Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Well Well Well... Looks like I missed out of the debut of the A19 Dev Diary, lol. Promising stuff, can't wait to see what makes it in. A few quick questions regarding what you've posted:

"Vehicle break down and collision system"

About the collision system, does this mean that we will get things like shopping carts and trash bags/cardboard boxes that when hit, will move? Or does this mean something else?

"Player arms in third person will no longer be stiff when moving with one handed tools, fists or weapons, instead their arms will move more naturally when they walk and run."

Always happy to see better animations, both third person and first person. Will we see better weapon animations (mainly firearms) such as better reloading for some guns, better casing ejection (the AK-47 releases 9mm casings, and the Double barreled shotgun doesn't release or have any shotgun shells in the chamber), and fixing the issues with the reloading animations going out of sync? I know that this is just an issue for some weapons, such as the bolt-action rifle and the SMG. Hopefully you guys could add in sprinting animations for when you run with weapons and tools, too.

Don`t tease me with snow, man. I love winter and will even take advantage of latest faatal`s additions for some settings in 18.2 (when have time to), to see how long gonna survive in winter biome only, insane, 120min/day, SP, notnomad style.

#backontopicnow

Good luck with that, I'm currently living on the burned forest, but the ambiance sounds are kinda depressing lol.

Oh yes, one major request for Faatal,

Please optimize the trees! For the love of God, they are so intense on computers! It may be just my rig, namely my CPU as I'm running an 8th gen i3 with 3.60 GHz, but everything else should be fine as I meet (and exceed) the system requirements as they are on the steam page. Not sure if the requirements are outdated, however.

@Faatal, there was something pretty interesting that a person posted for you in the A18 Dev Diary, but you were in a vacation back then. So now I'm showing it to you, like MM suggested. https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?131394-Alpha-18-feedback-and-balancing-thread&p=1064461&viewfull=1#post1064461 Just thought you could look into it.

Also, might be a good idea to look into the optimized torch particles: https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/466

The creator of this reports that he can use 6x the torches with these particles and have the same FPS.

Sounds sobering. Vehicle update, books and eye candy. The vehicle update seems to be the major part. Maybe it's an unpopular oppinion but I need something with some inventory to get from A to B.

Yea the scale of A19 isn't set but judging the past updates I don't expect any surprises contentwise.

There is a boatload of stuff but I'm only announcing stuff that is being worked on or has something to show already. Its better to show stuff that is in than paint some big picture of everything then people are like what happened to this or that? As with 18 nobody cared for quite some time, then at the end it was like holy ♥♥♥♥ gimme gimme.

With vehicle updates for a19 are you guys thinking of removing carrying vehicles in inventory? It always felt weird and it would make breakdowns less of an event if we can carry vehicles in our pockets.

Larger vehicles carrying light vehicles might be interesting though, maybe 4x4 and gyro can carry a bicycle.

We might prevent picking one up, but there is that weird case where it is truly stuck, and you try to hit the block its stuck on and it hits the vehicle collision instead.

Whatever happened to the flamethrower traps that were teased a while back? We could use more traps, to be honest.

We wanted to figure out everythings place in the grand scheme of things. Now that that is closer we can dig them up and look at them some time.

I expect them at first to be just variations if the Zombie ai. They spawn out of nowhere near the base, questlocation or specific POI. Then walk towards the players location, either stopping when in range and shoot, or hack their way through blocks to the player and attack with melee weapons. Maybe run further away when hurt.

Done, working Bandit AI.

Sorry but we're not shipping low quality crap bandits, we pulled them from the build once for that very reason.

@Faatal, there was something pretty interesting that a person posted for you in the A18 Dev Diary, but you were in a vacation back then. So now I'm showing it to you, like MM suggested. https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?131394-Alpha-18-feedback-and-balancing-thread&p=1064461&viewfull=1#post1064461 Just thought you could look into it.

Also, might be a good idea to look into the optimized torch particles: https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/466

The creator of this reports that he can use 6x the torches with these particles and have the same FPS.

How BM frequency works has not changed in A18. Could be the random seed used. See my post in that thread.

I've already looked at that torch mod and didn't look like anything but changing particles and reducing the light radius some. The artists have it looking the way they want it to look and I don't want to mess with that. The radius is fine. I have other things to work on.

How BM frequency works has not changed in A18. Could be the random seed used. See my post in that thread.

I've already looked at that torch mod and didn't look like anything but changing particles and reducing the light radius some. The artists have it looking the way they want it to look and I don't want to mess with that. The radius is fine. I have other things to work on.

Here too? lol

Might as well...

We've thought of that faatal.

You need to see the end of the thread. Here's the link to CrainBramp's test results:

https://rebrand.ly/rwgtest-a18-bm

Glad to see player animations are getting looked at. I hope animal animations also get some love. Something is just a little disturbing when you see a *insert animal* teleport one block length straight up as a jump animation. Since a lot of the early game threats are animals, it would be nice to see them move a little more smoothly.

Subquake removed the script that was attached. (which I think you already did according to some patch notes)

new lighter material (compared to standard unity mats) and 3 particles.

I don't think a lot here understand what this is about.

The A19 dev diary is mostly about the announced features.

Lists upon list of things you want added? That belongs in the Pimp Dreams forum.

Yes please lets stop asking for random bs and talk about what is announced. I know it isn't a lot to talk about but spamming feature requests is really just going to drive me off the forum.

Is there anyone from the pimps actually reading the pimp dreams forum?

Occasionally I'm sure, but frankly every idea has already been thought of and discussed and suggested 50+ times before over the last 6 years. If we didn't have ideas we wouldn't be in business. I'm like Adam the Waster and have to refrain from derailing the team with ideas constantly lol.

The purpose for it is more to be a sounding board so other forum members can say its a good or bad idea and if it gets enough traction someone will get our attention or someone internally will see it etc and then its like, yeah we talked about that, or its already planned.

What about electrical, faster crafting stations for late game?

Electrical furnaces instead of forges, electrical kitchen and chem station?

Electricity is such an interesting and under developed feature it hurts...

Not asking for factorio here, just something more interesting to do with electricity, the garage doors alone enhanced it greatly.

Industrial forge has been planned for a while now.

@Madmole

Any updates on the dynamic music system? Right now it's OK, but it could be a lot more - more varied loops, different music for different situations (combat vs. wandering), etc.

These features were always on the roadmap, at least the last time you talked about them. I'm just wondering about how high a priority they will be.

(And, I still think it would be great to have it moddable, e.g. with custom .wav files initialized through the XML.)

Yes new combat tracks are awesome and will be added to 19.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived