Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

The majority of the fun of the game is surviving from nothing to self sufficency....so restarts not only allows players to experience all of the new changes/features but also that thrill only one gets from the beginning.

However, I do understand the feeling of loss especially for builders of elaborate structures that have taken a huge amount of time to build.

One recommendation I can offer is to export any of your builds to prefab file which you can "potentially" import into a future game save. I emphasize potentially because there is no guarantee that the exported prefab will be compatible.

For Alpha 19, I plan on exporting buildings for folks on our MP server and trying to import them. This will mostly be for nostalgia/comfort purposes as using said bases for horde nights would ruin the urgency of the impending horde nights...

Edit: It is also worth mentioning you dont have to upgrade to A19 right away (leave the game set to A18) so you can continue to enjoy your A18 game for a long while still.

Or one could copy their world folders and paste them into a separate folder, in case they ever wish to ever revisit them for nostalgia, as another option.

Of course there will be. Dont give such Statements if youre not part of the staff. MM said numerous Times that there will be new Prefabs or at least revisited ones.

Think alone about the clothing racks show a few weeks ago. They didnt create that for nothing^^

There are either new or reimagined POIs coming.

I apologize if I'm asking already answered questions, and I'll to to keep it short:

- Any plans to make the game able to support "clustering" of servers, so that 1 server could have a map, and another have a different map ( maybe just a biome or 2 for each map) and players could hop to the other map when they got to the end of one (and keep their stuff while traveling)? Basically supporting "infinite" map size. I know it could be clunky. Just curious if this is ever a "thing" anyone's thinking of.

- Any plans to have the game "officially" support "a lot" of players on 1 map? I believe the last I read the game is likely only made to support for 8? players at a time ( more like "friends and family" games vs "MMO"). I know people have set up servers to handle more. Just wondering if an *official* target for number of players per server/map has been locked down for good or if it may expand a lot in some later version.

- Any new "mechanics" planned beyond the junk drone? It seems whenever "newer" content comes out (since I've been playing) it has always expanded on the mechanics of the game, even if just a little bit. Specifically: We had auto aiming turrets, but now we have a junk turret (with a laser sight) we can carry/and place/move (I think its overpowered right now, but its cool). We had flying creatures, now we will soon have a flying "creation" that can follow/help us. Same with the bicycle: we had a minibike (and other "similar" vehicles were added) and now we have a bicycle and the limbs move as it moves. We had explosives, now we have "placeable, timed explosives". I see a lot of discussion over new weapons and recipes things (rebalancing perks and expanding how existing stuff works, which is great), just curious if something totally new was way out there and can be talked about. Like: players can lose limbs and live (craft a peg leg, etc), players die and can choose to play as zombies on respawn, etc.

No, No and I'd say the ISS overhaul will provide a fair amount of new mechanics to deal with. Get hit hard enough times and get a major debuff, like a bleeding wound that periodically bleeds you out and nothing short of a med kit will stop it from causing periodic damage. A broken arm reducing your melee speed, damage, reload time, etc will certainly be a new mechanic to deal with. This new system will pave the way for vehicle criticals coming in Alpha 20. No longer will a generic repair kit be the magic duct tape gorilla glue fix of the apocalypse, you'll need specific solutions for specific problems. Sewing kits will be extremely valuable (needed to craft big med kits) to debuff the bleeding wounds. You might need a radiator to fix a vehicle you wrecked. (A20)

Falling enemies and enemies bursting through doors will be new too, like rage was in A18.

I see. I'm new here, only been playing since 18.x so I've never experienced a major version upgrade.

It kinda sucks now that I know this.

I don't feel like investing in building any more. I'm just going to lose it all :-(

That is the wrong mentality. When it arrives its a new opportunity/challenge, until then its one day at a time and A18 is all there is. Turn off auto updates if you are that worried about it, and update when you are ready to lay your character to rest. A19 isn't coming any time soon, so you might as well run your build as long as you can. Unless you play like 6 month games I'd think you could reach end game on a new character today by the time 19 drops. My characters last about 4-6 weeks at most, I have a nice base, purple gear and maxed out my main perks etc there isn't anything else to do.

No, No and I'd say the ISS overhaul will provide a fair amount of new mechanics to deal with. Get hit hard enough times and get a major debuff, like a bleeding wound that periodically bleeds you out and nothing short of a med kit will stop it from causing periodic damage. A broken arm reducing your melee speed, damage, reload time, etc will certainly be a new mechanic to deal with. This new system will pave the way for vehicle criticals coming in Alpha 20. No longer will a generic repair kit be the magic duct tape gorilla glue fix of the apocalypse, you'll need specific solutions for specific problems. Sewing kits will be extremely valuable (needed to craft big med kits) to debuff the bleeding wounds. You might need a radiator to fix a vehicle you wrecked. (A20)

Falling enemies and enemies bursting through doors will be new too, like rage was in A18.

Thanks for the info and quick response! (patiently awaiting....:) )

Very cool. You've probably already thought of it but another suggestion might be a "concussion" debuff that periodically stuns you until treated, similar to the bleeding wound you described.

No longer will a generic repair kit be the magic duct tape gorilla glue fix of the apocalypse, you'll need specific solutions for specific problems. Sewing kits will be extremely valuable (needed to craft big med kits) to debuff the bleeding wounds.

I look forward to additional uses for sewing kits. I find them much faster than I need them in 18.4. The first part of the quoted text, though... we used to have different repair materials and it was almost all simplified down to "repair kit" - and then THAT simplified to only need iron and duct tape. I'm glad we're seeing a reversal of this one. As convenient as the one-size-fits-all repair kit is, it feels "gamey" and that's sometimes a bad thing even IN a game.

<Snip>. My characters last about 4-6 weeks at most, I have a nice base, purple gear and maxed out my main perks etc there isn't anything else to do.

Mr. Mole,

with this you might have nailed the Main problem for most Players, at least in MP :)

Not beeing Snarky, but really REALLY lookin Forward when you one Day have concrete Endgame Plans to present.

It was often hinted/announced that radiation/Bandits and Wasteland Biomes will play a bigger Role and alltough that might still be a year down the road, im extremly hyped :)

The other thing is Yongha is working on 3 guns at once, I guess its faster for him to hi poly sculpt a bunch of stuff all at once so those last three guns should all be able to show about the same time.

Is one of them a carbine? I really want to play like Chuck Conners in "The Rifleman" (old western series). :D

i like were this is going!

That is the wrong mentality. When it arrives its a new opportunity/challenge, until then its one day at a time and A18 is all there is. Turn off auto updates if you are that worried about it, and update when you are ready to lay your character to rest. A19 isn't coming any time soon, so you might as well run your build as long as you can. Unless you play like 6 month games I'd think you could reach end game on a new character today by the time 19 drops. My characters last about 4-6 weeks at most, I have a nice base, purple gear and maxed out my main perks etc there isn't anything else to do.

MM,

So, are you evaluating the release of experimental 19 Alpha in 4-6 weeks? =) Well, if everything goes according to plan, right?

Bursting through doors? Bring it Joel....I am ready!!! lol...

YGjORpu.gif

For your consideration sir.

BRING THE BANDITS

I have both long-lived games in which I was planning on starting an Epic build, as well as short-lived games where I re-start every so often.

I am already looking forward to all the new things, but now I will probably just keep adding on onto my existing builds and not start to build the Statue of TheLiving till Gold drops.

I don't play as much as you do - I play months and still not near the end!

Archived