madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

The problem with negative feedback right now, is it's just a moan fest. They havent even played with new system yet. Play A19 and if you dont like, then its true feedback.

Quit trying to pad your post numbers back up.😉

• Like 2
  • Dislike 3
  • Poop 1

1 hour ago, JaxTeller718 said:

Going along with that idea Id remove canned food too. Really no need for them at all anymore. One less useless item.

Sorry bro Not gonna agree on ya with this one lol 😛 Can food is good lol 😄

1 hour ago, JaxTeller718 said:

Going along with that idea Id remove canned food too. Really no need for them at all anymore. One less useless item.

I like the canned food, helps out early on until you can get cooking some stuff. I always save up the can's of sham to make chowder. Can't wait to see the new recipes and what the new foods are like. 

6 hours ago, Guppycur said:

A19 screenshot...

220px-MUD1_screenshot.gif

Congrats to the graphics guys, they've outdone themselves! 😁

Curious on how Random Gen Maps are going. Any info or pic teasers?

Haven't scanned Trader loot tables but I haven't seen a single Sewing Kit for sale at a Trader. Any chance these are craftable in A19?

I am really excited for Alpha 19, I can say I am not going to miss the barfing mechanic.

The sheer amount of stuff been changed or added into A19 it is mind blowing.

Is water going to be looked at in A20 or further beyond that say in gold, I was thinking about it the other day if you made it flow and work like Minecraft water, I am pretty sure most of us would be happy with that.

I know that fog and the murkiness has been added into this version, which is very cool, along with swimming zombies is going to be terrifying.

7 hours ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

From catching up, all i can say is madmole, it is looking good and I cannot wait to jump into the game.

In regards to the food poisoning it didn't really affect me, I would pop a green pill and eat a lot then carry on my merry way, seeing it go i don't mind, though i still think food spoilage should be a thing, then rotten meat could be easier to obtain for sure, food has never been an issue for me in any stage of the game, its never gotten low enough to worry about, with new food being added i'm kinda happy to see what I can make

Personally i hated the food poisoning mechanic, it was far too erratic since you could eat a whole buffet of zombie flesh and sham sandwiches and not feel even slightly sick, or you could eat one blue berry and vomit your entire contents out in one shot. If you had enough @%$*#!ty food you could risk it and just chow down, take a spew and continue till you were full again, but having normal food, even if unprepared, have the same consequences as bad food wasnt good design.

I think having a sickness meter would be a better direction where if your sickness meter gets to 100 you vomit and lose it all, and it decays at a slow rate. Zombie flesh gives 90 sickness, its alright in a clutch but you cant risk anything else, while uncooked ingredients offer 5-10 sickness, so you can eat about 10 corn before you have to stop.

That would be a system i would consider perking into or i would feel good working with since i would actually have some control over it, but a 4% all or nothing system i have no control over at all.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A19 lookin' sweet! I myself am not seeing any A19 change or addition which makes me doubt if it's a good idea. This is the first alpha to feel like that for me. I'll miss food poisoning but I realize that food will be in the midway of development in A19, while still acceptable.

I wonder if the "Difficulty" option will one day be cut to Zombie HP and damage options, relegated to the "Advanced" tab. Then "Difficulty" could just change some settings in "Advanced" and make the gamestage progress faster. That'd make basic difficulty viable changes for people who don't want to dive in the advanced options and think about what fits to their game or doesn't, considering currently people sometimes talk about how the higher difficulties make the zombies huge bullet sponges. It'd also allow more customization for the advanced players (Zombie HP and damage)

Edited by agrastiOs (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Roland said:

Not if Joel continues to add a few recipes each update that use the canned food as ingredients. We are getting a handful this time and maybe another handful in the next update. I like the idea of having to decide if you should just eat the Sham now or save it for when you can make better dishes using it.

I already do that now. Eat the sham or save it for some nice sham chowder when I can make it.

I have hundreds of hours on this super game, I spend whole days building. I hope that one day you will correct the ground bug and I think that the "water" blocks should cover more than 80% of the blocks.

bug1.jpg

Roland your words are reassuring. But for me the correct design is and will be spoilage in the game. There are hundreds of hours invested in developing different types of food, mechanics such as hunting or agriculture. It doesn't make sense that food doesn't play a bigger role in the survival aspect of the game. Spoilage is the simplest and most effective feature to avoid swimming in food. Adding other mechanics that give importance to food are always welcome.

Too many changes to try to make the food useful. But in my opinion, without spoilage it is and will be a bad design.

Sorry for my bad English.
  • Like 1

the fridge is just decoration...

spoilage would be a nice use for power and fridge and also the early cooler box.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tizys said:

I hope that one day you will correct the ground bug

bug1.jpg

I second that, it really bothers me when trying to build something, and its specially annoying when you make an entrance and your bicicle, motorbike or even car gets stuck in that gap

• Like 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, FileMachete said:

Curious on how Random Gen Maps are going. Any info or pic teasers?

Haven't scanned Trader loot tables but I haven't seen a single Sewing Kit for sale at a Trader. Any chance these are craftable in A19?

i have found that every damn time i find a sewing kit, i get attacked and lacerated to which i then need the sewing kit i just found. its like the game tells me something is about to happen....<eerie music>

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GoldenFox said:

I second that, it really bothers me when trying to build something, and its specially annoying when you make an entrance and your bicicle, motorbike or even car gets stuck in that gap

If I remember correctly, it screws over some elements of the terrain. There was a modlet or something for it(maybe it was Roland showcasing it)

some POI's in rwg have perfect flat edges, and dont show that ugly gap that makes vehicles stuck lol

43 minutes ago, Mideval said:

Roland your words are reassuring. But for me the correct design is and will be spoilage in the game. There are hundreds of hours invested in developing different types of food, mechanics such as hunting or agriculture. It doesn't make sense that food doesn't play a bigger role in the survival aspect of the game. Spoilage is the simplest and most effective feature to avoid swimming in food. Adding other mechanics that give importance to food are always welcome.

Too many changes to try to make the food useful. But in my opinion, without spoilage it is and will be a bad design.

Sorry for my bad English.

There were a lot of discussions about that in the forum from time to time. You are definitely wrong about one thing, and that is that it would be simple to implement. You just aren't seeing the problems

8 hours ago, Roland said:

Not if Joel continues to add a few recipes each update that use the canned food as ingredients. We are getting a handful this time and maybe another handful in the next update. I like the idea of having to decide if you should just eat the Sham now or save it for when you can make better dishes using it.

Tbh, because of the obvious penalties cooked food has always discouraged me which felt odd given the effort the player had to go through to make them.

With this change, it should feel more rewarding/encouraging to eat them.

In my opinion, the mini game of managing food poisoning will not be missed if the new criticals system keeps the player busy enough.  I just hope criticals is something that doesnt gets bypassed too easily...

15 hours ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Guys I'm going for the record number of turd reactions in one post.  Turd me.

Edit: unlike real life, I can't poop myself.

14 Turds!!!! Plus a bonus turd from Laz in a follow-up post.  Roland, please, I have to have won SOMETHING

• Poop 3

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, GoldenFox said:

I second that, it really bothers me when trying to build something, and its specially annoying when you make an entrance and your bicycle, motorbike or even car gets stuck in that gap

As far I know, its something to do with the way the engine renders the voxels (3D Sprites) and unless you go with a voxel like Minecraft, is really hard to fix.

I dont think it will be fixed any time soon as they are pushing for gold release, you learn to live with it.

You can cover it with plates, I think that still works although I just live with it.

https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/174008/how-can-i-smooth-my-voxels-similar-to-7-days-to-die

Edited by Annihilatorza
Spelling (see edit history)

41 minutes ago, meganoth said:

There were a lot of discussions about that in the forum from time to time. You are definitely wrong about one thing, and that is that it would be simple to implement. You just aren't seeing the problems

Yep, easier said then done definitely.

43 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

I just hope criticals is something that doesnt gets bypassed too easily...

You're trying to trigger me. Don't think I don't know it.... lol

14 minutes ago, wclem1974 said:

Just read the banner on top. So this means we can expect an update in October?

The banner reads "Summer". Joel said before the Steam Summer Sale which is usually sometime around July 4th. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Roland said:

You're trying to trigger me. Don't think I don't know it.... lol

The banner reads "Summer". Joel said before the Steam Summer Sale which is usually sometime around July 4th. 

Actually,It got confirmed that the summer stale starts at june 25th.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, meganoth said:

There have been discussions about food spoilage at TFP from time to time as well and it always comes back to implementation and consensus. Perhaps they will consider it as part of their A20 redesign but I wouldn't count on it too much. They want to get this game to gold and figuring out a way to implement food spoilage that won't add inordinate delays to their schedule could be hard. And then there is consensus. It is just a fact that some people love spoilage and some people hate spoilage. From past polls it seems pretty evenly split among players. So not only are they hesitant to add something that could potentially alienate half the player base-- even among the team of developers there are some who are opposed to adding spoilage because they hate it in games.

5 minutes ago, EffiJeffy said:

Actually,It got confirmed that the summer stale starts at june 25th.

There you go. But there is no way I'm typing that date into the banner. "Summer" is just fine. I'd rather spend an afternoon with Trader Rekt than here on the forums on June 26th....

Edited by Roland (see edit history)
  • Like 3