Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

5 minutes ago, The Gronk said:

In any survival situation you treat your vehicle with great care, taking no unnecessary risks.  Roads deteriorate quite quickly without a constant stream of vehicles going over them, you may be forced to drive slowly even in the middle of a city.

Reveal hidden contents

800px-Pripyat_CentralSquare_0.jpg

I can't remember ever having driven _with_ power steering. 

These roads are obviously pristine and until they show even the slightest hint otherwise (like Nitrogen) I'm going to assume ZDOT is well funded.

4 minutes ago, Ranzera said:

These roads are obviously pristine and until they show even the slightest hint otherwise (like Nitrogen) I'm going to assume ZDOT is well funded.

When I drive over rough terrain for any length of time it isn't my arms that get tired, regardless of power steering, it's my lower back and thighs.  That's where the stamina drain is.  It's from constantly changing gear and braking.

The roads in 7dtd are obviously an unfinished system so until told the terrain generator is finished I'm going to assume the intention is to make them reasonably realistic.

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

Are you trying to tell me having a country road rise up and fall back down again like a crazy roller coaster ride isn't realistic? 😛

Have you ever driven between England and Scotland?  That's pretty much normal around here  🙂

18 minutes ago, Ranzera said:

The terrain gen on the worlds you're playing on must be very generous to you. Allot of the roads outside of the towns on Navezgane and in the Random Gen worlds I've played have several sections very reminiscent of cooled Paoioi or old school cattle guards.

4 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

i thought it was going to be used for fuel?

but thats good too! I LOVE DUCK TAPE!

Nah, oil shale is abundant. Now, a reliable source for glue will give you a chance to place more shotgun turrets for horde defense. In A16 I needed something like 500 ~ 600 glue each horde night (crafting paper) which is impossible today. 

Glue is fairly rare, but paper isn't. I just scrap everything paper related when going through a building and easily walk out with hundreds and hundreds of paper. Bones and especially rotten meat are a bit too rare though imo. I guess the intention was to make farm plots harder to get . . . but like, farm plots are REALLY hard to get. I break down all the bodies I find at hospitals and such to get rotten meat, and by day 34 in my current game I've got like 5 total farm plots. Compared to me having a crucible and motorcycle and nearly a full set of steel / military armor within 10 days . . .

2 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Bones and especially rotten meat are a bit too rare though imo.

Zombie bears and zombie dogs are a fairly good source for bones and rotten flesh. Not a fan of harvesting the bodybags myself. Takes too long with a knife (using a machete on one takes as long as using a level 1 bone knife on a boar) and the axes don't give enough in return.

13 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

I break down all the bodies I find at hospitals and such to get rotten meat, and by day 34 in my current game I've got like 5 total farm plots. Compared to me having a crucible and motorcycle and nearly a full set of steel / military armor within 10 days . . .

Day 35, I've got a full farm almost completely up, ten each corn blueberries aloe, six potato plants but room for the other four, two more seed crops and I'm golden. Plus plenty of coffee, and pumpkins and yucca for the specialty stuff.  No mushrooms yet.

But I haven't been able to find a crucible at all this run.  The cops are probably going to blow my walls in, I think I'm going to wind up either perching in the rafters, sniping at them while the horde tears my base apart, or hopping on the bike and just running.

On 6/7/2020 at 6:05 PM, MechanicalLens said:

Anybody care to provide a brief explanation on the niche appeal towards Linux and, more importantly, while it's still around? 😛

TLDR: Windows and Apple are for hoomans, Linux is for machines.

Linux has it's niches, and it dominates them for the most part. It is especially utilized to run many real world machines that need a reliably functioning brain of it's own. They just sent humans to the ISS with it, yes Dragon uses Linux, as do all Tesla vehicles, and many if not most other vehicles. No @%$*#!ing way you'd ever find any of those running Windows or whateverthe@%$*#! Apple thing exists now. And, very importantly, they are all modified/specialized versions of Linux, some much more than others. Would be a nightmare of coordination as an OS that way, but is ideal for custom brain building.

I don't use it for my PC, never have nor likely will, but I would trust little else in any of my robots. I have also never, not once in over 20 years in the field, seen any other major OS(Win/Mac) running a robot. Not running on it as an interface, that happens sometimes, but actually controlling the robot. Lesser(simpler)stuff like Arduino, sure for simple bots, but OS's are made for us people-peeps, it is near useless(resource allocation is @%$*#!ed) and highly unreliable for any machine to reasonably function with as it's own brain. Nowadays there is ROS (Robotics Operating System) which isn't exactly Linux but still Unix based, deliberately built as "Linux for robots", and to interact with that guess what is most used: Linux. It will never be Windows nor Apple running a robot, aside from maybe an interface layer, and if you ever meet a robot that is, run. Well you could prob walk actually, or just stay still point and laugh at it, just don't rely on it for anything.

Anyway, that's my angle on ye ol' Linux.

7 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

Those are geese, and they're Canadian.

Canadian people might be the most interesting people in the world.  They all have a "Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" syndrome.

In peacetime, nicest people you will know for the most part.

In wartime... quietly scary, like Hannibal Lecter scary.

In WW2 one Canadian division closed the Falase Pocket near Normandy, winning France.

Then the Germans put an entire army on the island, guarding the approaches to Antwerp's port system by ship.  Of course for something impossible, I think the Canadians sent two divisions, destroying the German army and winning WW2 for the most part.  

3 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

That's only a stereotype. Trust me, Canadians can be just as salty as every other person on the planet. ;) How do I know? I live among them.

Also, allow me to flip through my history records of the accomplishments of Canadians during times of war... Alright, let me see... Alright... Okay then... Mmm-hmm... Nope, sorry, I can't find anything.

Also, Canada barely participated in WW2, at least to my knowledge.

Ignorance and arrogance together is never a good thing   Or are you just killing time?

7 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:
7 hours ago, KuriousTurtle said:

My wife is making beef stroganoff tonight for supper, and I had completely forgotten that realistic fog was added to the game

hope it taste good!

We have the best tasting fog!

2 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Trust me, Canadians can be just as salty as every other person on the planet.

The internet has this weird thing where they hype up Canadians as the nicest people in the world, then completely ignore the dark parts of Canada, like the entire First Nations people and how they were and still are treated. Not to say Canadians aren't great, they are just like every other country too where they have their share of baby skeletons under the rug

14 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Ok, so you're fine with much less plausible things that are already in the game but for some reason this one is a no-go for you... I still don't get it.

I guess it's just something you've made up your mind on then.

15 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

There's tons of things that don't make much sense in a game (in general) and in 7DTD specifically.

So why does this specific design choice especially get on your nerves?

Are you a car/motorcycle enthusiast or something? 🤨

Jesus christ whenever I see this kind of argument it really makes my skin crawl. We are talking about certain topic and you immediately make an offhanded assumption about other? How do you know I dont mind other things?

Not only that, but you dont even provide an example of much less plausible thing. Feels to me you are just blindly defending anything fun pimps do without critical thinking.

15 hours ago, faatal said:

All activities burn calories. Plenty of info on the internet.

Sleeping 0.95 MET.

Standing quietly, standing in a line 1.3 MET.

Truck, semi, tractor, > 1 ton, or bus, driving 2.5 MET.

Driving a motor scooter, motorcycle 3.5 MET.

Bicycling, < 10 mph, leisure, to work or for pleasure 4 MET.

Bicycling, on dirt or farm road, moderate pace 5.8 MET.

Running 4 mph (13 min / mile) 5 MET.

Running, cross country 9 MET.

https://captaincalculator.com/health/calorie/

Hmm you provide convincing arguments. This is actually really interesting and I had no idea about this. I just point to that at first glance it will look weird to players if they notice it but seeing that the numbers are fairly low it should not be problem. 

14 hours ago, faatal said:

My point was all activities, including driving use calories. The 3.5 MET for driving a motorcycle, was most likely on nice clean roads, which is not what they are in the game. In any event we will use values that make sense game play wise. If it was based on reality, then you would not be moving at all with those tons of materials in your backpack.

Gameplaywise, wouldn't increased food consumption with heavier guns (rocket launcher, m60) be also meaningful?

You could also gate heavy equipment usage  behind a different ramboesque perk, in order to further clarify archetypes.

I mean currently we got quantum physicists pulling out the rambogun with prolly 1 STR and 7 perception.

Note: I am usually one of these physicists 🤡

Archived