Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

49 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

just go outside and Eat the frog. no need to cook it!

You could probably learn by doing that.

32 minutes ago, pregnable said:

I do often think the zombie damage is too high vs blocks, and I kinda miss frantically repairing boarded windows while trying to survive in a crappy wood base during a horde.  It is not really a big deal though, and I am not sure how you would fix it. 

Turn down the setting AI block damage.

20 minutes ago, Xtrakicking said:

You can't possibly know how such a change would affect development because bandits aren't even in the game yet, and there's no way to know how players with different builds will play against them beyond assumptions. For all we know, knives might just be the best meele against them, especially with the bleeding effect, since you can stay away from the line of fire while that takes care of them.

Look I don't need the exact implementation of bandits to know that they are humans using human weapons.  Unless something really weird happens they'll move faster than zombies by default and will have ranged weapons.  It'd be super weird for us to be a walking Rambo arsenal and no bandits to have bows/guns.  This means that melee WILL be far less effective vs them than vs zombies unless the game cheats heavily in our favor by not allowing them to have ranged weapons, balancing their ranged damage pitifully low, making their melee hits not apply effects to us (stun/bleed/knockdown), etc.

Even if they were all glass cannons with melee then using melee against them would be ill advised unless their damage vs you is pitiful, which it wouldn't be on warrior+ difficulty levels.  To get an approximation of the difference turn zombies on to "always sprint" for both day and night on whatever difficulty you play on (at least Nomad though).  The primary method of survival in 7DTD isn't killing things, it's avoiding damage and avoiding putting yourself in risky situations.  When you cannot control your engagements, melee becomes a risky situation.  This is the case until you get higher levels of regen + armor, which trivializes basically all incoming damage on Nomad and lower and eliminates basically all risk from melee.  End game regen + armor a bit OP at lower difficulty levels where zombie damage is low, especially since you can heal large chunks of health while being beaten to death.  It's more well balanced for higher difficulties though.

24 minutes ago, madmole said:

Turn down the setting AI block damage.

Nah, like I said it is not really an issue. 

I was just suggesting zombie events and making conversation. 

The game is pretty good the way it is and I am just waiting to play the crap out of the next update, and I had not posted recently. 

1 minute ago, Ralathar44 said:

SNIP

All that is still assumptions till bandits are implemented. Maybe by maxing out your build, melee stops being ill advised for bandits, and the bleeding effect is kickass. There's just no way to know. They might even come up with something better against zombies and leave bleeding to humans, or maybe not. Only the devs know, and when the game goes gold, we'll see what they came up with and what they thought was worth changing. Until then, I won't keep from giving feedback just because "it might be too much of a hussle".

1 minute ago, Xtrakicking said:

They might even come up with something better against zombies and leave bleeding to humans, or maybe not.

That's literally what I said would need to happen in the first response I made when you were making your original argument of  "None of that changes if the knife has the bleeding bonus added to bandits. It would actually make the Agility build more interesting, if you're looking for a set of weapons that's better against human NPCs rather than zombies (and also make the game more immersive).  "Should I go with the Strength build to fight zombies better? Or should I go with agility and cause bleeding damage to those pesky bandits?"

this weapon will come to A19, (i think so anyways) i just wanted to post it to help put it on the main page of Alpha 19 (the area with all the pics)

its the Tactical Assault Rifle, the Tier 2 AR, you can kinda play with it if you have cheat mode and go into Dev section, you should find it next to the AK but it has a Question mark as the icon. you can uses it but it has no sound and some things are bugged out but its usable!

https://twitter.com/joelhuenink/status/1142188975982960640/photo/1    link here

17 minutes ago, Ralathar44 said:

That's literally what I said would need to happen in the first response I made when you were making your original argument of  "None of that changes if the knife has the bleeding bonus added to bandits. It would actually make the Agility build more interesting, if you're looking for a set of weapons that's better against human NPCs rather than zombies (and also make the game more immersive).  "Should I go with the Strength build to fight zombies better? Or should I go with agility and cause bleeding damage to those pesky bandits?"

Yes, so? My point is that It's all just assumptions till we see what the devs come up with. You can't just say such a change is too much because it may be easier to do than you think, especially considering that bandit gameplay isn't even a thing yet.

Again, best to wait and see. At this point, it's a dead horse we're beating on. Well, some would say it's an "infected" horse. I don't know anymore.

13 minutes ago, Xtrakicking said:

Yes, so? My point is that It's all just assumptions till we see what the devs come up with. You can't just say such a change is too much because it may be easier to do than you think, especially considering that bandit gameplay isn't even a thing yet.

Again, best to wait and see. At this point, it's a dead horse we're beating on. Well, some would say it's an "infected" horse. I don't know anymore.

I mean you made your own assumptions, I made mine, that seems fair IMO.  If you don't want that kind of conversation then don't start it :D.  If you want to have a different opinion, that's fine, but play by your own rules.

1 minute ago, Ralathar44 said:

I mean you made your own assumptions, I made mine, that seems fair IMO.  If you don't want that kind of conversation then don't start it :D.  If you want to have a different opinion, that's fine, but play by your own rules.

You're the one who said the change was too much of a hussle and then wrote down a bunch of assumptions on bandit combat to use as reasons why... I don't think you're understanding the conversation.

6 minutes ago, Xtrakicking said:

You're the one who said the change was too much of a hussle and then wrote down a bunch of assumptions on bandit combat to use as reasons why... I don't think you're understanding the conversation.

This was all in response to your original reply to Fataal of "None of that changes if the knife has the bleeding bonus added to bandits. It would actually make the Agility build more interesting, if you're looking for a set of weapons that's better against human NPCs rather than zombies (and also make the game more immersive).  "Should I go with the Strength build to fight zombies better? Or should I go with agility and cause bleeding damage to those pesky bandits?"

Which is a statement bearing several assumptions.  You assume nothing would change, you assume it would make the build more interesting, you assume it would make it better against bandits than against zombies, etc.  You know none of those things because they are all theoretical changes.  Things that sound good n your head but may not necessarily play out that way in practice. 

Play by your own rules.

25 minutes ago, Ralathar44 said:

This was all in response to your original reply to Fataal of "None of that changes if the knife has the bleeding bonus added to bandits. It would actually make the Agility build more interesting, if you're looking for a set of weapons that's better against human NPCs rather than zombies (and also make the game more immersive).  "Should I go with the Strength build to fight zombies better? Or should I go with agility and cause bleeding damage to those pesky bandits?"

Which is a statement bearing several assumptions.  You assume nothing would change, you assume it would make the build more interesting, you assume it would make it better against bandits than against zombies, etc.  You know none of those things because they are all theoretical changes.  Things that sound good n your head but may not necessarily play out that way in practice. 

My statement was a suggestion. Yes, one that was based on an assumption, but the devs are the only ones that could possibly know how easy it is to implement or not. The difference here, that you're failing to see, is that in your statement you're completely disregarding the change as one that's too complicated to make, using assumptions on things we don't know yet, saying that I could argue my position better when in reality none of us but the devs know how hard it is to implement.

I play by my own rules, but it really just seems like you're just blurting out "that won't work!" statements for no real reason.

52 minutes ago, Xtrakicking said:

My statement was a suggestion. Yes, one that was based on an assumption, but the devs are the only ones that could possibly know how easy it is to implement or not. The difference here, that you're failing to see, is that in your statement you're completely disregarding the change as one that's too complicated to make, using assumptions on things we don't know yet, saying that I could argue my position better when in reality none of us but the devs know how hard it is to implement.

I not only never said that but that's directly against my core beliefs in game development.  In general there is no such thing as too complicated to make in game development.  Only a question of resources, ROI, and budget.  The idea of "you can't do that in a game" or "you can't make that fun" are things things I push back against because gaming has proven all of those concepts wrong far too many times.

5 minutes ago, Erik Louden said:

"Up to half of the world's population is infected by toxoplasmosis, but have no symptoms."

And then it mutates to the Zvirus

and when they get the infection they do what they did in their past life, only from habit and thats to get into a game forum... they dont know what to logically do but their infected brain tells them it was what they used to do.

there you go.. start of the next game series :)

I have grown to really like the gyrocopter.

It was a bit hard to get the hang of at first but after a couple of hours swearing and raging at the futility of life I got the hang of it.

Now all I need is to be able to carry a snake and I have the full Mad Max vibe!

1 hour ago, faatal said:

That is one of the more realistic parts of the game. :devilish: 

Hah try Rusts, now that takes some serious practice. It pretty much kills you when it goes down unless you bail at the right time and get far enough away it explodes. You don't craft them though,  they spawn randomly so they can be brutal about it. Pretty rewarding once you master it though, but it is literally 50x harder than ours.

Archived