Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

23 minutes ago, madmole said:

That would be horrible. IMO Starfield will come out this fall with the new launch consoles so it can be a launch title, and ES6 won't be that far behind, 2021-2022. Despite lack of news they have had 9 years to flesh out all the designs so really its just ramping up to full production and if Starfield is shipping this year a lot of people are already done and have moved on to ES6, typically artists and world designers aren't needed towards the end, only for polish notes and a skeleton team can work on those as the core team shift to ES6. I'm being optimistic, but the failure of Fallout 76 and funding all these other studios that have been failing has to be taking a toll on their finances and BGS main office will have to save the day.

as long as they dont use the same engine as the last 3. they need to update or swap game engines. and with FO76, they have proven they can set it to mp if they wished. a small lannable ES game would be fun

13 hours ago, Tin said:

You would be wrong. 'IF' they did: It would guarantee the first and last game I buy from them, IF they brought in Micro-transactions. Actual worthwhile DLC's? sure. Micro-BS? nah, I would pass, shelve this game, and pass on anything they produced after. Yeah, I only speak for myself, and they might? probably? would survive doing it, Just saying I know I would be one less future sale, none the less.

Depends if it was just new cosmetics that offered no advantage over vanilla ones I don't think anyone would care about that. Skins basically. That said we're not in any position to even talk about that because UMA is a mess and has to be changed before we could even think about that. I doubt we'll even make any DLCs.

7 hours ago, khzmusik said:

Allow myself to add to the chorus of people who do not want to see this happen.

In addition to simply not liking microtransactions - it would fundamentally change the way the game is developed, and what they allow modders to do.

If they have microtransactions, those microtransactions would have to offer something that you couldn't otherwise get - and TFP would have to change their game so that you couldn't get them elsewhere.

Offer an NPC pack? TFP would have to disallow modders who are already making pretty fine NPCs. Offer skins? Disallow modders who are already re-skinning vanilla assets. Offer custom maps that you have to pay for? They would have to be better than RWG maps - and so RWG would have to be nerfed so as not to produce a map that is comparable in quality.

Luckily for us, TFP staff have been pretty much against this for as long as the subject has been brought up.

I want them to make money too. But it seems like, rather than go with microtransactions, they'll just start development on a new game for us to buy and enjoy. So kudos to them.

EDIT: Also, not only would us PC players be upset, imagine the wrath they would get from the console crowd. "You're offering stupid microtransactions and we still don't have updates to the buggy mess we paid for?" Etc.

Mods, microtransactions and dlcs are off topic from here forward.

4 hours ago, Ralathar44 said:

It's a no win game in the modern age.  If you don't do microtransactions/dlc/expansions you often get accused of "abandoning" a game if you release it, push out some patches, and are then done with it.  If you DO do microtransactions or DLC or expansion passes they call you greedy and accuse you of a cash grab.  People also don't understand the monetization behind microtransactions and why the prices are as high as they usually are.  Reducing your price by 50% does NOT result in 50% more sales, that's not how it works, and since games are a business development must consider ROI (return on investment).

Considering the temperament of the 7 Days to Die community I honestly don't think they should attempt any DLC, expansions, or microtransactions.  The community would tear them apart for it.  It's a fairly....we'll be nice and say "passionate" community already.  IMO TFP should finish 7DTD through release, support it for like a year with some minor patches, and then move on to a new project.  Since the community is not going to be ok with additional funding methods it kinda forces their hand on that.  We'll blame them of course and accuse them of abandoning it, but the reality is we'll have painted them into the corner on that decision.

It'd be completely unreasonable to say that they should stay to develop the game for very long past release with no viable options of continued monetization.  That's just the tradeoff you accept for no dlc/microtransactions/expansions.

So extensions which have practically existed since games were played on green and amber 9 inch screens would bring this community to rage quit? I think I'm part of this OTHER community that wants to see an extension of 7 Days to die. I'm also quite fine if they call such an extension DLC, because nowadays any extension is just one type of D(onw)L(oadable)C(ontent) if you buy it on steam, right?

I also believe you don't know the 7d2d community very well 😉

EDIT: I wrote this before the edict. I request preservation of the status quo 😎

Soooo I started testing yesterday. I spawned in the forest and did my tutorial and found my way to the trader, trader Bob. Upon entering the compound I got some nice trader music and interacting with him felt much more polished. I did a couple of dig quests, the dig quests have a nice "shrinking circle" now when you dig that helps you eventually find the target it feels much more polished and enjoyable now.

I found the new food and water bars immersive and not distracting at all, and quite helpful. Health seems hard to get now and I was struggling with low health. I am trying an INT build and I'm not used to the stun baton its range had me getting hit quite a lot and it isn't very good against crowds IMO. I know it will be great later when I have junk turrets and perks so it takes less swings to get a charge.

The graphics are beautiful. On day 2 I did my 4th quest, a clear the zombies quest and I had only 20-30% health when I started. Not a good idea. I had a pistol I bought from the trader with 10 rounds but that didn't last long but I think I was close to clearing it so I kept going, but the stun baton wasn't doing so well, I was getting hit too much. I switched to the steel battle axe I got as a reward  and power attacked and knocked two guys down with one swing it was glorious. It had me thinking a strength build would be a better move lol, but then I got hit again and could not switch to a bandage quick enough and bled out.

Overall a much better start than A18 testing had. There is new combat and behaviors, guys stumbling and falling over fences, and when they break a door they stumble or fall, its very cool. This game has an intensity to it that is amazing. I've decided I will start a base when I get my stuff back. I already bought the forge perk so I can get some tools going and get a mine started at least. It feels more challenging regarding food. Vending machines had very little food and mostly candy, so I'm doing dig quests to keep fed, but my low health situation keeps me from storing any surplus I'm eating everything to keep my health up. I haven't got any criticals other than infection. I had to take the herbal antibiotics as a quest reward to get rid of infection, and passed up on a q2 steel club which sucked. No honey was found yet either.

4 minutes ago, madmole said:

Snipped for Sapce

My inner Hypetrain made its first "Choooo" while the engine started. A dense swirl of smoke escapes as the boiler reaches temperature.

Thanks Mr. Mole for an enjoying read.

Please share some more the next weeks :)

2 minutes ago, madmole said:

Soooo I started testing yesterday. I spawned in the forest and did my tutorial and found my way to the trader, trader Bob. Upon entering the compound I got some nice trader music and interacting with him felt much more polished. I did a couple of dig quests, the dig quests have a nice "shrinking circle" now when you dig that helps you eventually find the target it feels much more polished and enjoyable now.

I found the new food and water bars immersive and not distracting at all, and quite helpful. Health seems hard to get now and I was struggling with low health. I am trying an INT build and I'm not used to the stun baton its range had me getting hit quite a lot and it isn't very good against crowds IMO. I know it will be great later when I have junk turrets and perks so it takes less swings to get a charge.

The graphics are beautiful. On day 2 I did my 4th quest, a clear the zombies quest and I had only 20-30% health when I started. Not a good idea. I had a pistol I bought from the trader with 10 rounds but that didn't last long but I think I was close to clearing it so I kept going, but the stun baton wasn't doing so well, I was getting hit too much. I switched to the steel battle axe I got as a reward  and power attacked and knocked two guys down with one swing it was glorious. It had me thinking a strength build would be a better move lol, but then I got hit again and could not switch to a bandage quick enough and bled out.

Overall a much better start than A18 testing had. There is new combat and behaviors, guys stumbling and falling over fences, and when they break a door they stumble or fall, its very cool. This game has an intensity to it that is amazing. I've decided I will start a base when I get my stuff back. I already bought the forge perk so I can get some tools going and get a mine started at least. It feels more challenging regarding food. Vending machines had very little food and mostly candy, so I'm doing dig quests to keep fed, but my low health situation keeps me from storing any surplus I'm eating everything to keep my health up. I haven't got any criticals other than infection. I had to take the herbal antibiotics as a quest reward to get rid of infection, and passed up on a q2 steel club which sucked. No honey was found yet either.

Spoiler

HYPE! HYPE! 

Mike wazowski Meme Generator - Imgflip

Hope for a Video soon!

16 minutes ago, madmole said:

Spoiler

Cool. Thanks for the read! Looking forward to getting my hands on it, and giving it a vanilla play through (or 3) on it. 

3 minutes ago, madmole said:

It all happened pretty fast, but a zombie tried jumping over a fence and face planted, and I was LOL while I ran up to give him the beat down.

A new example of why vanilla version is never gonna be boring. 

10 minutes ago, madmole said:

It all happened pretty fast, but a zombie tried jumping over a fence and face planted, and I was LOL while I ran up to give him the beat down.

so do they just jump over them or do the vault fences?

but cool! i can't wait to see how that will evolve 

On 5/2/2020 at 10:42 AM, madmole said:

I was at a military base that had a watch tower with a middle level and a top level. I went to the top level and broke in and four zombies surprised me so I ran out and down to the middle floor. I was safe there because a broken catwalk was the only access. All of a sudden behind me a heard a loud bang and I turned around to see a zombie standing up on the roof of the barracks right next to me. A second later two more of the zombies jumped from above and face planted on the roof and then slowly stood up and started coming towards me. It was awesome to see them fall and splat and then get up.

On 5/1/2020 at 1:27 AM, Roland said:

Without AI they would just stand there...

Just call trees and cacti "Bandits" and you've got your A19 bandits with zero AI...

Hopefully we will get some friendly AI soon. Like at the traders post. 

1 minute ago, Roland said:

I was at a military base that had a watch tower with a middle level and a top level. I went to the top level and broke in and four zombies surprised me so I ran out and down to the middle floor. I was safe there because a broken catwalk was the only access. All of a sudden behind me a heard a loud bang and I turned around to see a zombie standing up on the roof of the barracks right next to me. A second later two more of the zombies jumped from above and face planted on the roof and then slowly stood up and started coming towards me. It was awesome to see them fall and splat and then get up.

i can't wait!

hope both of you find good loot!

Saw the reply that the discussion is off topic now, editted to respect that :P.  Also I am excite about this:

1 hour ago, madmole said:

Ok, it's fun and cool, I get it... but isn't there the risk that the new stumbling zombies will start a new "fence exploit" trend?

The first think I thought was "nice!".

Then the second think that got in my mind was "this could be exploited to have an unfair advantage"!

My worry is that this new zombie behavior will be easily exploited... I can think of at least three (regular) base types where I could use that.

Just saying

1 minute ago, Jost Amman said:

Ok, it's fun and cool, I get it... but isn't there the risk that the new stumbling zombies will start a new "fence exploit" trend?

The first think I thought was "nice!".

Then the second think that got in my mind was "this could be exploited to have an unfair advantage"!

My worry is that this new zombie behavior will be easily exploited... I can think of at least three (regular) base types where I could use that.

Just saying

It is not gonna be a faceplant simulator, worry not 😛

It isn't 100% for stumbling from breaking through something, jumping over something, or jumping down from a short distance. Some will some won't. Falling from a higher distance pretty much always triggers a ragdoll-- and it never gets old watching. lol

24 minutes ago, Roland said:

It isn't 100% for stumbling from breaking through something, jumping over something, or jumping down from a short distance. Some will some won't. Falling from a higher distance pretty much always triggers a ragdoll-- and it never gets old watching. lol

new 7d2d zombie mechanic: "Better off dead" edition: Better Off Dead Cash GIF by moodman Better Off Dead Cash GIF by moodmanBetter Off Dead Cash GIF by moodman Remember to pay  

3 hours ago, madmole said:

Snip

Yayyyyyy!  It all sounds wonderful!!!  Super pumped to hear/see more!!!!!   Curious to hear your take on intellect as well as it was the first build (and perception later) I tried in A18...😀

2 hours ago, Roland said:

The bliss is seductive.

Must feel good to share that after MM revealed the new feature...does the new feature feel like world war z bunch up and falling especially when they are running in bunches?

1 hour ago, Roland said:

It would be awesome if it applied to players one day as well...unless your perked into agility lol....

Archived