Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

using the blunderbuss feels nice!

Granted a new model would be nice but it works! it makes me want to see other back powder weapons!

Flintlocks, Muskets and revolving rifles! they would be nice for another alpha!

it feels good to beat a bloodmoon with you're bow and blunderbuss, plus could give some players another play through style! Pirate Challage!

33 minutes ago, DaVegaNL said:

Anyone else seeing big 'craters' where a POI is placed?

8 hours on my seed called Void (8x8km), not big anomalies yet (hope not) , had only one place where the road decided to grow up 4-5 blocks higher, but even with my bicycle it wasn`t a problem. I like how the rear tire spins, if I could do that with my bike irl would be insane lol. 

The experience so far is one of the best. All senses are back to panic mode on warrior, melee/int build. Love it.

I have FPS issues playing in 2k resolution in Ultra.  The max FPS i get is 55 and low 35. I noticed that if i go down in quality from Ultra to High i get just around 60FPS most of the times.

I see people here on forum playing in 4k Ultra with 60-70 FPS constantly and i really don't understand why i don't get the same in 2K with the rig i have: 

• GPU - GTX 1080 8gb
  • CPU - Ryzen 5 - 3600 - 3.6ghz
  • RAM - 16gb DDR4 3000mhz
  • SSD - Samsung - 1TB

Do i need to tweak the settings somehow to get that performance? 

Cheerio!

4 minutes ago, DaVegaNL said:

Yeah absolutely. The game runs much smoother (60-70 fps), and my GPU/CPU is running 10 degrees less than in A18. Overall great!

It's just that the map still has quite some big issues.

True, RWG is really complicated environment as a whole thing, visually some fixes could look simple, but might be a nightmare in the back end. At least we have the fun we want, and some day will be better. 

9 hours ago, madmole said:

What? All my quests are 300 meters to 1 km at most.  BTW, the game plays just fine without using traders.

My RWG multiplayer last night we had a trader outside of town that was a km away from spawn, and three of my 5 quests were 1.5+km away. The others were 6-700m out, in a wasteland town. So in some cases, not so much on the close stuff. 

4 hours ago, Black Hat said:

How's your game guys?

My game crashes the second I spawn. 

I can run the game on the Ultra Quality setting except for Texture Quality. That setting has to be at half textures for the game to run. That one setting is causing my game to crash immediately. I even set it to the Low settings and it will crash if using full textures. I always completely remove any mention of 7 Days or even Pimps from my computer before installing a new experimental. I've reinstalled once already which didn't help. Had zero problems with 18.4 and am going to try a few more things before submitting a ticket.

For reference my specs are:

GTX 1070 with 8GB

i5-4670K

16 GB ram

running on a 1920 x 1080 monitor

9 hours ago, Mahnogard said:

Maybe I've just been unlucky, but over the past few days in A19 I've rarely been able to get one under 1km. And the close ones were about two doors down from the trader. Most of the ones offered have been 1km - 1.5km. 

My gaming partner was in streamer weekend, so in between making videos with him, I played SP permadeath to give random gen a workout since I was going to wipe for this morning's update anyway. So I probably tried about 5 or 6 different world seeds out, all 4k size. I generally do long days (90 or 120 min) in SP so the distance doesn't bother me that much but having more closer would have been welcome.

I only play 8k, perhaps 4k works against us in this regard, less room to populate pois. 1.5 km is nothing if you have some mega crush, and make sure never to travel in anything above padded armor. I always unequip any armor with weight/movement penalty when walking and it makes a huge difference. Also never travel encumbered, store your loot in boxes to optimize time spent looting/returning to the trader. Collect it later when you get a vehicle.

8 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Does anybody know if gamestage influences the loot within bookshelves? (ie are you more likely to find higher end schematics and books at a higher gamestage?)

Not yet, but leveled loot for everything is probably coming eventually. I believe leveled ammo is coming in the first patch.

9 hours ago, madmole said:

What? All my quests are 300 meters to 1 km at most.  BTW, the game plays just fine without using traders.

There is definitely variance with RWG maps. On my first map, the trader did not offer any buried treasure quests and all other quests were 2km away. I immediately quit that map and generated another.  On my second map, the trader had multiple buried treasure quests but once they were exhausted all other quests were 1.5km away. I'm reserving judgment until I get to tier II and tier III quests to see if it improves.  If none of those have quests in the starter town, this will reduce the benefit of having traders spawn in towns as you still have to travel far distances to quest.   From a progression standpoint, I think it would be cool if the trader spawned in towns with enough tier 1s to get the player started questing.  Otherwise, you may be better off ignoring the trader until you have a vehicle.

Edit - Both maps were 8k RWG.

4 hours ago, Zombiepoptard said:

Saying that is like say Skyrim plays just fine without quests. Wtf kind of response is that. Just put a quest board in every town and city. Not asking much. Should have had it in the game already. Traders will still be useful for trading and story quests. Very passionate about this one. 

fixed the overly large text.

The distance might not be ideal yet, but I don't feel like it is all that bad as you make it out to be. In Skyrim if you resist the urge to fast travel it takes the better part of a 2 days to travel to, clear the dungeon and travel back to the quest giver.

I see the issue as you being impatient and having some odd belief that everything needs to be convenient and easy. Like I said the distance isn't ideal, but there is plenty to do along the way and nobody says you need to be home by dark. Instead of complaining about it, you could actually stop to smell the roses along the way, clear a few small POIs, and make an adventure out of it, rather than feeling like it has to get done in the next 5 minutes and creating a stressful situation. In Skyrim that happens all the time you are going somewhere, find a cave and decide to check it out and get side tracked.

I think people get over encumbered, wear heavy armor, and don't eat stamina boosting foods and stamina recovery boosting drinks, then complain about it. Yeah in that context travel sucks, but if you strip off your armor and don't get over encumbered, eat a stew chased by a coffee you can sprint 1.5 km in about 2 minutes, its nothing. Mega crush and its 1 minute or so. We've provided tools to make traveling long distances feel reasonable, use them.

3 hours ago, Taiga34 said:

Performance so far seems..... equal if not worse sadly for me.

And an issue has cropped up again after a long time.

Why does the game randomly change its resolution to my Native one? (4K)  I'm fully aware my PC cant run it on 4K, but it does that anyway and usually results in a hard crash.

And by this i mean, it changes itself from 1080p, to 4K between loading screens, when starting up, and even while playing the game itself. Sometimes i'd jsut loot a house, notice massive fps drop, and it'd change itself back to 4K.

How do i stop the bloody thing from doing so?

Make sure dynamic resolution is off, and set the resolution to 1080.

2 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

In my opinion the stamina cost with iron tools is a little too punishing. I'm currently sitting at Sex Rex 2/4, with a coffee buzz as well, and I'm still gassing out at around 9-10 swings. The iron shovel is peculiar though. It's a quality level 4, and I'm 3-shotting dirt, but after crafting a T4 stone shovel after getting fed up with my stamina falling constantly, I realized that it is also 3-shotting dirt. Hmm...

Edit: A crafted level 4 iron shovel has only +4 block damage compared to the stone shovel but with +6 stamina cost; truth be told, it feels like +10 stamina cost.

Once you level up some more and more importantly always eat a hearty cooked meal with a big stamina bonus, chased by coffee you should have very little issue with mining stamina.

1 hour ago, bobross said:

My RWG multiplayer last night we had a trader outside of town that was a km away from spawn, and three of my 5 quests were 1.5+km away. The others were 6-700m out, in a wasteland town. So in some cases, not so much on the close stuff. 

I like that its varies.  I had one less then 100 km away lol...(across the street).  Friggin rekt too lazy to cross the street to do it himself lol....

4 minutes ago, madmole said:

The distance might not be ideal yet, but I don't feel like it is all that bad as you make it out to be. In Skyrim if you resist the urge to fast travel it takes the better part of a 2 days to travel to, clear the dungeon and travel back to the quest giver.

I see the issue as you being impatient and having some odd belief that everything needs to be convenient and easy. Like I said the distance isn't ideal, but there is plenty to do along the way and nobody says you need to be home by dark. Instead of complaining about it, you could actually stop to smell the roses along the way, clear a few small POIs, and make an adventure out of it, rather than feeling like it has to get done in the next 5 minutes and creating a stressful situation. In Skyrim that happens all the time you are going somewhere, find a cave and decide to check it out and get side tracked.

I think people get over encumbered, wear heavy armor, and don't eat stamina boosting foods and stamina recovery boosting drinks, then complain about it. Yeah in that context travel sucks, but if you strip off your armor and don't get over encumbered, eat a stew chased by a coffee you can sprint 1.5 km in about 2 minutes, its nothing. Mega crush and its 1 minute or so. We've provided tools to make traveling long distances feel reasonable, use them.

Like I keep on saying, it all comes down to temptation and overcoming that with self-control. In A19 for example, if the trader is selling a level 2 M60 on day 1 and you know that buying it will butcher your progression for the next 5-6 weeks, then all you have to do is simply don't buy it. It may seem quick, easy, and satisfying at the initial purchase, but then you lack any kind of meaningful upgrades for goodness knows how long. Of course, many other examples from an almost endless amount of other titles could be brought into play here.

Thanks for answering my question; I'm wearing full scrap armor and I was complaining about "iron tools being too punishing stamina wise even though I had 2/4 Sex Rex going and coffee in my system". My bad, I am the fool here.

1 hour ago, DaVegaNL said:

Yeah absolutely. The game runs much smoother (60-70 fps), and my GPU/CPU is running 10 degrees less than in A18. Overall great!

It's just that the map still has quite some big issues.

This must be pretty subjective, my seeds have been fantastic so far. But I just play the game, I don't preview the map, I don't cheat and fly around, I see what I see playing organically. There could be roads crashing into mountains and craters yet, but so far I haven't seen anything too horrible one sloped road that I was still able to traverse on my bicycle. When in doubt I just go around and role play a bomb dropped there or something. Sometimes I fix the roads it gives me something to do and I feel like I'm improving the apocalypse. I only chop down dead trees too, at least where I am settled, unless they interfere with line of sight at my base for some sniping.

I played A19 for a couple hours last night (which... so much for paying attention in my morning meeting). And generally speaking, I've been getting as good or better performance as I did under A18, while looking much better.

But there is a big issue: A19 eats up a huge amount of RAM. Like, nearly twice the amount of RAM that A18 did. I have 12G of memory and between 7D2D, Steam, and the OS, I'm nearly out of memory.

I'm guessing this is due to the higher-resolution textures but that's just a guess.

My questions: Has anyone else noticed this? If not, is it a bug caused by my setup? Either way - does anyone know of any ways to bring the memory footprint down?

(If not, I'm afraid I won't be able to play any mods until I buy a new 'puter.)

My opinion about the ambient lighting and colorgrading:

Forest: looks good

Snow: look way better now

Desert: too low contrast between sunlight and shadows (like in an overcast sky), too strong reddish tone, ugly dust storm effect (looks like an eye condition). The desert used to look better.

Burnt forest & wasteland: they look too similar now (is the plan to combine those biomes and make room for another one?). The thick fog might make for a nice effect, but will make it hard to navigate.

Should occur only periodically.

24 minutes ago, madmole said:

This must be pretty subjective, my seeds have been fantastic so far. But I just play the game, I don't preview the map, I don't cheat and fly around, I see what I see playing organically. There could be roads crashing into mountains and craters yet, but so far I haven't seen anything too horrible one sloped road that I was still able to traverse on my bicycle. When in doubt I just go around and role play a bomb dropped there or something. Sometimes I fix the roads it gives me something to do and I feel like I'm improving the apocalypse. I only chop down dead trees too, at least where I am settled, unless they interfere with line of sight at my base for some sniping.

This is just a wild guess, but I think one of the things people are referring to are the steep cliffs that some of the wilderness POIs are spawning on top of.  TBH, the squarish cliffs look more realistic to me (maybe its the textures) versus the old cylindrical mounds in past alphas.

Aside from those, I am digging the topology especially the smaller bodies of water where it looks like the lake has dried up some.

Edit: Took some screenshots and attached.  I like the 3 POIs on the mountain.  The POI cut out into the mountain is alittle weird but no biggie to me.

A19.0_2020-06-30_09-12-49.jpg

A19.0_2020-06-30_09-13-54.jpg

A19.0_2020-06-30_09-13-19.jpg

The burnt forest looks absolutely amaze-balls. The random sounds give me goosebumps. The only issue I have come across is in the green forest, the grass and plants at sunset become kind of fuzzy to the eye and blurred together. Not sure if it’s just me and my eyesight going bad ( I’ve had eye surgery due to a tumor ), but I was just curious if anyone else noticed this. I run full textures and everything at high. DOF is off as well as motion blur.

BTW guys, just because the trader doesn't give you a dig quest right away doesn't mean there isn't any  viable spots in the area, it is random. The next day there might be dig quests available.

10 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

This is just a wild guess, but I think one of the things people are referring to are the steep cliffs that some of the wilderness POIs are spawning on top of.  TBH, the squarish cliffs look more realistic to me (maybe its the textures) versus the old cylindrical mounds in past alphas.

Aside from those, I am digging the topology especially the smaller bodies of water where it looks like the lake has dried up some.

Edit: Took some screenshots and attached.  I like the 3 POIs on the mountain.  The POI cut out into the mountain is alittle weird but no biggie to me.

A19.0_2020-06-30_09-12-49.jpg

A19.0_2020-06-30_09-13-54.jpg

A19.0_2020-06-30_09-13-19.jpg

Yikes, I haven't seen ANY of that, that looks pretty bad. FYI, RWG will be a strike teams top focus for A20. We're going to give Robert all the support he needs to get it shippable once and for all. Closer quest POIs will be part of that improvement as well as fixing roads and issues like this.

Archived