Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

14 hours ago, madmole said:

<AL: Pertaining to gas powered tools using food and water>

We don't have a clean way to do that, but its on the radar.

I'm assuming C# is used.

In the code where it uses gas have the next lines be:

this.player.food -= this.player.intToolFoodLoss;

this.player.water -= this.player.intToolWaterLoss;

So this would allow for one player to be better skilled at using tools (strength or perks?) thereby use less food and water. 

Edit: Also, where it checks for enough gas to run the tool, the next lines might be:

If this.player.food - this.player.intToolFoodLoss > 0   {

If this.player.water - this player.intToolWaterLoss > 0   {

Tool.Working;

else

Music.play.PlayerThirsty;

}

else

Music.play.PlayerHungry;

}

Something like that anyway.

38 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

So football, cheerleader, nurse, and stripper zombies removed/remodeled. What of the farmer zombie?

Makes me sad too.  "Out of place" is finding bunches of random zombies all over the wasteland.  "Out of place" is opening the main loot of a large POI and all you get is a can of Stock.  The wasteland should be empty, and the loot containers should have a parameter on them that sets them at a level, eg "basic", "average" and "best".  If TFP had added 10 new generic zeds to balance out the more specific ones that would have gone much further to improving the game than removing our favourites.

I saw a video on Youtube by someone who managed to get Alpha 1 running again.  I saw a few things that I liked.  In particular the turning heads were noticible - this is already mentioned as back in Alpha 19!  YAY for that.  Another thing was the way the sleepers were awake and gathered on the edge of the top of the roof, looking down at the player.  That had such an awesome feeling ... like do you REALLY want to come into this building, with your warm blood and beating heart?  Aparently back then there were no "sleepers" - so if TFP could make it so that a few of the sleepers randomly woke up and start roaming the POI before you enter.... You would not know where you will find them inside the building !!!

2 hours ago, TheRani said:

Indeed, but one of the things that sometimes makes WINE a pain is that not everything just automatically works with it perfectly, and sometimes you need to do complicated technical stuff to tweak it to work just right.

Of course it doesn't!

Beef for example works great with WINE (the red version).

I don't understand however what's so complicated about pairing the right food with WINE, you just need a bit of experience and taste there...

Anyway, I like WINE, it makes me happy.

4 hours ago, Tahaan said:

Makes me sad too.  "Out of place" is finding bunches of random zombies all over the wasteland.  "Out of place" is opening the main loot of a large POI and all you get is a can of Stock.  The wasteland should be empty, and the loot containers should have a parameter on them that sets them at a level, eg "basic", "average" and "best". 

If the wasteland was empty, nobody in their right mind would ever go there. Might as well get rid of it. It's an ugly place to be in and really heavy performance wise. It makes sense for there to be lots of zombies and mutated, considering that's where most of the population was before the bombings.

41 minutes ago, Xtrakicking said:

If the wasteland was empty, nobody in their right mind would ever go there. Might as well get rid of it. It's an ugly place to be in and really heavy performance wise. It makes sense for there to be lots of zombies and mutated, considering that's where most of the population was before the bombings.

There never were any bombings.  Government is spreading this fake information to control people with Chem trails and 5G towers, while only The Duke gains from all of this.

Considering "Out of Place" - i proposed in the Pimp Dreams for POIs to have a minimum and maximum GameStage setting (for loot and enemies seperately or together). I personally think it would be a great addition, especially after some tweaks are made and you simply don't find "ONLY A CAN OF STOCK" among the best loot caches in the rewards room or some other garbage (expecting at least some good equipment).

I've had a few occasions (more often on my 50% loot playthrough) that i didn't find anything or simply things not worth spending time in a POI. Sure it's a roulette and you should never know what to find, but the purpose of raiding a POI (through a quest or not) it should give you something useful, even if only to be sold.

You can only feel lucky if you sometimes have bad luck. You can only enjoy success if you know failure.

Two chinese fortune cookie proverbs for everyone who thinks a high level chest should have guaranteed good loot. If you want guarantees, buy from the trader (IMHO)

3 minutes ago, meganoth said:

You can only feel lucky if you sometimes have bad luck. You can only enjoy success if you know failure.

Two chinese fortune cookie proverbs for everyone who thinks a high level chest should have guaranteed good loot. If you want guarantees, buy from the trader (IMHO)

...aaaand THAT's why I call them Platitude cookies. 

8 hours ago, Khalagar said:

The threshold trigger stuff seems to have been added when they added sleepers. ATM stealth is just 100% pointless. You can crouch down with an unsilenced hunting rifle with 0 points in a single stealth or stealth damage skill, and just one hit kill headshot all sleeping normal zombies (even on high difficulty) in a room and they don't aggro. Two zombies can be shoulder to shoulder in a "sleeping" state, and you can shoot one of the zombies with your unsilenced hunting rifle and the other zombie won't wake up as long as you are standing outside the room

The trigger seems to be if you miss and damage a block in the room with your bullet, or if you step foot within the trigger zone. So it may be more the trigger zones rather than the sleepers, but I just consider it two sides of the same problem since they were in the same update and are tied to the issue. Them sleeping just gives you free kills since it just lowered the chance of alert zombies even spawning

Totally agree. For everything sleepers added (no more "waking up the whole building" and getting rid of them once they all come at you), I feel like the whole concept makes stealth totally irrelevant. You ARE super stealthy by default, silencers and perks make no difference. What you stated about shooting zombies without waking their neighbours can be easily verified, just go the Hospital and start killing the sleepers on the Heliport. They all sleep right next to each other but if you stay on the stairway, you can fire whatever gun you want, some of them just don't wake up until you hit them.

Maybe some should be "hard sleepers" while others just wake up if you make sound, regardless of them being in the same room as you. To add to that, those waking up could be relatively silent, as in "don't tear the whole building apart" but take pathways or wait at the "closest" entrance so they are right in your face when you walk in. Would make stealth at least a little bit relevant. Either you wake half the building by going in all guns blazing, or you can sneak and kill all of them without them noticing.

Also the "trigger tresholds" you're mentionning feel very, very gimmicky. You can empty a clip of AK47 in the next room and don't wake up anyone, but somehow walking slowly in their room magically makes them notice you.

33 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Nothing praises good luck like some bad luck through all of the containers in the room...

As much as i understand it, there still is a sense of bad taste in your mouth, because you spent half an hour (or more) on something that brought you nothing. I wouldn't mind if i found some tools or equipment that was not intended for me, anything sorta valuable. When i get a set of bandages, low tier tools (like a stone axe), plants (common around the area) or some basic resources, it's rare for me to take them and feel cheated out. Same goes for rewards from the trader. Sometimes he gives such utter garbage that i wonder why i even consider doing the quests (apart from the dukes of course).

I don't mind getting worse items as rewards in loot or from quests, but there should be a minimum value of items to be obtained. I know it's more of a rant on RNG, but as i understand reworking the loot tables should guarantee i don't find a steel pickaxe too quick, but also let me find something useful (neither of 2 extremes).

18 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I second this. At times it's almost comical how you can be blasting your gun in a house for minutes at a time, but no zombies will hear you in the next room over. The moment you sneak through the doorway and step on a loose piece of paper however, every zombie wakes up immediately while one of the them goes, "Uh, uh, wha? Quick, everyone up! Someone is invading our home!"

This is why a gun is a terrible idea in the zombie apocalypse.  A single gunshot would have every zombie in a half-mile radius walking in your general direction.

20 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I second this. At times it's almost comical how you can be blasting your gun in a house for minutes at a time, but no zombies will hear you in the next room over. The moment you sneak through the doorway and step on a loose piece of paper however, every zombie wakes up immediately while one of the them goes, "Uh, uh, wha? Quick, everyone up! Someone is invading our home!"

This is one where compromise is probably needed.  In older alphas, you could wake the entire POI by just banging on the walls outside if I recollect things correctly.

Although this sounds like the way it should be (more realistic?), it wasnt great for gameplay.

It made looting POIs very linear and removed most of the challenge.

What we have now is a compromise of the two.  You can still wake up zeds in one room over to break out a door/window, it just wont be the entire house.

Can it be improved? Sure, I think so.  When sleepers were first introduced they were mostly all jack in the box types (closets) but since then it's been varied more.  Let's see what the devs can do.

Original Facebook post

I was browsing Facebook posts and came across this.

Is there a way we can tweak radiated Zombies to be less invasive with that green glow, but more subtle yet clearly visible it's radiated like example in the picture?

I agree with his comments as well. I think it's better for cuts and gashes in the zombie skin to glow green versus the zombie's whole body including clothes which really is a little weird for me and it may help with performance with some PCs.

Radiated Zombie.jpg

agree but it will take longer for A19

plus like mechanicellens said. they are place holder

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

All current radiated zombie skins are nothing but placeholders. Other than maybe radiated cops and a couple others, radiateds will eventually be replaced with late-game heavily mutated zombie variants, or at least that is the current plan as far as I know.

i have been thinking of those zombies the ones that Madmole keeps talking about could have a model for male and female and they would looked kinda like a feral wight but with some small cracks of glow and more human looking features.

but sense the others will go. maybe sense there will be space for other zombies. maybe the radioactive zombies could return (IN A WAY as just a single special zombie!) like how the feral wight is a single zombie type.

they could spawn late game and the wasteland! and they could kinda look like the glowing ones from fallout. just one model and a base amount of health!

they can be called. Radioactive Corpes/ Zombie Roe

like 650 HP, heal ability, Radiation damage, heals near by normal zombies (not special) 

like this

Spoiler

Glowing one | Fallout Wiki | Fandom

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

This is one where compromise is probably needed.  In older alphas, you could wake the entire POI by just banging on the walls outside if I recollect things correctly.

Although this sounds like the way it should be (more realistic?), it wasnt great for gameplay.

It made looting POIs very linear and removed most of the challenge.

What we have now is a compromise of the two.  You can still wake up zeds in one room over to break out a door/window, it just wont be the entire house.

Can it be improved? Sure, I think so.  When sleepers were first introduced they were mostly all jack in the box types (closets) but since then it's been varied more.  Let's see what the devs can do.

I liked it personally and thought it was great game play, and thought the sleeper mechanic would be an "addition to" what we already had, instead of the sleeper mechanic taking it all over, for ever building.

I was hoping it would be like: You made noise outside to try and wake them up, and the majority of zombies would try to get out like 60-70%, and the rest (30-40%) wouldn't activate yet till you started to cross the trigger points. So that way you never truly knew if the building was totally cleared or not, and still needed to proceed with caution.

The path finding is at a point now, that they would be able to path find, over just destroying everything, no matter what level of the building they were on. Even if, some did go the destroy route, then no big deal. Next time stealth your way in instead.

No biggie though, it can be done with what they have. Just not worth the effort, till they are done. Too many building to go through and set up, just to have it be changed later by them. 

Edit: Just my opinion ofc. TFP will do, what they are going to do. Not expecting them to change things, just on how I would like it. 

Laz, I can still use the same mechanic in the current system, but even better because of the brightly lit path I know I'm supposed to take. Sure I can't bang on the walls from the outside except for the first time, but I can bang on the of each room then back out of the house expecting them to follow me out the same path. And they do. All in all I really don't need to fight zombies inside any POI except for one where I fall through the floor. Because I suck at memorizing POIs.

So it's the same method, just takes a little longer.  And since they conga line, I can get a few as they come out the hole.

10 hours ago, Tahaan said:

so if TFP could make it so that a few of the sleepers randomly woke up and start roaming the POI before you enter.... You would not know where you will find them inside the building !!!

This...POIs should not be 100% sleepers

Just now, Rusrec00 said:

This...POIs should not be 100% sleepers

I think the game is much scarier when you're in a building surrounded by zombies than when you're outside of a building and most of the zombies are hidden within. 

I don't mind the sleeper system, but I do wish it was not the predominant system.

At least make a system where if sleepers wake up, the biome spawns increase and zombies head your general direction.

That would put a great deal more pressure on you.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived