Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

52 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Its the fIrst lm thing im going to test.  Place it on the floor, stand in front of it, turn around, bend over,  and see what happens. 

I mean.. I just.. I.. Oh man.. I can't.

You win, this time!

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

ITs POI time!

A19 screenshots!

(sorry i missed the stream! i was very tired after tearing down the deck in my yard lol)

its on the bottom!

even the New Stores!

Adam - Yet another thanks from those of us that don't have the time to watch the streams.

For the Pimps, I was not sure about this alpha for a while but the new looks of the POIs are starting to get my interest.

13 minutes ago, Jarod_Silverstar said:

Adam - Yet another thanks from those of us that don't have the time to watch the streams.

For the Pimps, I was not sure about this alpha for a while but the new looks of the POIs are starting to get my interest.

i love the electronic store !

MO' Power! electronics! 

"Watt is in you're outlet?" 

image.png.fd1e03e406026e7b336a49831358e3e0.png

it kinda gives me a 80's Vibe. EVEN THOUGH I WAS NOT IN THE 80'S! but let not look at that! 

Watched all the streams on youtube here recently. I gotta say that i'm definitely impressed with what's coming out in Alpha 19. my only suggestion is that players have an option somewhere in the menu to turn on/off health bars instead of having to delve into the Xml file to turn them on.

I am excited about the junk sledge for two reasons. First, the current junk turret in a18 is way OP especially early game. Scoring a junk turret was always a milestone to 'sitting on easy street'. I love the turret, but it makes much more sense later on. Second, the junk sledge seems very situational which is fine with me. I like to be creative in setting up traps to its maximum effect and the sledge seems more defensive than offensive in that manner.

No turrets early game combined with zombie stunlock immunity, this sounds like the challenge people are looking for.

20 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

i think it would be cool if the junk hammer had a AOE Spin attack when it has zombies around it!

but hey can't knock it before you try it! 

So how about a blade trap with sledgehammer arms instead of the blades?

Now that I think of it, probably surprising some modder hasn't done it already...

1 hour ago, Doc_mockingbird said:

Watched all the streams on youtube here recently. I gotta say that i'm definitely impressed with what's coming out in Alpha 19. my only suggestion is that players have an option somewhere in the menu to turn on/off health bars instead of having to delve into the Xml file to turn them on.

I think the best you can hope for would be a console command. The enemy health bars and the critical injury % numbers are developer tools and not intended to be part of the game. It is under-the-hood information that they don't necessarily want to be displayed during normal play so creating a top option menu toggle for it is as unlikely as doing one to show the swing arc graphic or for displaying the name and location of POI's floating above them for example.

39 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

Can you mine with it?  I ask... for someone I know.

I would no sooner mine with it than I would with a sledge hammer or club. It breaks blocks. It doesn't harvest.

16 minutes ago, Roland said:

I would no sooner mine with it than I would with a sledge hammer or club. It breaks blocks. It doesn't harvest.

Still, were it capable of striking concrete then possibly very early game it would be useful to knock out stairs in a POI you were planning on using for horde night.

Even if it was the same or somewhat slower than using a stone axe, no food consumption (possibly) while using the junk sledge might make it a better choice?

Guess it would depend on how much food we'll burn using stone axes in A19, & food scarcity...

7 hours ago, beerfly said:

Its because we haven't seen it work properly yet. Its a cool concept that we can take advantage of, dunno, if its aimed on the proper height we can call it The Nutcracker 🙂

The Junk Sledge could be a real viable option on PvP servers towards base raiding: Assuming you can place it on lcb protected property like the Junk turret. It could be a great tool for busting in players's bases and chest giving people another option to raid without having to use explosives to blow everything up.

26 minutes ago, Grandpa Minion said:

The Junk Sledge could be a real viable option on PvP servers towards base raiding: Assuming you can place it on lcb protected property like the Junk turret. It could be a great tool for busting in players's bases and chest giving people another option to raid without having to use explosives to blow everything up.

From what I understand you have to hold it to be able to have it break blocks. So, have equipped in hands, crosshair at block or chest, hold (maybe click) left click till block or chest is broken.

2 hours ago, Perlin_Worm said:

First, the current junk turret in a18 is way OP especially early game. Scoring a junk turret was always a milestone to 'sitting on easy street'.

Junk Turret is really weak early game, at least on difficulty I play on. Without perk investment it is definitely just a support weapon and not your main one. Even as someone who nearly always maxes out junk turrets and builds around them, I don't even usually deploy them until mid game when I've got like 3/5 on the Junk Skill. Up until that point they just fire really slow and have such short range that you are drastically better off using a shotgun, sledge, or basically any other weapon. Even a pistol would clear far easier and faster than a level 1 junk turret with no perk investment

28 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Junk Turret is really weak early game, at least on difficulty I play on. Without perk investment it is definitely just a support weapon and not your main one. Even as someone who nearly always maxes out junk turrets and builds around them, I don't even usually deploy them until mid game when I've got like 3/5 on the Junk Skill. Up until that point they just fire really slow and have such short range that you are drastically better off using a shotgun, sledge, or basically any other weapon. Even a pistol would clear far easier and faster than a level 1 junk turret with no perk investment

I tend to save the junk turret for horde nights. When I am out looting the two slots for the turret and ammo is a waste of space to me.

Its not the damage that is OP, but the stunlock it offers..

1. Enter room with gusto, loud and proud

2. Drop turret

3. Wreck everything that gets stunlocked with melee

4. Pick up turret

5, Rinse repeat

The promise of zombie immunity from stunlocking in a19 will put turrets where they need to be. No other changes needed.

Would also point out that no stunlocking could be a massive nerf to knuckle weapons since they rely on pummeling staggering zombies, but I'm sure the devs will balance this.

Junk Turret stagger is fine, it's basically required for the weapon to even work. If they don't have stagger enemies will just run right through them barely taking damage along the way. Their entire shtick is they fire really fast but have low damage, so if they can't stagger enemies to slow them down long enough to actually get damage in they will be extremely mediocre.

You seem to miss that junk turrets are the main weapon of an entire tree, nerfing them into oblivion will just make the int tree even worse than it already is.

"M60 needs a nerf because you can mow down a crowd of zed"

"Shotgun needs a nerf because you can run into a room and clear the entire room"

"Explosives need a nerf because they are all anyone uses on horde night and clear hordes better than every other weapon combined" (this one might actually have a bit of truth)

How 'bout, we let each build actually, y'know, work instead of nerfing everything?

Someone mentioned before to the ones crying about Junk Turrets, but you should do a coop run with someone fully perked into Shotguns or M60 etc and use only the junk turret + a melee weapon. You will very, very quickly realize the Junk Turrets are not OP and that your buddy can clear a PoI ten times faster by just run and gunning with a shotgun without having to stop and pick up and place junk turrets

8 hours ago, VirtualExodus said:

Spent a lot of time reading through this forum and what I have noticed is too many players are worrying about what others are doing. I mean worry about how you play and how you want to enjoy the game and stop trying to ruin others way of playing. If its immersion breaking for you then that's on you, if it feels cheesy to you, then that's on you.. not on the individual using it. As for nerd polling take it out fine, but there is many other blocks and items that can be used to the same effect, I don't nerd pole but use one of these other ways to "cheese the game" as you put it. Its a sandbox survival game open world "do what you want" game. Let people have their cake and eat it, MP will never be perfect it isn't in any game and if that bothers you then rethink if online gaming is for you. (Rant over) Anyway super excited for A19 think it looks great, so glad Junkies were fleshed out so I can feel like a proper apocalyptic engineer for real!

that's pretty much what i was trying to say in the past.

otherwise with that reasoning, some random dude on the internet will jump and demand the developers to remove all the guns in game because he enjoys killing zombies with his bare hands and think guns are OP.

that's how i see people complaining about nerd polling. 

Archived