Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

I've played games where nerd polling was removed, and although it certainly makes building more interesting, it also removes all cheesiness associated with nerd polling.  

The change to building wasn't so dramatic that it causes frustration or chaos, it just made you think differently and approach problems with the idea you needed to solve them, not just cheese around them.

It's not game breaking, and is actually quite fun. 

54 minutes ago, Eighmy_Lupin said:

Unless they give us some sort of scaffolding, like Minecraft currently has, nerd polling has to stay or building will be ruined. 

The scaffolding in minecraft really isnt any different than nerd polling.

Naw you just have to build differently.  You have to think/plan it out. 

7 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

If you want to build differently, you already can. Just don't nerdpole, it is as simple as that.

Imagine if it was proposed that jumping has to be removed because a tiny minority of people abuse it in a way that wasn't intended (and don't affect anyone else but themselves and anyone mimicking them). You could argue, "Well, you now have to use your brain. Use ladders, use ramps using the shape menu." But the sole question here would be... "Why"?

But again, it's all up to TFP. If they find it justifiable to remove a mechanic because 1% of people abuse it and use it in a way that wasn't intended, then *shrugs* so be it.

Well the answer to 'why' is simple.

The game used to be complicated, you had to think more, and was fun.  It is now linear, has cartoon arrows telling you what to do and is less fun.

Mind you, I'm not advocating the pimps remove nerd polling; I no longer care... but to believe "building will be ruined" is simply incorrect. 

Remember when everyone was wondering why you couldn't just build blocks that float in the air like you could in Minecraft, and that physics "ruined" building?  

It's like that. 

The person I quoted said it. 

Oh, and tfp is going to get backlash no matter what they do.  Either from the few of us that still haven't moved on or from the console crowd that likes the easier gameplay.

Tfp should do what is right for them.  

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

Regarding of your opinion of the game, it's neither wrong nor is it right. It's your opinion, and I'm sorry that it's no longer as enjoyable to you as it used to be. (No, I am not being sarcastic there. It genuinely sucks when a game evolves into something that you had not paid for.)

I really like that you said this cause it can be spun right around, the game evolving being taking out nerd poling. I also get it, its been in the game so long you can't even visualize it without it. It would make everything harder, is that a bad thing? 

4 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Whatever man, I'm not discussing this any further. All this will turn into, and has turned into, is newer player vs older player, hardcore vs "person who likes easy games", I've seen it all before and I'm just going to take a leave. We'll see what TFP do about it though.

I made the account on here in October, I've owned the game and read stuff on here since alpha 15, just never had a reason to get on. Devs saying they are going to release the game soon will do that. Thanks though for the low blow where it clearly doesn't matter.

8 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Or simply ignore it. 😛 I for one will completely ignore candy. I'm putting them in the same category as air drops. But to each their own.

Usually I m-word to add new content; even the changes I make are to add new challenges.  The way I see it, candy isn't a problem, but I'll probably add a balance for it.  Thanks to tfp I could add in diabetes if I wanted. :)

...but it'll probably be addiction. 

...use your air drops as an example.  Instead of removing or ignoring them, add a challenge.  Zombies/bandits beat you there, whatever.  Definitely remove any cartoon icons. 

On 6/19/2020 at 11:01 PM, Guppys Fur said:

Mr. Mole, any plans/thoughts on raising the price for the Candys?
Obviously i need to play A19 to judge properly, but those candys sound WAY to overpowered to me for that little price.

Sure, 100 Dukes is an amount for Low Level Players to think about, but after level 20 or so?

IF the Economy didnt further change too much, lots guys i played with ended up with ten of thousands of duke coins level 20+ and would be able to munch on those Candys all day long.

Just a bit worried for Mid- and Lategame balance

There just isn't that much stock for it to be munched on all day. At most I've had 2 or 3 saved up by day 30.

J.C.'s Channel, did a great segue from A18 to the upcoming A19. 

If you haven't been current with his A18 stream, it might be a bit confusing, but you can see one of his massive structures he's famous for building.

TFP should hire him for the story-line, he could probably come up with a dozen of them!  

3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Meanwhile, it has just clicked in my brain that sledgehammers are now the only weapons in 7D2D that don't have their own dedicated volume series.

They don't really "need" them, though.  Sledges are already good as-is and simply get bonkers with the correct perks/mods.

That said, in no way am I opposed to TFP adding a magazine series for sledgehammers.  I'm thinking they have other things to tackle of more importance...admittedly that's purely speculation on my part.

What could such a book series entail?  The typical durability cost reduction seems meh; sledges last for days already.  Damage increase book would probably be among them since the others get such a thing.  That stam refill bonus that Batter Up confers to clubs/bats would be broken on sledge.  I think it would be fun to see an attack speed increase for x seconds after a kill; it'd murder a stam bar without some good consumable buffs (coffee and beer come to mind) but could be absolutely wild cleaving through a horde of zombies.  Perhaps hitting a block with a power attack creates a shockwave that staggers nearby zombies...yeah, I know, I'm ripping ideas right out of other games I've played, heh.

Edit:  That second idea would be redundant seeing that you get AoE knockdown starting at rank 3 of the sledge perk

34 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Volume 1: Sledgehammer use speed increased by 5%

Volume 2: Sledgehammers degrade 20% slower

Volume 3: Sledgehammers have a 5% increased chance to stun an opponent

Volume 4: Glancing blows with sledgehammers deal an additional 5% damage

Volume 5: Sledgehammers use 5% less stamina

Volume 6: You can dual wield sledgehammers

Volume 7: Sledgehammers deal an additional 5% damage to doors and safes

Set bonus: Sledgehammers one-shot everything.

;)

That's fine and all, but comparing those to something like the book series that fist weapons/unarmed is getting in A19 and it's a bit underwhelming.

I'm going to go with fist weapons/brawling in my first A19 build as my melee option simply due to how beefy that new book series is for them.  I'll probably be on guns for horde nights anyway, so why not have a bit of fun when out looting by drinking beer and punching zombies 🙂

Hey guys! I'm from the console crowd and have just recently procured a good enough laptop to run the PC (definitely superior) version.

Totally loving it & can't wait to dive into Alpha 19. 

So did I see correctly and they are changing the stripper zombie!!??

NOOOOO!!! Censorship sucks!! Leave in the boobies!!

I think the fps animation is due for a revamp. I'm talking about the the sprint mostly. Also speeding up and not having as much weapon inertia so it doesn't have that floaty delay thing going on would be nice. I feel like the developers are working around those problems because they can't work on it as easily as they can weapon reload animations. Please can you guys work on sprinting and good weapon movements.

Sprinting: tucking the weapon near the rest 

Weapon movement: get rid of the floaty hands by making it quicker and less inertia. Make the guns slightly lean into the direction you're aiming in.

2 hours ago, Outlaw_187 said:

Hey guys! I'm from the console crowd and have just recently procured a good enough laptop to run the PC (definitely superior) version.

Totally loving it & can't wait to dive into Alpha 19. 

So did I see correctly and they are changing the stripper zombie!!??

NOOOOO!!! Censorship sucks!! Leave in the boobies!!

I can get along good with this guy.

Welcome!!

4 hours ago, DaVegaNL said:

Why does half of the forum suddenly consists of deleted posts from MechanicalLens?

Well, at least its better than half the forum consisting of posts from MechanicaLens that ARENT deleted.

;) I jest.

Since we are on the topic of Nerd Polling, has there been any discussion about players "double looting" quest POI's? Players will get a quest to go to a certain building, loot it and then turn around and activate their quest, which resets the building immediately which allows the to loot it again.

3 hours ago, beHypE said:

Shhhh, don't tell em, they might think before they type now 😅

Hey smartass! Come down from your high horse and mingle with us mortals! 😡

I did start reading in the edits but after a while it became tedious.

I was asking WHY they were deleted, not how to read them.

If it's a forum bug or a moderation abuse I'd like to know, if you don't mind that is... *smh*

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived