Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Where have you gotten all that information, exactly? I've been around ever since the kickstarter launched and the only lore the game has ever had until now has been exactly the same one told in the trailer.

"In 2034, nuclear attacks have decimated the earth. The remaining population are infected by an unknown virus. [...]"

"The game takes place in the near future, where a third world war has left the earth in ruins, and an unknown virus transforms the surviving humans into blood thirsty zombies."

"[...] When the sun goes down, the lunar cycle speeds up and strengthens the zombies".

That's it. That's all there's to the lore. In other words, nothing that really defines what the zombies are. You say it makes them kind of immortal, but they take bleeding damage from knives.

I guess my point is that nothing that's been said about the lore hints at zombies being sentient or smart, and that many things (such as the current AI) seem more like building blocks towards bigger threats for future alphas, such as bandits.

Maybe after bandits get added and once the devs start defining their lore a bit more, zombies will be left with a more simple AI, while the really smart AI is left for bandits, or maybe the devs are planning to define their zombies as intelligent and sentient, like you say. However, there's really been nothing that could hint at the latter option, certainly not in the lore.

Yep remember that to and the trailers for it all.

I think they are allready way to scary and my 5 year old gets nightmares whenever i force him to the bloodmoons for me.

Maybe make the Game more Kid-friendly.

Replace the Zombies with Clowns, the Blood with Confetti.

Or replace them with Hipsters and their Blood will be Emojis.

#ThinkOfTheKids!

sorry, but even a dog can be scary for 5 yo childs.. this is a game for 18yo +, so id say no... zombies arent scary in this game, they are cool but not scary. You can get shocked sometimes when you are surprised by zombies hit on your back, but that is normal and not scary. Game is in need for some horror ambient, more blood everywhere, people dead..

sorry, but even a dog can be scary for 5 yo childs.. this is a game for 18yo +, so id say no... zombies arent scary in this game, they are cool but not scary. You can get shocked sometimes when you are surprised by zombies hit on your back, but that is normal and not scary. Game is in need for some horror ambient, more blood everywhere, people dead..

He was kidding, you know.

But yeah, more gory stuff would be extremely welcome. I think there might actually be a new corpse decoration added to the world. It's in the pictures with the new zombie Boe, or so it seems at least.

Definition of satire

1 : a literary work holding up human vices and follies to ridicule or scorn

2 : trenchant wit, irony, or sarcasm used to expose and discredit vice or folly

- Merriam-Webster dictionary

He was kidding, you know.

But yeah, more gory stuff would be extremely welcome. I think there might actually be a new corpse decoration added to the world. It's in the pictures with the new zombie Boe, or so it seems at least.

yes, in one hand they say its pos apocalyptic world, so where are the corpses from all ppl that died and why zombies looks pretty with flesh bodies? If there was time enough to all humans corpses to decompose, why are zombies so flesh? Thats why i think we need some more horror ambient, blood or whatever to makes it feels scary

yes, in one hand they say its pos apocalyptic world, so where are the corpses from all ppl that died and why zombies looks pretty with flesh bodies? If there was time enough to all humans corpses to decompose, why are zombies so flesh? Thats why i think we need some more horror ambient, blood or whatever to makes it feels scary

Most were burned (in the military camp). The rest came back. As zeds. And me. And the traders ate a few at the last traders convention.

Most were burned (in the military camp). The rest came back. As zeds. And me. And the traders ate a few at the last traders convention.

haha that was pretty funny gotta say.

Bandits are human are they not? They might not be in game yet but it is alpha and they are closer to being in game then ever. So we will have traders that are already in game and bandits to add to it.

haha that was pretty funny gotta say.

Bandits are human are they not? They might not be in game yet but it is alpha and they are closer to being in game then ever. So we will have traders that are already in game and bandits to add to it.

I believe they also talked about friendly (or neutral) survivors you can find, such as wandering traders and the like.

Another thing they could add/change is... There is tree variations in the game (a lot of maples, pines, winters types), but once you cut down all of them, the tree seeds will have no variation and they will always grown to the same tree in their category.. So, to avoid all planted tree seeds to looks exactly the same, they could add the variation from the trees we cant plant. Its just to look more normal..

Another thing they could add/change is... There is tree variations in the game (a lot of maples, pines, winters types), but once you cut down all of them, the tree seeds will have no variation and they will always grown to the same tree in their category.. So, to avoid all planted tree seeds to looks exactly the same, they could add the variation from the trees we cant plant. Its just to look more normal..

Tree variety would go along way to fleshing out the landscapes more. A moment of silence for the birch tree....

I've seen quite a few people asking about this on Reddit, a couple Discords, etc., but I was wanting some confirmation here. Will the quality of items tiers be reduced from 6 to only 3 in A19? (Ex. We have brown, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple as of now.) I just want an answer so I can use it as confirmation/evidence, if that is alright.

But if you (TFP of course) are ridding of the item quality system (1-6) and making it so that you could find, for example, a low tier double barrel shotgun, a mid tier double barrel shotgun, and a top tier double barrel shotgun (aka 3 item quality tiers) then that is fine too I suppose.

I've seen quite a few people asking about this on Reddit, a couple Discords, etc., but I was wanting some confirmation here. Will the quality of items tiers be reduced from 6 to only 3 in A19? (Ex. We have brown, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple as of now.) I just want an answer so I can use it as confirmation/evidence, if that is alright.

But if you (TFP of course) are ridding of the item quality system (1-6) and making it so that you could find, for example, a low tier double barrel shotgun, a mid tier double barrel shotgun, and a top tier double barrel shotgun (aka 3 item quality tiers) then that is fine too I suppose.

Sounds like a bunch of gossip to me. That would mess up the mod slot balancing. Then again, with the current damage / HP / balancing, the incremental differences across each tier is already pretty tight so a reduction is a possible design change...?

Sounds like a bunch of gossip to me. That would mess up the mod slot balancing. Then again, with the current damage / HP / balancing, the incremental differences across each tier is already pretty tight so a reduction is a possible design change...?

agreed but I iv really never saw a difference in terms of level of a weapon, like damage

i may be blind but if anyone could explain what the level system of weapons, armor etc does. i would be very happy!

if joel didnt post it in his twitter page and its not here on front page of this thread..... dont believe gossip/rumors or another pandemic will get started. :)

bad enough we have this damn zombie apocalypse to survive.

Hey @faatal and others did you notice this thread on Reddit?

https://www.reddit.com/r/7daystodie/..._to_die_unity/

Looks important, some users are getting a HUGE performance boost easily. Maybe these Unity options can be set as default for A19 if devs find are stable enough

The settings in that file are probably enabled by "Graphics Jobs (Experimental)" in Unity's Player settings. We have not enabled or tried it, since it is marked experimental in our version of Unity. Considering some people have worse performance, I am not wanting to enable that right now.

Thanks for the info.

Hi Faatal, As i know, wolves, bears and deer can also swim in the real world. Do you plan to teach them to swim, including?

I said AI swimming. AI includes animals. There are some exceptions, like chickens and rabbits, since they use different movement, but they are a low priority.

Any progress/plans regarding Vulkan support/stable implementation in A19? Out of curiosity i've been testing a bit the current 'not fully supported yet' version in 18.4 and so far it seems to provide around +20% better performance over DX11 (at least in my case on RX 580 8GB), but the game was crashing after like 10-15 mins of playing.

Not looked at it recently. Low priority.

In Doom we fight against Demons. But i hate to break it to you: Zombies and Demons alike are fiction. They can have abillities whatever their creators think suits best.

And as long they follow a coherent narrative ( wich 7 Days has ) i got no Problems with Zombies beeing able to know how to get to their food ( us)

Yep. Zombies remember how to walk around. Balancing on two legs to move around and being able to attack while doing so or jumping, is not exactly trivial. Would basic swimming be any harder? Probably not.

if joel didnt post it in his twitter page and its not here on front page of this thread..... dont believe gossip/rumors or another pandemic will get started. :)

bad enough we have this damn zombie apocalypse to survive.

Oh so ok, I just heard a rumor about you winning the lottery. Don't believe it? Ok. :tickled_pink:

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived