Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

10 minutes ago, Xtrakicking said:

Wouldn't it be way easier to consider them dead and reserve the bleeding for bandits? Would solve many problems, including them being burnt but still walking, and them breathing underwater, and yadda yadda.

Notes found at the Red Mesa facility.....

.....tremely troubling. I can't condone his actions but I do have to admit it was very revealing. When the subject was forcibly submerged she instinctively held her breath for more than an hour before she successfully tore apart the restraining framework and punched a hole in the side of the tank which caused the water level to recede to the point that her head was above water again. She immediately and noticeably begain breathing and making the distinctive moans and growls we have become accustomed to hearing from them. This seems to go back to how the brain and the heart are linked and proves that in these infected subjects oxygen is not completely necessary for ongoing brain and organ functionality. I will have to repo.....

• Like 2

thanks joel i couldnt remember where that was. :(

2 minutes ago, Trankitas said:

And here I found myself, looking at Joel's twitter every 20 minutes to see if there are any new photos of A19

shadup... we still trying to figure out how to break your toe so you die in game. :)

Just now, unholyjoe said:

thanks joel i couldnt remember where that was. :(

shadup... we still trying to figure out how to break you toe so you die in game. :)

Instead of making my in-game life impossible, why not creating the new legendary Baseball Bat "Trankitas Toe"

"The toe breaker" Also works.

Edited by Trankitas (see edit history)

2 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

nope... originally once a player was infected he/she had 7 days to get a cure or die. back in the day the infection hit you in 3 stages the first slowed you down (much like me now with arthritis) and the 2nd even more and health slowly ticked down and the 3rd being the final nail for your coffin. antibiotic was rare and or took a long time to make (25 minutes). :) but things have changed since then.

I've played a modded version of infection at one point, in a perma-death game. Infection was not curable, but, for as long as the medicine was working, it would regress. Once the medicine wore off, it would start going up again. So the challenge was ensuring a continuous supply of antibiotics. I got infected on day 4 or 5, if I recall correctly. Stupid zombie raged as I drained my stamina with a power attack, and I couldn't get out of range. Things were dire, but I lucked out on horde night, as a zombie dropped a loot bag with the herbal antibiotics recipe! I died a few minutes later, though. Sometimes I think madmole can peek people's games, and remotely mess up with them.

54 minutes ago, madmole said:

Eating flesh is what makes them feral has always been my lore but we never had the programming staff to warrant coding it in to see it happen in real time. I always wanted in MP to see zombies become feral if they feed on your buddy.

If this could happen someday, that would be incredible!

14 hours ago, stallionsden said:

Zombies are dead in every iteration of the zombie genre no matter which you look at they are dead. Regardless which genre. 

The best zombie book series ever written, Black Tide Rising, has zombies as living, infected people.

For proof of how awesome it is, the first thing the protagonist family does when learning of it is stockpiling toilet paper. Later they find out people who were on cruise ships during the outbreak were really screwed up.

Oh, and they also try very hard not to call the infected "zombies", though they eventually give up -- it's an f-ing zombie apocalypse, who cares if they are dead or alive?

EDIT: No, these books were not written in 2020. :)

Edited by dcsobral (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Please do not discuss console issues or concerns in this thread. I have moved that whole conversation to the console section. If someone brings up the console version here simply report it and we will split it off to a new conversation in the console section. Console players derailing PC development conversation is for Twitter and Facebook...not the A19 development diary.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Roland said:

Please do not discuss console issues or concerns in this thread. I have moved that whole conversation to the console section. If someone brings up the console version here simply report it and we will split it off to a new conversation in the console section. Console players derailing PC development conversation is for Twitter and Facebook...not the A19 development diary.

now be careful of the big beach ball flying around.... wear safety goggles. :)

Just now, Roland said:

My bad, I've been lurking too long and now I don't know how to behave anymore.

15 hours ago, XCOUNTRY said:

Hey I just tested this and can confirm, bleeding kills with barb-wire mod installed do not give XP. (I'll put this in the bug report section)

If you can find it... in fact, if you do, send me a message with the link to it! It disappeared a while ago.

1 hour ago, madmole said:

Eating flesh is what makes them feral has always been my lore but we never had the programming staff to warrant coding it in to see it happen in real time. I always wanted in MP to see zombies become feral if they feed on your buddy.

You uh, can actually do that with the current buff system (Tin has done the XML, I'm working on the Unity side)... I know you don't like to talk about mods, but this fits right in... Tin has made it so that once the zombie "tastes blood" (gets a hit), it mutates into a different zombie; new walk type, stronger, etc. 

We're actually experimenting (successfully!) with showing physical changes as well.  Our proof of concept is that it grows horns, but you can have it do whatever.  Get the eye change color, hell have it grow a second head, doesn't matter. 

...all completely doable through the current buff system.  It's pretty friggin' nice.  And yes, although this is a unity video, it does this in game as well. 😃

Edited by Guppycur (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

You uh, can actually do that with the current buff system (Tin has done the XML, I'm working on the Unity side)... I know you don't like to talk about mods, but this fits right in... Tin has made it so that once the zombie "tastes blood" (gets a hit), it mutates into a different zombie; new walk type, stronger, etc. 

We're actually experimenting (successfully!) with showing physical changes as well.  Our proof of concept is that it grows horns, but you can have it do whatever.  Get the eye change color, hell have it grow a second head, doesn't matter. 

...all completely doable through the current buff system.  It's pretty friggin' nice.  And yes, although this is a unity video, it does this in game as well. 😃

DId you made that "idle animation"? It's pretty smooth

1 hour ago, madmole said:

i always though that was from age, in my mind the feral wight is the End tier for zombies that went feral

say a year a zombie being feral with scars , rads and time they turn into a feral wight. and with others over time depending on who they where they turn into a different zombie.

Lean and athletic = Spider

Fat or obese = Spitter

Young kids = Screamer

super amounts of Rads, time and zombies being feral for awhile = Feral wight

43 minutes ago, CarlCastello said:

If this could happen someday, that would be incredible!

Indeed! We already have an animation of zombies eating your corpse. It would be cool to find a group of zombies eating a corpse in the middle of a road, or even in POIs, and have them all be feral. Doesn't seem too hard to do.

17 hours ago, Guppycur said:

Well, because by that logic, the wounds they took (some have pretty blatant open wounds) would have led to blood loss long ago.

It's not that they die. The loss of "blood" makes it impossible for their bodies to keep moving, so they go into a vegetative state until their supernatural powers regenerate their arteries and veins, and restores the evil infusion that runs through them, and they can get up again. By that time, you'll be long gone, so the game awards you XP as if you had permanently disabled that zombie. Sometimes, though, they happen to recover super fast, raise and go back after you, something players often incorrectly interpret as the game spawning a zombie behind you. In fact, sometimes that the recover happens right at the moment you are walking towards them, something which players often incorrectly interpret as the game spawning a zombie in front of you. It does get a bit confusing, as the game hides the bodies littered everywhere, to make it clear which are the active threats.

Sounds far fetched? Go read Anne Rice's vampire books.

15 minutes ago, Trankitas said:

DId you made that "idle animation"? It's pretty smooth

That's either a mocap I found or a vanilla idle anim; I stay away from making entity movement anims, they're far too complicated and there are waaaay too many free/cheap ones out there I can use.

6 minutes ago, Xtrakicking said:

Indeed! We already have an animation of zombies eating your corpse. It would be cool to find a group of zombies eating a corpse in the middle of a road, or even in POIs, and have them all be feral. Doesn't seem too hard to do.

Yeh just use onSelfKilledOther on the zombie, and if that trigger works on zombies, that's when you'd fire the buff that makes the change.  Add another animation after the feed animation in the controller, call it a day.

Edited by Guppycur (see edit history)
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, stallionsden said:

Well actually its nerves that still function not muscles. Maybe need to research how the body functions. Muscle will turn to fat and fat will disintegrate. 

The brain more so the brain stem since it the only part alive sends impulses thru the nerves which move the body. Your muscles dont actually move body parts.  The only part that does that is the penis.  Which is muscle stimulated via nerves as well. As well as  your tongue which  is pure muscle. 

When a zombie eats it replenishes and diminishes the need so much to feed cause it needs to feed to keep the nerves going and the brain stem going. A zombie that doesnt eat will die eventually from not eating as the nerves and brain stem will die again. 

Same when you die in real life your muscle turns to fat your blood solidifies and dissipates. As well as body rots and decays etc. Eventually your body is just skeleton. Nothing magical about how the body works if ya know what your talking about...

Zombies are dead in every iteration of the zombie genre no matter which you look at they are dead. Regardless which genre. 

Anything that isnt dead is still alive and thus not classified as a zombie. Already explained the workings of the body after "death" and how a zombie would move after "death"

If part of it is alive, then it is ALIVE. I don't care if it has dead limbs, bolt on tentacles or is a Cyberman, it is alive. If zombie lore says it is completely dead, then that is magic, because completely dead things don't move intelligently on their own. The reality is, if there were real zombies they would be rabid/insane/crazed/drugged, decaying people. You can find some of those in real life. Entertainment just takes it to extremes.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Xtrakicking said:

would also be cool as a "sleeper" animation instead of lying around feasting on a corpse

4 minutes ago, faatal said:

If part of it is alive, then it is ALIVE. I don't care if it has dead limbs, bolt on tentacles or is a Cyberman, it is alive. If zombie lore says it is completely dead, then that is magic, because completely dead things don't move intelligently on their own. The reality is, if there were real zombies they would be rabid/insane/crazed/drugged, decaying people. You can find some of those in real life. Entertainment just takes it to extremes.

When people talk about zombies being dead, they mean they are rotting corpses. Their guts spilling out, their bones showing, their skin torn up or burnt to a crisp, etc. As to why they still walk if the person is dead, it goes from witchcraft to some sort of disease that affects the brain, and most of the times headshots are the only thing that takes them out. This is what he's referring to.

Edited by Xtrakicking (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, faatal said:

Huh... Fellow Whovian here ?^^

1 minute ago, unholyjoe said:

me thinking an old cult movie "Metroplis" had a cyberman (even tho it was a woman) way before dr who.... oh and i really like dr who. :)

Oh, Metropolis is a movie i havent seen yet, too much fear of beeing dissapointed. Have a relation with Cult Movies.

And Hey, Dr. Who originates in 1963. not that young too :) Allons-Y

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic