Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

2 hours ago, CholulaSouls said:

Madmole, what is the most effective way to level in A18? How will this strategy in A19? also, I'm absolutely loving the new weapon models. Rip iron reinforced club.

I'm not sure, I'm no min maxer. I just like to keep busy. I kill almost every zombie I see, loot every trash bag then I chop up the sack for paper/plastic (if being a shotgun build), I mine at night, keep building. I think building is a really fast way to level, but only after you've got some perks so you can get a lot of mats. I keep working on my base and add on a bit every week or two. Stop, adding on and get that upgraded, etc. Once I get a motorized vehicle I start harvesting cars for fuel and parts I'll need for vault doors and traps. Leveling up means zombies get harder too, so I don't really try to power level, but I don't mind leveling up either because I get perks.

1 hour ago, Blake_ said:

I like what I hear.

Also, can you tell us if it's been any changes to the " radial saw machine workbench thingy " in a19?  And , can we expect some new stuff regarding block shapes, building , paint textures ....etc ?

Table saw is no longer a thing, you can find them in POIs but they are just a decoration you can harvest for some parts, no longer a workstation. No new shapes nor paint afaik, but lots of textures have been upgraded.

5 minutes ago, madmole said:

I'm not sure, I'm no min maxer. I just like to keep busy. I kill almost every zombie I see, loot every trash bag then I chop up the sack for paper/plastic (if being a shotgun build), I mine at night, keep building. I think building is a really fast way to level, but only after you've got some perks so you can get a lot of mats. I keep working on my base and add on a bit every week or two. Stop, adding on and get that upgraded, etc. Once I get a motorized vehicle I start harvesting cars for fuel and parts I'll need for vault doors and traps. Leveling up means zombies get harder too, so I don't really try to power level, but I don't mind leveling up either because I get perks.

Table saw is no longer a thing, you can find them in POIs but they are just a decoration you can harvest for some parts, no longer a workstation. No new shapes nor paint afaik, but lots of textures have been upgraded.

No new paint 😭😭😭😭 the current paint selection is meh at best. But that's OK because A19 sounds awesome w/o new paints

5 hours ago, madmole said:

Noone is happy with the sound system yet. All we have is distance fading, no occlusion. This gives me an idea though.

Is there a way to add distance fading to modlet object sounds? I'd really like the line of code to add to a video we added on one of the TV modlets, and kind of poked through the XML's but haven't found it yet.

17 minutes ago, madmole said:

Can you add the wedge tip to the "Wooden Frame" optacle then, if you haven't already? :)

On 12/4/2019 at 9:17 PM, Sigil_Thane said:

I see Zombie dogs have been added to the burnt forest in 18.2...

How about "Hell Hounds" that are essentially a mix between Burn Victims and Zombie Dogs... Fast, and can set you on fire.

Hey, this has been hiding in this thread on page 13... I still think it could be cool (and terrifying) to watch a Hellhound horde rushing your outpost by at night.

1 minute ago, Worrun said:

Can you add the wedge tip to the "Wooden Frame" optacle then, if you haven't already? :)

Yes, that one I needed right at the moment I started doing the fancy stuff and even not so fancy stuff.

Actually I would like for wood frames to have EVERY shape. Rebar ones too. Right now shapes are missing in concrete forcing players to upgrade and dry . While that might be a progression thing ,  as of right now, it's very inconsistent and arbitrarily made.

9 hours ago, Marinxar said:

...You should always do headshots. Regardless of weapon. Saves lives, time, ammo....

As for the balance debate, well, you basically affirmed what I said, if you need to carry 2 shotguns in the belt to compensate.

Headshots, in general yes. I was mainly refering to 'Oh @%$*#!' situations where a sure hit can often be more important than a headshot (because of the push-back). And if you are moving and shooting at the same time hitting a twitchy steve zombie (EDIT: in the head I mean) is also exceptionally difficult.

2 shotguns: Not to compensate. I had the second shotgun with me for emergencies, but I used it very seldom. In a way the second shotty is like the AK I still run around with as agi player (until I have an MP5), but the AK gets used less often (because the pistol can compensate easier if you make silly mistakes like having an empty magazine). But as long as you have ammo in your shotgun, you simply remove anything in your way with a lot less circumstances than with a pistol

If you don't mind ammo consumption, then yes, the pistol can kill faster than the same tier shotgun. But if ammo consumption doesn't matter neither pistol nor shotgun matter at all in the presence of an AK

1 hour ago, Operator_Death said:

No new paint 😭😭😭😭 the current paint selection is meh at best. But that's OK because A19 sounds awesome w/o new paints

I might be a minority, but I feel like 2% of the users paint. Paint cannot stream and also has a finite limit so we're kind of limited there. I don't think its meh the world builders have used it to create the entire game and it looks great. It might be meh if you think your base needs to look all perfect and brand new or something. It is unlikely we will add anything like that due to the fact that we wouldn't use those materials ourselves so it would be waste of atlas space for a 2% er feature.

1 hour ago, Ti2xGr said:

Is there a way to add distance fading to modlet object sounds? I'd really like the line of code to add to a video we added on one of the TV modlets, and kind of poked through the XML's but haven't found it yet.

Mod discussion is not allowed here.

1 hour ago, Sigil_Thane said:

Hey, this has been hiding in this thread on page 13... I still think it could be cool (and terrifying) to watch a Hellhound horde rushing your outpost by at night.

And it belongs in pimp dreams. Maybe we can make zombie dogs that are burnt and on fire in the burnt forest on the gold push.

38 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Headshots, in general yes. I was mainly refering to 'Oh @%$*#!' situations where a sure hit can often be more important than a headshot (because of the push-back). And if you are moving and shooting at the same time hitting a twitchy steve zombie is also exceptionally difficult.

2 shotguns: Not to compensate. I had the second shotgun with me for emergencies, but I used it very seldom. In a way the second shotty is like the AK I still run around with as agi player (until I have an MP5), but the AK gets used less often (because the pistol can compensate easier if you make silly mistakes like having an empty magazine). But as long as you have ammo in your shotgun, you simply remove anything in your way with a lot less circumstances than with a pistol

If you don't mind ammo consumption, then yes, the pistol can kill faster than the same tier shotgun. But if ammo consumption doesn't matter neither pistol nor shotgun matter at all in the presence of an AK

Ak's are nerfed hard to make room for the new assault rifle. I used one in my first play through when it was still like A18 and I was an int character and I didn't even need any perks, the blue ak I found destroyed anything easily. I'm glad we have changed it. A, you won't find a blue AK for ages, and B, its going to be a POS compared to what it once was. Specialization is the key.

Is there a video or even a picture of the Junk Sledge somewhere I've not seen? Am I understanding it right that there will be a Junk Sledge Melee turret, Junk Turret, and then the top tier version is the Junk Drone? Basically the Tier 1 / Tier 2 / Tier 3 set up like other weapon types have? I've been struggling to find info on the Drone and Junk Sledge

Can you use 2 of each all at once? I LOVE summoners in other games, so a build where I can have an army of turret minions sounds absolutely fantastic, throw some melee turrets out front, with junk turret back up, while drones provide air support, while I do Important Summoner Things™ like organize my inventory and pick up loot sounds like my ideal dream playstyle.  People hate on the AFK loot ninja, but it's so much fun IMO, just something about having my army of minions do the fighting for me while I work on improving them and keeping them in fighting shape. Guess I'm a support main at heart

8 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Is there a video or even a picture of the Junk Sledge somewhere I've not seen? Am I understanding it right that there will be a Junk Sledge Melee turret, Junk Turret, and then the top tier version is the Junk Drone? Basically the Tier 1 / Tier 2 / Tier 3 set up like other weapon types have? I've been struggling to find info on the Drone and Junk Sledge

Can you use 2 of each all at once? I LOVE summoners in other games, so a build where I can have an army of turret minions sounds absolutely fantastic, throw some melee turrets out front, with junk turret back up, while drones provide air support, while I do Important Summoner Things™ like organize my inventory and pick up loot sounds like my ideal dream playstyle.  People hate on the AFK loot ninja, but it's so much fun IMO, just something about having my army of minions do the fighting for me while I work on improving them and keeping them in fighting shape. Guess I'm a support main at heart

No, there is not a video, and to the other assumptions : yes, yes, yes yes, yes yes, yesyesyes and yes. Do you have any other questions? :hippie:

Aw yiss yiss yiss yiss and yiss. Assuming you aren't pulling my leg, in which case, shame on you for getting my hopes up and then dashing them thoroughly

So most Tier 1 and Tier 2 are not great late game because their damage can't compare to the other Tier 3s. Currently, Junk Turrets are one of the best weapons in the game IMO when you have two decked out in mods, are they being changed to not already be on par with the new Tier 3s? Or is the logic that they are fine, because it takes 2 to equal an m60. (Dun nerf muh turrets pl0x)

Or rather, are Junk Sledge and Junk Turret still going to be pretty viable for late game? Or are they going to be fairly outclassed like if you were trying to use a Tier 1 weapon like a  Stone Sledge late game instead of a Tier 3 like the Steel Sledge

23 minutes ago, madmole said:

A, you won't find a blue AK for ages, and B, its going to be a POS compared to what it once was. Specialization is the key.

I'm sorry, but this doesn't sound good. If it's going to be a POS, why make it hard to find for ages then? Do players seriously need to buy all the gun perks for their guns to do any meaningful damage at all? Just as I thought we were getting out of the BB gun era... 

29 minutes ago, madmole said:

I might be a minority, but I feel like 2% of the users paint. Paint cannot stream and also has a finite limit so we're kind of limited there. I don't think its meh the world builders have used it to create the entire game and it looks great. It might be meh if you think your base needs to look all perfect and brand new or something. It is unlikely we will add anything like that due to the fact that we wouldn't use those materials ourselves so it would be waste of atlas space for a 2% er feature.

Mod discussion is not allowed here.

And it belongs in pimp dreams. Maybe we can make zombie dogs that are burnt and on fire in the burnt forest on the gold push.

Ak's are nerfed hard to make room for the new assault rifle. I used one in my first play through when it was still like A18 and I was an int character and I didn't even need any perks, the blue ak I found destroyed anything easily. I'm glad we have changed it. A, you won't find a blue AK for ages, and B, its going to be a POS compared to what it once was. Specialization is the key.

@madmole I was in now way serious.. I only use paint on storage containers. I was mocking the people who ignore everything you say is coming and focus on little thing. My bad. 

2 hours ago, Khalagar said:

Aw yiss yiss yiss yiss and yiss. Assuming you aren't pulling my leg, in which case, shame on you for getting my hopes up and then dashing them thoroughly

So most Tier 1 and Tier 2 are not great late game because their damage can't compare to the other Tier 3s. Currently, Junk Turrets are one of the best weapons in the game IMO when you have two decked out in mods, are they being changed to not already be on par with the new Tier 3s? Or is the logic that they are fine, because it takes 2 to equal an m60. (Dun nerf muh turrets pl0x)

Or rather, are Junk Sledge and Junk Turret still going to be pretty viable for late game? Or are they going to be fairly outclassed like if you were trying to use a Tier 1 weapon like a  Stone Sledge late game instead of a Tier 3 like the Steel Sledge

Junk sledge > junk turret > junk drone....however, unlike guns, there use has different applications.

Speaking of the AK47, are you planning on pulling the camera back a bit for the sight view in A19?

Right now it zooms right into the sight and it feels really odd. Kinda like the image below if you'll excuse my 4-5 minute PS attempt.

7daysak47.jpg

2 hours ago, Xtrakicking said:

I'm sorry, but this doesn't sound good. If it's going to be a POS, why make it hard to find for ages then? Do players seriously need to buy all the gun perks for their guns to do any meaningful damage at all? Just as I thought we were getting out of the BB gun era... 

It was a figure of speech.  I'm sure they are still decent but not as strong as in A18 since they squeezed in the new rifle perhaps.

17 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Junk sledge > junk turret > junk drone....however, unlike guns, there use has different applications.

Yeah, the different applications but also hierarchical is what has me confused.

Junk Sledge is your early game "Junk weapon" and is also your melee weapon, but if it's your early game weapon . . .will it somehow scale to end game? I'm just worried that end game you will basically just use Junk Drone and the first two will be too weak to care about. I like the "All 3 are viable and useful late game, they cover 3 different niches" approach. Basically, I am hoping Junk Sledge is still relevant with perks and is comparable to say, a Steel Sledge or the other melee weapons, and isn't just an early game primitive weapon you just trash and never use again, like how you would never use a Blunderbuss or wooden club late game

Usually my go to end game melee weapon of choice is the trusty and under rated Fire Axe, so as long as the Junk Sledge stays on par with a Miner 69 backed Fire Axe I'm happy!

6 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Junk Sledge is your early game "Junk weapon" and is also your melee weapon, but if it's your early game weapon . . .will it somehow scale to end game? I'm just worried that end game you will basically just use Junk Drone and the first two will be too weak to care about. I like the "All 3 are viable and useful late game, they cover 3 different niches" approach. Basically, I am hoping Junk Sledge is still relevant with perks and is comparable to say, a Steel Sledge or the other melee weapons, and isn't just an early game primitive weapon you just trash and never use again, like how you would never use a Blunderbuss or wooden club late game

Usually my go to end game melee weapon of choice is the trusty and under rated Fire Axe, so as long as the Junk Sledge stays on par with a Miner 69 backed Fire Axe I'm happy!

Never thought of the new junk sledge as something for mining.  That does sound interesting though.  It looks more like a deployable junk turret without the ammo consumption but with a significantly shorter range for obvious reasons (melee vs projectile).

Regarding the drone, it will be interesting to learn what it's best application will be.

11 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Yes, this. On a side note I kinda like the sound of the Junk sledge, turret and drone tiers.

Why? Because each one of them is good in its own right. I fear some weapons might become redundant (ak, shotgun) due to the new awesome ones taking the 3rd tier. The rest , except the weakarse            "not-enough-charges Mr Mcbaton " are ok. 

3 hours ago, madmole said:

Does this mean that if you paint everything around you you are shooting yourself in the foot as far as frame rate and game performance?

Fair enough. 

27 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Yes, this. On a side note I kinda like the sound of the Junk sledge, turret and drone tiers.

Why? Because each one of them is good in its own right. I fear some weapons might become redundant (ak, shotgun) due to the new awesome ones taking the 3rd tier. The rest , except the weakarse            "not-enough-charges Mr Mcbaton " are ok. 

Even if the stun baton isnt as good a melee wpn as some of the melee weapons in other trees I think it's fine.  Their junk inventions make the INT tree extremely versatile so it's not a bad trade off.

Archived