Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

I love these updates, but must confess that it does feel weird not giving TFP any $ whatsoever throughout all these updates. Now, on one hand I get it because it is not Gold yet, and I do hope you come out with DLC expansions after you do go gold. I have been watching another crafting/survival game, Space Engineers, try out a method, which was awkward at first, but I think is working well for both them and their player base. When they come out with updates they are 2-fold, with free blocks and other features, and then an optional paid DLC with even more content, typically more on the cosmetic(optional) side. The only catch is that without the paid DLC you cannot create those blocks, but you can still see and interact with them. Not only do I think this is an interesting way to introduce DLC into a voxel world crafting game, the DLC is less than $5 (3.99)each time, so it's more than reasonable, and is allowing that studio to keep running(growing even) well post-gold. 

And they name dropped like 8 community modders who they worked with on their latest DLC, lot of new stuff in vanilla game now that came straight from the mod community. I also think they do a great job at integrating Workshop mods into the vanilla game, it is rly easy to find and install mods through an in-game menu, no need for other software overlays or forcing the player to go messing around with game file folders. It works well, and I hope 7DTD has some kind of straight-forward in-game way to add/remove and turn mods on/off when workshop becomes a thing.

Anyway, just an example from another popular voxel game, though I did and still do roll my eyes just a bit when I think of SE as being "gold", it still needs a ton more actual game play mechanics. However the things they have done since, including yesterdays new content drop, has more than made up for it. The updates being partially free and part DLC works well, the cost is low and lets players support Keen, and it is great to see Keen further embrace their mod community as well. They've turned around nicely, and have a good setup to keep income rolling so they can keep going. Just sayin, if/when you do come out with DLC, I am eager to support you that way.

My income fluctuates wildly, but I do like to support games I enjoy when I haz the $. I have every single DLC for Space Engineers, and... I almost don't want to think about, or admit, how much I have spent on Rainbow 6 Seige(only FPS I play anymore, love it)... between me and my 14 yr old son... over the years... hundreds, plural... So do something, please, it feels weeeeeird.

5 hours ago, Blake_ said:

@faatal , did you watch the gameplay of Rick, Latham and madmole ?

As you can see, they were ALL clients, and Zds dying standing were common (also dogs, but there weren't many in the video ) . There was another problem with the wolf/dog that happens on clients too : he faces downwards and moves normal without sticking out of the floor again. Usually happens when going downstairs and he attacks from there or could be a mere facing problem.

I've watched most of our streams. Saw the standing.

AI standing deaths are must fixes that I've been working on this week:

Fixed SDTD-11108 Zombies left standing after death for clients (Fixed server controlled entities (turrets) not sending damage they cause to the client that owns them).
Fixed SDTD-13118 Zombies can stand after death (after falling) (Added death check for CanFall and SetFallAndGround func, which StartDeathAnimation calls to clear fall).
Fixed SDTD-13121 Spider zombies can be standing after being killed (Fixed leg crippling turning spiders into walk type cripple).

1 hour ago, Guppycur said:

Oh, and to my point, I'd hate to see something like the blunderbuss be removed because "no one uses it", when the /reason/ may be a simple fix.  Tfp has a history of removing rather than fixing what was wrong with things (miss you LBD!). 

The blunderbuss will be the most used firearm IMO. That doesn't mean it's great or fun, it just means the new primitive stage and loot are encouraging its use.

@faatal, good to see these are being worked on. Does this include the cases where is a zombie is in the process of falling down or standing up when they are killed and jerk into a full standing position to being the death animation?

Hopefully the animation blending you talked about on zombie reactions when hit will help play into this but figured I would ask.

13 minutes ago, madmole said:

I call him Super Shawn for a reason :)

Good Afternoon MM, are you HYPED for the release?!?  Think the release notes will be out today?

I really enjoyed your stream with rick and lathan.  It was cool to see both you and rick tag team that safe at the beginning despite your obviously different playstyles and skills.  I hope the game is still very much how you both envisioned it (or more) many years ago over thanks giving dinner. :)

My brother and I have many different things different between us but gaming is that one thing that we can enjoy together.  Especially 7d2d.  We are anxiously waiting to update our rented server and see what new experiences we can have together. :)

Release date?!? For this game??? Ok who are you and what have you done with The Fun Pimps? 

I just popped back in and the first thing I see is an estimated release date for Alpha-19 for June 29 in a bright red box on top of the forum. What's up with that? 

We don't ever give out release dates, no not ever. Really??? lol 😆

32 minutes ago, Mechanimal said:

I love these updates, but must confess that it does feel weird not giving TFP any $ whatsoever throughout all these updates. Now, on one hand I get it because it is not Gold yet, and I do hope you come out with DLC expansions after you do go gold. I have been watching another crafting/survival game, Space Engineers, try out a method, which was awkward at first, but I think is working well for both them and their player base. When they come out with updates they are 2-fold, with free blocks and other features, and then an optional paid DLC with even more content, typically more on the cosmetic(optional) side. The only catch is that without the paid DLC you cannot create those blocks, but you can still see and interact with them. Not only do I think this is an interesting way to introduce DLC into a voxel world crafting game, the DLC is less than $5 (3.99)each time, so it's more than reasonable, and is allowing that studio to keep running(growing even) well post-gold. 

Spoiler

And they name dropped like 8 community modders who they worked with on their latest DLC, lot of new stuff in vanilla game now that came straight from the mod community. I also think they do a great job at integrating Workshop mods into the vanilla game, it is rly easy to find and install mods through an in-game menu, no need for other software overlays or forcing the player to go messing around with game file folders. It works well, and I hope 7DTD has some kind of straight-forward in-game way to add/remove and turn mods on/off when workshop becomes a thing.

Anyway, just an example from another popular voxel game, though I did and still do roll my eyes just a bit when I think of SE as being "gold", it still needs a ton more actual game play mechanics. However the things they have done since, including yesterdays new content drop, has more than made up for it. The updates being partially free and part DLC works well, the cost is low and lets players support Keen, and it is great to see Keen further embrace their mod community as well. They've turned around nicely, and have a good setup to keep income rolling so they can keep going. Just sayin, if/when you do come out with DLC, I am eager to support you that way.

My income fluctuates wildly, but I do like to support games I enjoy when I haz the $. I have every single DLC for Space Engineers, and... I almost don't want to think about, or admit, how much I have spent on Rainbow 6 Seige(only FPS I play anymore, love it)... between me and my 14 yr old son... over the years... hundreds, plural... So do something, please, it feels weeeeeird.

No one is stopping you, from giving them more money. You can easily send them a check every major alpha build, or whatever you think, is good enough. I'm sure they wouldn't mind. ;)

Maybe start buying their merchandise, and that can fulfill your "need", to give more every so often?

21 minutes ago, madmole said:

The blunderbuss will be the most used firearm IMO. That doesn't mean it's great or fun, it just means the new primitive stage and loot are encouraging its use.

thats good to hear! 

'maybe one day there could be other black powder weapons? so anyone with any gun class can use it early

Flintlock = pistol

Musket = Rifle

Blunderbuss = shotgun

revolving rifle = AR

Primitive bow = Bows!

image of the revolving rifle! 

Spoiler

Remington Revolving Rifle: Loading and Shooting Remington's First ...

but that may be a bit much..... maybe ill make a pimp dreams post on it!

7 minutes ago, Tin said:

No one is stopping you, from giving them more money. You can easily send them a check every major alpha build, or whatever you think, is good enough. I'm sure they wouldn't mind. ;)

Maybe start buying their merchandise, and that can fulfill your need to just give more, every so often?

Well I just ordered a shirt, they be outta mugs. 

Feels good fam.

15 minutes ago, Damocles said:

Interesting, so clients share the AI pathfinding workload?

I can only deduce from Faatals info that damage is calculated at the server (good 😉) and the animation to show at the client (standing up versus lying down)

Just now, Mechanimal said:

Well I just ordered a shirt, they be outta mugs. 

Feels good fam.

I hope they make a bigger coffee mug. The first run one, is a neat little conversation piece. 

I would like a slightly bigger one though, for drinking out of :)

Just now, Tin said:

I hope they make a bigger coffee mug. The first run one, is a neat little conversation piece. 

I would like a slightly bigger one though, for drinking out of :)

Well yeah it is way too small, I would get one for the same reason, and/or for my kids or visitors to use. My personal coffee mug holds at least twice that if not more, and I needs it that way. So a 7DTD mug would def be more of a collectible, but I will wear the shirt!

7 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I can only deduce from Fataals info that damage is calculated at the server (good 😉) and the animation to show at the client (standing up versus lying down)

If clients "own" Actors, it might very well be that the server delegates calculation costs (pathfinding being probably the most costly) to clients that have them in their local area. This allows for a lot larger client numbers (and zombies for that matter) in the end.

can we get XML to explore for modding during the weekend?

--------

note: I also miss LBD so much. Rick answered about it during a previous stream, very unlikely to come back. Maybe we can get a few modding improvements in the future so we can add it like before 😁

15 minutes ago, danielspoa said:

can we get XML to explore for modding during the weekend?

--------

note: I also miss LBD so much. Rick answered about it during a previous stream, very unlikely to come back. Maybe we can get a few modding improvements in the future so we can add it like before 😁

Just having a game use data definitions in XML does not equal quality modding support. 7D2D is so far behind the curve of other games for modding support. 

Where is the XML system that allows just <TAG><ELEMENT><ATTRIBUTE> overrides instead of a WHOLE xml file replacement?

Just the choice of XML alone is suspect.

Where is the Steam workshop support for modding?

For modding done right, look at something like RimWorld. 

Let's not talk about the current state of 7D2D XML, lets talk about the strategic direction of TRUE modding support as a part of the base game.

--Disclaimer: I have not followed all the details of A19, if true modding support WAS added with a19: KUDOS!

This is not their final interaction of modding support, and honestly it makes total sense. Game is in alpha, and it far exceeds any expectations I could have about it.

I mentioned more because I like LBD and because I'm a nuisance around that matter. Go find a game that offers more than this in an alpha state.

4 minutes ago, danielspoa said:

This is not their final interaction of modding support, and honestly it makes total sense. Game is in alpha, and it far exceeds any expectations I could have about it.

I mentioned more because I like LBD and because I'm a nuisance around that matter. Go find a game that offers more than this in an alpha state.

ok but this has been a 7+ YEAR alpha... most games are 1-2 years alpha...

Archived