Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

POIs will continue to be upgraded or added. I think we are done adding new world model art for now. We're focusing on bandit modeling, upgrading trader art and zombie art as a lower priority.

Right now the roadmap I'm involved looks like this:

Dec: New books, Perk reduction (making many 5 rank non combat perks 3 ranks)

New candy items for vending machines, which will reduce food some in vending. Candy boosts attributes and skills and is not food.

Jan: Vehicle mods and crit system for vehicles and players.

Feb: Legendary items.

March: Testing/Balance.

That is just me specifically, other people are working on stuff, like DMS, POIs, quest improvements, new quest types, etc.

You did a18 in 5 months (since a17.4) . So all of that sounds droolworthy despite being a tiny bit optimistic (because 18.x is still in the works) .

Are you guys planning a non-vehicle mod revamp/content pass for after or during the vehicle update?

I'm thinking of making glue and fuel from it, nothing edible since its genetically modified.

You eat it and turn into the Behemoth. Then it's like Pac-Man eating a power pellet. You get a few minutes to run around picking up and throwing zombies, ripping them apart, and biting their heads off.

Yeah, I know that doesn't suit the game... I just like imagining ridiculous things.

You did a18 in 5 months (since a17.4) . So all of that sounds droolworthy despite being a tiny bit optimistic (because 18.x is still in the works) .

Are you guys planning a non-vehicle mod revamp/content pass for after or during the vehicle update?

There was some overlap. 18 was being worked on while 17.3 and 17.4 were.

If we had some sort of exotic sensors to build into our turrets( auto turrets in particular) to be able to whitelist/blacklist different zombie types or have some sort of high cost Emp grenades to disable Demolisher's detonation triggers, (but at a price of disabling your own electronic devices in the blast radius.) That would be swell.:tickled_pink:

I'm thinking of making glue and fuel from it, nothing edible since its genetically modified.

That's a weird thing to say.

Supercorn itself is edible, and IRL lots of foodstuffs are genetically modified.

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to cook with it.

It might be annoying to program, but any food recipe that uses corn should be creatable with super-corn, (so we don't need to grow both, side-by-side) and the 'super' version should probably give more food.

That'd lead to stuff like 'super-cornmeal' 'supercorn-on-the-cob', 'superbread' and 'superstew'

That's what happens though, when you add an item to the game that's exactly the same as regular corn, but better.

Logically, it should be usable for anything that normal corn is usable for, and the results should be better.

It should make regular corn redundant.

It'll mean having two versions of a lot of items, which will be annoying and will bloat the crafting list, but... well. That's kind of what you signed up for when you added it to the game.

What is a non-vehicle mod?

I was talking about what I'm working on the next few months, other guys are doing other stuff. Art is making traders gorgeous, and all the old weapons are getting a pass.

That's a weird thing to say.

Supercorn itself is edible, and IRL lots of foodstuffs are genetically modified.

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to cook with it.

It might be annoying to program, but any food recipe that uses corn should be creatable with super-corn, (so we don't need to grow both, side-by-side) and the 'super' version should probably give more food.

That'd lead to stuff like 'super-cornmeal' 'supercorn-on-the-cob', 'superbread' and 'superstew'

That's what happens though, when you add an item to the game that's exactly the same as regular corn, but better.

Logically, it should be usable for anything that normal corn is usable for, and the results should be better.

It should make regular corn redundant.

It'll mean having two versions of a lot of items, which will be annoying and will bloat the crafting list, but... well. That's kind of what you signed up for when you added it to the game.

No. That just muddies up the line. Why bother with super corn when I can just plant 5000 corn and get all the fuel and glue I need doing that? Since they did "stuff" to it, its not edible any more since its more like 80% ethanol component now and only 20% food. We don't want to add a bunch of new items/recipes either, that is just klunky. You want super corn recipes? Get super corn. You want regular edible corn, grow that. Having a better one is just a waste of data and takes away from end game goals. If you want more regular corn perk into living off the land. If you want to craft fuel/glue get super corn. Its simple and better than "I have it all". Choice is good.

@Madmole:

Something thatr has been bugging the heck out of me:

Can mod descriptions have a list of what items can be put into?

There are several scopes, and you have to load all the guns and the scope mods into your inventory because certain ones only can be used in certain weapons, BUT its a mystery which ones go where.

As far as I know no one has even posted a master list anywhere of all the mods and what they can go in.

There might be future vehicle mods that are specific to specific vehicles, and going forward that will make mods easier to use, and it would be a hint/pointer for new players what they should do with them.

@Madmole:

There are several scopes, and you have to load all the guns and the scope mods into your inventory because certain ones only can be used in certain weapons, BUT its a mystery which ones go where.

As far as I know no one has even posted a master list anywhere of all the mods and what they can go in.

There might be future vehicle mods that are specific to specific vehicles, and going forward that will make mods easier to use, and it would be a hint/pointer for new players what they should do with them.

We're wanting to display an icon archetype of what weapon a mod goes in in those square boxes.

No. That just muddies up the line. Why bother with super corn when I can just plant 5000 corn and get all the fuel and glue I need doing that? Since they did "stuff" to it, its not edible any more since its more like 80% ethanol component now and only 20% food. We don't want to add a bunch of new items/recipes either, that is just klunky. You want super corn recipes? Get super corn. You want regular edible corn, grow that. Having a better one is just a waste of data and takes away from end game goals. If you want more regular corn perk into living off the land. If you want to craft fuel/glue get super corn. Its simple and better than "I have it all". Choice is good.

I wasn't talking about letting the normal corn become glue or fuel though, just about letting super-corn do everything that normal corn does.

If the supercorn is meant to not be a foodstuff (eventually) then I'd change it's name and icon to be something else.

I'm not sure what kind of plants are good for biofuel, but having it be dissimilar to other (food) crops ingame would probably make it easier to distinguish and avoid confusion.

... A quick googling brought me to this which claims that sugarbeet yields almost twice as many gallons of ethanol/Biodiesel per acre planted as corn does.

'Supersugar/superbeet' doesn't sound quite as cool, unfortunately, but you could just name it 'ethanol crop' or 'mutated crop' or suchlike?

Claim that the folks at bob's boars and Carl's corn who mutated it were trying to... produce moonshine out of it? Or run their tractors on it.

Maybe Carl started with corn (because he was already working with corn, obviously) but eventually moved onto something more efficient?

Seriously though, i feel like having two types of corn that don't overlap or serve the same purpose at all is kind of... eh.

@Madmole:

Rather than listing it on the mod, i'd prefer if each weapon had a list of what could be equipped on it.

Most guns are fine, but oddball stuff like the magnum and the crossbow can be... annoying to mod.

IIRC there used to be a list on the wiki, but the wiki is always one or two updates behind.

We're wanting to display an icon archetype of what weapon a mod goes in in those square boxes.

Lots of mods can be used on multiple weapon archtypes.

Not sure how much you could display with a single icon, really.

Silencer goes on rifles, automatics and pistols. Red dot goes on... basically everything, including the crossbow, but not the regular bow. Lots of guns can have the 2x scope.

Shotgun tube obviously only goes on the pump-shotgun. shotgun shortbarrel/longbarrel only go on pump, but overall feel kinda redundant , since the double-barrel is sawn-off by default.

If you could add a long-barrel (complete with visual change) to the double-barrel shotgun, I'd love it, but I doubt it.

i don't know WHAT goes on the junk turret, to be honest. drum mag does, and is pretty good. Red dot, maybe? I know that you can't ADS so I don't think either of them are any good for it. Tripod?

For the melee-weapons... who knows, really?

I tend to just grab every mod I own, every couple of days and see what turns green when I crack a weapon open.

Yes but universally, I think there are common things I've read 100's of times over the years, that would be a good place to start. Food allergies were my problem, and they can be developed by eating the same foods every day, so rotate your foods, and get allergy testing. I was allergic to nearly everything I ate in abundance for years: Eggs, peanuts, cashews, milk, cheese were the big ones. Interesting for years I removed the yolks when low fat diets were in style and later I went back to eating them because low fat diets are bs, but my allergy report showed mild sensitivity to yolks and high sensitivity to whites, the thing I always consumed.

But yes it is a slow process figuring out what works best and what you can live with, and how to craft good foods without your favorite ingredients :)

Not so long ago I read an article that stated that some food alergies are cause by low food variety. If you did not eat particular food for long time, your immune system might forget it and it will view it as pathogens.

I'll be out of pocket for most of the week, so have fun guys. There should be some good amount of stuff to show when I get back.

Have yourself a good one!

I myself won't be around the forums at all for a long while since I want to have A19 (or whatever it will be called) be as spoiler-free as possible (unlike last time), so I look forward to whatever y'all have in store for the future. :)

P.S. Just a reminder of my idea (from last alpha) that instead of the trader giving you straight up pharmaceutical supplies, they could give you a box of medical supplies that, depending on what tier quest you did, will contain a (different) random assortment of medical supplies once you open it. (: (Ex. Tier 1 could give you, for example, a random assortment of pain killers, and/or first aid bandages, etc. and Tier 5 could give you, for example, a random assortment of first aid kids, and/or recog, and/or fortbites, and/or painkillers, etc. etc.)

Could we have new zombies? i mean new skins. i am tired of the same ones. Also what if we can encounter a zombified survivor wearing armor. That would be cool, seeing a zombie wearing full steel armor running at you , or perhaps wearing just cloth armor.:strawberry:

Awesome! Its SO tedious trying to figure out what can go where.

- - - Updated - - -

Could we have new zombies? i mean new skins. i am tired of the same ones. Also what if we can encounter a zombified survivor wearing armor. That would be cool, seeing a zombie wearing full steel armor running at you , or perhaps wearing just cloth armor.:strawberry:

If you actually read this thread, you'd have noticed that they have already shown and are upgrading the original zombies. ;)

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived