Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Any plans to change the death penalty, the reduction to skills was maybe not the best idea imo. But as it is now there's basically no penalty at all, at least as i see it. You could add some reductions that could be offset by pills or medications a player could make from the physicians tree, or higher quality food?

Nice.And what changes are you doing to the Integrated survival system?

Quite a bit. Max Health will no longer get micro damage that needs constant bandaging, but instead you might get a critical injury which requires a specific treatment just like a broken leg. Criticals include Abrasions, lacerations, concussions, broken arms, broken legs. We had more but cut a few due to risk of overdesign. Sewing kits are like honey and can be used to heal a laceration quicker, but a first aid kit is like antibiotics and it will heal it much faster. (Like splints/casts). Pretty much every critical heals over time and there are multiple remedies but some work better than others. They all do some max health damage, which will hyperlink to the status effects page when you click on any debuff.

Hi MM,

Any guesses what will be your new favorite weapon and why? When do you think pre-experimental testing will begin? I am sure all of the applicants (including myself) are eagerly waiting to get started...:p

Auto shotgun probably, but I have only used the new 44 a bit in testing so far. Drone is more of a helper than a weapon, but we fear everyone will flock to it because it will be so handy, but I am pretty sure I will stick to strength and fortitude builds personally because I'm a pretty good aim and like those builds.

We did move heavy armor to strength, since the fortitude guy has so much healing and defense anyway. It won't matter much to me, I get some strength perks every build anyway.

Armor quality now dictates its AR now too which is good.

Quite a bit. Max Health will no longer get micro damage that needs constant bandaging, but instead you might get a critical injury which requires a specific treatment just like a broken leg. Criticals include Abrasions, lacerations, concussions, broken arms, broken legs. We had more but cut a few due to risk of overdesign. Sewing kits are like honey and can be used to heal a laceration quicker, but a first aid kit is like antibiotics and it will heal it much faster. (Like splints/casts). Pretty much every critical heals over time and there are multiple remedies but some work better than others. They all do some max health damage, which will hyperlink to the status effects page when you click on any debuff.

This sounds promising. Hopefully it feels more organic/unified and at the end of the day more fun.

Will first aid kits have a different recipah? Are they still the only way to permanently stop bleeding?

We haven't even begun testing so right now all our changes are a best guess. We decided bandages can stop bleeding, but getting hit again can open up your laceration. Only a sewing kit or first aid kit will get it healing quickly though.

Auto shotgun probably, but I have only used the new 44 a bit in testing so far. Drone is more of a helper than a weapon, but we fear everyone will flock to it because it will be so handy, but I am pretty sure I will stick to strength and fortitude builds personally because I'm a pretty good aim and like those builds.

We did move heavy armor to strength, since the fortitude guy has so much healing and defense anyway. It won't matter much to me, I get some strength perks every build anyway.

Oh wow, so armor quality will do more then add more durability and mod slots for the most part? If so my guess will be most will welcome the change. I lost count how many posts/thread I've read about people disagreeing with armor quality not improving AR...

I dont like that mechanic of you to bound some weapons and armor into atribute branch. This limits gameplay very much. For example, I like use heavy armor and sniper, but I need Split my points into two branchs cause the item skill are linked to the atribute...

In my opinion, skills linked to items should stay separated from the normal atribute branch. Then we can build a tough guy who like use pistols, or a silently assassin who like use sniper rifle. Of course, in the endgame we can get all, but the point is about early and mid game.

I dont like that mechanic of you to bound some weapons and armor into atribute branch. This limits gameplay very much. For example, I like use heavy armor and sniper, but I need Split my points into two branchs cause the item skill are linked to the atribute...

In my opinion, skills linked to items should stay separated from the normal atribute branch. Then we can build a tough guy who like use pistols, or a silently assassin who like use sniper rifle. Of course, in the endgame we can get all, but the point is about early and mid game.

You can always use armor even without spending any points and it works pretty good too. There really is no need to to be the best at everything. If you don't want to spend points towards armor just use what you find and it will work for you. I do it all the time and spend my points elsewhere.

Oh wow, so armor quality will do more then add more durability and mod slots for the most part? If so my guess will be most will welcome the change. I lost count how many posts/thread I've read about people disagreeing with armor quality not improving AR...

The caveat is early game armor won't be very good, but it will still be better than nothing.

You can always use armor even without spending any points and it works pretty good too. There really is no need to to be the best at everything. If you don't want to spend points towards armor just use what you find and it will work for you. I do it all the time and spend my points elsewhere.

We can use everything without having skills, but that is not the point, the point is the attributes are linked to some weapons and items. Cause that, some players take too much time to turn good at their own style. Why weapons and items are linked to attributes? Why I cant be a Strong guy with a decente skill in sniper or a smart guy with skill in handguns?

Ok I dont need be good at everything, I just want be good at 2 thinks: building and explosives, but building is intelect and explosives are perception... I just want be good with 2 items, and the game oblige me spent points in 2 attributes branch. That is very annoying...

In my opinion, just general skills should be linked to attributes, for example: Mining skills are ok inside Strenght. And how about armor and weapons skills? How about put those skills in a separated branch where you can choose your own set of weapons without need spent points in 2-3 attributes?

Well, if TFP want creat player role, then they should be more especific. Just like Darkness Falls modpack with its professions.

Archived