Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

15 hours ago, madmole said:

We have. It might be nice having primitive rifles and pistols so people can specialize in those... but the agility guy has bows... maybe we just need rifles.. but then the auto weapons guy is screwed unless we make a pipe machinegun... Honestly it just sounds like cans of worms, the blunderbuss and bow are plenty to get started with.

If its up to vote, i vote for muskets and flintlock pistols!

While we're at it, make a book line that gives primitive antique weapons special bonuses that a player could make a build around. Maybe something like crafting a mod that turns 1 pistol into a set of 3 so that you can hold 3 shots on 1 slot.

Spent a lot of time reading through this forum and what I have noticed is too many players are worrying about what others are doing. I mean worry about how you play and how you want to enjoy the game and stop trying to ruin others way of playing. If its immersion breaking for you then that's on you, if it feels cheesy to you, then that's on you.. not on the individual using it. As for nerd polling take it out fine, but there is many other blocks and items that can be used to the same effect, I don't nerd pole but use one of these other ways to "cheese the game" as you put it. Its a sandbox survival game open world "do what you want" game. Let people have their cake and eat it, MP will never be perfect it isn't in any game and if that bothers you then rethink if online gaming is for you. (Rant over) Anyway super excited for A19 think it looks great, so glad Junkies were fleshed out so I can feel like a proper apocalyptic engineer for real!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

I really hope it's good, I'm just worried about the "It's only a tier one weapon" stance being taken. It's not "only a tier one" its "the main melee weapon the Int tree has". I'm just confused on why the devs don't want it to be on par with end game weapons. They went through all the work to model it and animate it and get all the targeting stuff figured out, I'd think they would *want* people to use it past super early game.

As it stands, it's in a pretty sketchy spot because unless it's been changed, you can't even invest in the Junk Weapons perk until you have 5 int, which is a pretty rough blocker early game when you are in desperate shortage of perk points and trying to get the "bare essentials" perked first. So junk sledge is basically a week 2 weapon to craft if you don't get lucky and find one, and by the time you find one you are probably going to be finding junk turrets and tier 2 melee weapons instead.

There's only a small window where you'd even be able to use it, as junk turrets will probably just completely replace it if the Junk Sledge handheld mode doesn't have stats on par with the other trees melee weapons. In placement mode it's narrow cone of fire + poor tracking and short range make it not very appealing, but I still want to test it to see if maybe 1 melee + 1 junk turret can work together to kind of stagger lock stuff

The stun baton is in a similar situation, where they went through all the trouble to make it and animate it and program it's unique effect . . .but then allegedly haven't buffed in A19 to actually be usable so it might still be auto vendor trash, except it's not even good for that  because it's really cheap so even a tier 6 one is barely worth the inventory spot to haul back and sell. I don't even pick them up if they aren't like at least tier 5, and even then only if I don't have something better to carry back and sell

I dunno, needs real testing once we get A19. I'm hopeful, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Its kinda hard to make any judgement calls on anything currently based on 10 seconds of video. 

The autoshot gun looks very powerful but it might not be.

With so many changes coming, I am really excited everything will be new again ;)

2 hours ago, bloodmoth13 said:

If its up to vote, i vote for muskets and flintlock pistols!

While we're at it, make a book line that gives primitive antique weapons special bonuses that a player could make a build around. Maybe something like crafting a mod that turns 1 pistol into a set of 3 so that you can hold 3 shots on 1 slot.

well if they did that they should update the primitive bow! so it can compete with them!

plus for assault rifle class!

it could ether be a Makeshift Machine gun that uses the blunderbuss rounds (or it could be called black powder ammo!)

or it can be a harmonica rifle! like this

it would have more ammo then the flintlock and musket but would have lower damage and a Much slower reload!

pic here

Spoiler

Pin on History

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

I propose a poll on Roland's new profile's picture! 😁

i demand that he Does my pic but with a Pimp hat!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaVegaNL said:

That new junk sledge turret (can't remember the name) looks.. underwhelming. Sorry to say.

Its the fIrst lm thing im going to test.  Place it on the floor, stand in front of it, turn around, bend over,  and see what happens. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Its the fIrst lm thing im going to test.  Place it on the floor, stand in front of it, turn around, bend over,  and see what happens. 

I mean.. I just.. I.. Oh man.. I can't.

You win, this time!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

ITs POI time!

A19 screenshots!

(sorry i missed the stream! i was very tired after tearing down the deck in my yard lol)

its on the bottom!

even the New Stores!

Adam - Yet another thanks from those of us that don't have the time to watch the streams.

For the Pimps, I was not sure about this alpha for a while but the new looks of the POIs are starting to get my interest.

13 minutes ago, Jarod_Silverstar said:

Adam - Yet another thanks from those of us that don't have the time to watch the streams.

For the Pimps, I was not sure about this alpha for a while but the new looks of the POIs are starting to get my interest.

i love the electronic store !

MO' Power! electronics! 

"Watt is in you're outlet?" 

image.png.fd1e03e406026e7b336a49831358e3e0.png

it kinda gives me a 80's Vibe. EVEN THOUGH I WAS NOT IN THE 80'S! but let not look at that! 

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Watched all the streams on youtube here recently. I gotta say that i'm definitely impressed with what's coming out in Alpha 19. my only suggestion is that players have an option somewhere in the menu to turn on/off health bars instead of having to delve into the Xml file to turn them on.

I am excited about the junk sledge for two reasons. First, the current junk turret in a18 is way OP especially early game. Scoring a junk turret was always a milestone to 'sitting on easy street'. I love the turret, but it makes much more sense later on. Second, the junk sledge seems very situational which is fine with me. I like to be creative in setting up traps to its maximum effect and the sledge seems more defensive than offensive in that manner.

No turrets early game combined with zombie stunlock immunity, this sounds like the challenge people are looking for.

20 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

i think it would be cool if the junk hammer had a AOE Spin attack when it has zombies around it!

but hey can't knock it before you try it! 

So how about a blade trap with sledgehammer arms instead of the blades?

Now that I think of it, probably surprising some modder hasn't done it already...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doc_mockingbird said:

Watched all the streams on youtube here recently. I gotta say that i'm definitely impressed with what's coming out in Alpha 19. my only suggestion is that players have an option somewhere in the menu to turn on/off health bars instead of having to delve into the Xml file to turn them on.

I think the best you can hope for would be a console command. The enemy health bars and the critical injury % numbers are developer tools and not intended to be part of the game. It is under-the-hood information that they don't necessarily want to be displayed during normal play so creating a top option menu toggle for it is as unlikely as doing one to show the swing arc graphic or for displaying the name and location of POI's floating above them for example.

39 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

Can you mine with it?  I ask... for someone I know.

I would no sooner mine with it than I would with a sledge hammer or club. It breaks blocks. It doesn't harvest.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Roland said:

I would no sooner mine with it than I would with a sledge hammer or club. It breaks blocks. It doesn't harvest.

Still, were it capable of striking concrete then possibly very early game it would be useful to knock out stairs in a POI you were planning on using for horde night.

Even if it was the same or somewhat slower than using a stone axe, no food consumption (possibly) while using the junk sledge might make it a better choice?

Guess it would depend on how much food we'll burn using stone axes in A19, & food scarcity...

• Like 1

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic