Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

1 minute ago, katarynna said:

The thin blue line under your tool belt is thirst. The thin green line is hunger.

Oh, thank you so much!!

What about adding an option to players to choose if they want to see the enemies health bars? I mean, we could see it in devs streams... It would be so helpful sometimes :D

23 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Wha? I want you to call me out too! . Nice report nevertheless! It would be of better help to put the exact timestamp on the video, rather than saying "watch these couple of days and tell me if I'm wrong".

I have a better idea, we can ask  @faatal  to create an AI interface using only ASCII and punch card computers so we can better report every single bug regarding his purpose as a human being. But don't get fixed on in! 

It was not hard to see. Took like 2 seconds. That exploit should also be in a18, so surprised it took this long to point out.

14 minutes ago, madmole said:

Most likely you are running a pregen from A18 or something, if the biomes look spotchy and overlap you know you are on A18. Make sure to give your new rwg a new unique name or it will just be A18.

I haven't found any big problems with the random gen other than flying birdnests ( almost 1 meter up in the sky) and a car (2 meters up). I will start reporting soon with screenshots, seed, coordinates and my dog's credit card number.

11 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Well... @madmole , do you remember the data collection ? 

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197993374324/recommended/251570/

As I said, backlash is always there to some degree. People won't understand even if you put neon signs in their faces stating that you are handsome. They will always comment about the baldness.

Must be sad for him to give up his Unity games since Unity data collects and Steam, since it data collects and Windows/Mac since.......

43 minutes ago, katarynna said:

The treasure map chest was locked and had 7k hitpoints. it took awhile with my q2 stone axe for sure. And I am perfectly happy with both the loot i received and the things I bought with it.

But >20k dukes for a day 1 treasure map seems to be not in-line with what tfp wants. 

I am quite happy if it doesn't change, but thought i should mention it in case it was forgotten or not gotten around to on the loot rebalance.

You earned those dukes by gong through 7000 hp with a stone axe LOL...

1 hour ago, Tin said:

*Fingers crossed* Good luck!

I think it was this that made it work, that or the reboot.  :D

I was worried at first, I put it on my external drive, and when I started the game the system said the drive had encountered a fatal error and I needed to scan and repair.  After that was done it seems to be working.  I'm currently at 34% downloading the world.

Yay!

18 minutes ago, faatal said:

Must be sad for him to give up his Unity games since Unity data collects and Steam, since it data collects and Windows/Mac since.......

Its funny...I commented on that guys review and linked him to steam's privacy policy.  Guess he should also stop playing all steam games LOL......

1 minute ago, Adam the Waster said:

I love A19!

it runs nice for me! 40 to 50 FPS! best i got!

Feels great using stone age weapons and blunderbuss!

Zombies Models is my favorite about the update!

its just great!!! Thank you TFP!

Generally, it runs the same  as a18. It's really hard for me to spot a noticeable difference between the two, but if I had something to say, I would point out that heavily populated areas got a tiny increase in fps (1-3 frames). Zds run the same as 18 and the HD tradeoff seems to be, well, incredibly small if any. 

Overall, a very stable experience, but it will only get worse from here.

If TFP don't find a way to force the use of all the cores and threads of the CPU the way "THEY" want and not just with the soft Unity "pseudo-multithread", it will get bad when more entities and particles come in. 

A custom multithread support will result in:

1-More Zds. Example: Ryzen 3950x 16 cores can take 200 entities on the screen in a fully optimized multithreaded support (Bannerlord has 1000 complex pathing ai battles, a voxel game could theoretically take 150-200 without further problems, 100 with the average 8 cores )

2- Better building collapse.

3- Faster and more complex pathing.

4- An incredible boost in the overall performance of the game in certain situations.

5- Better particle performance.

6- Prime gets more hair.

7- More stable multiplayer experience

8- Bigger POIs

9- More complex quests.

10- Talking Zombie Cacti

etc....

So.... hiring a couple of Engine programmers would do wonders. I mean I know Unity is not a keeper,but custom multithreading code will literally FIX the big problem of completing the game with the vision ( that Rick keeps talking about) and scope intended for this game.

3 hours ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

i love how the zombies are a little creepier, they stare at you and their heads dont move when you hit them, like they are locked on hahaha, if thats a bug i think its awesome

Not a bug, just needs some more polish to not be so ON all the time.

3 hours ago, Jay_ombie said:

I talked about this one way back and I am sure Fataal said they remodelled them for A19. Its a small thing I know but looks so 90's and they are in your face A LOT.

The artist who updated the trees said he was planning on fixing it, but then there was some tech issue with speed tree and potential performance hit, so still on his todo list.

I've had it with this broken questing system. I really want to enjoy just hopping from poi doing objectives and have a good time. The quest have me going so far and give so littler rewards I just can't do it. I invited my friend over to play 7 days to die and I wanted to do a quest. Bad first impression because by the time we picked up the quest and ran to it, it was not time. Dude was like fun game I'm going to leave now. Hearing you guys talk about new player experience and not talk about how much time it takes to do one quest. Just add at least one quest giver or quest board in every city. I would imaged that's not hard to implement. I would really like to quest but i should have to seek the traders to do so. It's not fun at all. Back tracking in a game where you can:

1. Break your leg

2. have a stamina bar

3. Drink water to improve maintain stamina bar

4.  over encumbered by weight

Really just put salt on a 1.7kb quest to and from.

1 hour ago, katarynna said:

Loving everything about a19 so far. It is vibrant and beautiful and runs smooth as butter.

The only issue I have come across ( which I was fine with but seems to be contrary to the progression philosophy) is treasure maps.

I found one on day one and between the dukes in the chest and the diamonds, gold and silver to sell, I got over 20k dukes. Since the trader inventory also hasn't been adjusted, I have a blue quality pistol, and a yellow double barrel shotgun and baseball bat.

If I was bothered by that, I just wouldn't have bought them... but I wanted them so i did lol.

But to keep stone age valid, the treasure map loot may need a look.

Fabulous job all around though. You guys do great work.

As I have said a few times, it all comes down to temptation and overcoming that with self-control. Never do something if you know you might regret it later. ;) But hey, to each their own. (I personally won't be buying weapons, tools, or armor from the traders.)

My performance in A17 was around 60-70 FPS. In A18, it never went above 50, usually sticking around the 40 range. Now the FPS, even at Ultra+ settings across the board, matches A17, and in some environments (like the burnt forest) it reaches well past 80 FPS. Great job Faatal, and anyone else working on this (unless it was just you?). :D

I'm surprised you guys are getting better performance, I am getting pretty low performance for some reason. With a Ryzen 2700x, 1080 TI, 32GB DDR4 3200MHZ  RAM, and the game on an SSD I'm getting 35-50-ish FPS just sitting in a small building next to the trader on the outskirts of a tiny town. Computer of that level should definitely be running a bit smoother, I even turned shadows and water down a bit  and eeked out a few more frames but not a whole lot

Also I got screwed by my random gen, I was over 2KM from my trader for the quest and he's in like a 4 building town with no other towns near it and I didn't even get a dig quest lol

Did you guys roll random? If so, how was your luck

Is it normal for the game to use all 8GB of VRAM at ultra? Also the game crashed my PC earlier (most unity games do after some time) and none of my progress was saved at all. Just curious if anyone else has seen this issue.

image.jpg

17 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

I'm surprised you guys are getting better performance, I am getting pretty low performance for some reason. With a Ryzen 2700x, 1080 TI, 32GB DDR4 3200MHZ  RAM, and the game on an SSD I'm getting 35-50-ish FPS just sitting in a small building next to the trader on the outskirts of a tiny town. Computer of that level should definitely be running a bit smoother, I even turned shadows and water down a bit  and eeked out a few more frames but not a whole lot

Also I got screwed by my random gen, I was over 2KM from my trader for the quest and he's in like a 4 building town with no other towns near it and I didn't even get a dig quest lol

My luck was good. Only 300m from my trader. Although my PC crashed (unity issues sadly with my rig) and had to restart completely even though my save was there.

19 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

I can't believe I didn't snap a pic, but I was so exhausted that I just wanted to go to bed, so I just played for a few minutes and then logged off. But anyhoo, I spawned looking at my trader; he was literally across the road from me. 🤣

(posted to the A19 bug forum as well)

So i am coming back to the game after a year.  I deleted all the stuffs in the launcher as someone mentioned.  I just wanted to see a few Seeds first while the kiddos were up... I loaded 3 seeds in the in game generator to see what they looked like.  BelleS1119, BelleS1113 and XN1952.

BelleS1119 had green forest all in the center and all 4 sides of the map a different biom (similar to the picture below)
BelleS1113 ran this one just to see if it was a fluke, very similar but the side bioms were broken up a bit
XN1952 ran this just to be much different and it was nearly the same as the first. image below.

Am I doing something wrong.. or is this a experimental thing... Just curious

image.thumb.png.9d086fb3b09d59d64e28663d4bebd2ae.png

Just now, Frostyxn said:

(posted to the A19 bug forum as well)

So i am coming back to the game after a year.  I deleted all the stuffs in the launcher as someone mentioned.  I just wanted to see a few Seeds first while the kiddos were up... I loaded 3 seeds in the in game generator to see what they looked like.  BelleS1119, BelleS1113 and XN1952.

BelleS1119 had green forest all in the center and all 4 sides of the map a different biom (similar to the picture below)
BelleS1113 ran this one just to see if it was a fluke, very similar but the side bioms were broken up a bit
XN1952 ran this just to be much different and it was nearly the same as the first. image below.

Am I doing something wrong.. or is this a experimental thing... Just curious

image.thumb.png.9d086fb3b09d59d64e28663d4bebd2ae.png

I'm pretty sure this is the new "random" world gen they were talking about. 😛 (I'm personally okay with it, but it does look unnatural.)

Are there any "gotchas" to running the Dedi server in A19?  Mine doesn't seem to pop up even the console like it used to, and as far as I can tell isn't running.   It does the initial command box, then once you hit space and it closes... nothing.

6 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I'm pretty sure this is the new "random" world gen they were talking about. 😛 (I'm personally okay with it, but it does look unnatural.)

Oh no... Well, yeah, i guess i am okay with it as it is simple to know the map (even if you dont peak at the in-game generator). But very unnatural!

7 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Last I saw the new random biomes that were generated, it was much more jagged and random, so maybe it changed for the worse.

1 minute ago, faatal said:

Last I saw the new random biomes that were generated, it was much more jagged and random, so maybe it changed for the worse.

I spawned in facing a jagged cliff that was like 30 blocks high and one block thick, so can confirm it still does some silly things. Thus far I've traveled over 2KM just to get to my trader and yet to see any other biome than forest,  did you guys make the forest biome bigger for the Noob Spawn Safety System™? I normally build in snow biome when I can, but may have just gotten unlucky with rng

Archived