Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

4 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Alternative interpretation of the sentence: Infections increase over time, but side effects (like maybe lowered stamina) start at 5%.

He didn't quote the whole section which doesn't really support that alternate reading. Here's what the section says in its entirety:

Infection is not something that enemies cause directly. Any critical hit has a chance to cause an infection. An infection is completely harmless and will even heal on it’s own… until it reaches 5%. At that point it starts getting worse and you need medication to cure it. While you have an infection any hit you take will make it worse.

4 hours ago, Jarod_Silverstar said:

Okay - did a quick first pass through the rn and one item did stick out.

Blood moon zombies will 50/50 teleport closer or die if target player is far away

@madmole - can you explain this a little further? I assume that means that if your bedroll is some distance away from where you are fighting the horde and you are killed, some zombies will move to a location close to where you respawned so there is a risk of them finding you and attacking. I am okay with that, but does this also mean that if you are found and fight back, the horde spawn will start up again and rush you in the new location?

Sounds like a great way to get people into a death spiral...

Blood moon zombies always know where players are unless the player has immunity after they died. The teleport/death is for when you run off or drive off into the night and get far enough away from the existing zombies, that they can no longer path to you. They would then be stuck and use up a slot in you max spawn count, so no new ones could spawn either. The simple fix is to teleport them near you just like they normally spawn near you or kill them and let the next one spawn.

4 hours ago, danielspoa said:

about the backpack having a chance to disappear, its moddable right? 😨

Backpacks don't have a chance to disappear from game design. They have a chance to disappear from the elusive "my packpack is gone" bug, which is the addition logging the change notes are referring to (improved logging to show id, player id, removal reason and entity unload). We need to reword that change.

3 hours ago, Freshmint said:

@faatal Loving the more robust hit boxes and detection which was lacking in A18. The only thing missing is a small bloody decal on the zombie knowing you've visually hit mainly from guns. Could this make its way to A19?

Raner did a pass adjusting some zombie hitboxes. Not sure what else changed where it would feel much different. Little things add up. I'd still like a bigger overhaul of hit ranges, interpolation and network timing at some point.

16 minutes ago, faatal said:

Blood moon zombies always know where players are unless the player has immunity after they died. The teleport/death is for when you run off or drive off into the night and get far enough away from the existing zombies, that they can no longer path to you. They would then be stuck and use up a slot in you max spawn count, so no new ones could spawn either. The simple fix is to teleport them near you just like they normally spawn near you or kill them and let the next one spawn.

Ah - I had it backwards in assuming it would come into play on a death. Glad to hear I was wrong. But as for a fix for the people running from the horde it makes sense. Thank you.

6 hours ago, Khalagar said:
  • Zombie random move speeds based on difficulty

Whoa, this is a completely new change (to me at least) that could be pretty interesting. I like it, although later on basically all zombies run anyway so I just expect everything and it's mother too to be feral. This is pretty interesting for early game, and a good change imo.

It is not a huge difference. It adds randomness to the aggro (day speed) when an animal or zombie is created, so it provides more variety when they are chasing you. 5 Arlenes would each have slightly different speeds as they follow you. Can be changed in xml.

@madmole I know this may not be your greatest concern atm, but i did just want drop a thought concerning the drone. I saw in video mention of fuel for the drone. and a concept i think would work is this:

a charging station. idk what it takes to build a drone or the materials, but give it a time limit using the battery system that is used for bases. you can either take it home and attach it to special charging dock, maybe reskin the battery bank for that. or maybe use the battery bank ui to put a battery(s) to keep it running, where battery quality determines length of use

8 hours ago, Roland said:

We are all streamers now....?

Or is my offer for $100 to the streamer that lets me be their "assistant", paying off?

Note: $100 will not be given, but in Dukes at the standard international exchange rates.

10 hours ago, Guppycur said:

No, it addresses the actual stated problem, that being "people were just spamming stone axes to get points".  It's not semantics, it's exact.  If the problem is "people were just spamming stone axes to get points", then that would be what is needed to fix. 

They did not.  They removed the entire system instead.

Yes, and some people like to make it sound as if that was the only reason. It wasn't.

10 hours ago, Roland said:

It's always possible for metrics to be misinterpreted but I think the things they are looking at will be pretty cut and dry. Mostly, it will be used to justify stuff they wanted to do no matter what...heheh

You'll eat your broccoli and you'll like it!

3 hours ago, Guppycur said:

Yo F...

...canGPS would make a fine entityclass XML property... 

When the world event system is expanded to more than the simple blood moon time tracker it is now, then we may end up with a lot of variety for these events, which would probably be defined in xml.

8 hours ago, MajorMunchy said:

Im suprised they do this. i would think it would make more sense to do a hyped midnight on saturday/sunday release. 

they coudl do a dev stream RIGHT before just answering questions and hyping us up, give away keys etc. bet lots of people would stay pu until 12 to play!

1. Weekend gives them free advertisement from streamers. Want full debate/explanation, I believe its in General Discussion thread.

2. Why are you making them work extra hours. Monday is start of work week, so they are ready to start squashing but that get reported and have full week to do it.

This is promotion, not "releasing A19".

Releasing on a Friday and possibly running into a tiny little game-stopping bug? On a weekend? That's not nearly as good an idea as some think it is. =P

Also:

When over-analysing patch notes, keep in mind that this was a long time and changes occasionally have been changed again and again later on.

Only a handful of nerds read the whole thing so it's certainly good enough.

That something is "fixed" doesn't mean it stays fixed or that there won't be regressions due to the fix, leading to the ticket to be reopened.

It's just how things go.

I hope that in A19 the lowest-tier and very forgettable foods have a 0% chance of dysentery (formerly food poisoning), to make them somewhat more attractive very early game. You know, like cornbread, corn on the cob, baked potatoes, boiled eggs. Unless you're incredibly new to the game, no one really makes these foods to my knowledge.

Edit: They also shouldn't be unlocked behind any schematics/Master Chef, since they give you so little in return in terms of benefits. (I'm looking at you, cornbread. Why do you have to be the odd one out?) By making them, the player is sacrificing precious early game ingredients, like potatoes, corn, and eggs, to cook these less-than-stellar foods, which I think is fair.

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

Yes, and some people like to make it sound as if that was the only reason. It wasn't.

Madmole on the stream said it the best.

How do you raise your armour skill, run into a cactus 1000 times?

I just want to say thank you to the entire Fun Pimps team for making such a awesome game, that we love and cherish.

I've just spent my final moments in Alpha 18, resting on a large hill next to a lit campfire, my bedroll, and my junk turret and bicycle, filling my character up with various foods and drinks, watching the sunset and then... logging off for the final time. Fun Pimps, I once again feel the need to thank you for this incredible game. I have by far the most hours in this game compared to others - I have just reached 2,800 hours - and it has honestly changed my life. Alpha 19 couldn't come fast enough! Like the zombies, I hunger for more.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived