Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

5 minutes ago, faatal said:

I'm liking that bow change. People should use what suits their play style, not expect weapons to adapt to them.

Canned food can survive way longer than that. The date are conservative. I've eaten plenty of 12 or 15 year old canned food.

There's an issue in A18 where if you try sprinting while ADS, the weapon disappears but you're still technically aiming down its sights. Has this been fixed for A19?

Edit: I discovered this issue with the compound crossbow, I don't know how many weapons it affects.

13 minutes ago, Trankitas said:

You just ended the stream and now you're on the forums? 

I think I am, but my office got so hot near the end, I could be delirious.

12 minutes ago, Roland said:

He’s still aggroed from my innocent question. =p

There was no innocents there, but it did amuse me.

27 minutes ago, faatal said:

Canned food can survive way longer than that. The date are conservative. I've eaten plenty of 12 or 15 year old canned food.

The 5 years was referring to madmoles statement above. Of course some canned food lasts longer.

2 hours ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

What is madmole feeding you guys?

Listen, I’ll buy more copies of the game, just please stop eating that.

They didn't just come up with recipies like hobo stew out of thin air...

But really. Canned food if canned properly and hasn't started rustin can easily last a decade and still be fresh. Depends on the contents I would figure. Don't remember exacts.

On 6/24/2020 at 8:10 PM, Khalagar said:

It's so bad it's a meme, even on the dev stream you could tell by Lathan and Rick's reactions they knew it was pretty much a waste of time to even try it. Even the full bow is only okayish. The bow is in a pretty weird spot. It competes against the Pistol for use in it's own tree, and loses badly. The only advantage the bow has is explosive ammo, but actual explosives from the perception tree are better. In fact, the hunting rifle from the perception tree is better than the crossbow too . . .

I do think bows need a bit of a TLC update, I think most players would rather have a level 3 pistol than a level 5 compound bow or compound crossbow, and that's a problem. I tried doing a crossbow build in A18 and even with perk investment and a level 5 compound crossbow, I literally couldn't find a use for it that my level 2 unperked hunting rifle didn't do 10 times better.

Compound bow is kinda where where the Wooden bow needs to be damage wise imo, and primitive bow is just bad, I can't think of a single situation where a primitive bow is worth building over just crafting 4-5 spears and throwing those instead

Thats true, i love the bows but they felt like garbage in a18, i chalked that up to the abundance and accessibility of guns and ammo, which i think TFP want to be more limited in a19, but they still feel undertuned a lot.

Primitive bow was absolute dog@%$*#!, i have had experiences of shooting 20 arrows into a zombies head with that and the @%$*#! still not dying.

Personally I'm a fan of lower tier weapons having similar (or even better) damage to the higher ones but other drawbacks, like lower magazines (hunting rifle vs marksman rifle), worse recoil, slower fire rate or even slower reload times. They could afford to up the damage a LOT and compensate with worst focus time or reload time.

On 6/23/2020 at 10:05 AM, Perlin_Worm said:

Its not the damage that is OP, but the stunlock it offers..

1. Enter room with gusto, loud and proud

2. Drop turret

3. Wreck everything that gets stunlocked with melee

4. Pick up turret

5, Rinse repeat

The promise of zombie immunity from stunlocking in a19 will put turrets where they need to be. No other changes needed.

Would also point out that no stunlocking could be a massive nerf to knuckle weapons since they rely on pummeling staggering zombies, but I'm sure the devs will balance this.

I don't see this as an advantage, just an alternate path.

Instead of using a turret, I could knock out a block on the wall and fight the room of zombies though that.

I could also just drop a frame in front of the doorway and use that to fight the zombies safely.

The turret at least costs some resources for the ammo. 

5 hours ago, faatal said:

There was no innocents there, but it did amuse me.

I had a blast watching you guys last night, I loved the overall tone of the stream, the good vibes and jokes and your honesty approaching the community. 

Every change was huge to gameplay and I appreciate it.

Now, my take on some things would be :

Zds' swimming water transitions are too robotic, they make a skewing animation and then stop like in the middle of it. Animators need to make (maybe ?) a more horizontal swimming animation with both arms that blends better with the current "idle in water" and "swimming" ones.

The drone looked amazing, though at some point he zigzagged like hell. I loved it for the most part.

Your sidekick muted us. He was right on point.

@faatal , did you watch the gameplay of Rick, Latham and madmole ?

As you can see, they were ALL clients, and Zds dying standing were common (also dogs, but there weren't many in the video ) . There was another problem with the wolf/dog that happens on clients too : he faces downwards and moves normal without sticking out of the floor again. Usually happens when going downstairs and he attacks from there or could be a mere facing problem.

Video:

Wolf weird facing on clients: (minute 27:14)

Zds dying standing ( clients 99% of the time ) probably when animation is interrupted by death (also happens with dogs/wolfs)

( It happened several times on that 3 hour playthrough, but one example is Timestamp -2:41:06)

6 hours ago, Trankitas said:

You just ended the stream and now you're on the forums?

That streams was recorded two years ago. Did you take off your alu hat?

2 hours ago, Visigoth said:

Any more information anywhere on what metrics are gathered in game and sent back to TFP ?

Enjoying the new look A19, not long now 🙂

I expect they don't want to detail every metric they are gathering because people will change their behaviour when they know what is observed. But metrics outside the game, especially IP address or paths, but also stuff like RAM, CPU should be listed if they want to record that.

1 hour ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Are any of the atreamers really hot babes?  If not ill pass.

What? Are you not a diehard fan of BeardedGuysGaming?

5 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I expect they don't want to detail every metric they are gathering because people will change their behaviour when they know what is observed. But metrics outside the game, especially IP address or paths, but also stuff like RAM, CPU should be listed if they want to record that.

Ugh - stop getting your quantum mechanics science in my zombie fantasy game...

28 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Many thanks for quick reply, Ive just heard what was said about metrics on the Dev 6 stream. Only just caught up with streams 🙂

8 hours ago, Khalagar said:

Lots of really good questions this round!

Junk Drone and maybe Junk Sledge confirmed to not scale off Int attribute or Tech Junkie perk, rip

New Music sounds great, and lots of possibilities there including boss zombie music if we ever get some bosses!

Faatal says the dreaded "Rescope after reload" bug might be fixed so you don't get killed every time you try to use the hunting rifle!!

Junk Drone looked really good, but they weren't too sure about some of the things. @madmole one of the questions they weren't sure about was how Junk Drone works in respect to your overall turret limit. They were thinking it's just 1 drone per player and that it didn't affect the turret limit, which is interesting, but they weren't sure. Do you know?

I go back to my original assessment that imo you should be able to place 2 junk sledges, 2 turrets, and then just have a drone. If each had it's own cap I don't think it would be that crazy, at least not based on how the current Junk Sledge seems to perform and scale. Late game even 2 of them don't seem like they would be all that massive of an addition to what your dual junk turrets were already cranking out

same on point 1...really wish the other turrets benefit. i mean, as long as i can put my burning shaft mod on the sledge...that should help out  a little!

Then i can scream "ima give them the burning shaft" hehe

44 minutes ago, Jarod_Silverstar said:

Ugh - stop getting your quantum mechanics science in my zombie fantasy game...

You..., you Bohr-ist, I'll heisenberg you 4 times before you can leave your energy level even once.

14 minutes ago, Visigoth said:

Many thanks for quick reply, Ive just heard what was said about metrics on the Dev 6 stream. Only just caught up with streams 🙂

Just to be sure: I was just voicing my personal opinion. It was not an official communication from TFP and I don't know anything about their official policies

What did they say about the metrics on the dev stream?

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived