madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, FranticDan said:

I think our backpack should be 6x10. You start with 25-30 open slots. This will make pack mule a viable perk to take again to help max out your inventory when you conbine the pocket mods :)

I'm really hoping the more "focused" perks in A19 makes a lot of perks viable that are currently  in the "Why would I ever pick this when an item / schematic does the same thing" tier.

I get that they were trying to make it so the ADHD run and gun kids could craft stuff without investing in crafting perks . . .but then even crafters don't invest in those perks either because they are just wasted perk points that are better going elsewhere.  I hate the feeling of feeling like I've wasted points on perks that just don't scale well into mid or late game, but ATM there are quite a few

The perks that can be gotten via schematic or mod slot need to be buffed to actually have something useful that's worth picking on it's own. Slightly faster crafting speeds just aren't worth wasting perk points on when you can just find a schematic instead and spend that perk on something more useful. The vehicle perks are like wise screwed up by the alternative / better ways to get vehicles. There's no reason to ever waste perk points on them, and if you do, you just craft your vehicle then go buy a respec elixir and get your points back and put them somewhere more useful.

Pack Mule, Gardening perks (past the first one), like 85% of the int tree etc are just completely pointless noob traps at the moment

38 minutes ago, Annihilatorza said:

Am I the only one that strips the building down to the frames :) 

If its bolted down I unbolt it, If I can move it, it gets move.

I take everything that is of value. 

That is why I want a huuuuuge amount of storage.

In Fallout 4 I run a no weight mod.

Same here. I'm over encumbered 24/7 because I will auger or wrench down entire buildings and loot every single container, y'know, like you would in a survival situation

My biggest want for the storage system is the ability to link your storage boxes to your crafting table. There's a mod that does that in basically every single game that has crafting, because for some unknowable reason, that basic feature isn't in a ton of games. It's just basic QoL where your crafting benches can use materials from storage boxes within X radius of them so you don't constantly have to turn around and dig through your box to get duct tape then turn back around and build something then turn around and put it back etc. 

Doesn't make things easier or harder, just less tedious

Edited by Khalagar (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I just wish inventory slots from mods were actually added to the available inventory.  The slots existing and then opening up to not influence encumbrance as you improve your character makes sense to me. The same effect when adding a pocket does not.

Edited by AtomicUs5000 (see edit history)

26 minutes ago, Annihilatorza said:

Oh I wrench so many things that I get a full inventory quite fast. I love doing the hospital, I can get it done in under an hour whilst wrenching the tvs, beds, and such, I don't both much with the lights since there's so many of them

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Annihilatorza said:

Early game the wife and I gut the POIs we're scavenging in, later on we don't bother as much since we have a fairly large stockpile of components back at base.

38 minutes ago, FranticDan said:

Oh I wrench so many things that I get a full inventory quite fast. I love doing the hospital, I can get it done in under an hour whilst wrenching the tvs, beds, and such, I don't both much with the lights since there's so many of them

honestly that's my Favored Pass time in-game is scraping!  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Khalagar said:

It's just basic QoL where your crafting benches can use materials from storage boxes within X radius of them so you don't constantly have to turn around and dig through your box to get duct tape then turn back around and build something then turn around and put it back etc. 

Doesn't make things easier or harder, just less tedious

Oh it definitely makes things easier.  When playing on hard settings, dead is dead, and no cheese bases.. the most important commodity in the game is time.   If I can complete crafting tasks quicker by not worrying about having the mats on me it will free up time to gather more mats, set up more defenses, etc.

Edited by SnowDog1942 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I don't know if only TFP know this or if anyone from internal testing can answer my question, but I'll ask anyway.

The new A19 Junk Drone will be the first (and only) "NPC" that will be able to follow us around.

So, I'm curious, did anyone test if it's possible for it to follow someone driving a vehicle? :-]

If the answer is yes, then IMO it'd be an additional viable alternative as a storage thing when coming back from a loot run.

I have no idea how slow/fast it'll be, but I guess one will need to slow down to wait for it to catch up.

1 hour ago, MajorMunchy said:

I suppose. I've jsut played with people that add so many storage mods or QoL mods

I enjoy some inventory management, and use 60 slot backpack. The larger ones I don't enjoy as they remove management.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Dethar said:

I enjoy some inventory management, and use 60 slot backpack. The larger ones I don't enjoy as they remove management.

Agreed.  Also, larger backpacks also diminish the storage space that is granted by vehicles.  It all boils down to time management in preparation for the next blood moon.  

On 6/1/2020 at 11:18 AM, Damocles said:

How about cutting the texture resolution of all zombies by half, and adding 4 times as many (including old models) zombies into the game.

The enemy variety is really repetitive. And if you have the old artwork, why not use it. Its not that players observe zombies up close anyways.

(my grammar is lacking)

You cannot raise the quality bar by not using the recycle bin. The difference is night and day. All zombies should look like the same artist made them and they come from the same game, not 3-4 games by various artists. Should we resurrect the 300 polygon potato zombies from pre alpha 1 just to have more variety? No they look ridiculous next to the 20000 polygon new ones.

18 hours ago, Guppycur said:

Well, until right after an alpha release, then madmole will give out a date for the next one. :)

/He can't stop, I'm sure Roland has tried 

That is what I get for trying to be transparent.

4 hours ago, beHypE said:

In my experience, the best way to have everything you need is to keep it in your vehicule (splints, first aid kits, honey are my 3 go-to's).

Would be nice if the First Aid Kit was a more unique / mid game item, that would serve the purpose of storing say 1 splint, 5 first aid bandages, some pills etc ... instead of being just a glorified bandage. Especially with the new ISS.

That and a sewing kit are the only things that get rid of deep laceration.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, madmole said:

You cannot raise the quality bar by not using the recycle bin. The difference is night and day. All zombies should look like the same artist made them and they come from the same game, not 3-4 games by various artists. Should we resurrect the 300 polygon potato zombies from pre alpha 1 just to have more variety? No they look ridiculous next to the 20000 polygon new ones.

You could have those old potato zombies have a chance to pop out of your potato crops....just sayin ;)

20 minutes ago, madmole said:

That is what I get for trying to be a trans-parent.

Damn, you're more progressive than I thought! 😆

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, madmole said:

That and a sewing kit are the only things that get rid of deep laceration.

so how deep does this new injury system go?

can you get Burns? Cramps? bruises? Sickness???

or is it just like. "you have a injury heal with *Random item*" 

Posted (edited)

Can we expect new special zombies and more variations in A20 or in future? Also i think we lack of powerful female zombies, we only have the screamer and its easy to end her. The fat female gives poor exp, same as a crawling zombie, shame.

I know a lot of players want new weapons or whatever for pvp, but remember, this is a survival crafting ZOMBIE game. Most of us want the terrific zombies to enjoy

Edited by zWolfer (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

honestly that's my Favored Pass time in-game is scraping!  

I agree!

If your not hording like some rabid kleptomaniac... you're not doing right!  :)

I get a little nervous when I only have ten times what I will ever need in one play through.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, zWolfer said:

Can we expect new special zombies and more variations in A20 or in future? Also i think we lack of powerful female zombies, we only have the screamer and its easy to end her. The fat female gives poor exp, same as a crawling zombie, shame.

I know a lot of players want new weapons or whatever for pvp, but remember, this is a survival crafting ZOMBIE game. Most of us want the terrific zombies to enjoy

Naaa id rather ONE zombie in the game that looks really really REALLY good and uses 3 billion polygons. ;)

10 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Naaa id rather ONE zombie in the game that looks really really REALLY good and uses 3 billion polygons. ;)

lol no thanks, i want a lot of zombies

Could we maybe have a toggle option for aiming down?

The amounts of times i messed up because after reloading it's automaticly aiming again is just straightout silly. I'm not saying holding right mouse button should be mandatory but a toggle option so people can choose how to aim would be perfect! Any plans for it for Alpha 19 ?

1 hour ago, zWolfer said:

You see the new big mama?....she gonna come eat you good....😅

1 hour ago, Aldranon said:

I agree!

If your not hording like some rabid kleptomaniac... you're not doing right!  :)

I get a little nervous when I only have ten times what I will ever need in one play through.

The current inventory management is pretty balanced in my opinion for the new / average player (default settings).  Gotta keep that blood moon tension on or game turns into Sims 4 with zombies in it.  😅

Not a bad game mode but not the vanilla game the devs are making...😅

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Annihilatorza said:

With the new ISS system, and it taking specific items to heal you.

Will be getting a bigger backpack or will we have to make due with what we have now?

I am forever throwing down boxes to store stuff when I am looting lol.

You will have to make due. We've done a little bit of loot cleanup like removing harvest items from loot. There is no point in finding 3 coal in chemical loot when you can get 1000's in seconds mining. So a bit less useless looting should help a tad bit in the backpack space situation.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, zWolfer said:

lol no thanks, i want a lot of zombies

Just set it to horde night, every night and just to be sure, on nightmare and largest count of spawns possible. I`ll do that on my base anyway, but when A19 is out.

Destruction party before new alpha rocks ! 

2 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Will the same happen to lead? (Lead trophies, fishing weights, raw lead, etc.)

They are needed in early game. 

1 minute ago, beerfly said:

They are needed in early game. 

Depends on the player. I mine all the time to pass time at night. Even early game. Take a torch and my stone Axe and go to town. But to a player who doesn't enjoy mining yes they are. But I think MM ment like coal, nitrate, wood things like that.