Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Would be cool if you could find shopping carts in the wasteland that you could use and push around like some black Friday hoarder and bring back all the stuff from you raids like a chipmunk getting ready for winter. it could be the first craft-able "vehicle" without needing perks. Also had ideas for the intelligence line of weapons i thought would be cool.

The shock stick- a stick wrapped in copper wiring that even an idiot savant can do. one flashlight, five electrical parts and three wood.

Homemade mulnir- when mid evil meets high tech, a mace covered in electrical contacts that delivers high voltage reliably with some extra weight. steel, electrical components, stun baton parts and duct tape.

junk shot- and hand crank lever action single shot junk launcher- tape, springs, iron pipes and mechanical parts. (think blunderbuss but with junk)

junk rifle- a modified paintball gun that fires junk ammo- iron ingots, junk turret parts, mechanical parts and scrap polymers.

i had a idea about a Junk turret in a RC shopping cart that was able to drive around and kill zeds

but even to me it sounded dumb lol

but i do like the idea of a junk rifle and some special makeshift weapons

COUGH COUGH DART RIFLE COUGH!

i had a idea about a Junk turret in a RC shopping cart that was able to drive around and kill zeds

Really......Really??

Coughs * AIRPORT POI * Coughs

Why would a change to the random world gen force a restart? Why would it affect an already generated world at all?

It always has in the past. There are some reports of those who haven't wiped and restarted within A18 versions that the terrain is acting weird, mirages of false terrain being seen a short distance but always staying far away, and trees having 1 hp, etc...

I'm just stating what I've observed over the last 12 alphas I've been involved with. I know we now have pregenerated terrain so it is different than it was but still there are reports of oddities. Some may say that having trees with only 1 hp aren't game breaking but others might disagree.

It's fine for you and Damocles to say there should be no reason for needing to wipe and start a fresh world with a major update but I think it's also find for me to also state the reality of what happens every time there is a major update in regards to changes to the world.

But I'm not a world generation guru by any means nor do I pretend to understand all the coding behind the terrain. I can only report what has actually happened during the 15 major events I've been privileged to witness. I could be wrong about what should be.

It always has in the past. There are some reports of those who haven't wiped and restarted within A18 versions that the terrain is acting weird, mirages of false terrain being seen a short distance but always staying far away, and trees having 1 hp, etc...

I'm just stating what I've observed over the last 12 alphas I've been involved with. I know we now have pregenerated terrain so it is different than it was but still there are reports of oddities. Some may say that having trees with only 1 hp aren't game breaking but others might disagree.

It's fine for you and Damocles to say there should be no reason for needing to wipe and start a fresh world with a major update but I think it's also find for me to also state the reality of what happens every time there is a major update in regards to changes to the world.

But I'm not a world generation guru by any means nor do I pretend to understand all the coding behind the terrain. I can only report what has actually happened during the 15 major events I've been privileged to witness. I could be wrong about what should be.

1) I never stated anything as a fact or even "should" be true. I asked why it would.

2) Maybe in the past they have rolled RWG changes and world changes together but that can't be mandatory. If it was, the third party RWG tools couldn't work. Maybe the way TFP is making RWG changes they are also modifying things about how the terrain and other objects in the world are defined.

I could certainly understand that happening, especially in an Alpha game. I mean who better to find things that need tweaked about the world files than the team responsible for trying to generate maps from all the data? That would explain why the third party tool works. That person can't really change the way things like trees are stored and used by the game engine so their tools would have no chance of breaking already generated maps. The TFP team on the other hand would, and probably should, be able to decide something along the lines of, "Hey, this problem with RWG would be much easier to solve if we tweaked the way the data is used by the engine at the same time."

TLDR version: After more consideration I seem to agree with you. Lol

I think the way things worked before A17 could be thrown out the window as far as RWG. I believe A17 was the first version that stores the generated map instead of generating on the fly each time you play. If there is a static version saved, one would believe the world really shouldn't change if RWG changes... like Navezgane doesn't change when RWG changes.

I think the way things worked before A17 could be thrown out the window as far as RWG. I believe A17 was the first version that stores the generated map instead of generating on the fly each time you play. If there is a static version saved, one would believe the world really shouldn't change if RWG changes... like Navezgane doesn't change when RWG changes.

More shoulding I see....

I'm just speaking about what actually is. So here once again is what actually is happening:

The devs will not do any major changes to the world until a major update. Madmole specifically said that further improvements to roads and biomes will wait for A19 rather than an 18.x update. If you don't like my explanation then come up with your own. <shrug>

People who are using pregenerated worlds from A17 have reported problems when trying to run A18 games on their previously generated worlds. When they roll a new world in A18 those problems go away. If you don't like my explanation then come up with your own <double shrug>

Why are there terrain problems between A17 and A18 and between A18 and A19? I don't know. But the devs are holding off on terrain changes until A19 and people who use A17 maps to play A18 games are experiencing glitches. That's the reality.

I say it is all because doing major terrain changes breaks previously rolled world. Sue me.

More shoulding I see....

I'm just speaking about what actually is. So here once again is what actually is happening:

The devs will not do any major changes to the world until a major update. Madmole specifically said that further improvements to roads and biomes will wait for A19 rather than an 18.x update. If you don't like my explanation then come up with your own. <shrug>

People who are using pregenerated worlds from A17 have reported problems when trying to run A18 games on their previously generated worlds. When they roll a new world in A18 those problems go away. If you don't like my explanation then come up with your own <double shrug>

Why are there terrain problems between A17 and A18 and between A18 and A19? I don't know. But the devs are holding off on terrain changes until A19 and people who use A17 maps to play A18 games are experiencing glitches. That's the reality.

I say it is all because doing major terrain changes breaks previously rolled world. Sue me.

Im just stating why people believe there may not be any issues to speak of. I'm not denying anything of what is or was or will be. I do believe there will be a lot less issues than there used to be from alpha 1 to 16 due to the fact that the worlds are saved now like Navezgane, not generated on the fly tho. Even though A17 is also the Alpha that royally screwed RWG and has never fully recovered to A16 glory. Thank Damocles for Nitrogen!

Its all good. Someone last week asked whether there would be any terrain changes coming to 18.2 or 18.3 and I responded that the devs save major terrain changes and fixes for the major updates so that people's saves don't get broken until a major update when most expect to need to restart anyway. I said not to expect one until A19 due to that fact.

Damocles straight out said I was wrong and now I've been questioned a few times about why I would say such a thing. Apologies to Gnomaana if you were simply asking out of trying to understand and not just piling on :)

The truth is I don't know why. A dev would have to explain. I only know what I've already explained and while I would love to be as wrong about this as Damocles stated since it would mean never having to restart due to world changes, I guess I should ask him to explain why then are there specific terrain and distant terrain problems between A17 and A18 and why do the devs pointedly wait until major updates to make changes to the world? Maybe Joel can explain why and then we will all know what is going on.

If I am wrong I'll be happy to be corrected and understand the truth of it all and maybe we will see some world improvements earlier rather than later to boot. :)

Its all good. Someone last week asked whether there would be any terrain changes coming to 18.2 or 18.3 and I responded that the devs save major terrain changes and fixes for the major updates so that people's saves don't get broken until a major update when most expect to need to restart anyway. I said not to expect one until A19 due to that fact.

Damocles straight out said I was wrong and now I've been questioned a few times about why I would say such a thing. Apologies to Gnomaana if you were simply asking out of trying to understand and not just piling on :)

The truth is I don't know why. A dev would have to explain. I only know what I've already explained and while I would love to be as wrong about this as Damocles stated since it would mean never having to restart due to world changes, I guess I should ask him to explain why then are there specific terrain and distant terrain problems between A17 and A18 and why do the devs pointedly wait until major updates to make changes to the world? Maybe Joel can explain why and then we will all know what is going on.

If I am wrong I'll be happy to be corrected and understand the truth of it all and maybe we will see some world improvements earlier rather than later to boot. :)

Roland, Can I get a big hug?

Why not use darts as an alternate ammo type for the junk line i suggested. junk ammo as basic and darts as the better ammo. one can be made in inventory at any time like stone arrows and the other has to be made on the forge. darts are already used in dart traps why not junk turrets and junk rifles?

How about one to increase infection. Within 7 days you will be infected and you will need to look for medications. And if you do not have time, you will die and there would be zombies in your place, but this is not necessary, in my opinion it would fit into the game. And it was not bad to add a fever, it would look like a screen in black and white and dizzy.

To get them into the game, add them to rwgmixer.xml or Worlds\Navezgane\prefabs.xml.

"To get them into the game, add them to rwgmixer.xml OR Worlds\Navezgane\prefabs.xml."

or

"To get them into the game, add them to rwgmixer.xml AND Worlds\Navezgane\prefabs.xml."

?

"To get them into the game, add them to rwgmixer.xml OR Worlds\Navezgane\prefabs.xml."

or

"To get them into the game, add them to rwgmixer.xml AND Worlds\Navezgane\prefabs.xml."

?

rwgmixer will create a prefabs.xml. So its an or.

A map will use only the prefabs.xml its configured to use. Rwgmixer allready has done its job then.

Cheers

Really......Really??

Coughs * AIRPORT POI * Coughs

COUGH *DART RIFLE* COUGH

yes

- - - Updated - - -

Why not use darts as an alternate ammo type for the junk line i suggested. junk ammo as basic and darts as the better ammo. one can be made in inventory at any time like stone arrows and the other has to be made on the forge. darts are already used in dart traps why not junk turrets and junk rifles?

i think a special mod for the junk turret would be cool to do that

to shoot stuff like glass , darts , arrow tips , bullet tips or any other junk lol

COUGH *DART RIFLE* COUGH

yes

- - - Updated - - -

i think a special mod for the junk turret would be cool to do that

to shoot stuff like glass , darts , arrow tips , bullet tips or any other junk lol

well if bows can alternative ammo with stone, iron, steel and flaming arrows why not be able to just use darts as an alternative ammo for junk turrets even if its at reduced clip size. steel arrows need to be learned to make maybe a special book could be used to allow the use of darts in the junk turrets. i don't think a mod is the answer.

Archived