madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

Roland

When you download A19 you MUST start a new save. Maps generated in A18 will NOT work for A19 games. 

Head HERE to report bugs.

Message added by Roland

7 hours ago, Blake_ said:

A question : Have you guys touched the secret stash table for a19? 

Right now every level of secret stash (barter perk) is the same for all the players, so if one player buys everything useful in his secret stash and all the players in the server (8 players) have the same level of the Barter perk (for example, level 5 of Barter) only 1 player will buy the things he wants and the rest ends up with nothing.

Result: no ammo, no food, no medicines, or even nothing remotely useful for those 7 players with the same perk benefits, rendering the perk useless for 90% of the people. Also happens with just 2 players.

I understand that traders and vending machines can be exhausted by just 1 guy/gal. But the secret stash should be PERSONAL and different for each player because it's a perk that is directly tied to player effort, choices and progression.

Early bird gets the worm, for now at least.

6 hours ago, Dimpy said:

I'd much rather just be able to craft low-tier mods from the beginning. Gate them behind semi-rare resources, not recipes.

@madmole How strongly does location effect gamestage? Like if I'm at the point where I'm seeing orange pistols in the forest, what would I be seeing in a wastelend city?

The same. Biomes will not increase game or loot until A20.

2 hours ago, Khalagar said:

Pretty sure they said they are taking her out =(

Replacing her with a club girl in a sexy dress so she fits into more than one location.

2 hours ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Faatal/Madmole, can we add a twerk animation for Trader Jen?

Vic, If this happens -- I was responsible for it, not you. remember that.

No but she does flirt a little.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, madmole said:

i can tell you in my tests... she has had her eyes on me lot when i stop by to chat with her. :)

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

i can tell you in my tests... she has had her eyes on me lot when i stop by to chat with her. :)

The bug of the groin closeup is hilarious. I hope they take their time to fix it LOL. 

-Can I see your inventory?

-I've got just the thing for what ails you!

53 minutes ago, madmole said:

You could have Jen add a 10% upcharge over other traders  costs and the flirting would still make it worth while for some. :D

• Haha 1

I have a feeling most will prefer trader jen vs rekt....😂

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

Can her head movement be set to track my package so I can level up my confidence attribute?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Can her head movement be set to track my package so I can level up my confidence attribute?

Already implemented, you have to perk into charismatic nature. 😅

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

You can also take out boars by placing wood spikes in front of them. The dumb things just walk into them until they die. ;)

I do that with boars but bears aggro when you get too close and it takes like 8 spikes lol.  

One thing i would love to see, for fun, the big zombie, i dont know his name but he usually spawns next to the big lady, has anything thought about giving him a butchers apron for say a second spawning skin to add some varience?  just an odd thought.

As far as the difficulty increase for looting and crafting, im wanting more and more. lol

18 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

You sure about that? I watched a boar recently kill itself on my spikes, and I was about 3 blocks away from it. 😛

True, but if you have no guns, it's a good, safe source of meat. 😛

Bears I was referring to. The boar trick though, I've been doing that for ages.  

3 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Bears are passive, trust me. Walk up to one and try to give it a cuddle. ;)

Ok, but if I get anything but hugs and kisses....

1 minute ago, Odetta said:

Ok, but if I get anything but hugs and kisses....

Trust me, that would be the least of your problems. The problem will be if the bear decides to get a lot more physical than that... Translate that however you like. ;)

One of my favorite aspects of the game in recent alphas is how they took the focus off of the player as the center of the universe. You can see a horde and they aren't walking straight at you. Details like this really make you feel part of the world rather than that feeling that the world was created for you.

Here is a small clip of Alpha 19 I was allowed to share. It shows a bit of the new music and there is this point where you can see what I'm talking about where you aren't the focus of the world. You might catch sight of one of the new zombies as well..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Roland said:

One of my favorite aspects of the game in recent alphas is how they took the focus off of the player as the center of the universe. You can see a horde and they aren't walking straight at you. Details like this really make you feel part of the world rather than that feeling that the world was created for you.

Here is a small clip of Alpha 19 I was allowed to share. It shows a bit of the new music and there is this point where you can see what I'm talking about where you aren't the focus of the world. You might catch sight of one of the new zombies as well..

I love the scenery, and damn that horde was awesome

When I get to play a19, im gonna build a nice house in the forest biome, a horde base away from home, and love the scenery, my main weapon of choice once I get it will be my desert eagle, my favorite gun.

8 hours ago, Trankitas said:

@faatal I just wanted to know what are you working on right now. 😇

Mostly worked on rage and pain this week. My release note additions this week:

Changed: Reduced AI rage chance base damage to 40

Fixed: AI rage chance above the base damage

Changed: Dynamic resolution default mode to off

Changed: Player local prefab to use new male and female arm mesh and mats and deleted old nail game objects

Changed: gamestage diminishing returns to a scale and set to .5 and difficulty bonus to a single number and set to 1.2

Added: Bear pain resistance, moved pain to an anim layer, so can still move and doubled health

Fixed: Movement slowing when attacked was not removed with pain resistance

Changed: Removed bashing attacks randomly not causing pain

Added: Pain resistance on all animals and anim layer on boar, deer, mountain lion and wolf

Changed: Increased minimum pain duration

Changed: Increased boss Grace's health

Fixed: Players invisible to AI on dedi

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

There is a lot more variety of music that really sets the mood and atmosphere. Sometimes peaceful, sometimes forboding, and sometimes @%$*#!!!!!!!

Even the burnt forest has remarkably beautiful scenes now that go perfectly with the music that is playing. Feels very cinematic and poignant at times. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roland said:

There is a lot more variety of music that really sets the mood and atmosphere. Sometimes peaceful, sometimes forboding, and sometimes @%$*#!!!!!!!

Even the burnt forest has remarkably beautiful scenes now that go perfectly with the music that is playing. Feels very cinematic and poignant at times. 

is the burnt forest still smoggy and foggy?  As much as I think it sets the mood, sometimes i would love to see clear skies since its already burnt down, with maybe more chance of fog there, cause I dont mind living there myself, but the fog i both hate and it affects my frames lol

7 hours ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Im 100 percent certain he just finished improving zombie reach in peer to peer games.

Right faatal? :)

Not yet. I did a good amount analysis on it last week. Added console commands to enable packet delay and loss simulation in network lib. Added drawing of positional latency in the view and improved drawing of hits. On hold now to deal with issues effecting game play testing. Time is short, so experimental or stable may even happen before I make adjustments to it.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Zombie Boe before he was caught to be replaced by his new PBR version...

25A7A2CD855F07EF1AF21E5338AEC133F41C3A27 (1920×1080)

5 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

is the burnt forest still smoggy and foggy?  As much as I think it sets the mood, sometimes i would love to see clear skies since its already burnt down, with maybe more chance of fog there, cause I dont mind living there myself, but the fog i both hate and it affects my frames lol

The burnt forest is beautiful now. It is smoky but not impenetrably foggy. In A18 it is oppressive and depressing. In A19 it is awe-inspiring. Part of it is the return of the pine trees with all their branches burned off and just the trunks rising into the air. It really brings me back to the way the burnt forest used to be before those huge craggy trees were added everywhere.

• Like 2