Jump to content

Alpha 19 Dev Diary


madmole

Recommended Posts

On 6/18/2020 at 11:57 AM, BadPlayer said:

Will we be able to craft tier 6 weapons in A19??

Nope. Players need to go loot if they want the best stuff.

On 6/18/2020 at 12:54 PM, Khalagar said:

 

Kinda yeah, lol. Turn on an Audiobook and mine away, I still think the "Minecraft for adults" aspect of this game is one of it's most unique traits. You get the Sense of Pride and Accomplishment™ too for your hand crafted gear you made yourself, and made all the mods for etc

 

 

The issue is more for tools than guns. A tier 6 Auger is a HUGE step above a Tier 5 one. You can add a Stone breaker, iron breaker, dirt breaker, large gas tank, diamond blade etc which are pretty huge quality of life increases. The more mods your tools have, the faster you can mine, so your tools being gated behind looting actually *is* pretty crippling because it adds several seconds longer per block break depending on the tool and block etc. It can add up pretty fast when doing a big project. Especially on stuff like the Steel Pick where a mod might push you over the breakpoint so you have to swing your pick one less time per block, that's a drastic improvement because of the high stamina drain + long animation to swing

 

For armor mods, it's mainly just me trying to cram as many pockets and liner mods, and same with guns, it's not as big of a deal besides with Junk Turrets. It makes a pretty big deal on Junk Turrets too because the missing damage will mean you end up spending like 10-20% + more ammo per big fight or horde night because of the  "kill break points". With most of the other weapons the break point won't matter that much as it probably won't save you a bullet, but with junk turrets it actually can save you several bullets per zed

It feels like a better accomplishment to have cleared a tier 5 POI and got that Q6 items to, than to just craft it.  You risked your life for it, not just toiled in the dirt for a while.

With the new candy rockbusters you can get 20% more resources for like TEN minutes... it's a really great buy for 100 dukes. My point is you don't need an auger to get a lot of resources.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/18/2020 at 3:24 PM, SittingDuck said:

Knuckle rub made MM the man he is.

get your knuckle rub from any older brother or order now...www.knucklerub.com

 

PS got two older brothers? get a knuckle rub sandwich!

That's right. I have two older brothers. I'll never knew this at the time, but when I finally out benched my eldest brother I guess he was upset about it lol. Payback comes in mysterious ways!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Dethar said:

MM has also started he likes time management in game. So have to decide if you want spend more time, building, mining, looting. Same with backpack size, he likes inventory management.

 

So I dont see them changing much.

Its not that I particularly like those aspects but they are pretty much part of the secret recipe as to WHY this game is fun. If you take away the danger from the incoming horde (the core reason you have to manage your time) I pretty much just quit playing. Once there is no challenge or no NEEDS I lose interest. Like in A16 I was end game by day 21. At best I could get to about day 35 as I'd have a massive impenetrable massive castle by then.

So we're constantly trying to create new needs as they are great time sinks and its rewarding to complete them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, SrslyGTFO said:

Try playing a no trader, no loot respawn, no air drops, no vending game. It's a very lonely game, but very immersive.

With the new slower loot progression I've been thinking of giving that a try. I get my best gear early game from traders because the loot you find isn't that great any more early game. And without traders I'd probably starve.

Maybe make a version where everything costs like 4x as much might work too. Just don't do quests. There is one number to mod that would make everything cost 4x as much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

damn right! he needs to save his voice for his Arnold voice!

 

I spoke too soon. The man, the myth, the legend, Mad Mole is going to chug through pages of posts before his 24 hours of livestream!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, madmole said:

With the new slower loot progression I've been thinking of giving that a try. I get my best gear early game from traders because the loot you find isn't that great any more early game. And without traders I'd probably starve.

Maybe make a version where everything costs like 4x as much might work too. Just don't do quests. There is one number to mod that would make everything cost 4x as much.

It also makes perk choices very important. You can't get a fergittin elixir later. No quests = no POI resets either. No challenges. Just looting and survival. In my current play through, I've just about cleared all the local POIs, and will have to move on. I have my bicycle, but recently got lucky and found both schematics for the 4x4 accessories and chassis, so I'm thinking of building that to move my base to a more densely filled area. It's only day 9. I'll look into that mod option after A19 drops and I play the heck out of vanilla. Can't wait for some more videos!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Roland said:

It's the same as A18. You can have as many as you wish deployed but only the two closest within range will be active if you are perked all the way to level 5. Below level 5 it is only one active at a time. But as Laz stated,  you can plant them at key locations and as you run around each will activate and start working while you are in range.

 

I have put down 2 junk turrets in one spot even though only one worked for me. What would happen is when one ran out of ammo and shut down the other would automatically start up. I never tested how many I could lay down and have work this way. It helped though when my junk turrets had lower mag amounts and I couldn't make the drum mags yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Gamida said:

I never tested how many I could lay down and have work this way.

I had a bm base back in 18.1 or .2 where zeds could come in from NSEW and I put down 2 junk turrets in each direction. Same rules applied as to how many & only closest (with ammo) were active. Worked fine but I wound up feeling like a waiter at a party instead of an antendee :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, madmole said:


With the new candy rockbusters you can get 20% more resources for like TEN minutes... it's a really great buy for 100 dukes. My point is you don't need an auger to get a lot of resources.

 

Mr. Mole, any plans/thoughts on raising the price for the Candys?
Obviously i need to play A19 to judge properly, but those candys sound WAY to overpowered to me for that little price.

Sure, 100 Dukes is an amount for Low Level Players to think about, but after level 20 or so?

 

IF the Economy didnt further change too much, lots guys i played with ended up with ten of thousands of duke coins level 20+ and would be able to munch on those Candys all day long.

 

Just a bit worried for Mid- and Lategame balance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FTMagic said:

Any estimated release date for the Full A19 version? (Wondering if we should wait to reset the server now  or wait...)

They Hope to have experimental ot at end of month and usually about another 3-4 months for stable. Oops did mean weeks, not months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good stream Madmole! A bit disappointed on the Junk Sledge, it seems to confirm my fears that it has a lot issues with tracking zombies and won't really be end game viable. It might have been Lathan's questionable placement though, he put it in places where it basically couldn't fire lol

 

Which raises the question though, what is the end game melee weapon for Int then? Stun Baton and Junk Sledge are both tier 1 weapons, and Rick said Stun Baton wasn't buffed so it's still in really bad shape. The new mod might help it a bit, but it's still in the "Why would I spend 45 seconds trying to stun the zombie when I can just one shot it with a steel sledge???" tier

 

Every other tree has a self contained "Build" where they have their melee and ranged weapon, but in Int, the focus seems quite hard on making the Junk Sledge early game only.

 

So you end up with the tree having 4 weapons total, but 2/4 are tier 1, and the Tier 3 weapon is not an offense weapon, so you really only have a Tier 2 offense weapon with no end game melee weapon at all. Excited to test it first hand, just a bit confused on the what the focus is for the tree as it's kind of all over the place

 

 

7 minutes ago, FTMagic said:

Any estimated release date for the Full A19 version? (Wondering if we should wait to reset the server now  or wait...)

 

The 29th is what they are shooting for

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Guppys Fur said:

 

Mr. Mole, any plans/thoughts on raising the price for the Candys?
Obviously i need to play A19 to judge properly, but those candys sound WAY to overpowered to me for that little price.

Sure, 100 Dukes is an amount for Low Level Players to think about, but after level 20 or so?

 

IF the Economy didnt further change too much, lots guys i played with ended up with ten of thousands of duke coins level 20+ and would be able to munch on those Candys all day long.

 

Just a bit worried for Mid- and Lategame balance

I assume the limiting factor will be availability in vending machines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, beHypE said:

By the way, the junk turrets often make the zombies die standing up, which is annoying. I think it mostly happens when they die during the animation of getting stunned and/or getting up from a stun. @faatal :D

Planning on looking at that bug Monday.

16 minutes ago, Dethar said:

They Hope to have experimental ot at end of month and usually about another 3-4 months for stable.

Experimental duration is normally 3-4 weeks, not months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Good stream Madmole! A bit disappointed on the Junk Sledge, it seems to confirm my fears that it has a lot issues with tracking zombies and won't really be end game viable. It might have been Lathan's questionable placement though, he put it in places where it basically couldn't fire lol

 

I've already razzed Lathan about learning how to use the Junk Sledge. The Sledge increases in capability as you perk up. That was the weakest version that was shown. Slow.

 

44 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Which raises the question though, what is the end game melee weapon for Int then? Stun Baton and Junk Sledge are both tier 1 weapons, and Rick said Stun Baton wasn't buffed so it's still in really bad shape. The new mod might help it a bit, but it's still in the "Why would I spend 45 seconds trying to stun the zombie when I can just one shot it with a steel sledge???" tier

There isn't one that is parallel to the other trees. The sledge and the turret increase in capability as you continue to progress in the perk tree and intelligence attribute but they are meant to assist you as you fight and not be the only weapon. You can pick any other weapon from any other branch and use that alongside the sledge or turret and if you behave strategically then it is a powerful and fun combination. Just....don't stand back and let zombies walk right through the robot....

 

48 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Every other tree has a self contained "Build" where they have their melee and ranged weapon, but in Int, the focus seems quite hard on making the Junk Sledge early game only.

 

So you end up with the tree having 4 weapons total, but 2/4 are tier 1, and the Tier 3 weapon is not an offense weapon, so you really only have a Tier 2 offense weapon with no end game melee weapon at all. Excited to test it first hand, just a bit confused on the what the focus is for the tree as it's kind of all over the place

You were only shown the the most basic version of the sledge. Lathan cheated it in. He had no ranks purchased in either robotics or intelligence. Don't judge what you will have going on by Day 30 with what was shown in the stream. That was just an introduction to how the sledge works but with intelligent tactics and progression taken into account it is better. As far as a tier 3 version of the stun baton I think I've heard about something that will be added at some point.... But in general you are supposed to use a bat, or a sledgehammer, or a knife, or a ranged weapon alongside the robots you pick. 

9 minutes ago, sillls said:

Yeah I hear it's a real blast! 😁

Its just one of those things that if you've played for 100s of hours and didn't know about it and then you try it....it's just mind blowing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Intelligence stat is prone to snowball the character in many games, Fallout 4 being an easy example.

Get 9 points in Int, eventually get the Int bobble head and way too soon you are a maxed out.

 

In 7d2d, if you are about as good as the shooter/melee builds and can make things that expand your game play, it becomes a No

Brainer (pardon the pun).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty happy with Stream. Candy is amazing by the looks. Wedge tip stuff ill adapte , use my old design of 1 block high wall to zombies jumping like at a Rav party lol

 

Be great to see later on a Base human controlled turret. That the player sits in. Looks like this. Late game for mutant hordes

images (22).jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...