Jump to content
madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

Roland

When you download A19 you MUST start a new save. Maps generated in A18 will NOT work for A19 games. 

 

Head HERE to report bugs.

Message added by Roland

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

that should just be the slogan for TPF

 

The Fun Pimps "its done when its done"

Because good stuff takes time to be made. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Sagripes said:

you have a VERY dedicated fan base, I know for one being a CHEAP ASS that I wouldn't mind paying for some good, new, massive content aslong as it doesn't go EA on us. just some thoughts take em or not

I wouldn`t mind if only visual content is behind micro transactions like skins/camos for weapons, vehicles, additional wall paint, or other versions/alterations of armour outfits, clothes to be found. MICROTRANSACTIONS - it`s a gold mine and viable source of income. I believe any player would survive this type of paid content. What I don`t necessarily agree on is hiding additional content behind payment walls while there is no advanced AI introduced (like bandits), no single player/story driven mode. Probably questionable netcode and balancing. Not mentioning audio-visual coherence. Just my wild thoughts.

  • Dislike 3
  • Poop 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TWORDY said:

I wouldn`t mind if only visual content is behind micro transactions like skins/camos for weapons, vehicles, additional wall paint, or other versions/alterations of armour outfits, clothes to be found. MICROTRANSACTIONS - it`s a gold mine and viable source of income. I believe any player would survive this type of paid content. What I don`t necessarily agree on is hiding additional content behind payment walls while there is no advanced AI introduced (like bandits), no single player/story driven mode. Probably questionable netcode and balancing. Not mentioning audio-visual coherence. Just my wild thoughts.

You would be wrong. 'IF' they did: It would guarantee the first and last game I buy from them, IF they brought in Micro-transactions. Actual worthwhile DLC's? sure. Micro-BS? nah, I would pass, shelve this game, and pass on anything they produced after. Yeah, I only speak for myself, and they might? probably? would survive doing it, Just saying I know I would be one less future sale, none the less.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Tin said:

You would be wrong. 'IF' they did: It would guarantee the first and last game I buy from them, IF they brought in Micro-transactions. Actual worthwhile DLC's? sure. Micro-BS? nah, I would pass, shelve this game, and pass on anything they produced after. Yeah, I only speak for myself, and they might? probably? would survive doing it, Just saying I know I would be one less future sale, none the less.

Have to agree Tin. I've supported devs and content creators like yourself BUT it was always a matter of choice. Forcing players to purchase dlc  to be equal to others, think SE, is just bad practice. Sure there are points to both I suppose but not ones I will support. DLC's are a completely separate topic and done well are a fair way to bring extra money into the development stream. Some truck sims have done this very well. I am not excited to pay for every state or continent but given the amount of work required I think its fair and users have the choice. This affects only the user and not gameplay overall.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was referring to VISUAL microtransactions like skins. I`m against any content DLCs (like weapons/vehicles/missions/maps/attachements etc) while the base game is nowhere near polished. I`m againt EAs policy like PREMIUM and pre-orders because at the end of the day even so called triple-A titles feel like Early Access without content. But personally I hate andy microtransaction/dlc business overall because usually this thing breaks performance or causes synchronization issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TWORDY said:

I wouldn`t mind if only visual content is behind micro transactions like skins/camos for weapons, vehicles, additional wall paint, or other versions/alterations of armour outfits, clothes to be found. MICROTRANSACTIONS - it`s a gold mine and viable source of income. I believe any player would survive this type of paid content. What I don`t necessarily agree on is hiding additional content behind payment walls while there is no advanced AI introduced (like bandits), no single player/story driven mode. Probably questionable netcode and balancing. Not mentioning audio-visual coherence. Just my wild thoughts.

Nah dawg, that kind of stuff is a major turn off for a lot of players.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tin said:

You would be wrong. 'IF' they did: It would guarantee the first and last game I buy from them, IF they brought in Micro-transactions. Actual worthwhile DLC's? sure. Micro-BS? nah, I would pass, shelve this game, and pass on anything they produced after. Yeah, I only speak for myself, and they might? probably? would survive doing it, Just saying I know I would be one less future sale, none the less.

I would do the same thing as well

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think I've ever bought a micro transaction in my life.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, faatal said:

I don't think I've ever bought a micro transaction in my life.

Real life is nothing but micro transactions if you think about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Real life micro transactions?


How does Snowdog get into every conversation?

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, faatal said:

I don't think I've ever bought a micro transaction in my life.

But....have you ever designed and implemented one? Your purchasing skills are not the concern here. Why WERE you hired...?


image.jpeg.4422624b50d6ca458a3d024232803026.jpeg
 

 

Just kidding around folks. There are no plans for micro transactions in this game. Be at peace. If you REALLY want them, go find a server violating our EULA...

Edited by Roland (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2020 at 7:24 PM, Roland said:

Did you want smaller or did you want real....?

 

On 4/30/2020 at 8:22 PM, madmole said:

The framework allows it, but over scope and the desire to ship a better build every alpha keeps that from becoming a reality. That said A19 will take less time than 17 or 18 did. We'll be in content lock soon and you guys will certainly have a stable 19 before the Steam summer sale.

Good to hear, hope I didn't ruffle any feathers. I was just poking fun is all. Being honest, I prefer better content over a longer wait anyways. I'll look forward to playing again before the Summer Sale, but I understand if things get pushed back, given... well, everything. XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Roland said:

But....have you ever designed and implemented one? Your purchasing skills are not the concern here. Why WERE you hired...?


image.jpeg.4422624b50d6ca458a3d024232803026.jpeg
 

 

5 Bucks per new Zombie Reskin "DLC´s" confirmed!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, TWORDY said:

I wouldn`t mind if only visual content is behind micro transactions like skins/camos for weapons, vehicles, additional wall paint, or other versions/alterations of armour outfits, clothes to be found. MICROTRANSACTIONS - it`s a gold mine and viable source of income. I believe any player would survive this type of paid content. What I don`t necessarily agree on is hiding additional content behind payment walls while there is no advanced AI introduced (like bandits), no single player/story driven mode. Probably questionable netcode and balancing. Not mentioning audio-visual coherence. Just my wild thoughts.

Allow myself to add to the chorus of people who do not want to see this happen.

 

In addition to simply not liking microtransactions - it would fundamentally change the way the game is developed, and what they allow modders to do.

 

If they have microtransactions, those microtransactions would have to offer something that you couldn't otherwise get - and TFP would have to change their game so that you couldn't get them elsewhere.

 

Offer an NPC pack? TFP would have to disallow modders who are already making pretty fine NPCs. Offer skins? Disallow modders who are already re-skinning vanilla assets. Offer custom maps that you have to pay for? They would have to be better than RWG maps - and so RWG would have to be nerfed so as not to produce a map that is comparable in quality.

 

Luckily for us, TFP staff have been pretty much against this for as long as the subject has been brought up.

 

I want them to make money too. But it seems like, rather than go with microtransactions, they'll just start development on a new game for us to buy and enjoy. So kudos to them.

 

EDIT: Also, not only would us PC players be upset, imagine the wrath they would get from the console crowd. "You're offering stupid microtransactions and we still don't have updates to the buggy mess we paid for?" Etc.

Edited by khzmusik (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Guppys Fur said:

 

5 Bucks per new Zombie Reskin "DLC´s" confirmed!!!!!

Zombie armor set DLC confirmed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, XCOUNTRY said:

I forget a lot more goes on under the hood. More than I admit I'm willing to learn right now. I'll stick to my xml editing for now.

Definitely don't want a walking auto turret. Wouldn't surprise me if the first iteration of bandits that makes it to the game is melee and non firearm weapons with projectiles that have travel time.
 

Yeah, you can make them miss, miss after burst shot, miss when you move sideways too fast, define behavior (snipers can just hang behind ak guys etc.). Only annoying problem is that they sometimes clip their detection cone into blocks and shoot you through ground / house walls when they get too close (but at least game is more challenging that way and you risk losing chests / stations if you ignore them).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Zombie armor set DLC confirmed!

The game need horses and after an DLC for Horse-Armor! for just 14.99!!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TWORDY said:

I was referring to VISUAL microtransactions like skins. I`m against any content DLCs (like weapons/vehicles/missions/maps/attachements etc) while the base game is nowhere near polished. I`m againt EAs policy like PREMIUM and pre-orders because at the end of the day even so called triple-A titles feel like Early Access without content. But personally I hate andy microtransaction/dlc business overall because usually this thing breaks performance or causes synchronization issues.

Non-vital content DLC's and skins, are how Paradox Games stays afloat financially.

 

I would hope TFP does that too, so they can work on the Prequel or a part 2 without sweating the financial front-load.

 

**Prequel idea: The Zombie virus has hit and hundreds of million of people have "died" throughout the world.... so far.

Have many various character origins, from starting with a well stocked underground shelter in your back-yard with little survival skills or be a homeless, street-wise, ex-special forces player, facing the full threat head on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the problem with microtransactions is that it's seen as a greedy move from developers, even if it's just visual things. It's understandable when free to play games do it, but yeah, definitely not something players get excited about.

I've even seen game companies say "We don't have microtransactions!" as a marketting move for their games. Says a lot when even game companies look at these things in a bad light.

1 hour ago, Guppys Fur said:

The game need horses and after an DLC for Horse-Armor! for just 14.99!!!

 

 

There's an unused horse texture in the game files... Just sayin' 😏

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's a no win game in the modern age.  If you don't do microtransactions/dlc/expansions you often get accused of "abandoning" a game if you release it, push out some patches, and are then done with it.  If you DO do microtransactions or DLC or expansion passes they call you greedy and accuse you of a cash grab.  People also don't understand the monetization behind microtransactions and why the prices are as high as they usually are.  Reducing your price by 50% does NOT result in 50% more sales, that's not how it works, and since games are a business development must consider ROI (return on investment).

Considering the temperament of the 7 Days to Die community I honestly don't think they should attempt any DLC, expansions, or microtransactions.  The community would tear them apart for it.  It's a fairly....we'll be nice and say "passionate" community already.  IMO TFP should finish 7DTD through release, support it for like a year with some minor patches, and then move on to a new project.  Since the community is not going to be ok with additional funding methods it kinda forces their hand on that.  We'll blame them of course and accuse them of abandoning it, but the reality is we'll have painted them into the corner on that decision.

It'd be completely unreasonable to say that they should stay to develop the game for very long past release with no viable options of continued monetization.  That's just the tradeoff you accept for no dlc/microtransactions/expansions.

Edited by Ralathar44 (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Roland said:

Real life micro transactions?


How does Snowdog get into every conversation?


Hey,  Micro thumbs are a real thing.   No need to toss around thinly disguised insults to make you feel better about your own thumbs.

24 minutes ago, Ralathar44 said:

It's a no win game in the modern age.  If you don't do microtransactions/dlc/expansions you often get accused of "abandoning" a game if you release it, push out some patches, and are then done with it.  If you DO do microtransactions or DLC or expansion passes they call you greedy and accuse you of a cash grab.  People also don't understand the monetization behind microtransactions and why the prices are as high as they usually are.  Reducing your price by 50% does NOT result in 50% more sales, that's not how it works, and since games are a business development must consider ROI (return on investment).

Considering the temperament of the 7 Days to Die community I honestly don't think they should attempt any DLC, expansions, or microtransactions.  The community would tear them apart for it.  It's a fairly....we'll be nice and say "passionate" community already.  IMO TFP should finish 7DTD through release, support it for like a year with some minor patches, and then move on to a new project.  Since the community is not going to be ok with additional funding methods it kinda forces their hand on that.  We'll blame them of course and accuse them of abandoning it, but the reality is we'll have painted them into the corner on that decision.

It'd be completely unreasonable to say that they should stay to develop the game for very long past release with no viable options of continued monetization.  That's just the tradeoff you accept for no dlc/microtransactions/expansions.


its really not a no win game.  I would never call a game abandoned just because it has no micro transactions.  That makes no sense.  Tons of games that didnt have microtransactions were never considered abandoned, they were considered finished products.

 

Expansion Packs are great when reasonably priced, Grim Dawns Expansions are amazing.  There may not be another expansion for that game,  but I would certainly not call the game abandoned just cause I cant spend 50 cents on a skin.   

Edited by SnowDog1942 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I imagine that there are more than a few people out there (there has to be) that either:
A: Don't know this game exists, and won't know it exists until past Gold.
B: Are waiting until the game gets out of development.

At that point TFP can market the game at full price, and pending those sales, will have the necessary funds to start their next project AND have a small dedicated staff to continue to support this game. If the game does well (I don't know how it couldn't, it's pretty unique) they'll be obligated to continue support. Support could be as simple as maintaining a "mod corner" and putting their stamp of approval on mods done by the community. This won't cost players any money or TFP time and effort and the players get access to unlimited expansions. As long as there is a modding community out there as passionate about this game as there is now, I see a steady stream of new content long after TFP has moved on. The dedicated TFP staff could just fix any major bugs that come up and push minor patches.

Edited by XCOUNTRY
clarified pronouns (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Ralathar44 said:

It's a no win game in the modern age.  If you don't do microtransactions/dlc/expansions you often get accused of "abandoning" a game if you release it, push out some patches, and are then done with it.  If you DO do microtransactions or DLC or expansion passes they call you greedy and accuse you of a cash grab.  People also don't understand the monetization behind microtransactions and why the prices are as high as they usually are.  Reducing your price by 50% does NOT result in 50% more sales, that's not how it works, and since games are a business development must consider ROI (return on investment).

Considering the temperament of the 7 Days to Die community I honestly don't think they should attempt any DLC, expansions, or microtransactions.  The community would tear them apart for it.  It's a fairly....we'll be nice and say "passionate" community already.  IMO TFP should finish 7DTD through release, support it for like a year with some minor patches, and then move on to a new project.  Since the community is not going to be ok with additional funding methods it kinda forces their hand on that.  We'll blame them of course and accuse them of abandoning it, but the reality is we'll have painted them into the corner on that decision.

It'd be completely unreasonable to say that they should stay to develop the game for very long past release with no viable options of continued monetization.  That's just the tradeoff you accept for no dlc/microtransactions/expansions.

I personally don't view Micro-transaction in the same light as DLC content.

I view Micro-transactions as: loot boxes, vanity fare, gear/items that can give you an advantage over another player in a competitive environment. Along with: locked content behind a paywall, that they already have in the game, on its full release. Along with, content that you must purchase in order to experience the full game.  

 

DLC's: I view as content, that you can purchase that extends the games life, that they developed after the fact. Content that doesn't give one player a distinct advantage over another, in a competitive environment. Among other things..

 

Again with the No. You may blame/accuse them, or someone else may blame/accuse them, but not all will.

If they feel that is what they need to do as a company to get the revenue? I won't blame them.

I just won't be playing any of their games from that point on. Others will, I am sure. 

Edited by Tin (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2020 at 1:27 AM, Roland said:

Without AI they would just stand there...

 

Just call trees and cacti "Bandits" and you've got your A19 bandits with zero AI...

Hopefully we will get some friendly AI soon. Like at the traders post. 

6 hours ago, Roland said:

Real life micro transactions?


How does Snowdog get into every conversation?

Um because people always talk about him.  lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...