Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

I just wanted to let you guys know that the Streamer Weekend is tentatively scheduled to start June 26th. I just gave that date to the streamers and know that many will begin hyping it to their viewers and then it would get back to here and then you guys would be upset that you had to hear about it from outside sources. So I'm telling you now that Friday June 26th is our hopeful date but it isn't guaranteed. If TFP feels they must delay another week then they will.

But that means that Monday June 29th should be a VERY GOOD DAY. (knock on wood)

3 hours ago, Roland said:

I just wanted to let you guys know that the Streamer Weekend is tentatively scheduled to start June 26th. I just gave that date to the streamers and know that many will begin hyping it to their viewers and then it would get back to here and then you guys would be upset that you had to hear about it from outside sources. So I'm telling you now that Friday June 26th is our hopeful date but it isn't guaranteed. If TFP feels they must delay another week then they will.

But that means that Monday June 29th should be a VERY GOOD DAY. (knock on wood)

June 26th is my birthday, I appreciate the gesture :)

Either way it means they're getting almost ready for experimental.

That's nice and they actually did it in a reasonable amount of time, considering COVID-19 and the quarantine problems.

I mean, it's not like they need to travel much to make the game... but there have been a lot more RL problems messing up everyone's lives lately. 😷

Great news ! Roland, can you give us some broad figures about how the super early experimental went? Number of people who opted-in, number of new bugs that it helped fixing, stuff like that. I guess the stability of 19.0 should be way better than all previous x.0 versions, for a lot more people have already tested it. 

1 hour ago, beHypE said:

Great news ! Roland, can you give us some broad figures about how the super early experimental went? Number of people who opted-in, number of new bugs that it helped fixing, stuff like that. I guess the stability of 19.0 should be way better than all previous x.0 versions, for a lot more people have already tested it. 

Yeah, I scanned the names and hours played on the tester candidates...

I would say, we are in good hands with that group!

i love how they are updating the game only thing i wish they wouldnt reduce so much of the perks the amount of diffrent perks makes it funner when lvling and developing

your char i understand changing the perks up but reducing seems like it will make it less customizable for each persons char and making it more for the below average gamer

rather then the pones who like the game for its conent

28 minutes ago, keilsa said:

i love how they are updating the game only thing i wish they wouldnt reduce so much of the perks the amount of diffrent perks makes it funner when lvling and developing

your char i understand changing the perks up but reducing seems like it will make it less customizable for each persons char and making it more for the below average gamer

rather then the pones who like the game for its conent

They don't reduce the numbers of perks. Mostly, they rebalance a lot of them so that they only have 3 ranks instead of 5. If anything it means a lot more diversity because in A18 a lot of perks didn't seem like they were worth investing 5 points in, compared to combat related perks and "must haves".

Wow, I honestly wasn't expecting A19 to be even close to ready for quite a while longer (saw on reddit the streamer weekend announcement so decided to come have a look).

Haven't been on the forums since A18 released and just looked at the coming changes on the first page and I have to say I am once again super hyped to do another playthrough of 7DTD lol.  Loving the new and improved looks of the zombies and tools and the new weapons and equipment look really interesting.

Its crazy thinking about how far this game has come from where it originally started.  It definitely remains one of my favorite games in my steam library!

Now I have to go ahead and get my Satisfactory itch out of the way so I can be ready to play 7dtd lol.

5 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Either way it means they're getting almost ready for experimental.

That's nice and they actually did it in a reasonable amount of time, considering COVID-19 and the quarantine problems.

I mean, it's not like they need to travel much to make the game... but there have been a lot more RL problems messing up everyone's lives lately. 😷

Yes, and it's worth mentioning many other indie games were delayed by covid while the devs kept pimpin...👍

54 minutes ago, Perlin_Worm said:

What a horrible task it must be to dig through developers Github and write up release notes. Do you assign it to the new guy?

It's probably a mishmash of change logs from every build....🤣

3 hours ago, beHypE said:

They don't reduce the numbers of perks. Mostly, they rebalance a lot of them so that they only have 3 ranks instead of 5. If anything it means a lot more diversity because in A18 a lot of perks didn't seem like they were worth investing 5 points in, compared to combat related perks and "must haves".

5 points or more. With some of the builds I played I was looking at 11+ points invested in an off focus tree to get a QOL perk to the point that it was decent. This will hopefully shave 4 or 5 points off of that. Yea Science! being removed and the stuff it unlocks put in places that make sense (hopefully on the make sense part) is going to be really nice.

1 hour ago, hiemfire said:

With some of the builds I played I was looking at 11+ points invested in an off focus tree to get a QOL perk to the point that it was decent

That's a pretty consistent issue with nearly every build. No matter what "build" you decide to use, there are still near mandatory skills you have to invest the majority of your points into. It takes so many perks to actually get the perks to a valuable level, and most of them aren't even the stuff your build is focused around

Basically all builds eventually want

Maxed out

• Miner 69
  •  Mother Lode
  •  Quest Reward perk in Intellect
  • Better Barter in Intellect
  •  Junk Turrets because they make horde nights affordable

Some points in

• Health Regen
  •  Pack Mule, how many points in it depend on how many deep pocket mods you find
  •  The gardening perks based on whether you want to grow a garden, most people do late game so they don't have to worry about food
  •  The stun resist perk

Essentially all builds are going to dip into Strength 100% chance (unless you are hardcore RPing some weird build specifically to not use strength), and most people go into Int for Junk Turrets and the perk that gives better quest rewards and better prices on stuff late game unless you are playing life on hard mode.

The other trees are kind of niche and have stuff where you are like "I'd like to have it, but it's too expensive to invest in right now" and have to get them later on after you get Miner 69 and your "main" perk the build is built around. 

Like Fortitude has some really solid stuff but it's more for midgame and late game.  Nearly everything in Perception and Agility both is really niche, they have okay things but they are mostly just for specific gimmick builds. Int is simultaneously the worst tree in the game and best tree at the same time. All the building / crafting / stun baton stuff is terrible, but the trader stuff and junk turret are ridiculously good to the point of being broken

I REALLY  think the attribute system needs a total overhaul as well, because it's counter intuitive, like saying "I have max Fortitude, I bet I'm super tanky!! Oh wait, max fortitude doesn't increase health or durability? It increases . . .machine gun damage?????"

The perk rebalance will hopefully address it, it makes sense to consolidate the meh skills in with better ones, and lower the amount of investment required.  I'm hoping we get patch notes soon so we can start nerding out with Excel to complain about which perks are bad before we actually get to use them and test them

Archived