Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

3 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

...Also, most players wont be burning through all of a trader's quests within one days time so its not really an issue as the trader's quests will probably reset by the time an average player can do all of the quests.

A potential exploit that I discovered on accident, but logging out of the world and then logging back in resets all the quests that the traders offer you. I don't want to know how many quests I accepted that I rightfully shouldn't have been offered in the first place. 😕

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Sometimes I loot an entire nearby building without being told to go there by a trader and I get some pretty good loot AND the trader still buys it from me....

Whaaaaa, you mean I don't have to grind quests endlessly because an onscreen sprite tells me too but create my own adventures? 🤣

8 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Working as intended if you ask me.  A good mix of some close and some far.  Sorta sets up the player to explore other towns/cities instead of following a linear path of doing 10 quests within a short distance from the trader before moving onto the next trader.  I guess it depends what is the design the devs have in mind when it comes to quests given by each specific trader.

In many linear games (e.g. world of warcraft) quest givers only give quests within a certain zone.  Although that is super convenient for the player, it creates a very linear type of gameplay which probably works okay for static maps like Navezgane but for RWG you sorta want that randomness to encourage exploration.  My 2 cents anywho...

...Also, most players wont be burning through all of a trader's quests within one days time so its not really an issue as the trader's quests will probably reset by the time an average play can do all of the quests.

While I generally agree with you,  more than 1.5km is a bit much. Imagine getting a quest in Whiterun to go fetch a daedric heart in Atmora (a far away "continent" north of Tamriel)

Edit : I've got all quests at 1.9 at some point.

3 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

While I generally agree with you,  more than 1.5km is a bit much. Imagine getting a quest in Whiterun to go fetch a daedric heart in Atmora (a far away "continent" north of Tamriel)

Yeah, all at 1.9 would suck, but if its a spread like the trader rekt screenshot above, looks good to me.

3 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Play in a 4k world and everything is closer. People want 8k worlds because they want to travel but then get mad when they....have to travel. ;)

Just now, Laz Man said:

Yeah, all at 1.9 would suck, but if its a spread like the trader rekt screenshot above, looks good to me.

I suggest you send a peace offering or make a ritualistic sacrifice to the RNG-esus every time you want to go questing then. ;) 

1 minute ago, Roland said:

Play in a 4k world and everything is closer. People want 8k worlds because they want to travel but then get mad when they....have to travel. ;)

I'm only mad because my character doesn't start off with a segway for easy and efficient transport. ;)

5 minutes ago, Roland said:

Robert should add an 8k travel quest to troll people... 

My game settings are default except for mark air drops on map and I personally like getting 2 perk points per level, but other than that, everything is vanilla. I saw that there is an update for no crosshairs while aiming over on nexus, so I’ll probably slap that on when I get home later. 

@madmole

(This is an edited version of the original reply to Joel's comment to my "feedback" on the game.)

Hello, sir Madmole

I am glad that you are thankful about the "feedback" I gave, but if I may. What do you think about the more "hardcore" feature I talked about, with it becoming more and more difficult as you go on that should bring a sense of "decay" to the world as you progress over time.

8 minutes ago, Roland said:

I was talking about 4k. Not enough memory for 8k, ya know. You can get far away quests in 4k too. Specially at the higher tiers. The difference of course is that 8k sends you to Mars more often than not.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Sometimes I loot an entire nearby building without being told to go there by a trader and I get some pretty good loot AND the trader still buys it from me....

Sorry, I can only do what the trader tells me. The game is kind of boring though, since I've been standing here for 3 months and this trader has said nothing.

Wait...nevermind...this is a tree.

1 minute ago, faatal said:

Sorry, I can only do what the trader tells me. The game is kind of boring though, since I've been standing here for 3 month and this trader has said nothing.

Knuckle rub him boys!

12 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

I was talking about 4k. Not enough memory for 8k, ya know. You can get far away quests in 4k too. Specially at the higher tiers. The difference of course is that 8k sends you to Mars more often than not.

At higher tiers? If you don't have at least a minibike at higher tiers, the Duke has a job as dishwasher for you 😀

1 minute ago, rivle said:

It seems we cant overeat anymore, is this intended or a bug?

It would logically be intended. Otherwise you'd have players overeating/overdrinking and not having to consume supplement again for a rather lengthy, if not unbalanced, amount of time.

1 minute ago, meganoth said:

At higher tiers? If you don't have at least a minibike at higher tiers, the Duke has a job as dishwasher for you 😀

What if the rest of us are concerned about pollution? ;)

27 minutes ago, Roland said:

I know you were joshing R, so not taking this out of context, but it does raise the question/issue.

I generally play 8k worlds _mostly_ to increase the chance of a Crack-a-Book tower or at least a Large CaB. That's really the main driver for me.

Not playing A19exp yet so no idea, have they added/changed any POIs so there are other 'good' places to loot books?

4 minutes ago, faatal said:

Sorry, I can only do what the trader tells me. The game is kind of boring though, since I've been standing here for 3 months and this trader has said nothing.

Did the tree look like trader Jen?  If so, I don't blame ya for standing there for so long....😁

1 minute ago, FileMachete said:

I know you were joshing R, so not taking this out of context, but it does raise the question/issue.

I generally play 8k worlds _mostly_ to increase the chance of a Crack-a-Book tower or at least a Large CaB. That's really the main driver for me.

Not playing A19exp yet so no idea, have they added/changed any POIs so there are other 'good' places to loot books?

i gen ed a good 8k seed and then manually added the prefabs missing

A19.0_2020-06-29_23-33-17.jpg

hmm.., that's not a bad idea @Laz Man while I've only recently played around a bit with prefab/world editor (and region reset bits) think I've got the basics enough to handle that. And it would beat gen'ing a map, search poi xml for skyscraper_02, if none, gen another map... 😒  Thanks for the idea :)

Edit: would still be nice to have a couple more 'book' poi in vanilla, imo of course, like a small town or rural library.. heck most grocery stores have magazines and books for sale, so a couple few book cases in Shamway wouldn't actually be out of place.

13 hours ago, madmole said:

What? All my quests are 300 meters to 1 km at most.  BTW, the game plays just fine without using traders.

Mine have a lot above 1k. My entire Day 1 list was 1.1km - 1.7km (they were all clears and fetches). It was kind of weird because the town my trader was in had a lot of tier 1 POIs.

This was in MP, so there may have been collisions with other player quests?

Archived