madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

Roland

When you download A19 you MUST start a new save. Maps generated in A18 will NOT work for A19 games. 

Head HERE to report bugs.

Message added by Roland

On 6/23/2020 at 10:05 AM, Perlin_Worm said:

Its not the damage that is OP, but the stunlock it offers..

1. Enter room with gusto, loud and proud

2. Drop turret

3. Wreck everything that gets stunlocked with melee

4. Pick up turret

5, Rinse repeat

The promise of zombie immunity from stunlocking in a19 will put turrets where they need to be. No other changes needed.

Would also point out that no stunlocking could be a massive nerf to knuckle weapons since they rely on pummeling staggering zombies, but I'm sure the devs will balance this.

I don't see this as an advantage, just an alternate path.

Instead of using a turret, I could knock out a block on the wall and fight the room of zombies though that.

I could also just drop a frame in front of the doorway and use that to fight the zombies safely.

The turret at least costs some resources for the ammo. 

5 hours ago, faatal said:

There was no innocents there, but it did amuse me.

I had a blast watching you guys last night, I loved the overall tone of the stream, the good vibes and jokes and your honesty approaching the community. 

Every change was huge to gameplay and I appreciate it.

Now, my take on some things would be :

Zds' swimming water transitions are too robotic, they make a skewing animation and then stop like in the middle of it. Animators need to make (maybe ?) a more horizontal swimming animation with both arms that blends better with the current "idle in water" and "swimming" ones.

The drone looked amazing, though at some point he zigzagged like hell. I loved it for the most part.

Your sidekick muted us. He was right on point.

@faatal , did you watch the gameplay of Rick, Latham and madmole ?

As you can see, they were ALL clients, and Zds dying standing were common (also dogs, but there weren't many in the video ) . There was another problem with the wolf/dog that happens on clients too : he faces downwards and moves normal without sticking out of the floor again. Usually happens when going downstairs and he attacks from there or could be a mere facing problem.

Video:

Wolf weird facing on clients: (minute 27:14)

Zds dying standing ( clients 99% of the time ) probably when animation is interrupted by death (also happens with dogs/wolfs)

( It happened several times on that 3 hour playthrough, but one example is Timestamp -2:41:06)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

So guys (any gals?), which streamers are you going to watch, or are you going to try to avoid spoilers?

Are any of the streamers really hot babes?  If not ill pass.

Edited by SnowDog1942 (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Trankitas said:

You just ended the stream and now you're on the forums?

That streams was recorded two years ago. Did you take off your alu hat?

2 hours ago, Visigoth said:

Any more information anywhere on what metrics are gathered in game and sent back to TFP ?

Enjoying the new look A19, not long now 🙂

I expect they don't want to detail every metric they are gathering because people will change their behaviour when they know what is observed. But metrics outside the game, especially IP address or paths, but also stuff like RAM, CPU should be listed if they want to record that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Are any of the atreamers really hot babes?  If not ill pass.

What? Are you not a diehard fan of BeardedGuysGaming?

5 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I expect they don't want to detail every metric they are gathering because people will change their behaviour when they know what is observed. But metrics outside the game, especially IP address or paths, but also stuff like RAM, CPU should be listed if they want to record that.

Ugh - stop getting your quantum mechanics science in my zombie fantasy game...

Edited by Jarod_Silverstar (see edit history)

28 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Many thanks for quick reply, Ive just heard what was said about metrics on the Dev 6 stream. Only just caught up with streams 🙂

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Khalagar said:

Lots of really good questions this round!

Junk Drone and maybe Junk Sledge confirmed to not scale off Int attribute or Tech Junkie perk, rip

New Music sounds great, and lots of possibilities there including boss zombie music if we ever get some bosses!

Faatal says the dreaded "Rescope after reload" bug might be fixed so you don't get killed every time you try to use the hunting rifle!!

Junk Drone looked really good, but they weren't too sure about some of the things. @madmole one of the questions they weren't sure about was how Junk Drone works in respect to your overall turret limit. They were thinking it's just 1 drone per player and that it didn't affect the turret limit, which is interesting, but they weren't sure. Do you know?

I go back to my original assessment that imo you should be able to place 2 junk sledges, 2 turrets, and then just have a drone. If each had it's own cap I don't think it would be that crazy, at least not based on how the current Junk Sledge seems to perform and scale. Late game even 2 of them don't seem like they would be all that massive of an addition to what your dual junk turrets were already cranking out

same on point 1...really wish the other turrets benefit. i mean, as long as i can put my burning shaft mod on the sledge...that should help out  a little!

Then i can scream "ima give them the burning shaft" hehe

Edited by MajorMunchy (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Jarod_Silverstar said:

Ugh - stop getting your quantum mechanics science in my zombie fantasy game...

You..., you Bohr-ist, I'll heisenberg you 4 times before you can leave your energy level even once.

14 minutes ago, Visigoth said:

Many thanks for quick reply, Ive just heard what was said about metrics on the Dev 6 stream. Only just caught up with streams 🙂

Just to be sure: I was just voicing my personal opinion. It was not an official communication from TFP and I don't know anything about their official policies

What did they say about the metrics on the dev stream?

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

17 hours ago, madmole said:

Being similar doesn't stand up in copyright courts. Ours is down turned, a different color and part of a sad face, and I imagine they have better things to do like we do. AFAIK you can even do a parody on something, call it Manazon if you felt like it, nothing they can do about it. Its intended to be funny, it's considered fair use.

Being a former (unpopular) musician, I'm a bit of an IP wonk... and almost none of this is accurate.

This would not involve copyright law at all. It would involve trademark law. That's the one that doesn't come from the Constitution, has a "use-it-or-lose-it" provision (unlike copyrights or patents), and whose primary purpose is to avoid consumer confusion about a product's origin. Trademark fair use is very different, parody isn't even considered.

So, Amazon would have to take TFP to court to show that their use of the "arrow smile" had a good chance of causing the average consumer to be confused, and that the junk sledge was somehow coming from Amazon in real life.

Amazon would have a case if they sold branded video game assets, and argued that this was intended to falsely show that the junk sledge asset came from Amazon. Otherwise they'd have no case.

One thing is absolutely correct though: both TFP and Amazon have better things to do than worry about this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, faatal said:

I think I am, but my office got so hot near the end, I could be delirious.

Your mining helmet has incandescent light maybe, lol. 

3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

So guys (any gals?), which streamers are you going to watch, or are you going to try to avoid spoilers?

I'll try to keep it in my pants until monday so I can stream it myself without spoilers... I like surprises. What about you?

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

That streams was recorded two years ago. Did you take off your alu hat?

Dang...I did it again.

29 minutes ago, meganoth said:

You..., you Bohr-ist, I'll heisenberg you 4 times before you can leave your energy level even once.

Everyone gets antsy when there's only 100 billion kilometres until release  🙂

I'm having to sit this one out (mostly) but I'm glad to see the hype-train post count is climbing by the day  🙂

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Visigoth said:

Any more information anywhere on what metrics are gathered in game and sent back to TFP ?

Enjoying the new look A19, not long now 🙂

From what I have read, its purely gameplay information.

What blocks people build and use, items things like that

Edited by Annihilatorza
word (see edit history)

49 minutes ago, meganoth said:

What did they say about the metrics on the dev stream?

Watch Dev stream number 6 about 2:20 mins in, I got it was your opinion np

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Visigoth said:

Probably the common sense stuff. What perks are picked most or never picked, what quest types are picked most or never picked, what weapons are never used, what zombie causes the most player deaths, how many players die within X days etc.

ATM they have basically zero data on any of that so it's hard for them to know what people are really doing in game besides the forums, which they mostly ignore feedback wise because it's not the feedback they are looking for. We all have 500 to 1500+ hours in the game and don't play like a noob, and ATM they are trying to make the game more accessible to newer players rather than cater to veteran players and make the game harder and more tedious

Hopefully the new metrics are made public, I love me some graphs and excel sheets! Would make for good reference points to see if people actually do pick the terribad perks, like Madmole saying the Animal Tracker and Animal harvesting perks didn't need to be combined . . .I've literally never heard of anyone putting a point in either of those lol. Even at only 3 levels and even if both were combined into one perk . . .I still wouldn't waste a point on it personally.  But I'm not a new player and could be an outlier, so it'd be cool to see if there is some weird group of people that actually does go around trying to find animals in a world where animals are basically extinct by day 4. I find most of my deer by hitting them with my motorcycle between quests

Edited by Khalagar (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I think the metrics themselves will be dull and mostly useless, but I think more interesting would be the conversations had about the results.

Take a metric that says 99% of players use the trader once per day. Does that mean traders are a great value add to the game? Does it mean people use it as a cheese game mechanic?  Two possible different interpretations, with two possible meanings.

Take a metric that says only 1% of players use a blunderbuss.  Does that mean the blunderbuss is useless? Does it mean most players don't even know about it?  Again, two different possible interpretations, with two different possible meanings.

Metrics are great, but only if you know *why*.

Violent crime increases when ice cream trucks are out.  Does that mean the truck music causes violence?  Does it mean heat causes violence and coincidentally that's when ice cream trucks are out? 

At any rate, hopefully it's not a complete waste of time. 

• Like 3
  • Poop 1

Oh, and to my point, I'd hate to see something like the blunderbuss be removed because "no one uses it", when the /reason/ may be a simple fix.  Tfp has a history of removing rather than fixing what was wrong with things (miss you LBD!). 

• Like 3
  • Poop 1

14 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

Violent crime increases when ice cream trucks are out.  Does that mean the truck music causes violence?  Does it mean heat causes violence and coincidentally that's when ice cream trucks are out? 

Ice cream trucks lead to children getting a sugar rush, leading to them misbehaving, leading to frustrated parents, leading to more purchases of illegal substances, leading to distribution wars. There is a causal connection, and a potential ban for them.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

Oh, and to my point, I'd hate to see something like the blunderbuss be removed because "no one uses it", when the /reason/ may be a simple fix.  Tfp has a history of removing rather than fixing what was wrong with things (miss you LBD!). 

Their game is just bursting with content.... They must be rich people if they can afford to throw something away instead of fixing it.

We are poor modders, we can live well on their garbage. :D

I think that we only need one instruction that works with tags, and we can fully have LBD in our mods - "onSelfItemCrafted" ;)

Edited by n2n1 (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, Damocles said:

Ice cream trucks lead to children getting a sugar rush, leading to them misbehaving, leading to frustrated parents, leading to more purchases of illegal substances, leading to distribution wars. There is a causal connection, and a potential ban for them.

In Glasgow the correlation is a little more direct.

"The Ice Cream Wars was a turf war in the East End of Glasgow, in Scotland, in the 1980s between rival criminal organisations selling drugs and stolen goods from ice cream vans. Van operators were involved in frequent violence and intimidation tactics."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Ice_Cream_Wars

Given that the same idea has been used from Germany to New York the answer is yes, on average, the sound of an ice cream truck leads to an increase of the risk of violence.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

You always repeat that and always ignore that LBD had at least 2 **public** fixing iterations (if LBD was introduced in A14, 4 iterations if in A12).  

But yes, hopefully the blunderbuss is kept in the game

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

Meg, changing != fixing.

The issue was that lbd allowed someone to spam stone axes to give them points to buy unrelated abilities.  That was never fixed.

Spamming stone axes should have ONLY resulted in a superior ability to make stone axes.  That was *never* introduced as a fix.

Don't conflate the two things. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Suspend it ;) or they'll pay attention to it now... We need to move this agenda forward discreetly.

Edited by n2n1 (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

The blunderbus got the biggest boost it has ever had with A19. I never used the blunderbus pre A19 and now I use it all the time--even putting three on my belt at times so that I can get three blasts off before needing to reload. With the new stone age looting rules the blunderbus is definitely king and guaranteed to rise in popularity. Joel even adjusted the recipe for ammo to be a bit cheaper: 1 paper, 1 rock, 2 gp

I find myself hitting trash piles now to get that extra bit of paper.....

Blunderbus is here to stay!

7 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

Meg, changing != fixing.

The issue was that lbd allowed someone to spam stone axes to give them points to buy unrelated abilities.  That was never fixed.

Spamming stone axes should have ONLY resulted in a superior ability to make stone axes.  That was *never* introduced as a fix.

Don't conflate the two things. 

I never played the game before A17, but IMHO, I feel like there could be a nice equilibrium between LBD and the current perk system, for example, the more you use your machine guns, the better you become with them, but you would have to perk into making higher quality ammo after you had found the correct schematic in stead of instantly knowing how to do so after spending the point. So you’d find the schematic, and then have to spend the point to unlock it. All while firing your AK47 and continually getting better and improving your aim.

• Like 1