Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Does this include hatches?

I'm mainly talking about POI doors. No more breaking one door with 300 hit points only for another one with 200 to take its place. But yeah probably player doors too. All the doors need an art pass.

Need to make room for bandits and special infected and I didn't say we won't add more zombies that make sense. You guys want more zombie variety, well it can't be a football player, but it could be something much more believable and that is called bang for your buck. I can guarantee you ever new player will never even see a football player, but everyone will see more gen pop zombies. So we're removing some snowflakes to make room for stuff that makes sense. The stripper will be a gal in a dress because its stupid to make a zombie only good in one POI in the game. Nurse will wear scrubs instead of a party nurse cosplay outfit. Won't feel out of place anywhere then IMO.

Makes sense.

What of the Hawaiian shirt zombie?

Need to make room for bandits and special infected and I didn't say we won't add more zombies that make sense. You guys want more zombie variety, well it can't be a football player, but it could be something much more believable and that is called bang for your buck. I can guarantee you ever new player will never even see a football player, but everyone will see more gen pop zombies. So we're removing some snowflakes to make room for stuff that makes sense. The stripper will be a gal in a dress because its stupid to make a zombie only good in one POI in the game. Nurse will wear scrubs instead of a party nurse cosplay outfit. Won't feel out of place anywhere then IMO.

I think this is really good, actually. It'll make the experience more immersive, because the zombies won't feel out of place, so long as there's enough zombie variety.

I'm quite content with these new changes to the zombies. Keep it up! :)

Ya the destruction phases are cool, just wish that you could shoot or melee through them holes.

So we can get some licks in before this happens.

giphy.gif

Possible with a better collider. That's me when I can't workout for some reason lol.

Ya the destruction phases are cool, just wish that you could shoot or melee through them holes.

So we can get some licks in before this happens.

giphy.gif

Thats kind of what wood/iron bars are for though? And I also do the classic multiple scrap hatches thing for a three-ply door that I can open in a way to attack incoming zombies on the door.

(Outer defense staging layer of a pillbox in front of an apartment building I based in on one of my worlds. Ended up with 3 blade traps where I was standing and electric fencing strung about everywhere)

Generally, if you use centered bars turned diagonally, and ramps on their side to match, you can easily shoot the zombies on the other side of a door as is, using current building systems and totally circumvent the issue of zombies and doors. That and well, using hatch doors as half-doors

several screenshots of a previous staging area in front of my old base that was smashing horde nights

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/693714466222768181/703414743293231154/20191011231631_1.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/693714466222768181/703414766689058937/20191012214703_1.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/693714466222768181/703414835257278514/20191012214847_1.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/693714466222768181/703414872968527933/20191013130415_1.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/693714466222768181/703415124811055104/20191231195610_1.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/693714466222768181/703415224417648691/20191014202709_1.jpg

Oh no we're not doing the zoom to the head bs, just a fov zoom on the trader so it feels more personal when you talk with them. Its cool.

Lol...zoom to the head bs...never really thought about it too much. It does have quirks tho. For example, in banner lord, when you have a dialogue with anyone it does that zoom in which is nice for immersion but without lip syncing, facial expressions, and voices it's a bit diminished.

There was a funny bug where after defeating an enemy lord he would have the biggest smile you have ever seen like he was excited to be captured. They patched that one quickly lol...

I'ma hold you to it. :)

I might have a look, is it better than No Man's Sky?

It's more of a builder than No Man's Sky(aside from all the new base building stuff in NMS, though that is more modular system than voxel unit based), and the voxel nature/interactivity of the world itself it is a bit more relevant to gameplay than NMS, minus all the wildlife, not it's strongpoint/focus. The focus is mostly on vehicle building, slanted mostly towards space vehicles, but also ground vehicles and atmospheric flight. Also decent for some types of buildings, but mostly like space stations and capital class ships, especially now that they finally added some interior decoration. The mining is interesting, fun now that I have a reason to in my survival game, no real point in creative, except to get H2 for hydrogen thrusters(most powerful and work in both space and atmosphere). Some of the ores are rare, but you get little bits from meteor strikes, find boulders of some, and eventually find deposits using an ore finder, or in space as deposits on asteroids, again more relevant, very much actually in survival vs creative. Building blocks are in 2 sizes, 2.5 meters(7.5 ft) for big blocks and .5 meters(18 in) for small blocks. The 2 scales don't mix easily, directly but can be done.

The mining can get really hardcore, in my survival game I've been building a huge station in an earth-like planet arctic tundra plain and just finished running my second large-scale rotary mine. The drill heads are about 7.5 ft wide by 22.5 ft long, each. This massive drilling machine had 18 of those badboys in a beam mounted to a rotor at the center. All of that was attached to 2 pistons that expanded 30 feet each. I had to notch it by 1 meter per piston after drilling each layer. The first 20-30 feet were ice(why the tundra env is good), that fed into O2/H2 generators, which I am storing in massive banks of giant tanks, to service(hydrogen fuel and O2) all kinds of ships we build. The next 30-40 feet are stone, that gives me iron, nickel, and silicon.. tons of it. So now I have this 350+ foot hole that is 60 ft deep I'm turning into a hangar in which I can build a comfortably large spaceship for long missions, there are multiple planets in my local solar system I've yet to explore. The first rotary mine resulted in a hole just as big, but twice as deep, 4 pistons. I now have more materials and fuel than I know what to do with... well actually. Expanding/finishing the base plus a significantly sized capital ship with atmospheric/high gravity capabilities and hangars filled with lesser small block ships are now a possibility, and will use tons of that up.

But it wasn't that long ago I could barely build a small cargo ship, or my neat ore scouting vehicle. All this in a survival mode, though there is no thirst/hunger, just O2 unless you have atmosphere(recommend starting on such a planet), and H2 for your jetpack, which you don't want to run out of fuel for in many situations, which one tends to discover the hard way. There are not many POIs, at all, by default. Some worlds(and game modes) have enemy outposts, some mission stuff is decent, but the only decent enemies are other voxel based clan AI things, drones, ships, and turrets. The wolves and space spiders are kind of silly. Again the gameplay needs work still, but it's good enough now that I would actually recommend it, before not so much.

Some of the newest stuff is paid DLC, but only a couple bucks each, not 10-15. And that's only to create with it, you can still see it even if you don't own it. Most blocks and textures are available. I don't mind supporting them, keeps the new stuff flowing, and imagine I'll be doing the same for 7DTD content post gold:D It also has a really large mod selection and community. I'm playing vanilla now, but have explored the mods before, there are tons, is a neat example of synching decently with the mod workshop from an in-game menu(main menu, game settings). As a dev I think you'd find it interesting in ways, mostly the world and voxel aspect. The physics and block damage can be fun, and also very unforgiving. You will crash your first ship or ground vehicle, probably the second and third too, but that's part of the fun and challenge of it. So making a solid vehicle, even your first semi-stable slap-together, comes with a nice feeling of accomplishment.

im fine with this! but my i. i have a few suggestions on those/some zombies

if you don't read. Short term, make some zombie have multiple roles

Cowboy: it could take the role of a "Park ranger" and a Cowboy, because there are many Ranger station and Cowboy areas.of course a new look would be needed if this was to be.

Biker: it could just very muscular person so no biker helmet, and it could have kinda the same cloths.

Lab Doctor: it could look like acid was pored on her face and hands, so she is just almost unrecognizable

Punk: it could look almost the same but has a darker jacket, ripped sleeves, torn jeans, and running shoes

Rotten corpse: the zombie looks unrecognizable and has a "loin cloth" from its old shirt and pants, no shoes, no hair , just a Very Rotten corps

Burnt Victim: Just a Very crispy person, no cloths or anything

almost all special zombies: They should look super mutated like with Claws, long teeth, harden skin, and just look nasty!

SP? What about the first one?

"Mount and Blade Viking Conquest" is the game to play right now (standalone DLC for Warband). Bannerlord is way better, but it's still buggy and might damper your first experience. The gameplay is the best of its genre, just like "Kenshi" (another original genre mix game) , because there's no experience quite like those .

PD: sick models! Nice work.

I'm excited about the re-implementation of the thirst and hunger bars at the bottom of the toolbelt, but I'm curious on how they will work. Will they show your current max food and thirst (in relation to how much health you have; for example level 112 means the max food/drink that will be displayed will be that corresponding number) or if it will work off your max thirst/hunger up to the additional +50 that you can overeat/overdrink?

If it's the latter, it's somewhat of a shame imo that no numbers are displayed. Perhaps if it works in the latter way I described above, there could be a line drawn on either bar, some visual indicator that clearly separates your max hunger/thirst in relation to your player level and the +50 you can consume via overeating/overdrinking?

Example:

nNhRtbK.png

There is easily room on the market for 100x the games. I cannot find a game I like other than one a year at best. 7 Days, Ark, Rust, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Subnautica are the only memorable titles in the last 10 years. I have time and money for more of those. I'm so bored right now I'm playing BFME2 and Plants vs Zombies. I'm simply unwilling to try new stuff because it always sucks and cannot hold my interest. So I replay old stuff until Starfield or ES6 drop. I'm ready to play 7 days, just waiting for a few more missing components and I'll start a new build.

BFME2 was the best. I wish the match service still worked for it.

There is easily room on the market for 100x the games. I cannot find a game I like other than one a year at best. 7 Days, Ark, Rust, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Subnautica are the only memorable titles in the last 10 years. I have time and money for more of those. I'm so bored right now I'm playing BFME2 and Plants vs Zombies. I'm simply unwilling to try new stuff because it always sucks and cannot hold my interest. So I replay old stuff until Starfield or ES6 drop. I'm ready to play 7 days, just waiting for a few more missing components and I'll start a new build.

Good to know I'm not the only one who is cut from that cloth. Currently I mostly play 7 Days to Die, although I occasionally go back to Terraria (especially recently with the final large update coming out in less than a month), Horizon Zero Dawn, Stranded Deep, The Forest, and Plants Vs Zombies, with a couple older RTS games in between when I get burned out of everything else; I've yet to give Ark a proper go. Most titles these days disappoint me; maybe my overall small quantity of Steam games is also due to the fact that I'm a minimalist and I have a tendency to hyperfocus.

Archived