Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

1, You can't even craft a drone without serious investment. Isn't that the point of a trap, to do the work for you? I haven't even played an INT build because I knew all along it was missing the stuff we're adding now, so I'll do an INT build and you can expect some balance changes.

2, Snow next to desert is 100% normal. I get tired of hearing this crap, dude it SNOWS in the desert. Sorry but on this I'm playing the realism card, AND the game play card. Why put artificial limits on something that is potentially fun and happens in nature? Biome sizes are like A18, huge. There will be typically be one of each AFAIK but I need to see some more rolls.

3, The core game play is finished.

As an example, Antarctica is considered a frozen desert.

I'm worried that beloved devs at the end of the day would have to spend more time on fixing and rebalancing values with more stuff shipped with every alpha. It's always super exciting to see more content like weapons, tools, schemes, etc. 7DTD feels to me like an arcade game with elements of horror (no hardcore bugs this time xd), survival and simulation. I would really like to see more content supporting a group of people playing together, similar to perks influence perks. Devs could create synergy like 1+1 equals 3. Playing together with a friend or random players could generate more benefits. My impression is that devs derive a lot from the Fallout and TES series. Honestly, to boost sales it would rather take adding GTA + Left for Dead elements into a game, but still, it's not easy to follow devs vison. In 7dtd I`d rather seek replayability, some sort of ultimate sandbox experience. Something to come back after some time, months of absence.

Some of the folks mentioned something like a persistent profile(s). I would really embrace the idea of having a character in which progression could be saved. So in return leveled character might have been able to join any server. Sacred game style progression and replayability system. Entering any random server with the zeroed character really sucks, especially when with every alpha character progression has to be erased. Gained experience and perks (skills, whatever) must be savable in current alpha and character possibly to be transferred/saved to another server/game.

I can`t wait to lay my hand on the desert eagle-like weapon and automatic shotgun. I`m a huge fan of first-person shooters. I used to modify Battlefield 2 (2005) having the most popular modded server between 2011-12 according to game tracker. I`m still waiting for 4 seats armored 4x4 RWD vehicle ;D.

Isn't there enough synergy already? While I still drive around with a minibike in my single player game at day ~50 , in the 4 player co-op game we all have gyros at day 24.

Isn't there enough synergy already? While I still drive around with a minibike in my single player game at day ~50 , in the 4 player co-op game we all have gyros at day 24.

exactly. day 36 and i have a minibike. no need for anything else excpet a motorcycle just for more speed.

except this bug where if i die near my mini bike that is inside a quest zone, when i die the mini bike dupes and now i have 6 bikes somehow LOL

That is true, but the temperature difference is not. 7d2d equates "desert" with "hot as hell", so it's only fair to ask snow not to be right next to that.

I don't see what the big deal is. I never once had weather issues when it suddenly turned to an ice cube at random in ARK (all one big biome), I just deal with it. At least in 7 Days you have a choice, don't go there if you don't like it.

@madmole regarding the new Treasure Hunter skill set: How will the loot distribution work for buried treasures? Right now I'd say generally buried treasure quests are useful for early game, but less so for mid and late game. What will justify the investment in this skill set to get to the higher stage? What will we be hoping to find in buried treasure chests on Day 50 or 100? Thanks!

There has been leveled loot in those since A18. Weapons, armor, etc.

Thanks for the feedback Madmole, its always awesome to hear from you.

With A19 are you changing the AI to stop the loops they run when they cant get at you,

Eg the bridge trap with the slopes at the end, so they think its solid and run through it and fall through it and do the loop again.

If you are in a tower and you have the falling trap, they attack your towers base instead of trying to run back to the bridge again and do it all again, or they attack and break the bridge.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Anni

I have no interest in closing specific AI exploits, I don't use them so they don't affect me. Its the Hydra of games, cut one head off two more take its place. Faatal does all the AI, but he's mainly working on graphics for this alpha so I wouldn't expect much AI changes. Vultures can now attack cages and roofs though, so that will be interesting.

Agreed, MP needs to be more challenging not less.

yes it does need to be more challenging, but its current implementation doesnt seem to be working out very well for a lot of players.. The gs ramping up per player doesnt slow down game play. it doesnt make them level up any slower. all it does is bring in higher level zombies long before they should. instead, ever consider an xp penalty? the more people there are the less exp you gain because the challenge is less? Bringing in irradiated and demolishers before week 2 or 3 just because of group gs is the wrong way to go about it.

yes it does need to be more challenging, but its current implementation doesnt seem to be working out very well for a lot of players.. The gs ramping up per player doesnt slow down game play. it doesnt make them level up any slower. all it does is bring in higher level zombies long before they should. instead, ever consider an xp penalty? the more people there are the less exp you gain because the challenge is less? Bringing in irradiated and demolishers before week 2 or 3 just because of group gs is the wrong way to go about it.

That is an entirely different problem. If you take away shared XP nobody is going to quest together. I think its too generous, but making them lose XP would be the wrong way to go. We just need to reduce the game stage multiplier from teams so its not so punishing by day 21-28.

Madmole I have a great doubt, will the A18 weapons and tools also have the new style of A19 weapons? I mean the new weapons have that post apocalyptic touch that makes it great, it would also be missing at 9mm to the Ak 47, the rifle, the M10 and the tools, leave a great style and according to the game

With A19 are you changing the AI to stop the loops they run when they cant get at you,

Eg the bridge trap with the slopes at the end, so they think its solid and run through it and fall through it and do the loop again.

If you are in a tower and you have the falling trap, they attack your towers base instead of trying to run back to the bridge again and do it all again, or they attack and break the bridge.

I finished some changes to AI last week specifically for that case. AI now do some height evaluation in their path, so dumber ones tend to not want to go through the effort of climbing the ramp, but some will and it changes over time. Destroy area chance is now also shared/increased with the zombies around the one that fell, so a little different behavior there too.

Madmole I have a great doubt, will the A18 weapons and tools also have the new style of A19 weapons? I mean the new weapons have that post apocalyptic touch that makes it great, it would also be missing at 9mm to the Ak 47, the rifle, the M10 and the tools, leave a great style and according to the game

It is mainly t3 melee weapons and tools that have that look. Firearms are derivatives of what is out there in the real world already with some repairs/mods/wear and tear.

I finished some changes to AI last week specifically for that case. AI now do some height evaluation in their path, so dumber ones tend to not want to go through the effort of climbing the ramp, but some will and it changes over time. Destroy area chance is now also shared/increased with the zombies around the one that fell, so a little different behavior there too.

How about the pyramid slopes people are using? The zombies attempt to walk up, but cant and instead of attacking the block they just walk in place.

It is mainly t3 melee weapons and tools that have that look. Firearms are derivatives of what is out there in the real world already with some repairs/mods/wear and tear.

But could all firearms look like that? and some tools? It would be great

That is an entirely different problem. If you take away shared XP nobody is going to quest together. I think its too generous, but making them lose XP would be the wrong way to go. We just need to reduce the game stage multiplier from teams so its not so punishing by day 21-28.

I am glad you are looking into this. and yes taking away xp would be bad. and shared xp when questing together is a gimp. you already make it easier by doing them in groups and sharing the quests, getting 2-3 more quests done in the same amount of time gaining the quest xp and the rewards for the turn ins. my group and I would do so without the shared xp because of the speed factor and as someone else said, more people = less threat currently. I mean gs may go up, and horde amounts will get harder, but I have NOT noticed regular sleepers and quest zeds get any harder in a group.

Madmole, in which Alpha or beta, will we have botanical update? We need more variety of plants, aquatic plants, fungi, flowers and exclusive plants per biome, imagine a flower that is only born in the biome and you need it if or if to be able to create a cure or a potion, don't you think it's a good idea?

Madmole, in which Alpha or beta, will we have botanical update? We need more variety of plants, aquatic plants, fungi, flowers and exclusive plants per biome, imagine a flower that is only born in the biome and you need it if or if to be able to create a cure or a potion, don't you think it's a good idea?

or.....imagine a variety of candies filling vending machines everywhere acting as cures and potions..... ;)

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived