Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

2 minutes ago, weren said:

I play from 11-12 alpha. I like this game.You worked for so many years to make the game super atmospheric and you did it. Please remove the drone. It destroys the theme of the apocalypse.

My eyes. I love the drone. In real life it's easy enough to make one having the proper software. So fits right in for the game. I think it is a bit too good for INT though, why, you ask?

In theory, baton should have 3 tiers and turrets 3 tiers (sledge, junk and flamethrower)

Adding the drone to an attribute instead of as a vehicle unbalances the build because you have : free 27 (or so) storage slots + free healing on top of the physician perk ( or at least double the healing ratio) + a decoy + a bit of extra attack power.

(As in a18) If we have just  1 single tier of melee (baton) and 2 turrets it goes below the average build in overall combat power because a handheld turret doesn' t do "krhap" in intense combat scenarios, melee or otherwise. So even though turrets are cool and tactically amazing, they end up being very limited in range and overall combat handling.

My ideal INT is 3 melee tiers of batons and 3 turrets, (sledge junk and famethrower)

25 minutes ago, weren said:

I play from 11-12 alpha. I like this game.You worked for so many years to make the game super atmospheric and you did it. Please remove the drone. It destroys the theme of the apocalypse.

how? its not like it fires lasers!

at first when Madmole described the drone! i was kinda on the same boat cuz i thought it was going to be a hovering piece of metal and it would be OP! but with the way it looks! (granted it needs 2 more fans to stay up in the air realistically! but) its much better then i though!   

plus its not really a Fighter! its a helper! and plus i think Madmole said it can talk! so i can finial play with someone without talking to my can of sham! 

5 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

I like drones to peer in my neighbors windows

i like to put saw blades on it and fly them at road!

7 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

My ideal INT is 3 melee tiers of batons and 3 turrets, (sledge junk and famethrower)

i Hope they add more batons! and maybe another weapon or maybe a armor for intellect!

it kinda drives me CRAZY! when i see 2 perk lines with 2 weapon skills while the rest have 3! (i know its a strange pet peeve)

Maybe 

Spoiler

Tier 1: Junk baton! weak power and ok damage!

Tier 2: stun baton!  better stun ability and good damage

Tier 3: Tesla Baton! Super Strong power to the point that it can burn away Limbs! and good damage!

and for the other class! maybe it could be Intellect weapon class. like Guns or maybe Armor

what? i don't know!

20 minutes ago, Guppys Fur said:

Please use the standard writing style. colors/Sizes should be for Staff in my opinion to highlight for players attention.

Thanks mate.

This. I dont get the complains like the ones he made. You dont like it, dont use it.

Roleplay after all. Would be the same if a guy that only likes to use clubs asks to remove all firearm.

This. I don't like every weapon in the game, so I don't use them. I don't say to remove them though as some people like them and it fits their play style. Drones exist IRL already, so in 2034 when the bombs drop, I'm sure it will be even less of a stretch. IMO we'll have little drones in our house than can "fetch" stuff like water, keys, etc by then.

3 minutes ago, madmole said:

This. I don't like every weapon in the game, so I don't use them. I don't say to remove them though as some people like them and it fits their play style. Drones exist IRL already, so in 2034 when the bombs drop, I'm sure it will be even less of a stretch. IMO we'll have little drones in our house than can "fetch" stuff like water, keys, etc by then.

If look away from some of the specifics and annotations to the game - what is happening in the game looks like the 80th years.

4 minutes ago, madmole said:

i mean if anyone has the know how! they could make a drone with a old shoe!

5 minutes ago, madmole said:

I honestly believe its comparable to cell phones.

In the 90s it was a rare thing, some even thought it was a Trend thing and would go away again. And over time it reached the whole world and everyone uses a smartphone daylie and that for multiple Purposes like calls, gaming, Source of info etc.

Same might apply with Drones in the next 10-20 years.

6 minutes ago, n2n1 said:

Me too. I would like to praise the modeller who drew it.

By the way... why is it so small in the game?

Actually I was a little disappointed at the size too. But on the other hand I know from other games that follower NPS always tend to block your view so I don't mind it being small.

17 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

I like drones to peer in my neighbors windows

The pervect suburban resident.

51 minutes ago, weren said:

I mean, you need intelligence at max or so to make one (So you probably are a really smart engineer), now see how many youtube videos of "Making a homemade drone" are (So in case of an Apocalypse coming today, there is a fair amount of people that may know how to make a drone, and those people may teach another survivors how to make them).

Now, imagine there is an apocalypse and you have access to tech, you only have to steal(loot) it.
¿What prevents you from making a drone?

29 minutes ago, Guppys Fur said:

This. I dont get the complains like the ones he made. You dont like it, dont use it.

Roleplay after all. Would be the same if a guy that only likes to use clubs asks to remove all firearm.

I assume the complaints are coming from people who play on MP servers (that they don't host) who are nervous that their particular preferences won't be widely held (and therefore modded out by the server owners) and so they are trying to pressure  the devs to remove a feature they don't like. Otherwise, the complaint seems pointless for solo player games.

3 minutes ago, Trankitas said:

I mean, you need intelligence at max or so to make one (So you probably are a really smart engineer), now see how many youtube videos of "Making a homemade drone" are (So in case of an Apocalypse coming today, there is a fair amount of people that may know how to make a drone, and those people may teach another survivors how to make them).

Now, imagine there is an apocalypse and you have access to tech, you only have to steal(loot) it.
¿What prevents you from making a drone?

Plus, there's no lore yet, they can do any lore they want to fit the world already created. Example: in fallout there is nuclear fusion cores as source of insane power to power those futuristic guns/robots/more.

9 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

i Hope they add more batons! and maybe another weapon or maybe a armor for intellect!

it kinda drives me CRAZY! when i see 2 perk lines with 2 weapon skills while the rest have 3! (i know its a strange pet peeve)

Maybe 

Reveal hidden contents

Tier 1: Junk baton! weak power and ok damage!

Tier 2: stun baton!  better stun ability and good damage

Tier 3: Tesla Baton! Super Strong power to the point that it can burn away Limbs! and good damage!

and for the other class! maybe it could be Intellect weapon class. like Guns or maybe Armor

what? i don't know!

@madmole has stated that it would be cool to have more melee for INT while also stating the exact opposite because of something called "gold" or some nonsense like that , and also that they have a flamethrower model. So if time permits INT could be CONSISTENT with the 3 tiers of melee and 3 tiers of ranged/robotic without forcing a whole follower into the build creating a balance nightmare.

I mean, I know what I see, and I know what I personally will feel when playing a19. The feeling is that The drone (AKA Karen in my mind) should be, - as Rick suggested- a follower-type vehicle tied to nothing more than a quest, like in Fallout New Vegas.

2 hours ago, madmole said:

I did a club/shotgun build and ONLY used shotgun in rare situations. That is just me though, Nomad was too easy so I turned it up to Warrior now and 24 alive. 32 alive lags for me and isn't worth it. However the chance to get a crit has been increased a lot since I did that build, so things might have changed. I got wrecked a couple times in my latest new game.

You a badass, so that doesn't count.  :)

To be honest, I'm a bit nervous about my first play though of A19.  Its been a LONG time since I felt that feeling!

10 minutes ago, MajorMunchy said:

I am suprised. He DID claim every waepon has a tier 1-3...so stun baton is  an exception? or is it the red headed step child?

The robotics have three levels (sledge, turret, drone). I think there in an understandable reluctance to give the intellect tree (which unlocks crafting and reduces crafting times and costs) a melee weapon that rivals that of other trees. Besides an unperked AK47 has always been more than enough in previous alphas. 

2 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

@madmole has stated that it would be cool to have more melee for INT while also stating the exact opposite because of something called "gold" or some nonsense like that , and also that they have a flamethrower model. So if time permits INT could be CONSISTENT with the 3 tiers of melee and 3 tiers of ranged/robotic without forcing a whole follower into the build creating a balance nightmare.

I mean, I know what I see, and I know what I personally will feel when playing a19. The feeling is that The drone (AKA Karen in my mind) should be, - as Rick suggested- a follower-type vehicle tied to nothing more than a quest, like in Fallout New Vegas.

for the flamethrower Madmole said that it was a trap! and with melee weapons! i don't think it would be hard for them to make. but again who knows! there may be alot more weapons to come in Intellect  

Well, i will try to explain why a companion in the form of a modern drone does not look "cool" during the zombie Apocalypse.

This is a cinematic technique: - it uses contrasts.

So, a man with a stone axe batter a super-modern robot - looks cool.

But a military helicopter shooting homing missiles at mountain Bedouins on donkeys - suck...

You catching my drift ?

The companion should correspond not to the epoch that has passed but to the one that has come. For example, a Dog, Wolf or even Cat would be better suited for this role.

Archived