madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

Just now, Trankitas said:

The sound in general, zombies being heard at 1 block away inside a bunker

eh. if the sound was a bit more faded that would be nice, know if i could change it i would change zombie sounds into something more scary/animistic. JUST LIKE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD!

but if they just added a Fading sound like say. your running away from zombies they would get lower and lower in terms of volume  

Just now, Adam the Waster said:

eh. if the sound was a bit more faded that would be nice, know if i could change it i would change zombie sounds into something more scary/animistic. JUST LIKE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD!

but if they just added a Fading sound like say. your running away from zombies they would get lower and lower in terms of volume  

The real solution would be sound occlusion, btw you should check those voices in your head with a psychiatrist some day.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Trankitas said:

The real solution would be sound occlusion, btw you should check those voices in your head with a psychiatrist some day.

but his name is james!

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

Zombies (also Dogs) should randomly make no sound at all. This will make the player never trust to hear them in time approaching.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Damocles said:

Zombies (also Dogs) should randomly make no sound at all. This will make the player never trust to hear them in time approaching.

ah....they do that now... damn ninja mutts and their masters :(

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

Speaking of sound, did anyone else get that weird bug in A18 where you could hear another player hitting an iron node from like 300 meters away, and it sounded like you were right beside it? My poor friend I play coop with. I'm a hardcore miner, so he basically had  to hide across the map or else hear me tinking on metal 24/7

Posted (edited)

Ok, I am ready.  Put me in Coach!

I had held off playing and then decided to start a new A18 to have it fresh to see how big the difference is in A19.

Edited by Nastastu (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

ah....they do that now... damn ninja mutts and their masters :(

True, they never catch me off guard tho, I can't ear anything normally so I never trust my hearing

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Damocles said:

Dogs I could see, maybe, stalking their prey and all.. but footsteps are a thing.. otherwise that would make the zombies "smart" (trying to be all steathful like) and we all know zombies are rageful murderers

Edited by Syrex (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

I could have sworn that the guy mentioning their issues with the games sounds was focused on how far away and what the sounds could be heard through (I.E. non-horde night zombies or wolves noticing player footsteps or the rustle of trash piles through multiple layers of stone and concrete while the player is several meters from the closest direct access to the outside) and not sneaky enemies. The sound system in game seems to be a proximity sphere that ignores the blocks between the point where the sound is generated and where the player or enemy (Zombie or animal) that "hears" it is. There is already distance fade (on the player end with entity generated sounds at least, not sure about the zombie/animal end and player generated to player hearing seems to be hit and miss sometimes) thankfully.

Edited by hiemfire (see edit history)

11 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Given its short range, I guess we'll be fighting zombies on ground level for the first horde or two. 😛

It works fine on my typical tower standing on bars. I tend to let them cluster so any stray pellets hit stuff.

2 hours ago, madmole said:

I level really fast. I am level 30 by day 14, most people level one level a day so are about level 14. I got my shotgun from questing and a blunderbuss in loot. Like I said traders don't follow the new progression they are like they always were. We can address that in a future alpha, but even for Tier 4's I'm getting green T1's so I don't see a huge problem.

In my current series, I have just hit day 14 and I am also level 30, although I did spend the last two in game days just building and mining.

I am really excited to see the new progression system, I currently have tier 4 tools and a level 2 AK which I made.

9 hours ago, bloodmoth13 said:

whoosh? was joking about its short range and how useless aim down sight is with it since it doesnt practically do anything for accuracy, and since the reload time is so damn long it would be more practical to just club em with the butt of it.

I think its pretty amazing. It has one shot power with a couple ranks. I made ammo cheaper (2 gp instead of 3) and I'm finding blunderbuss ammo in loot so I'm enjoying it. I don't know for sure but I'm assuming ADS narrows the spread a little so I do it if I have the time. Regardless its quite effective, the key is don't reload it, shoot it, switch to a club and beat the crap out them, or kill one, then club the other, etc. I only use it when things get a little nasty otherwise I use my club most the time. If things get really bad I use my double barrel.

13 hours ago, Marinxar said:

Yup, save all my shotgun ammo for a turret. Never use it. It never felt balanced against the other weapons, with it's ranged penalty. Short range should have been a lot more powerful. Pistol can do a lot more damage in close range, due to it's high rate of fire.

Sorry but this just isn't true. Shotguns are devastating short range. I know they were weak sauce early 18 but Gazz did some changes for 18.x and I never played it until now, but I will say its absolutely nasty. I've got 4 ranks of shotgun perk though so that helps a ton. I can't imagine getting a pump and auto shotgun down the road. I've also reduced the cost of paper it is the same as brass now instead of more expensive which made no sense at all.

1 minute ago, madmole said:

I think its pretty amazing. It has one shot power with a couple ranks. I made ammo cheaper (2 gp instead of 3) and I'm finding blunderbuss ammo in loot so I'm enjoying it. I don't know for sure but I'm assuming ADS narrows the spread a little so I do it if I have the time. Regardless its quite effective, the key is don't reload it, shoot it, switch to a club and beat the crap out them, or kill one, then club the other, etc. I only use it when things get a little nasty otherwise I use my club most the time. If things get really bad I use my double barrel.

Even on Day 14,  I am still using my level 3 bow, level 4 spear and level 3 club as they are still effective.

I had hardly ever used the blunder buss, due to the fact I almost always found a pistol/Shotgun at the same time, so there was never a need to use it.

I only swop to another weapon if I run into something hairy like Shamway foods, that POI kicked my butt.

7 hours ago, meganoth said:

Typical "my weapon is nerfed" discussion. I usually play agility and feel the pistol is underpowered. When I played strength last time I ran around on ground level on horde night because the shotgun was so powerful.

With a pistol I really need to do headshots all the time, even with low-level zombies. I can put a whole magazine into a zombies body and he might still stand. Shotgun? Just point in the general direction and shoot, guaranteed hit and kill with two shots. Disadvantage is you need two double-barrels in your toolbelt (as long as you don't have a combat shotgun) and yes, low range (but that is adjustable with mods, try that with the club 😉)

With perks the reload is pretty damn fast with a double barrel.

My new strategy is to use high tier food for a healthy max stamina buff, chased with black strap coffee for amazing regen and just go nuts with a club.

4 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

how can you forget that? 

imo that may be my favored feature for A19, i always have bad luck finding meds so ill love trader jen! plus gives me a reason to go to other camps  

Because after he sent me to go find Jen I told myself I wouldn't come back there ever but after I cleaned out Jen's food I was desperate and when I got there and he was stacked with food I remembered. Then the @%$*#! had a motorcycle for sale, so I spent 2 days looting everything near him and selling it, and bought two ranks of barter just to have that sweet bike. I'm just loving this strength build so far and the loot rebalance. Since loot isn't raining high quality guns early game I was selling every little thing I could to make some dukes. I even sold all my 762 rounds, I just kept what was in the mag for hunting.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

You can also take out boars by placing wood spikes in front of them. The dumb things just walk into them until they die. ;)

I just kite the things when I need meat that bad, even the Q1 primitive bow can eventually take them down.

@madmole

Since stone age will last longer, have you thought about a stone pick and a dedicated stone repair tool? For consistancy and being able to power attack with the axe?

Seeing as this will be a far more important part of the game now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

This really isn't much of a spoiler, but more of a general question. Given the increased length of the stone age in A19, has the rate at which the player accumulates gamestage (through the various difficulties) been adjusted to compensate, or has it remained the same? (Ex. In A18, ferals appear at gamestage 40, cops/spiders at gamestage 50, soldiers and wights at around gamestage 80, rads by around gamestage 100, and Demolishers begin to appear at gamestage 150+)

Nope. There isn't some long grindy stone age. It actually exists now, but with traders and loot you will have a brown or orange gun and ammo should be conserved for those kinds of situations. I welcome the challenge. I'm playing Nomad with 24 alive on bm, air drops once every 7 days. What the change does more is extend the tier 1 and teir 2 ages considerably and teir 3 won't start dropping until very late game now. Crafting is relevant. As long as you perk you can craft tier 2 guns with rank 4, so you won't be screwed if you specialize. Parts are more abundant too.

4 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

This really isn't much of a spoiler, but more of a general question. Given the increased length of the stone age in A19, has the rate at which the player accumulates gamestage (through the various difficulties) been adjusted to compensate, or has it remained the same? (Ex. In A18, ferals appear at gamestage 40, cops/spiders at gamestage 50, soldiers and wights at around gamestage 80, rads by around gamestage 100, and Demolishers begin to appear at gamestage 150+)

The other thing to consider here is a lot of auxiliary perks went from 5 ranks to 3, so you can have more for your money now too, so the loot had to happen, it was incredibly easy on my first play through. This adjustment was great, it feels a bit harder than 18, but not impossible and a proper carrot on the stick exists now, I've been playing non stop day and night its great. I've uses a q1,2,3,4 and now I just got a q6 blunderbuss. I crafted the T3 the rest I looted.

13 minutes ago, madmole said:

Because after he sent me to go find Jen I told myself I wouldn't come back there ever but after I cleaned out Jen's food I was desperate and when I got there and he was stacked with food I remembered. Then the @%$*#! had a motorcycle for sale, so I spent 2 days looting everything near him and selling it, and bought two ranks of barter just to have that sweet bike. I'm just loving this strength build so far and the loot rebalance. Since loot isn't raining high quality guns early game I was selling every little thing I could to make some dukes. I even sold all my 762 rounds, I just kept what was in the mag for hunting.

That's awesome.  The game needs alot of tough choice moments like that.  The early game is arguably the best part of the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damocles said:

No, we decided ninja cheap deaths weren't good for the game. At least not early game. Maybe down the road when we get some more improvements to pacing.

24 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

And your typical towers are 4-5 blocks above the zombies (where you stand), yes?

Ahh, okay, makes sense.

How did your base work anyway, in your previous world? I didn't look too closely at the images, just at the castle itself.

It worked great they never even breached the original tower which is a 7x7 with bars around it, but I had r concrete and vault doors and 25 grenades that said you aren't getting in bro.

2 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

That's awesome.  The game needs alot of tough choice moments like that.  The early game is arguably the best part of the game.

Mid game is the new early game. Not sure what is next but I'm excited to find out. Level 35 and I'm getting mostly brown and orange t1 tools and weapons.

• Like 5

Madmole, what is the most effective way to level in A18? How will this strategy in A19? also, I'm absolutely loving the new weapon models. Rip iron reinforced club.

18 minutes ago, madmole said:

No, we decided ninja cheap deaths weren't good for the game. At least not early game. Maybe down the road when we get some more improvements to pacing.

Could be a different sound effect. Like just the tapping sound of a running dog, not the growling.

It would be still fair, but less obvious.