Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

MM

A few questions/thoughts re: A19 release.

Vehicle Update:

Objects in the road that are runover, ex Carcass, cynderblocks, protruding stones, crawlers

these are all things that go under the collider. Is it possible to add random sticky chance, until they are

destroyed from travel. Causing minor damage to vehicles, to frame, wheels, mechanical parts needed to build

them?

New Books:

this is mainly in regard to the treasure hunting, I know it can be modded by an individual, and

Instead of a treasure icon, can a spherical overlay be used, not centered until you ascend with the perks?

If not a sphere then a noisemap overlay. Presently with the minimap if I line up facing north east over the

I in the map, and have my pointer over the treasure icon rear of arrow on left side of open lid, bottom right

of arow lined up with the right corner, im always within 1.5 blocks from my right off center.

Improved Player Animations:

There is a differentiation in light/shadow reaction when in first person vs third.

Easy test go to a mountain wall that is blocking the sun, on your motorcycle you are in the active shaded area,

Get off you motorcycle and light/shade are affected when you point toward and away from the sun position through

the solid object. Can a collider on the player doll be used in first person to create shade.

I know its not player, just wanted to ask about them because it falls under animations.

Spider: Will/can a vertical stitched dynamic navmesh be added to allow them to snap to wall/ceiling for crawling,

jumping, and dropping?

Add pets to the occlusion system. That way when they are not in anyone's line of site they teleport to you. As you walk forward they are always out of sight. Which would mean they are always "at your side". Just an idea.

What would happen in a multiplayer environment where other players are looking at you?

Hmm, they want something for the next tier beyond the junk turret.

They want something to be like a companion in the game.

Make a hover drone that has a gun attached to it, that follows the player at head level.

2 birds 1 stone.

What would happen in a multiplayer environment where other players are looking at you?

Then they wouldn't occul (word?) pathing would only be a problem inside of POIs and Player made Bases so unless people stick together like glue it wouldn't be that much of an issue, even if they are most players are not looking at the ground 24/7 anyway. A little weirdness weighed up against a follower system is a great trade imo. Even Fallout's follower system is janky as hell and players still accept it.

I apologize if it's been said already, I am not too active and mostly lurk the forums on an infrequent basis, but I have a suggestion I've been thinking about for a while.

Would there be any way to make markings on your map without tagging locations? I can't think of how much time I've wasted searching for buildings or POIs I've already searched. If I could "X" them out with a pen or something it would be a major time saver. I know the game puts a big focus on exploration, but if there's a map system, it seems fair that I should be able to pen small notes to myself about places I'd like to check out or prioritize, I'm a very visual guy.

In short, it would be nice to have some sort of marker with a basic color palate to make small margin notes or otherwise plan out my days while daylight burns. Tagging locations is awesome, but I can't tag every location I've already visited or the map would be unusable :)

Would there be any way to make markings on your map without tagging locations? I can't think of how much time I've wasted searching for buildings or POIs I've already searched.

I mark them in the world. Drop a chest on the front walk when I first go in, that's handy anyway for loot triage, put a rock in the mailbox once I've taken out even the little stuff, those work.

Hey Madmole. I just saw the new stone ax for Alpha 19. Then I thought what about several different looks for stone axes?

Several different looks of the stone ax that the player would craft at random.

The stone ax on the first page looks great. I would love to see several different versions to it though.

It would also give TFP's on the art side something to do while bugs are being worked out.

No 4 legged followers look like crap vs a hovering or tank tread/ bipedal robot.

A hovering bot would spare animations and thus be easier to program. Should need fuel then.

Give it a (auto) reconing mode, without being capable of shooting (if both -> to overpowered). Sensing ores would be fine, too.

Make it installable and removable into the 4x4 (or landclaim protected areas).

EDIT: And make it a random encounter in the wastelands and some POIs :tickled_pink:

I'm thinking of making glue and fuel from it, nothing edible since its genetically modified.

Hey MadMole. On the topic of glue, I have found it quite beneficial in adding starch based glue recipes to the camp fire and chemistry station in my game, basically turning corn and potatoes into glue. Other forms that I found were resin based, which could be added to trees.

With making fuel from supper corn sound like a sweet combo with the flame thrower trap that could come in A19.

It will get deleted or turned into a grenade launcher.

will all weapons get three tiers? I like the concept of the intelligence weapons but find them a tad underwhelming. the shock baton lacks damage and the stun ability isn't a seller on using it like the bat or spear. And the junk turret is great on horde night but the perks in attack speed don't translate to use in the hand, also you can't aim the thing with precision. I suggested a full three tiers for the intelligence attribute weapons a few weeks ago and i haven't had seen anything about from you.

page 21 comment 304 is the original post.

Add pets to the occlusion system. That way when they are not in anyone's line of site they teleport to you. As you walk forward they are always out of sight. Which would mean they are always "at your side". Just an idea.

Occlusion is client side of what is seen by that client. Pet following would be handled on the server like all the AI is, so separate systems.

Here's a video of my day 56 horde night (18.1, 16 max alive, adventurer diff.). Skip to around the 5 minute mark to see how the vultures just hover above me until I shoot them.

I see. In that situation having them attack the bars would also be an effective solution.

Spider: Will/can a vertical stitched dynamic navmesh be added to allow them to snap to wall/ceiling for crawling,

jumping, and dropping?

Not likely. It would need to be a new path system, so weeks of work that I think is better spent elsewhere.

So are we going to get something like in crossout?

Could be nice to build own vehicles from scrap modules.

398898.jpg

Not in A19 and not likely in this game. Someday building you own vehicles from blocks would be nice, but sounds like a sequel feature.

Drones.......that makes perfect sense. I could probably mod a vulture into a drone fairly easily. Fun ideas. Just thinking.

I like the idea but the moment you put that mechanic into the hands of modders a PVP base assault is going to have quite a "Saudi Oil Refinery" look to it.

Not that it would be a bad thing :-)

I like the idea but the moment you put that mechanic into the hands of modders a PVP base assault is going to have quite a "Saudi Oil Refinery" look to it.

Not that it would be a bad thing :-)

I have a feeling a drone pet would be more palatable to people then a junk bot, just sayin..😂

1) Tier 3 INT weapon, check

2) Hovers/flies, vulture AI pathing 2.0, check

3) Available at Kmart, check

4) Moddable, check

I have a feeling a drone pet would be more palatable to people then a junk bot, just sayin..😂

1) Tier 3 INT weapon, check

2) Hovers/flies, vulture AI pathing 2.0, check

3) Available at Kmart, check

4) Moddable, check

5) Absolutely ridiculous reasons for not having a junk bot , check

6) absolutely silly reasons for not having .50cal weapons and ammo check.. check and check....

I completely agree 😁

Archived