Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

They dont have to be able to tranverse blocks the same way players do. Maybe for bandits when they come in but not all entities. Keeps things more interesting/varied imo.

Zombies getting stuck is not interesting nor varied. If they cannot scale a block for some reason they should try and rage against it instead or find a different path. No shape of block should result in them gettings completely stuck in some loop, never being able to hit or get past it. But it seems Faatal is already working on this.

We don't have any plans for that, but it would be good to have more reasons to travel to other biomes.

This. I would really like having more reasons to travel into other biomes aside from forest and rarely desert. There is currently no proper risk vs reward for other biomes

Like for example wasteland has the best weapons, technologies etc. because bombs were targeted at strategic locations - factories, munition warehouses, research centres etc. Snow biome could have seed vaults (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalba...bal_Seed_Vault), secret bases, oil pumps (imagine siberian oil rigs). Desert biome would have scyscrapers, military bases etc. But in order for it to work, loot tables would have to be tied to location, not container (or have specific containers only at specific locations)

This. I would really like having more reasons to travel into other biomes aside from forest and rarely desert. There is currently no proper risk vs reward for other biomes

Like for example wasteland has the best weapons, technologies etc. because bombs were targeted at strategic locations - factories, munition warehouses, research centres etc. Snow biome could have seed vaults (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalba...bal_Seed_Vault), secret bases, oil pumps (imagine siberian oil rigs). Desert biome would have scyscrapers, military bases etc. But in order for it to work, loot tables would have to be tied to location, not container (or have specific containers only at specific locations)

hmmm, location based boss boxes would be a welcomed change, and they can be levelled quite easily. mostly just xml edits

Madmole or Faatal, do we have any news of the bandits? The last time we knew something was in A15 in a Madmole video, is it something discarded for A19?

I think they could add some kind of basic bandits relatively quickly. (using the zombie AI, and giving some them guns, other models and sounds). But that might be not exciting enough - and rather take longer to have more a sophisticated bandit implementation.

Zombies getting stuck is not interesting nor varied. If they cannot scale a block for some reason they should try and rage against it instead or find a different path. No shape of block should result in them gettings completely stuck in some loop, never being able to hit or get past it. But it seems Faatal is already working on this.

Agreed, I also think they shouldnt just get stuck infinitely.

Indeed it does snow in the desert. But the snow biome is like snow-capped mountains, alpine lands or some kind of tundra right? There is no sand underneath the thick layer of snow either. If there actually were a snow covered desert biome or at least a blend biome where the two biomes would meet sure. But otherwise you will keep getting this comments over and over.

I am hoping some kind of biome blends are on the roadmap, so that there can always be a nice transition between two biomes where there is a biome that shares traits with both biomes (like snow covered desert between snow and desert, plains between desert and forest etc).

I live in Arizona amid the cactus. About 90 minutes north is flagstaff. Mountainous terrain that gets snow covered in winter. After a nuclear winter it would be much worse I'd imagine.

Madmole,

Some feedback for turrets. What do you think of a "target flyers only" in the interface?

Might be useful so you could conserve ammo for flyers, but I would think you could probably pull that off by making them mounted in an opaque box at roof level.

Madmole or Faatal, do we have any news of the bandits? The last time we knew something was in A15 in a Madmole video, is it something discarded for A19?

Was never on the 19 roadmap, so it was never discarded. Take a look at the first post to see what we're planning for A19. Art has done some work on bandits, but right now we're putting guys on the zombie art like the new hd boe I showed. Bandits will come in A20 or 21, etc. We've hired two new programmers, and the art staff is about 7 now, counting two sub contractors so I think we're poised now to get them in.

I think they could add some kind of basic bandits relatively quickly. (using the zombie AI, and giving some them guns, other models and sounds). But that might be not exciting enough - and rather take longer to have more a sophisticated bandit implementation.

We're only adding shippable content now, no temp or wip stuff. So when bandits arrive they will be awesome, aside from final tuning and balance.

Was never on the 19 roadmap, so it was never discarded. Take a look at the first post to see what we're planning for A19. Art has done some work on bandits, but right now we're putting guys on the zombie art like the new hd boe I showed. Bandits will come in A20 or 21, etc. We've hired two new programmers, and the art staff is about 7 now, counting two sub contractors so I think we're poised now to get them in.

sweet but i thought the "infected survivor" was Joe

Too many Oe's

Moe, joe , joel , boe

i need grog now

Thank you very much for the clarification, I can't wait to see the new bandits, I love that they have more new people, the family stops and we like that, keep up the good work guys

For Int Melee:

sharp stick (reintroduced lol) > Blunderbuss (redesigned for max range of 2) > Stun Baton

For Int Range:

Junk Sledge > Junk Turret > Junk Drone

orrrrr...

Melee:

sharp stick > Stun Baton > Junk Sledge

Range:

Blunderbuss > Junk Turret > Junk Drone

The blunderbuss would fit perfect under the INT tree imo...

I live in Arizona amid the cactus. About 90 minutes north is flagstaff. Mountainous terrain that gets snow covered in winter. After a nuclear winter it would be much worse I'd imagine.

90 Minutes? Is that not still quite far apart then, not really a good measure of distance but lets say 100 km/h that means at least 150 km away, so in game that would be, assuming 8k maps which means its almost 19 maps apart. Not to mention it is only snow covered in winter not the whole year round.

Not really my intention to nitpick on your actual situation, but if that were in the game it would be plausible with those distances and temps. But the current depiction of the snow biome in the game is a year round snow covered land where it almost always freezes, and the desert is a super hot desert where the sun always burns and even during the nights it does not cool down as much. If there would be seasons or snow deserts, plausible weather it would be much better, but right now those 2 biomes are each other's opposites climatically.

Archived