Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

9 hours ago, Gazz said:

hat's why I keep an eye on Twitch. Occasionally a genuinely new player pops up and it's quite enlightening to see the problems they see

Every now and then I'll go into the "popular clips" section to see "the best of the weird stuff" and yes, its fun to watch people discover things in the game for the first time (or carefully crafted bases falling apart).  My personal fav: when people eat broken glass for the first time.  The look of confusion, the look of surprise, the scream "what the hell.  I ate glass?", the frantic attempts to bandage it up (unable to select the bandages, if they have any,  as panic is setting in), the disbelief of death. Then usually their friends laughing at them while they sit there dejected.  It brings back that fond memory of me doing the same thing ;)

And people shooting barrels/stepping on mines blowing themselves up.  That never gets old.

6 hours ago, Ranzera said:

Like I said, it's extremely unlikely anyone in this thread will figure it out. The guy that just bought the game today has a better chance of figuring it out than anyone here.

am watching, too, some mod or other also removes the ability

On 11/26/2019 at 8:16 PM, Jugginator said:

+1 because I want the passenger in the 4x4 have the ability to shoot. I want to equip/have the passenger equip an M60 with a drum mag, so we can ride around full speed bullets flying while blaring Rammstein.

SMG Turret attached to the back of the 4x4 directly controlled if there is a passenger but other wise functioning on auto with just a driver.

1 hour ago, Talerian said:

SMG Turret attached to the back of the 4x4 directly controlled if there is a passenger but other wise functioning on auto with just a driver.

Don't see this happening. Goes in pimp Dreams, where there is lots of this kind of dreams.

I was thinking about zombies and it should be more models of them e.g. doctor, zombie riot , decayed survivor, pilot, infested bandits, mercenary zombie, very weak rotten almost skeleton,  cutting in half crawler, infested child , more civilian zombies what do you think about that? 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the more involved player injuries bits don't result in having to allocate more backpack space to medical items than we already do.

Or mandate that you always carry food due to healing concerns.

Would love to see a 'real' First Aid Kit that would hold various supplies, that could be restocked, and when needed (outside of combat) you'd open it up and use antibiotics or a splint etc.

"Immediate Use" items like bandages could still be on hotbar.

Comes from thinking about how many healing items Empyrion has now. Way too many imo and they take up too many backpack slots.

One thing down the road i am looking for is linking generators together or being able to repair say a substation to bring power back to a large area, heck id even like to see us being able to build a hydro dam in the water for more seaside bases, i mean we can build an advanced drone so why not larger or more types of generators haha

Hmmm... I remember there were talks in this forum, during A17 iirc, about bringing in a blueprint system. That would allow you to construct entire POIs . I remember referencing games like Space Engineers and Planet Explorers, that have similar features, where you can even build such blueprints, and then share it online. 

I can't remember where that discussion ended, but it would probably be in 7 Days to die 2 . It would be awesome to have a modular building system like that as well, but it would likely be too much work to implement, or even not possible on this engine.  Seems quite difficult to get right, if you consider all the bugs and issues in say Fallout 4 settlement building etc.  

1 minute ago, Operator_Death said:

@madmole will we be keeping the current book system? Will you add new books possibly to A19?

On 11/26/2019 at 6:16 PM, madmole said:

New Books

• Tech Junkie Learn from MacDyver himself to build useful gadgets from common household junk!
  • Grease Monkey Learn to modify and craft vehicles of all currently existing shapes and sizes
  • Bar Brawling Learn from Irish legend "Lucky @%$*#!" himself and never get bested in a good ol' fashioned bar room brawl.
  • Spear Hunter Get connected with your inner caveman and master the forgotten art of spear hunting.

1 hour ago, Marinxar said:

Hmmm... I remember there were talks in this forum, during A17 iirc, about bringing in a blueprint system. That would allow you to construct entire POIs . I remember referencing games like Space Engineers and Planet Explorers, that have similar features, where you can even build such blueprints, and then share it online. 

I can't remember where that discussion ended, but it would probably be in 7 Days to die 2 . It would be awesome to have a modular building system like that as well, but it would likely be too much work to implement, or even not possible on this engine.  Seems quite difficult to get right, if you consider all the bugs and issues in say Fallout 4 settlement building etc.  

i remember that too, but MM discussed it in a video way back. I think it was around a12-15ish but i could never find that video again, i'll see if i can find it.

@madmole I don't live in the threads and only stop by on occasion to see what kind of work you guys are doing on the new stuff. I noticed your post about how you consider that fact that you are doing a good job based on if a new player can pick it up and hit the ground running (my own words). I can understand your point of view about having players start out for the first time and be able to play without getting overwhelmed. But I disagree about making things easier for them. Its the struggle that ropes people in and causes them to get creative which is in fact the FUN part of this game. The only reasonable solution is a proper tutorial system. Not just craft an Item, place it, upgrade it now go out there and get them zombies.

A true tutorial walks a player through every aspect of the game, not just telling them to craft a tool but telling them to press "Tab" to open the menu, Highlighting the toolbar and showing them how to change tabs between inventory, crafting, perks and such, Highlighting the tool that it wants the player to craft, Highlighting the materials to craft it, Exiting the menu, Pop-Up Text that tells how to gather plant fibers and small stones or alternate ways to get wood IE bushes. That's how you help a new player. If there was a tutorial for all the different things that are needed to be done there would be zero need for WiKi, just experience. (Also make a way to opt out of tutorials when starting a new game and just get an intro quest :P)

I know you would likely respond with "that's what the journal pages are for" but a new player is already overwhelmed and would likely be more worried about staying alive and not spending too much time in the inventory reading.

At any rate I have over 2800 hours played and started just about a month before the launch of A15 so I guess I fall into the catorgory of Backseat Designer, my opinion may not count for much anymore. LOVE the game, LOVE where you guys are taking it! Don't want you to think otherwise from this silly post.  ;D

P.S.  I don't like the A17+ zombie AI lol  Not everyone is a structural engineer, and they certainly don't go to school for it after death >.> 

2 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Nice, we have a token asian zombie now lol complete with polo shirt....lol

Love the look of that new POI, I see some new Bollard deco blocks...and.....

5rxw7tP.png

The only thing I can answer for sure is the build number. a19 b118 +/- 1

And they release at b145 ish (July 2 2020)

3 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

The only thing I can answer for sure is the build number. a19 b118 +/- 1

And they release at b145 ish (July 2 2020)

aggaw.thumb.jpg.3d74b71bd511ede9422a93104f944387.jpg

I don't know if they're exactly the same, but I'm pretty certain that the thing I encircled in blue is definitely a corpse. You can see it in the Boe picture:

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, Xtrakicking said:

aggaw.thumb.jpg.3d74b71bd511ede9422a93104f944387.jpg

I don't know if they're exactly the same, but I'm pretty certain that the thing I encircled in blue is definitely a corpse. You can see it in the Boe picture:

spacer.png

Also, the big yellow rectangle is enclosing bookshelves and a car. Not sure if new bookshelves or a18 bookshelves. They are behind some kind of "store windows", the ones that are used at stores for standard showcasing.

EDIT: Bulletproof glass? That would be cool

Archived