Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

2 hours ago, Tin said:

1) How is it an issue when the trader and prefab can respawn.

2) Could sworn that they have multiple times have stated they were not concerned with PvP till the game was gold.

edit: or near gold.

While true he said they might give pvp some love later. I dont believe he would do something to break pvp. Like I replied to someone asking for lock pickable doors, he mentioned it would be bad for pvp.

1 hour ago, Dethar said:

While true he said they might give pvp some love later. I dont believe he would do something to break pvp. Like I replied to someone asking for lock pickable doors, he mentioned it would be bad for pvp.

I with ya in parts, that they may have had a reason(s). 

I just don't think PvP would be valid anymore, if it was one of the reasons. At least, not with the mechanics they already have in place.

Really no different to what can already be done in PvP games, to control trader outposts already. 

1 hour ago, Tin said:

I with ya in parts, that they may have had a reason(s). 

I just don't think PvP would be valid anymore, if it was one of the reasons. At least, not with the mechanics they already have in place.

Really no different to what can already be done in PvP games, to control trader outposts already. 

I totally agree with you, was just answering your question from what I remember. 

I have not played and enjoyed pvp since the early days. Doom, Decent, and little Quake. To me when it became public pvp and not just bunch of my friends changed it for me.

Reading Conan forums, griefers have totally ruined official pvp servers. While it shouldn't affect 7D2D as much since they dont have official servers, it still could affect them. 

So again I personally don't care about what happens to pvp.

4 hours ago, Ranzera said:

Wrong again.

Bandits aren't going to wait for people walk by in an apocalypse. You can't keep a crew of bandits fed that way. Y'all are silly. "Well gosh, no saps have walked by the last few days. I guess we'll just sit here and starve. *pout*" - TFP Forum posters, attempting to be bandits.

No. Not waiting and instead searching is called hunting. Normal people hunt deer. Bandits hunt people. Unless there are too few people left to hunt. I assume with the White River and The Duke backstory and traders it is obvious that there are supposed to be lots of other survivers running around. 

15 hours ago, Damocles said:

How about cutting the texture resolution of all zombies by half, and adding 4 times as many (including old models) zombies into the game.

The enemy variety is really repetitive. And if you have the old artwork, why not use it. Its not that players observe zombies up close anyways.

(my grammar is lacking)

Or, just adding way more without cutting texture by half. The game runs fine with more zombies (tested via backstreet boys reunion tour).  

15 minutes ago, hotpoon said:

Or, just adding way more without cutting texture by half. The game runs fine with more zombies (tested via backstreet boys reunion tour).  

Unless you have 20 machines of varying performance at home, or run a QA department, I suppose your metrics are specific for your personal setup.

3 hours ago, Dethar said:

I totally agree with you, was just answering your question from what I remember. 

I have not played and enjoyed pvp since the early days. Doom, Decent, and little Quake. To me when it became public pvp and not just bunch of my friends changed it for me.

Reading Conan forums, griefers have totally ruined official pvp servers. While it shouldn't affect 7D2D as much since they dont have official servers, it still could affect them. 

So again I personally don't care about what happens to pvp.

The beauty of PvP in games like Quake is that no one cries if you kill them because that's the whole point.  In survival games people can go the extra mile and steal your stuff, trash your base, kill your dinosaurs (Ark), etc. So when someone has invested a lot of time in some PvE aspect, and has it trashed by a player, that's when emotions start flaring.  And that's why different server types (PvE, PvP, PvPvE) are so important.  Personally I like PvPvE, where it's PvE most of the time with a small window for PvP.  After all some of us have jobs and can't defend our bases 24/7 from layabouts who game all day.

Just now, Damocles said:

Unless you have 20 machines of varying performance at home, or run a QA department, I suppose your metrics are specific for your personal setup.

I have an ok rig. Nothing fancy, and it runs the game well. 
When last were the min/recommended specs updated though? This isn't the same game as it was years ago and people shouldn't expect great performance when they are running on potatoes.

10 minutes ago, Annihilatorza said:

With the new ISS system, and it taking specific items to heal you.

Will be getting a bigger backpack or will we have to make due with what we have now?

I am forever throwing down boxes to store stuff when I am looting lol.

I think our backpack should be 6x10. You start with 25-30 open slots. This will make pack mule a viable perk to take again to help max out your inventory when you conbine the pocket mods :)

In my experience, the best way to have everything you need is to keep it in your vehicule (splints, first aid kits, honey are my 3 go-to's).

Would be nice if the First Aid Kit was a more unique / mid game item, that would serve the purpose of storing say 1 splint, 5 first aid bandages, some pills etc ... instead of being just a glorified bandage. Especially with the new ISS.

1 hour ago, FranticDan said:

I think our backpack should be 6x10. You start with 25-30 open slots. This will make pack mule a viable perk to take again to help max out your inventory when you conbine the pocket mods :)

I dont get people that want so much backpack space. we are already able to fit metric S#*& tons of cement blocks in there. It makes the game too "cheap" feeling. If backpack space was huge then we woudl eventually want one crate that can store 1000 slots. It gets to a point where the game is just

the non-sense life of a box boy in the back of walmart, just endlessly stacking.....and stacking........and stacking.........AND STACKING..............

27 minutes ago, MajorMunchy said:

I dont get people that want so much backpack space. we are already able to fit metric S#*& tons of cement blocks in there. It makes the game too "cheap" feeling. If backpack space was huge then we woudl eventually want one crate that can store 1000 slots. It gets to a point where the game is just

the non-sense life of a box boy in the back of walmart, just endlessly stacking.....and stacking........and stacking.........AND STACKING..............

2 reasons I can think of.

1) Hoarders who dont care for an inventory management challenge (survival element)

2) Use mods that add a ton more items (e.g. crafting components)

@madmole I hope these issues are corrected in A19:

Silencers not working as should, they still wake up zeds and players can hear them the same distance.  The only thing they do is give a different sound.

LCB + secure chest (wood one) give an additional defense modifier.  Where the storage chest and even gun safes do not.  It makes sense to disable this, or give the additional defense to the more expensive containers. 

Keep up the good work! 

Well, we will have the Drone which will have an inventory that will follow us around, so there is that at least.
As new items are introduced, it will mean more items that will take up slots.
In my opinion, the pack mule perk is completely redundant since you can max out your inventory with pockets.

By late game I need more and more storage boxes from all the loot runs I go on, having 15+ boxes for each type of category.

57 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

1) Hoarders who dont care for an inventory management challenge (survival element)

I suppose. I've jsut played with people that add so many storage mods or QoL mods that make the game way too easy/relaxign in a sense im like "why arnt we just playign minecraft or something"

26 minutes ago, FranticDan said:

Well, we will have the Drone which will have an inventory that will follow us around, so there is that at least.
As new items are introduced, it will mean more items that will take up slots.
In my opinion, the pack mule perk is completely redundant since you can max out your inventory with pockets.

By late game I need more and more storage boxes from all the loot runs I go on, having 15+ boxes for each type of category.

Maybe pack mule shoudl add 1-2 rows of storage instead? and make a different perk reduce encumberance?

Just now, MajorMunchy said:

I suppose. I've jsut played with people that add so many storage mods or QoL mods that make the game way too easy/relaxign in a sense im like "why arnt we just playign minecraft or something"

There are actually quite a number of minecraft players who play the game.  If minecraft had better graphics (not just HD texture mods), most of them would probably still be over there playing it. 😄  

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

Am I the only one that strips the building down to the frames :) 

If its bolted down I unbolt it, If I can move it, it gets move.

I take everything that is of value. 

That is why I want a huuuuuge amount of storage.

In Fallout 4 I run a no weight mod.

3 hours ago, FranticDan said:

I'm really hoping the more "focused" perks in A19 makes a lot of perks viable that are currently  in the "Why would I ever pick this when an item / schematic does the same thing" tier.

I get that they were trying to make it so the ADHD run and gun kids could craft stuff without investing in crafting perks . . .but then even crafters don't invest in those perks either because they are just wasted perk points that are better going elsewhere.  I hate the feeling of feeling like I've wasted points on perks that just don't scale well into mid or late game, but ATM there are quite a few

The perks that can be gotten via schematic or mod slot need to be buffed to actually have something useful that's worth picking on it's own. Slightly faster crafting speeds just aren't worth wasting perk points on when you can just find a schematic instead and spend that perk on something more useful. The vehicle perks are like wise screwed up by the alternative / better ways to get vehicles. There's no reason to ever waste perk points on them, and if you do, you just craft your vehicle then go buy a respec elixir and get your points back and put them somewhere more useful.

Pack Mule, Gardening perks (past the first one), like 85% of the int tree etc are just completely pointless noob traps at the moment

38 minutes ago, Annihilatorza said:

Am I the only one that strips the building down to the frames :) 

If its bolted down I unbolt it, If I can move it, it gets move.

I take everything that is of value. 

That is why I want a huuuuuge amount of storage.

In Fallout 4 I run a no weight mod.

Same here. I'm over encumbered 24/7 because I will auger or wrench down entire buildings and loot every single container, y'know, like you would in a survival situation

My biggest want for the storage system is the ability to link your storage boxes to your crafting table. There's a mod that does that in basically every single game that has crafting, because for some unknowable reason, that basic feature isn't in a ton of games. It's just basic QoL where your crafting benches can use materials from storage boxes within X radius of them so you don't constantly have to turn around and dig through your box to get duct tape then turn back around and build something then turn around and put it back etc. 

Doesn't make things easier or harder, just less tedious

Archived