Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

I don't like that graphic style, I prefer a more realistic look. I hate borderlands.

I need open world, RPG or survival, (preferably both), first person. I can do RTS overhead games, but don't care for diablo iso games really or side scrollers. Oblivion changed me forever lol.

Try SATISFACTORY..coming to STEAM this month...its addictive!!

Trader Jen packed up and moved out of her post in the wasteland. She now resides in a better place. Not George Jefferson better but still.....a little better....

Good to hear, thanks.

Don't worry, I'll track her down.

Faatal, that head looking thingy (technical term :) ) Will that extend to players characters? If I am standing on a wall and another player looks up at me will their head tilt up like a zombies will?

If it already does that in game sorry. I haven't played a MP game in a while.

No plans for players.

How's that compared to her current iteration?

Old Arlene was 2478 verts, 3840 tris, but I can't look at the textures, since they are no longer in the project, but probably not much bigger. That is the highest LOD. Each lower LOD is about half.

Old Arlene was 2478 verts, 3840 tris, but I can't look at the textures, since they are no longer in the project, but probably not much bigger. That is the highest LOD. Each lower LOD is about half.

Does that mean that the new Zds perform worse than the old ones?

Try SATISFACTORY..coming to STEAM this month...its addictive!!

I saw an interesting video of that game. It probably would be a fun few sessions but not sure how long it would hold my interest. Felt like a giant sandbox game where they just threw in a bunch of do dads to play with to see what you could combine/link together. Is there some sort of coherent story/progression in that one?

Yes there is a typo...It should read "May I see your ...........inventory...." :)

Jen's lines completely show that she`s flirting with the player. Why can't we get a flirty Rekt? That's just sexist.

-Rekt: Now that we are done doing bussiness, get the **** out of here.

-Snowdog: I .... understand. -*Gets dressed* -

ew...

Do you have a LOD for those models? Sounds relatively expensive when in larger groups.

Most models in the game have 2 or 3 lower LODs. We are moving to 2 (was usually 3) lower LODs for zombies. Each are about half the verts/tris. Modern GPUs eat verts for lunch, which is why I saw no performance decrease when I first tested the new Arlene model. Pixels are generally the bottleneck, which comes down to pixel shader complexity and screen resolution.

Hey @faatal, I know you're probably sick of this question, but... is fixing the large melee range still in scope for A19?

Any particular weapon you referring to? Also, SP vs MP or no difference?

Here is a "showswings" distance check (SP) and if anything the player has more reach then the zombies do. In this picture I actually landed a hit on the zed although the none of the blobs lit up green. Aside from MP latency, my gut tells me the discrepancy people are feeling (e.g. OMG how did I miss) has something to do with the swing animation of certain weapns (sledges?) / size of the melee weapon in 1st person vs. its actual raycast (that the correct terminology?)

mqocp0w.jpg

The game is settled in a fictional/apocalyptic Arizona Area, so no Jungle. Also would waste way too much ressources to do properly. Hopefully in 7 Days 2.

Also such big requests are better suited in the Thread "pimp Dreams"

Madmole stated twice in the last weeks, that Doors get a revisit soonish. Also he said they added tons of Decorational stuff, so there is hope for tables.

With you on Point 3.

With you on Point 4. :)

O right, the Arizona thingy. Forgot about that...

Yay Madmole and devteam!

Should probably visit the forum bit more often :p

I might have a look, is it better than No Man's Sky?

My first response was enormous, sry for the wall of text. Let me try again:

Yes, is better, imho, although very different kind of gameplay in many ways.

- Survival isn't all that survivaly, mainly a hunt for ores and challenge of making the vehicles to assist in that pursuit. You will curse at physics, challenging but fun.

- Enemies do exist, but mostly as AI driven vehicles/drones. The other AIs, wolves and spiders, are silly. How many of each you encounter depends on how game is set up, starting world, difficulty, etc.

- Builds can easily reach a scale much larger than 7DTD, mining can get hardcore. Structural Integrity is not a thing, but block damage is.

- Overall is a very interesting take on Voxel world building I think you'd find interesting. And they do a good job of integrating with the Steam Workshop for mod support.

There, much better than the wall of text I doubt you read, my bad.

Any particular weapon you referring to? Also, SP vs MP or no difference?

Here is a "showswings" distance check (SP) and if anything the player has more reach then the zombies do. In this picture I actually landed a hit on the zed although the none of the blobs lit up green. Aside from MP latency, my gut tells me the discrepancy people are feeling (e.g. OMG how did I miss) has something to do with the swing animation of certain weapns (sledges?) / size of the melee weapon in 1st person vs. its actual raycast (that the correct terminology?)

mqocp0w.jpg

No weapon in particular, and multiplayer (PvE). I had no issue with it a couple of alphas ago, where it felt intuitive; your range (and the zombies) was shorter. You knew where to stand to hit the target and where to stand to avoid being hit, which meant it was easy to judge when to backpedal and when to go in for the attack.

damn. ether way i can'play it if it comes out this week/next week, due to my wifi extender breaking :/

Wifi is probably better now, but I only wifi on my phone or I am going to be moving around with my laptop. When I started using video streaming 15 years ago it was terrible on wifi. So I tried a powerline adapter and still use it today. Will probably be cheaper than extender. Haven't priced on in 15 years tho.

No weapon in particular, and multiplayer (PvE). I had no issue with it a couple of alphas ago, where it felt intuitive; your range (and the zombies) was shorter. You knew where to stand to hit the target and where to stand to avoid being hit, which meant it was easy to judge when to backpedal and when to go in for the attack.

Maybe it's the new rage mechanic throwing you off? Will be hard for the devs to adjust with only subjective feedback.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived