Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Please don't confuse shop talk (random ideas we chat about in the thread) with planned features. (Announced on the first post). There is no grenade launcher, alchemy or unique plants.

Are they ideas, if I can't put them here then where do I say them? I thought it was a thread for ideas

Our secret plan is to ruin random gen so we can charge you 34.99 for a new map like Ark.

To be fair, if you're going back to random biomes I'm probably switching to NitroGen for map generation.

Why are we going back to a system where your left leg is freezing, right leg is burning, and your arse is cozy and warm?

To be fair, if you're going back to random biomes I'm probably switching to NitroGen for map generation.

Why are we going back to a system where your left leg is freezing, right leg is burning, and your arse is cozy and warm?

Random biomes doesnt have to mean tiny Biomes

At any rate, Nitrogen is the way to go anyway lol

if you are gonna bring in a game to make a point, you could at least have brought in a good one. I mean like bethesda dlc while not fixing their damned bugs

Well Bethesda at least their bugs can be funny.

Arks can be a Pain in the arse. but i still like to play ark with my friends

also by Mostly i mean like 99%

if you are gonna bring in a game to make a point, you could at least have brought in a good one. I mean like bethesda dlc while not fixing their damned bugs

Ark is pretty good and with a few mods and server settings and good friends to play with it can be a blast. I like their game, but I'm not a fan of their business practices, like selling DLC's before offering a season pass, then adding a new product that is also excluded from the season pass.

Bethesda's bugs are trivial. You can look up console commands to bypass them, or unofficial patches fix most of them. Not ideal, but for a game that vast it is forgivable. I'd rather they make huge do 10 million things games with a few bugs than low scope bug free games.

Ark was one of my greatest... regrettable purchases.

I hated it the first time I played it. Default settings are retarded for SP or even PVE coop. I tried it quite a while later with shorter tame times etc and got hooked on it and spent a lot of time at it. Just curious why did you regret it?

i thought the 2x scope was a Acog. but TBH i think there's enough Scopes/Sights in the game

No way, it looks just like a sniper scope with different augments. They look like placeholders honestly... minus the Red dot sight, that one looks legit. There's no way a x2 sight looks like a sniper scope.

I hated it the first time I played it. Default settings are retarded for SP or even PVE coop. I tried it quite a while later with shorter tame times etc and got hooked on it and spent a lot of time at it. Just curious why did you regret it?

7 days is the only one of these games that keeps me interested because of the hook of 7 days hordes getting harder and harder (even modding to do so past Max Vanilla hordes)

Ark, Empyrion, and a bunch of others have no hook, and i build a hut, find food, and get bored to death because theres nothing that threatens you. Why build a bigger base and collect better equipment when I dont need it?

Every open ended survival game needs an optional game mode that make things harder and harder and harder until you die. Then you can start over and go for a new record.

This trend in gamers that like to be level 3,0000 super heroes with no challenges, basically god mode, is disturbing to me. To them the challenge may be something like collecting a book they may not have? Seriously? If u are untouchable already who gives a crap about a book?

7 days is the only one of these games that keeps me interested because of the hook of 7 days hordes getting harder and harder (even modding to do so past Max Vanilla hordes)

Ark, Empyrion, and a bunch of others have no hook, and i build a hut, find food, and get bored to death because theres nothing that threatens you. Why build a bigger base and collect better equipment when I dont need it?

Yes 7 Days has the impeding doom of the horde coming which automatically provides motivation for some personality types.

I think for me Ark becomes a bit of a dick waving contest. Check out my level 300 giga, look at all my trophies, oh now there is tek gear, I have to have all of that. New dinos that are different/better, cool I want to tame one of those, ride it, etc. Then you can get caught up in the breeding and breed mutated super dinos. I had some level 450 raptors that had rare cool colors. I could put half a dozen of them in a group, and have them follow my lead raptor I rode and we could shred a bronto in like 2 seconds. It was like a swarm of death, a ton of fun. Its an experience if done right with friends. Clearing out a cave to get the artifact is a bit like dishong towers of 7 days. It takes some time and you have to be organized to get through it, and you can die and lose your shit at any second with some dangerous lava jumps etc. I had a dragon so badass I could kill a titan by myself in a few minutes.

I like how its really fn' hard, so its rewarding when you finally get your shit together. I built a giant castle, walled off an area, it was pretty cool. But yeah I imagine its like a lot of games, if you blink or rage quit too early, you might miss a real gem. Like Ark is a few mods and setting away from being a complete piece of shit to something you spend 1362 hours on.

Every open ended survival game needs an optional game mode that make things harder and harder and harder until you die. Then you can start over and go for a new record.

This trend in gamers that like to be level 3,0000 super heroes with no challenges, basically god mode, is disturbing to me. To them the challenge is collecting a book they may not have? Seriously? If u are untouchable already who gives a crap about a book?

Ultimately there is only so much content an open world game can have.

Empyrion for example will either go into PvP or lots of creative ship and base construction. (Its lacks the excitement of a proper well working AI opponent)

At any rate, at one point any open world game reaches a natural end (no more things to unlock, explore, archive or build)

So its important to have lots of replay potential (trying a new character skill-build, new main base idea, a new random gen world, roleplaying)

Yes 7 Days has the impeding doom of the horde coming which automatically provides motivation for some personality types.

I think for me Ark becomes a bit of a ♥♥♥♥ waving contest. Check out my level 300 giga, look at all my trophies, oh now there is tek gear, I have to have all of that. New dinos that are different/better, cool I want to tame one of those, ride it, etc. Then you can get caught up in the breeding and breed mutated super dinos. I had some level 450 raptors that had rare cool colors. I could put half a dozen of them in a group, and have them follow my lead raptor I rode and we could shred a bronto in like 2 seconds. It was like a swarm of death, a ton of fun. Its an experience if done right with friends. Clearing out a cave to get the artifact is a bit like dishong towers of 7 days. It takes some time and you have to be organized to get through it, and you can die and lose your ♥♥♥♥ at any second with some dangerous lava jumps etc. I had a dragon so badass I could kill a titan by myself in a few minutes.

I like how its really fn' hard, so its rewarding when you finally get your ♥♥♥♥ together. I built a giant castle, walled off an area, it was pretty cool. But yeah I imagine its like a lot of games, if you blink or rage quit too early, you might miss a real gem. Like Ark is a few mods and setting away from being a complete piece of ♥♥♥♥ to something you spend 1362 hours on.

I love dinosaurs in a survival setting. I hate grinding when it serves little purpose vs the time and effort used . And I hate dingdong swinging to show off who has the better dingdong and the lack of REAL and meaningful experiences. I enjoy the landscapes of Ark, the few quasiadventures it has to offer and some interesting emergent gameplay spiced with cool graphics here and there. That should be 30 hours of gameplay by my standards and NEVER stop it /delay it with repetitive grind. So overall I don't like Ark as much as I love 7dtd just RIGHT NOW in its current nonbandit state. The one thing it overwhelms me but I find an adquired taste about Ark is the gameplay starting options though. Just like ATLAS (Pirate world with Ark graphics/dev touch).

To me, gaming is like going to the gym (for the majority of people); if someone goes to the gym to work out for several days for the first time in their life and then they take a several week break, it's unlikely they'll return, at least anytime soon afterward. Typically I can only play one save at a time (and often just one game at a time), otherwise I split my time between them and end up not putting as much dedication as I'd like to in between them, and this often leads to me abandoning worlds eventually. *Shrugs* Just the way I am, I guess. In other words, I hyperfocus.

Now concerning Ark, I've been wanting to play it for a while. I don't know if it's just not for me, or if I'm not in the mood to engage with it at this moment. If I get around to it again, cool. :) I got at least 30 hours into it a few months ago. But if not, well, it'll probably just gather dust until further notice. I take back the word "regret" though and replace it with "not cheap". Haha

Then again, I wasn't interested in The Forest at first and now I'm addicted; nearly 400 hours put into it in under three months. Maybe Ark will be next in line. *Shrugs*

We went from Random Biomes and Random Terrain in A14/15/16/17 to this in A18 and it was supposed to be the innovation of the RWG. I am hoping A19 will bring the random back again or add a lot more stamps into the mix to avoid repetition.

And then they probably will say, just mod it if you do not like it, but they also made out options in modding more limited with the A18 systems. Custom biomes, altering terrain textures of biomes/roads, properly decorating hill slopes, all of these these things we just cannot easily adjust anymore.

The a18 RWG is half placeholder code because a18 RWG wasn't ready to ship so they pasted old code in such that it was playable, if not pretty. It's been discussed to death.

Archived