Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

10 minutes ago, stallionsden said:

Urgh the muscle decays to fat and the dissappears  its nerves i stated over and over its the nerves that move. Thanks i finished agesbago but you kept replying.  

Yup, that's my bad, I apologize.  You were right about every little aspect.  Nerves move the body, muscles don't at all.  I should have never disagreed with you. It's over.  Ages ago.

24 minutes ago, stallionsden said:

Zombies are dead in every iteration of the zombie genre no matter which you look at they are dead. Regardless which genre. 

Anything that isnt dead is still alive and thus not classified as a zombie. Already explained the workings of the body after "death" and how a zombie would move after "death"

That's not completely correct.  There are a few movies (and franchises) in which not dead, but infected, people are referred to as zombies.  The movie 28 Days Later, which MadMole has said 7D2D borrows from, is infected people, which are referred to by a lot of people as zombies.

And, you could state, that some people, including the director himself has said they are not zombies, but many others would say that maybe the word zombie is like the words literally and ironic.  They used to mean one thing, and now they almost mean something very different.  And, maybe unfortuantely, the new definitions are appearing in dictionaries, so...

People change.  Language evolves.  And TFP can call the antogonists anything they want - even if it's a new definition of an existing word.  (Especially if they believe some/any/most people could/would identify with their term and might help sales.)

2 minutes ago, Quantum Blue said:

That's not completely correct.  There are a few movies (and franchises) in which not dead, but infected, people are referred to as zombies.  The movie 28 Days Later, which MadMole has said 7D2D borrows from, is infected people, which are referred to by a lot of people as zombies.

And, you could state, that some people, including the director himself has said they are not zombies, but many others would say that maybe the word zombie is like the words literally and ironic.  They used to mean one thing, and now they almost mean something very different.  And, maybe unfortuantely, the new definitions are appearing in dictionaries, so...

People change.  Language evolves.  And TFP can call the antogonists anything they want - even if it's a new definition of an existing word.  (Especially if they believe some/any/most people could/would identify with their term and might help sales.)

if the director of a movie states they are not zombies then they are not zombies. what some may put them as is completely wrong and then distracts from what the director was trying to accomplish from the movie. thus brings back to the point they arent zombies as to what the director stated.

2 minutes ago, Quantum Blue said:

Walkers, Zeds, Necrophage, the undead, Abominations, the Scourge, Dead Heads, Freakers, Geeks, Ghouls, Infected, Lurkers, Meat Bags, Monsters, Mudo, Noob, Necrotics, Risen, Rotters, Runners, Shufflers, Stiffs, Them, The Living Dead, The Ressurected, The Unconsecrated, The Unmentionables, V-ACT, Whiskey Deltas, Zekes, ZQN.

There are alot of different names for zombies and different ones after have unique characteristics.

15 minutes ago, stallionsden said:

if the director of a movie states they are not zombies then they are not zombies. what some may put them as is completely wrong and then distracts from what the director was trying to accomplish from the movie. thus brings back to the point they arent zombies as to what the director stated.

Exactly!  So if MM/TFP wants to call the antagonists Zombies - they can!

From almost any dictionary:

INFORMAL
a person who is or appears lifeless, apathetic, or completely unresponsive to their surroundings.

From yahoo:

The term is now used to describe a fictional being, a reanimated body which has no goal other than the need to eat the flesh of the living.

The term will come to mean whatever a great deal of people want it to mean.

(Just like literally and ironic.)

58 minutes ago, stallionsden said:

Btw - I only put the director part in there because some people claim that Danny Boyle's 28 Days movies (3rd is in the works) are not zombie movies or that he has said they are not.  And I can't find anything that supports that.  But I can find where he, himself has said he wanted to 'burst it, exploit it' in regards to the 'Zombie genre'.  So, Danny Boyle has already started redefining what Zombie means.

Found after posting above:  Danny DOES refer to the infected in his movies as zombies:  (well he does/did in 2017 anyways)

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/28-days-later-director-danny-boyle-explains-the-surprising-inspirations-for-his-speedy-zombies-122308686.html

So, not all zombies are 'revived' dead.

24 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

I have the perfect solution.  TFP's should just call them Zambies.  Problem solved!  They then can mount lasers to their foreheads for dynamic gameplay reasons lol...

And maybe people could start saying 'laterally' instead of 'literally'...  (for when they don't mean 'literally' literally...)

Laterally.

; - )

I’m just glad that this thread is so active again. Plus we purged so much we can count this as only the 100th time we’ve had the “Are they zombies?” discussion. 

(They are and ya’ll are totally disregarding the ALIEN factor)

6 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

I have the perfect solution.  TFP's should just call them Zambies.  Problem solved!  They then can mount lasers to their foreheads for dynamic gameplay reasons lol...

Yes...the a is for alien dna... Zambies

The official Zombie detection method is:

1) Shoot the suspected zombie, center mass.

2) If they sing this song, they're most likely a zombie:

"You broke my heaart, or maybe that's my liver.

I really cant telll, because they both kinda quiver."

Then you can be 64.7% sure you got a zombie!  Hope this helps.

9 hours ago, Blake_ said:

I agree that a bleeding bonus doesn't make sense on an entity with open and mortal wounds . Knifes would be better suited with some kind of critical damage to undead entities and bleeding as it is now should be left exclusively for living , breathing entities like animals and human npcs.

Also, bleeding deaths caused by the player  should give XP. Less so the bleeding ones  from traps.

Thanks Captain Obvious

9 hours ago, Blake_ said:

No. Deaths caused by bleeding do not give XP in A18.4 b4 (knife, barbed wire mod, etc) .

Trap deaths do. But only if they kill from the hit, not the bleeding buff . And not ALL traps give xp (that one is by design).

I just skip several pages of blah, blah blah. Will add my 2cents tho. Its been awhile, but just go with Return of the Living Dead. Toxic chemicals. If I remember she died. But was still walking around doing things and cutting herself sticking pins in her flesh to try to feel and still bled.

Just now, Dethar said:

I just skip several pages of blah, blah blah. Will add my 2cents tho. Its been awhile, but just go with Return of the Living Dead. Toxic chemicals. If I remember she died. But was still walking around doing things and cutting herself sticking pins in her flesh to try to feel and still bled.

Skipping Discussion, disregarding other peoples input and opinions as "blah, blah blah" while still feeling the need to give your own 2 cents.

Awesome Forum Etiquette, good Sir.

3 minutes ago, Guppys Fur said:

Skipping Discussion, disregarding other peoples input and opinions as "blah, blah blah" while still feeling the need to give your own 2 cents.

Awesome Forum Etiquette, good Sir.

To be fair that's what most people do not only to the thread but to each other's posts.  I'd say it's positively normal.  As is asserting oneself as if they are far more knowledgable about an area than they are and ad hominems.  All are bog standard for forum discussions.  It's just how forums are and have been, since the days of of old 56k message boards and beyond.  There is a reason this site exists:  http://www.flamewarriorsguide.com/  That's old school :).

19 minutes ago, Ralathar44 said:

To be fair that's what most people do not only to the thread but to each other's posts.  I'd say it's positively normal.  As is asserting oneself as if they are far more knowledgable about an area than they are and ad hominems.  All are bog standard for forum discussions.  It's just how forums are and have been, since the days of of old 56k message boards and beyond.  There is a reason this site exists:  http://www.flamewarriorsguide.com/  That's old school :).

some people are more knowledgeable tho in some areas opposed to others tho thats a fact. so redundant.

but we come a long way since 56k message boards lol.

After the first page it was just blah, blah, blah, because it was just the same thing over and over with no new point over again just worded differently. To be fair there we're new point occasionally. Mine may have been said already, as I skipped alot.

4 hours ago, faatal said:

Zombies are not dead, since dead creatures cannot move without some force acting on them. If they are dead, then it must be the hive mind using telekinesis to move them about.

I know!

The zombie virus should be like a swollen brain thing that makes them do crasy shit. The main quest should end with finding the cure to bring them back, so you would feel guilty for all the zombies you killed before. :D:D:D

Science-fiction vs Hard Science-fiction are both valid literary forms.

The first being less Science and more Fiction, the later trying to use accepted science as much as possible.

However they are both fiction.  Arguing over who's fiction is better... oh wait!  A19 coming out soon and people are venting out their stress.

Please continue!  :)

52 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

Science-fiction vs Hard Science-fiction are both valid literary forms.

The first being less Science and more Fiction, the later trying to use accepted science as much as possible.

However they are both fiction.  Arguing over who's fiction is better... oh wait!  A19 coming out soon and people are venting out their stress.

Please continue!  :)

No one is saying one type of fiction is better than the other, just that in all types of fiction there are contradictions and inconsistencies that are distracting.

As for zombies, they don't have to be dead necessarily. Left 4 Dead has infected people, and it's one of the most renowned zombie games out there.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived