Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Most models in the game have 2 or 3 lower LODs. We are moving to 2 (was usually 3) lower LODs for zombies. Each are about half the verts/tris. Modern GPUs eat verts for lunch, which is why I saw no performance decrease when I first tested the new Arlene model. Pixels are generally the bottleneck, which comes down to pixel shader complexity and screen resolution.

Lowest-end GPU you're testing for playability on? I run middle shadows (none reflected), SSAO, low SS reflections, without those night time just feels wrong. My 1060/3GB handles that just fine at 720p with all the view distances cranked to their limits, the steady and dramatic performance improvements these last few drops have been just soooo gratifying, if you're going to take them away, tell me now please.

My guess is EXP will come out mid/late May,perhaps early June.

Guess again. A19 b145 is the most likely candidate. They are around b109. It seems like since the a18's dev team is finally happily together, they are mathematically more predictable, so they do about 0.6078 builds per day ( nerd fact! ). That's July 2 at the latest. End of June. MM seems to be correct.

These assumptions are not taking into account the fact that in testing fase they speed up builds to almost 1.5 per day nor hardcore bugs. That would result in.... still end of June. Because stuff happens.

I think A17 is when anim syncing changed, does caching and that has some delay in it, so a zombie playing an attack anim is potentially delayed on the client even more from that.

The range, delays and interpolation all need to be reevaluated. AI close to a player should have a higher priority for sending packets to that client with little to no delay. Should not be that hard to improve.

If you improve this i will put your picture on my bedroom ceiling :)

Lowest-end GPU you're testing for playability on? I run middle shadows (none reflected), SSAO, low SS reflections, without those night time just feels wrong. My 1060/3GB handles that just fine at 720p with all the view distances cranked to their limits, the steady and dramatic performance improvements these last few drops have been just soooo gratifying, if you're going to take them away, tell me now please.

For horrible testing I use a HD 5770. Modern low end I use a RX 570. Not doing low end testing on A19 yet. I'm not worried about it. That is why we have lower LODs and we can always make more.

That sounds creepy. You are supposed to give me positive reinforcement to fix stuff. How about, if I fix it, you won't put up my picture.

We all know your picture is already up there. Best extor...er...motivation would be to have it removed...

@madmole, any chance when the new building radials are done, we'll have a full set of frames available for wood, metal and rebar? Or, is it intended to not have all available shapes in the building menus? Can't wait for some new artwork and videos, especially a few of yours showing off new features! A19 seems to be a major graphical overhaul, it should be like playing a new game again.

it looks like he is eating his own mustache XD

also looks cool! is that what the new Shades, Duster and Cowboy hat going to look like too?

@madmole, any chance when the new building radials are done, we'll have a full set of frames available for wood, metal and rebar? Or, is it intended to not have all available shapes in the building menus? Can't wait for some new artwork and videos, especially a few of yours showing off new features! A19 seems to be a major graphical overhaul, it should be like playing a new game again.

New building menus will happen later, we're going to do it once and do it right, not doing interim steps using clunky current block shape setups.

Although we haven't done any really massive builds so far in A18 we have built a fair bit and the one thing I have found that is almost useless is the table saw.

Is it still going to be a thing in A19 and if so why ;)

I really like the multiple block shape system using the "R" key. It makes building a far more enjoyable and IMO more creative process.

And yes we are still racking up the hours in A18 and very much enjoying our 6 - 7 hours a day.

Maybe one of the best games made this decade... maybe? ;) (flame on)

Although we haven't done any really massive builds so far in A18 we have built a fair bit and the one thing I have found that is almost useless is the table saw.

Is it still going to be a thing in A19 and if so why ;)

I really like the multiple block shape system using the "R" key. It makes building a far more enjoyable and IMO more creative process.

And yes we are still racking up the hours in A18 and very much enjoying our 6 - 7 hours a day.

Maybe one of the best games made this decade... maybe? ;) (flame on)

Tablesaws are just deco in POIs.

Archived