Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

What about the rocket launcher, if every weapon class needs 4 weapons what class is the rocket launcher? Couldn't it be a heavy weapons class rpg, flame thrower, mini gun, rocket launcher just a thought :p

This man has good Ideas. Heavy Weapon Class is something we need!

#StillWantThatMinigun

But well im gonna drop the Ball for now, Im gonna annoy Mr. Mole again when A20 is on its way :p

Ideally with time zombies should always be able to reach the player. I've spent the last two days reworking AI swimming, so treading water is no longer safe. They will swim up/across to you now. I'm still tweaking the whole feel of it, but hopefully it will be solid for a19.

Will there be swimming animations? Or zombies will just float up in their walking/crawling animations?

Mr. Mole, i wondered if you could enable Players to turn Ammo into Bundles.

We can allready craft them into those neat packs, but we cannot pack existing Ammo into Bundles.

This would be awesome to store as i got now several Boxes of found ammo cluttering around.

Ideally with time zombies should always be able to reach the player. I've spent the last two days reworking AI swimming, so treading water is no longer safe. They will swim up/across to you now. I'm still tweaking the whole feel of it, but hopefully it will be solid for a19.

Hi Faatal, As i know, wolves, bears and deer can also swim in the real world. Do you plan to teach them to swim, including?

Mr. Mole, i wondered if you could enable Players to turn Ammo into Bundles.

We can allready craft them into those neat packs, but we cannot pack existing Ammo into Bundles.

This would be awesome to store as i got now several Boxes of found ammo cluttering around.

I asked MM about this earlier, the answer was this: Bundles of Ammo are only needed to save materials in production and it will be impossible to pack Ammo into Bundles.

P.S. But you can always change this in XML. Just add a new recipe for the Bundles of Ammo and specify the number of Ammo that you need to create it;)

so no more zombies in the game. Going with human failed experiment monster type things lol. I would a much rathered sharks crocs and piranhas as the threat in the water.

Faatal doing great work just feel the zombies are becoming more non zombie..... please add water predators way better and can be used for fishing as well as another benefit. Just not olympic zombie swimmers

Imma be clear. TFP never stated that Zds were brainless nor stupid. Quite the opposite in fact. They talked about an extremely aggresive rabid virus that numbs their pain and makes them what their are now plus kind of immortal. So they are sentient according to the intended lore. That can very well include their mathematicaly correct knowledge about structures and player' s general direction because of the smell, sound, etc.

They are quite lacking still to be considered "fully intelligent" though, and that's why we will wait for bandit AI, right?

I wonder if we will then whine about bandits being too dumb, talking too much or even having extremely good aim?

Imma be clear. TFP never stated that Zds were brainless nor stupid. Quite the opposite in fact. They talked about an extremely aggresive rabid virus that numbs their pain and makes them what their are now plus kind of immortal. So they are sentient according to the intended lore. That can very well include their mathematicaly correct knowledge about structures and player' s general direction because of the smell, sound, etc.

They are quite lacking still to be considered "fully intelligent" though, and that's why we will wait for bandit AI, right?

I wonder if we will then whine about bandits being too dumb, talking too much or even having extremely good aim?

you can try to be as clear as you want lol. I was clear it takes them from zombies to a totally different genre all together like doom or wolfenstein.

Lol i know what they said lol been here a long long time.. but water creatures like sharks and pirahnas and crocs would be a better fit to make the water scarier. But easily modded out either way.

I asked MM about this earlier, the answer was this: Bundles of Ammo are only needed to save materials in production and it will be impossible to pack Ammo into Bundles.

P.S. But you can always change this in XML. Just add a new recipe for the Bundles of Ammo and specify the number of Ammo that you need to create it;)

Thanks for the info.

Had it with "fixed" xml before, but now playing with friends again and im not hosting client. so i hope for a general solution for all :)

you can try to be as clear as you want lol. I was clear it takes them from zombies to a totally different genre all together like doom or wolfenstein.

Lol i know what they said lol been here a long long time.. but water creatures like sharks and pirahnas and crocs would be a better fit to make the water scarier. But easily modded out either way.

Since when do we got Zombies in Doom?

Any progress/plans regarding Vulkan support/stable implementation in A19? Out of curiosity i've been testing a bit the current 'not fully supported yet' version in 18.4 and so far it seems to provide around +20% better performance over DX11 (at least in my case on RX 580 8GB), but the game was crashing after like 10-15 mins of playing.

What i was saying lol. A zombie game that has more things that should belong in doom etc rather then a zombie game. So speaking they then are not zombies

In Doom we fight against Demons. But i hate to break it to you: Zombies and Demons alike are fiction. They can have abillities whatever their creators think suits best.

And as long they follow a coherent narrative ( wich 7 Days has ) i got no Problems with Zombies beeing able to know how to get to their food ( us)

In Doom we fight against Demons. But i hate to break it to you: Zombies and Demons alike are fiction. They can have abillities whatever their creators think suits best.

And as long they follow a coherent narrative ( wich 7 Days has ) i got no Problems with Zombies beeing able to know how to get to their food ( us)

Doom may not have been the game i was meaning lol. But meh easily modded out. Sharks crocs and pirahnas would a been still better not only as a fear to venture into the water but for fishing and food sources to...

Zombies swimming? That's interesting...

On the other hand, it bet it will be rather funny to watch. lol

I agree that water/amphibian threats would be awesome, as long as they yield things like rotting flesh, fat, bones and maybe some special item like the bear's testosterone extract (no fresh meat due to balance).

so no more zombies in the game. Going with human failed experiment monster type things lol. I would a much rathered sharks crocs and piranhas as the threat in the water.

Faatal doing great work just feel the zombies are becoming more non zombie..... please add water predators way better and can be used for fishing as well as another benefit. Just not olympic zombie swimmers

Sharks wouldn't fit in as these are lakes not oceans so I would vote no to those. Piranhas would be nice and always wanted them but last that was said on that was they don't belong either because of the location the game is based on. I would love some kind of water threat as well. But with said nothing says zombies are this vs that. Everyone has an idea of what a zombie should and shouldn't be. It comes down to whatever lore you are going for and as long as you stick to that lore then nothing wrong with it. But I do agree that some other kind of water threat would be nice. So hope this is just another way to get bandits ready and then gets cut out and something else gets put in. One can only hope anyway. But maybe it be something that can be turned of in xml or something and then a mod can take the swimming code and be able to make something with it besides zombies. If not it really isn't a deal breaker for me at least.

Where have you gotten all that information, exactly? I've been around ever since the kickstarter launched and the only lore the game has ever had until now has been exactly the same one told in the trailer.

"In 2034, nuclear attacks have decimated the earth. The remaining population are infected by an unknown virus. [...]"

"The game takes place in the near future, where a third world war has left the earth in ruins, and an unknown virus transforms the surviving humans into blood thirsty zombies."

"[...] When the sun goes down, the lunar cycle speeds up and strengthens the zombies".

That's it. That's all there's to the lore. In other words, nothing that really defines what the zombies are. You say it makes them kind of immortal, but they take bleeding damage from knives.

I guess my point is that nothing that's been said about the lore hints at zombies being sentient or smart, and that many things (such as the current AI) seem more like building blocks towards bigger threats for future alphas, such as bandits.

Maybe after bandits get added and once the devs start defining their lore a bit more, zombies will be left with a more simple AI, while the really smart AI is left for bandits, or maybe the devs are planning to define their zombies as intelligent and sentient, like you say. However, there's really been nothing that could hint at the latter option, certainly not in the lore.

Where have you gotten all that information, exactly? I've been around ever since the kickstarter launched and the only lore the game has ever had until now has been exactly the same one told in the trailer.

"In 2034, nuclear attacks have decimated the earth. The remaining population are infected by an unknown virus. [...]"

"The game takes place in the near future, where a third world war has left the earth in ruins, and an unknown virus transforms the surviving humans into blood thirsty zombies."

"[...] When the sun goes down, the lunar cycle speeds up and strengthens the zombies".

That's it. That's all there's to the lore. In other words, nothing that really defines what the zombies are. You say it makes them kind of immortal, but they take bleeding damage from knives.

I guess my point is that nothing that's been said about the lore hints at zombies being sentient or smart, and that many things (such as the current AI) seem more like building blocks towards bigger threats for future alphas, such as bandits.

Maybe after bandits get added and once the devs start defining their lore a bit more, zombies will be left with a more simple AI, while the really smart AI is left for bandits, or maybe the devs are planning to define their zombies as intelligent and sentient, like you say. However, there's really been nothing that could hint at the latter option, certainly not in the lore.

i'm srue they talked more other times but one time it was talked a lot out the top of my head is when they added the skyscrapers into the game. At least talked about it in the forums in the diary page or something back then. It was brought up that the one with the testing place at the top is where it started or something been awhile so can't really remember.

It was here in the forums. Madmole said it, I don't remember if it was 17 dev diary, 18 dev diary or 19. I think it was 18 dev diary and he said it hypothetically about an alien virus and he even stated similar reasoning to mine on their sentience. I do read everything MM writes to the last word since long before I decided to create an account. No need to show the lenght of your.... forum attendance , though I respect it .

The official official lore is what you wrote, though. Nothing about smarts there if we are being completely thorough.

It was here in the forums. Madmole said it, I don't remember if it was 17 dev diary, 18 dev diary or 19. I think it was 18 dev diary and he said it hypothetically about an alien virus and he even stated similar reasoning to mine on their sentience. I do read everything MM writes to the last word since long before I decided to create an account. No need to show the lenght of your.... forum attendance , though I respect it .

The official official lore is what you wrote, though. Nothing about smarts there if we are being completely thorough.

When I mentioned my forum attendance, I wasn't exactly trying to "show off" (clearly, I'm nowhere near the true big forum attendees, anyways.). I mentioned it because ever since the kickstarter, the lore has remained the same, and it's never truly hinted at zombies being smart or sentient. Maybe madmole threw in some possible ideas for the future, but nothing has been official information.

The traits and intelligence of the zombies change each alpha, and so far it doesn't seem like they're intelligent for lore reasons, but rather gameplay ones only.

The "unofficial" lore, as decided by the forum rats on one of our more productive days, was that cans of sham were the source of the virus.

I still prefer that one because when your fundamental basis is preposterous it curtails any talk of realism or sense. :-)

Ahoy @madmole

i don't know if me and other have asked but.

sense we have the deagle in the lovely 7DTD Armory.

were does the SMG-5 go?

Pistol? we got 3 tiers already! or is it just 4 tiers and its just only exclusive to the Pistol class pistol. (that being the 4 tier weapon instead of 3)

sorry again if i and many others added. just been curious

It's an alternate T3 handgun for now. We are not doing 4 tiers.

Any plans to revisit hitboxes in the future? They seem a little bit finicky nowadays, and people often cannot melee zombies if they (the zombies) are in the process of swinging. A18 is almost flawless in what it presents imo, but the hitboxes can be a bit irritating at times, and not in a "this adds further difficulty" sort of manner.

Only if someone can reproduce a bug.

Archived