Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

hey Madmole, what are the cahnces of getting custom prefabs/POIs we can add and share via steam workshop? 

On 5/22/2020 at 6:09 PM, Adam the Waster said:

you know what 7 days to die Really needs?

not new guns or zombies...... IT is!

Hide contents

Canned Cheeseburger 

this honestly sounds like a TFP thing to do. Or maybe they could pull a DayZ and add canned bacon or something

Just to confirm, my junk turrets also fall down all the railings and other stuff (happened on a table in a POI, and the broken bridge on Navezgane). Most of the times you can retrieve them, sometimes they're just gone. 

Also I have a pretty handicaping issue. Sometimes my game just gets really messy, like I have a 0.5 - 1 sec freeze every 5-10 seconds. Closing the game and relaunching fixes the issue, but when you're in the middle of a T5 quest you can't do that and it gets really unplayable real fast. gfx dt, gfx pp 0 don't help one bit. Usually the game runs pretty smoothly (I have a decent mid-tier rig), but when it starts stuttering like that I can't seem to find a solution for it.

It is worth noting that it hasn't much if anything to do with the environment or POIs or lights or so.

2 hours ago, Deadalready said:

Any rebalancing to the hunting rifle, marksman and magnum? Right now they feel severely underpowdered, clumsy and slow.

I have to ask, have you ever fired these types of guns? They are fairly accurate to my experience firing them.

2. If the guns are not different, why have them. Might as well only have m60 and pump shotgun.

4 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

this is what the Pimp dream forums look like...

Me praying to the toilet for forgiveness after eating taco bell ...

I remember back when the pimps had just released Alpha 1 and the Pimp Dreams section was actually worth posting in. Now that the devs are closing in on Gold those forums are not what they used to be. Oh well.

13 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I personally believe the marksman rifle and the hunting rifle are fine the way they are, especially since a new T3 sniper rifle is coming in A19, but we'll have to wait and see. But I completely agree with you on the magnum. My current build is agility-based, and after finding a T5 magnum recently, I crafted 500 AP magnum ammo and about the equivalent amount of regular ammo for it. Huge waste. The magnum cannot take a silencer (to my knowledge), making it pointless for any and all stealth scavenge raids. Unless you're playing on, like, 16 max alive during blood moons, the magnum can never hold its own. It has a terribly slow reload, it only has a half-dozen shots in the cylinder (nothing you can do about that), and worse still, even on Nomad difficulty, it takes several shots to drop the average radiated... and those are headshots! I bet you that the upcoming Desert Vulture will replace it outright unless some serious rework is done to the magnum, which is just a glorified hunting rifle in my eyes.

I feel like it could be shifted over to the legendary tier list once that comes. Same with any other art asset that got the chop.         

That way you can give it special treatment and have some cool buffs, damage, etc tied to it.

Since A19 is gonna have the DV, I can see more players thinking the .44 revolver as more of an outlier and not a worthwhile weapon. The regular pistol is better in every way practically. Might even out dps it. Especially when you get the bigger magazine mods.

I decided to give the Magnum the benefit of the doubt again in A18 since I hadn't tried it in a while, but yeah it's still pretty bad. Not even worth carrying for the 5% store discount honestly.

I love the Hunting Rifle, but mostly because I really like bolt action rifles. I wish it was better though. It and the Marksman rifle are both gimped hard by the toggle aim down sights screwing you over when you shoot and try to reload, as well as them not really doing all that much damage per shot. Why would you ever use a single shot sniper when the fully auto M60 does nearly as much damage, and the sniper takes more than shot to kill anyway. In the time you pump enough Marksman rifle shots into your target to kill it, you could have also thrown out enough M60 shots to kill it too, probably in a really similar amount of bullets.

I just use the M60 in extremely controlled single shot to three shot bursts and it's just a better sniper tbh

With A18 we are getting a new Desert Eagle and Sniper so perhaps those will be a bit better end game, but they will kind of face the same "gameplay problems" the others already do. When 10 irradiated zombies are rushing you, anything but a shotgun or m60 or Ak is just "yeah no". Crossbow at least gets explosive ammo which sort of helps it, although I don't know why you'd ever use it instead of just crafting pipe bombs instead

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

IMPORTANT: Giving these trying times right now, perhaps it would be for the best if we now use a synonym for "looting" such as "scavenging", out of moral respect. Maybe; you do you, but maybe it's a good idea right now to abandon that word, like for example we have abandoned clowns due to many incidents a few years back.

But what rhymes with "scavenging" when trying to describe A18's gameplay in a critical manner...?

Closest I could come up with was "It's such a scavenging managing game now" but I don't know whether inventory management is as much a hot topic as shooting...

;)  ;)  

+1 on the quantum tunneling junk turrets. I *always* find them inside the block that meets the ground blocks, directly under where I placed it when it happens. Hope that helps others.

34 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Or the SMG; I've been using it recently and, while it's certainly not as effective as the M60, it's still a pretty beast weapon once fully perked into it.

The SMG is a great weapon even with no perks (all the guns are tbh, I never perk them). I get the rod and spring, clip size and recoil reducing upgrades for it and turn it into a bullet hose. It gives me something to do with those otherwise unused 9mm on horde night.

Ah I forgot about the SMG honestly, never really use it since Junk Turrets / Ak / M60 seem to fill the same role better, I need to test it again. It's in an interesting spot, where does it even fit on the weapon tier? I always put it as the Tier 3 Pistol, but now that we have Desert Eagle . . .

9mm -> Magnum -> Desert Eagle

Ak47 -> Assault Rifle -> M60

Hunting Rifle -> Marksman Rifle -> Sniper Rifle

SMG -> ?? ->??

It seems to just be kind of out on it's own unless they are making two entirely new SMGs just to fill out the SMG tree, in which case, will it still be effected by pistol perks?

6 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Speaking of which, that's one of my current struggles. I primarily use 9mm, but then the 7.62 ammo builds up just by looting alone, until I have a dozen+ stacks of the stuff. So I have to consider, how/when do I use it? A very... interesting predicament at times. 😛

I keep 2 M60s on my belt on Horde Night and use them during heavy fighting and reload them during pauses. I typically go: Junk Turret, Sledge, First Aid, Nail Gun, M60, M60, SMG, Shotgun for slots horde night. The M60s pretty much only come out to mow down red button derps. SMG and Shotgun interchangably when I'm down on stamina.

2 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Ah I forgot about the SMG honestly, never really use it since Junk Turrets / Ak / M60 seem to fill the same role better, I need to test it again. It's in an interesting spot, where does it even fit on the weapon tier? I always put it as the Tier 3 Pistol, but now that we have Desert Eagle . . .

9mm -> Magnum -> Desert Eagle

Ak47 -> Assault Rifle -> M60

Hunting Rifle -> Marksman Rifle -> Sniper Rifle

SMG -> ?? ->??

It seems to just be kind of out on it's own unless they are making two entirely new SMGs just to fill out the SMG tree, in which case, will it still be effected by pistol perks?

9MM -> Magnum -> Desert Eagle / SMG

That's how TFP have declared it anyway.

13 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

It's the fully automatic alternative for the agility build. It can be described as an upgraded pistol really. (Yes, I am aware they are not in the same family. I'm not getting into the technicalities here.) The most recent improvement to it as of late is it now deals the same damage (random stats/item quality aside) as the pistol.

Honestly the two best mod combos for the SMG are rod and spring mod + foregrip mod + drum mag mod + other, or foregrip mod + drum mag mod + trigger group burst mod + other. The latter-most mod assists in accuracy, but it still allows the option of a more specialized form of rapid fire, or single shot.

I like the Rod and Spring + Drum Mag + Foregrip + Retractable Stock variant. Point and mow.

23 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Honestly the two best mod combos for the SMG are rod and spring mod + foregrip mod + drum mag mod + other, or foregrip mod + drum mag mod + trigger group burst mod + other. The latter-most mod assists in accuracy, but it still allows the option of a more specialized form of rapid fire, or single shot.

Prefer Crippler, Rad, Drum & Muzzle myself. I like hitting what I'm aiming at so Rod and Springs is out for me.

7 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Prefer Crippler, Rad, Drum & Muzzle myself. I like hitting what I'm aiming at so Rod and Springs is out for me.

Regen is low enough that I don't put rad removers on my DPS guns. I relegate that task to my Junk Turrets. If something is on the other end of my SMG or M60, they are dead before that second tick of regen procs.

2 hours ago, Roland said:

But what rhymes with "scavenging" when trying to describe A18's gameplay in a critical manner...?

Closest I could come up with was "It's such a scavenging managing game now" but I don't know whether inventory management is as much a hot topic as shooting...

;)  ;)  

That may be true, but you cant deny that MANY ZOMBIES WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS GAME.

Please, just one moment of silence, for those rabid, rotten bags of skin... ... 

1 hour ago, BobbyLee298 said:

I wish TFP wouldn't limit them selfs with the idea of 3 tiers for weapons. IMO this game could use a new gun every alpha update to keep things fresh and just bring more of a selection to the players. 

They are doing so to get the game done, if they add a new weapon each Alpha we will never see it go gold.

Some weapons could use a buff like the Magnum as mentioned above, as due to its problems I never use it.

I scrap the ammo and sell the gun.

What I would like to see come back is that zombies can smell the food your carrying make a comeback that would be awesome.

Archived