Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

2 hours ago, beerfly said:

I wouldn`t dare to play insane difficulty if I couldn`t make a difference, everyone should try it (playing on insane). Pimps did good job on how zeds die, I suggested it as addition, not notification 😛

There is info on the first post of this thread, above the red thing for vehicles. 

Thanks! Looks to me that they added some new status buffs.. And they re-added the hunger/thirst bars to the screen.

Doesn't look too spectacular to me, to be honest..

1 hour ago, DaVegaNL said:

Thanks! Looks to me that they added some new status buffs.. And they re-added the hunger/thirst bars to the screen.

There were some posts a while ago where they went into a bit more detail. Yes, mainly more status effects with unique items that cure them, but the gist of it is that some buffs can only be cured temporarily by other lower tier items until you find the right one, and your max health will depend on these status effects as well, so forget about being full health if you have multiple lacerations and diseases at the same time.

Seems to be a more in-depth buff system, basically.

Mostly directed to the people who want more survival.  also anti-quest survival types.

I thinks 7 days to die is growing out of being a survival game and instead focusing on juggling a lot of good elements. I was never sold on it being a game that mad you manage health meters every 20min. Leave that to the games that don't have much activities to do. I want to quest, loot, build, craft and survive (a horde of zombies). To enjoy this I think food and water needs to be less of a nuisance but still prevalent in the game. This game is unique because it makes you protect the things you built and quest, explore and loot in a pre-built POI that is set in a randomly generated voxel world that spawns @%$*#!in cities. No no no we want this game to be survival base and fill out none of that potential that this game is so close to. Long story short I think alpha 16 is @%$*#! compared to the game right now. 

12 hours ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

....a collectors shelf, as an example, it takes a lot of resources to make, but as you finish its collection, which could be a 0.01% chance to find or obtain, could be a fun thing to do, such as....

Find Pimp Figurines - 5% bonus to Zombie Spawns

Normal Zombie Heads - 5% Damage Boost to Regular Zombies

Feral Zombie Heads - 5% Chance to slow to a walk in your presence

Irradiated Zombie Head - 10% Chance for Irradiated Zombie to Explode from a Headshot

Animal Heads - Craftable Wall Trophies of Animals

Building Permits - Blueprints for Buildings Unlocked

I think this would be fun (as someone who likes to collect stuff in game).

Also, my 2 cents:

- Zombie heads: You'd need to kill them a specific way, or with a special weapon, and then have to preserve them (or find them in a special place ( like already preserved)).

Or maybe we need a "Taxidermy" skill so animal/zombie/parts can be collected and mounted ;)

- Building Permits: Just me thinking...what is the building permit is a quest so it generates a quest marker, you go to some totally destroyed POI ( or just some rubble and a wall or something you'd normally walk right past) and when you start the quest the building gets "rebuilt" to its former glory? Today a destroyed POI can be rebuilt....just don't know how to get it to spawn on a map "already destroyed" so its true form is nor accessible until a blueprint was found. Also:  I don't think quests can choose a specific POI, but if enough destroyed POI's were around then it could just choose one.  Eventually you'd run out of POI's to rebuild though and a lot of blueprints that do nothing... hmmm

- Bonuses: Since these are "collectables" I'd say just make the bonus apply to your base/land claim area if they are placed there, so you can only use the bonuses for base defense :), and you only get the bonus if you complete the "collection" for that particular set of items

OO OO I want to join in on the 2 cent comments that are overlooked since they dont matter.

Can we get colored lightbulbs? Saw in an earlier post, too lazy to quote, i assume you can just make it like the builder block, change fitlers etc. and then we need timer switchs etc so that we can make a disco!

4 hours ago, DaVegaNL said:

No surprise that you are underwhelmed, they forgot the status buff 'stoned'.

50 minutes ago, meganoth said:

No surprise that you are underwhelmed, they forgot the status buff 'stoned'.

Buff effects!

Lower speed

High damage Resistance

Hunger!

Fake zombies spawn

snow dog chases you! 

Turns you into a rattlesnake!

Rats spawn instead of rabbits

Turkeys spawn instead of Chickens\

and Flying pink elephants

thats one hell of a drug!

31 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

Buff effects!

Lower speed

High damage Resistance

Hunger!

Fake zombies spawn

snow dog chases you! 

Turns you into a rattlesnake!

Rats spawn instead of rabbits

and Turkeys spawn instead of Chickens

thats one hell of a drug!

Where are the pink elephants?

On 5/16/2020 at 2:38 PM, Chaos337 said:

@madmole I don't live in the threads and only stop by on occasion to see what kind of work you guys are doing on the new stuff. I noticed your post about how you consider that fact that you are doing a good job based on if a new player can pick it up and hit the ground running (my own words). I can understand your point of view about having players start out for the first time and be able to play without getting overwhelmed. But I disagree about making things easier for them. Its the struggle that ropes people in and causes them to get creative which is in fact the FUN part of this game. The only reasonable solution is a proper tutorial system. Not just craft an Item, place it, upgrade it now go out there and get them zombies.

A true tutorial walks a player through every aspect of the game, not just telling them to craft a tool but telling them to press "Tab" to open the menu, Highlighting the toolbar and showing them how to change tabs between inventory, crafting, perks and such, Highlighting the tool that it wants the player to craft, Highlighting the materials to craft it, Exiting the menu, Pop-Up Text that tells how to gather plant fibers and small stones or alternate ways to get wood IE bushes. That's how you help a new player. If there was a tutorial for all the different things that are needed to be done there would be zero need for WiKi, just experience. (Also make a way to opt out of tutorials when starting a new game and just get an intro quest :P)

I know you would likely respond with "that's what the journal pages are for" but a new player is already overwhelmed and would likely be more worried about staying alive and not spending too much time in the inventory reading.

At any rate I have over 2800 hours played and started just about a month before the launch of A15 so I guess I fall into the catorgory of Backseat Designer, my opinion may not count for much anymore. LOVE the game, LOVE where you guys are taking it! Don't want you to think otherwise from this silly post.  ;D

P.S.  I don't like the A17+ zombie AI lol  Not everyone is a structural engineer, and they certainly don't go to school for it after death >.> 

We're mainly focusing on making the first few hours more intuitive and trying to limit "cheap deaths" due to bugs, overly aggressive animals, spawning in a hell zone, etc. I agree a more involved tutorial would be helpful. We made a hyperlink system on the buffs now, click it to see what ails you. It takes you right to the active effects screen and highlights the buff you clicked on on the left corner.

3 minutes ago, madmole said:

We're mainly focusing on making the first few hours more intuitive and trying to limit "cheap deaths" due to bugs, overly aggressive animals, spawning in a hell zone, etc. I agree a more involved tutorial would be helpful. We made a hyperlink system on the buffs now, click it to see what ails you. It takes you right to the active effects screen and highlights the buff you clicked on on the left corner.

Sounds awesome!  I love it!  No more bleeding out without realizing it? 😂

Is Skull Crushers supposed to be a candy? On the first message, it shows up as a header, but the previous paragraph suggests it's a candy.

20 minutes ago, madmole said:

I wish there was hyperlinking on recipes. Click on an ingredient to go to that ingredient's recipe, if it exists.

And, on that note, I wish I could self-create quests of two kinds:

1. Craft X from the crafting screen. Like when looking at the Bicycle recipe, creating a quest would make a "Gather Wheels, Mechanical Part, Bicycle Chassis, Bicycle Handlebars" quest that I can track.

2. Go to X from the map. Not that much different from the quick marker, but as a quest so I can track distance, and, for that matter, keep multiple that get removed automatically once I get there.

12 hours ago, DaVegaNL said:

Can anyone explain what this ISS is? Isn't it just the 15th iteration of the food/HP system? Are they completely overhauling it again, after implementing a completely new system 2 Alpha's ago (granted, that was 2 years)?

Currently

There is Max Health and Current Health. Max Health is represented by the black bar that grows from the right side of the health graphic thus shrinking your overall health. You can only improve Max Health by using bandages, medicated bandages, and first aid kits. Current Health will recover from pain killers, aloe, medicated bandages, first aid kits, food, and over time naturally but only up to whatever the Max Health currently is.

A19

There is Max Health and Current Health. Max Health is represented by the black bar that grows from the right side of the health graphic thus shrinking your overall health. Whenever you take damage your chance to receive a critical hit grows and at some point you will fall victim to a critical hit which will give you one of the debuffs such as "deep lacerations" or "Sprained or Broken Arm or Leg" or "infection". These debuffs cause a set amount of max health decreases and they stack with each other. The max health can only be increased by removing the debuff which can only happen by using a specific treatment or waiting for time to heal in some cases (or dying...). Just using bandages won't fix your Max health any longer. If you have deep lacerations a bandage will stop the bleeding but to get rid of the debuff and heal your max health you will have to use a sewing kit or first aid kit. Each debuff has its own treatment.

Currently

There is Max Stamina and Current Stamina. Max Stamina is represented by the black bar that grows from the right side of the stamina graphic thus shrinking your overall stamina. Max stamina is equal to your food bar. As your fullness drops below 100 your max stamina drops by a 1:1 ratio. You can overfill yourself to 50 points above the fully healed max stamina. Current Stamina regenerates at a rate that is affected by your thirst. There is no visible indicator to show thirst or the rate at which stamina is recovered.

A19

There is Max Stamina and Current Stamina. Max Stamina is represented by the black bar that grows from the right side of the stamina graphic thus shrinking your overall stamina. Max Stamina no longer follows your fullness at a 1:1 ratio. There is now a fullness bar and a hydration bar displayed on the main play screen. When your fullness drops to 50% you get a hunger debuff which decreases your Max Stamina. That decrease to your max stamina won't be healed until your fullness bar increases above the 50% mark again. You can still eat more than 100% but it shows up as a buff with a timer so you know how long you have until the fullness bar starts to drop again. Hydration works the same way. Eating certain foods can give you a boost to Max Stamina. There may be some debuffs from certain injuries that might also damage your Max Stamina and that would remain until you treated those ailments.

So not really an overhaul. Just another iteration. The presentation is still the same but it is much more clear to the player why their max stamina or max health is damaged and each debuff explains the treatment needed to remove it on the character status screen. Also the food and water bar mini-game is back for those who love to play that. The effects of "overeating" and "over drinking" are much more clear to the player. If you eat a meal that gives 30 points of food and your bar is at 90 then you will see the bar fill up to 100 and then a food buff icon will appear with a countdown starting from 20 and when that timer reaches zero the food bar start emptying once again. Finally, with the food and stamina no longer being 1:1 there is more of a grace period of having your food bar empty and when you see the effects on your stamina show up.

13 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

it would be cool if we could get some heath buffs. nothing Crazy but like 5, 10 or 15 extra Max health for eating good food. 

could be something coordinating with some mecidcal stuff? figure you can probably be cheap and duplicate the steroids coding icon etc and just change teh color of the syringe change the buff from carry capactiy to max hp gain temp and make it morphine idk lol

Game is nice and all, but after a16 it is getting less and less interesting for me ... mainly cause of all dumb down things like new skill/perk system & quality system

ah well, but since there is no other similar game to this, for now, I will have to settle for what we have :D

hoping future will bring some changes :)

Hi @Madmole 

A long time ago (when this A19 thread started) we talked about the possibility of a new enemy coming to the game, we thought about some really creepy thing randomly spawning at night, with really nasty sounds like howls, intense breathing or something like that, to keep players on their toes.

I remember the first time I saw a Zombie Screamer, it was so terrifying my friend quited the game until I killed her.

Is this idea still alive? or discarded?

S05E05 - The Lair of the Wendigo - Bedtime Stories | Lyssna här ...

1 minute ago, Trankitas said:

Hi @Madmole 

A long time ago (when this A19 thread started) we talked about the possibility of a new enemy coming to the game, we thought about some really creepy thing randomly spawning at night, with really nasty sounds like howls, intense breathing or something like that, to keep players on their toes.

I remember the first time I saw a Zombie Screamer, it was so terrifying my friend quited the game until I killed her.

Is this idea still alive? or discarded?

S05E05 - The Lair of the Wendigo - Bedtime Stories | Lyssna här ...

looks like my idea of the spider zombie lol

1 hour ago, Roland said:

You go ahead and click on the hyperlink for bleeding.  I'll just click on my bandage... ;)

They look like good changes overall. The new iteration seems better and more engaging. 

So... Roland, the art team seems to be  improving the modelling of the new Zds really fast. Are they (the Zds) going to get paid a little extra for their troubles? 

On a more serious note, are you allowed to tell us if all the Zd's replacements are gonna make it in time for a19? 

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived