Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Are you still on Alpha 16 or something? You aren't safe underground since A17.

A18.2 b5 I tried that and it worked. I wasn't safe only when I put 1 block above me. But 2 blocks make it safe. But i tried that only at first few hordes.

A18.2 b5 I tried that and it worked. I wasn't safe only when I put 1 block above me. But 2 blocks make it safe. But i tried that only at first few hordes.

Zeds probably had a path where blocks with lower HP were around and didn`t have the destroy all mode to dig to you.

Guys, the details, perfect.

Offtopic, are there any specs in mind on the auto shotgun, such as damage or range ?

I'm kind of hoping players will be desperate to find tier 3 weapons to keep up with the radiated impending doom. That might happen now, or A20 or so. Depends, we need to replace the generic radiated with new ones that are harder to kill and have interesting AI. Like Ark when you see a giga the first time, you RUN.

I'm kind of hoping players will be desperate to find tier 3 weapons to keep up with the radiated impending doom. That might happen now, or A20 or so. Depends, we need to replace the generic radiated with new ones that are harder to kill and have interesting AI. Like Ark when you see a giga the first time, you RUN.

These new AI on the new radiated zeds sounds fantastic, haven`t played Ark so much to know who to run from, but I know what you mean. Tier 3 weapon or rule #1 Cardio ? Both!

You know the drill, make us scared :)

Hard work.

That has always been the case, but we've been bringing on more and more staff steadily and that requires you to improve your design and production process so there is no wasted effort and less iterations. We're also very careful about working from the road map and being stingy about what we commit to so we can get builds out.

The huge builds were too much to process for both us and the consumer, so we want to do shorter more focused builds, so the whole QA to stable process is short and sweet instead of long and arduous. Hopefully we'll have a few systems fully tested and signed off by QA soon. Like now we're prioritizing finishing a system so QA can get it sooner than later instead of everything coming online all at the end, then have loads of bugs to fix. So instead of a guy starting a new system which also needs bug fixed before release, he's spending time fixing the system he just wrote while its fresh in his head. This means pushing a feature out to the next alpha, but it also means having a higher quality alpha that is well tested before release, so hopefully a shorter experimental process, and shorter final push before EXP. I'm excited to see how it goes!

I'm loving the sound of these new zombie types, would also love if the new exploding zombie had a chance of spawning outside of horde (I've never ran into one in the wild).

This touches on an idea I had for a new type of job you could get from a trader. Once accepting the job you receive a "package" and are tasked with going to a half dozen different locations in a city to restock the vending machines. When you do the final one the package disappears and you return to the trader for a reward.

This sounds really interesting and forces you to open and explore, and plans to implement such quests @madmole

2, Snow next to desert is 100% normal. I get tired of hearing this crap, dude it SNOWS in the desert. Sorry but on this I'm playing the realism card, AND the game play card. Why put artificial limits on something that is potentially fun and happens in nature? Biome sizes are like A18, huge. There will be typically be one of each AFAIK but I need to see some more rolls.

That is true, but the temperature difference is not. 7d2d equates "desert" with "hot as hell", so it's only fair to ask snow not to be right next to that.

@madmole regarding the new Treasure Hunter skill set: How will the loot distribution work for buried treasures? Right now I'd say generally buried treasure quests are useful for early game, but less so for mid and late game. What will justify the investment in this skill set to get to the higher stage? What will we be hoping to find in buried treasure chests on Day 50 or 100? Thanks!

I'm worried that beloved devs at the end of the day would have to spend more time on fixing and rebalancing values with more stuff shipped with every alpha. It's always super exciting to see more content like weapons, tools, schemes, etc. 7DTD feels to me like an arcade game with elements of horror (no hardcore bugs this time xd), survival and simulation. I would really like to see more content supporting a group of people playing together, similar to perks influence perks. Devs could create synergy like 1+1 equals 3. Playing together with a friend or random players could generate more benefits. My impression is that devs derive a lot from the Fallout and TES series. Honestly, to boost sales it would rather take adding GTA + Left for Dead elements into a game, but still, it's not easy to follow devs vison. In 7dtd I`d rather seek replayability, some sort of ultimate sandbox experience. Something to come back after some time, months of absence.

Some of the folks mentioned something like a persistent profile(s). I would really embrace the idea of having a character in which progression could be saved. So in return leveled character might have been able to join any server. Sacred game style progression and replayability system. Entering any random server with the zeroed character really sucks, especially when with every alpha character progression has to be erased. Gained experience and perks (skills, whatever) must be savable in current alpha and character possibly to be transferred/saved to another server/game.

I can`t wait to lay my hand on the desert eagle-like weapon and automatic shotgun. I`m a huge fan of first-person shooters. I used to modify Battlefield 2 (2005) having the most popular modded server between 2011-12 according to game tracker. I`m still waiting for 4 seats armored 4x4 RWD vehicle ;D.

Thanks! The fog is new, how it looks will continue to change until 19 is stable.

There will be no true end game, but kill the boss type quests.

Thanks for the feedback Madmole, its always awesome to hear from you.

With A19 are you changing the AI to stop the loops they run when they cant get at you,

Eg the bridge trap with the slopes at the end, so they think its solid and run through it and fall through it and do the loop again.

If you are in a tower and you have the falling trap, they attack your towers base instead of trying to run back to the bridge again and do it all again, or they attack and break the bridge.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Anni

...snip... it also means having a higher quality alpha that is well tested before release, so hopefully a shorter experimental process, and shorter final push before EXP. I'm excited to see how it goes!

Yes please adopt a C.I / C.D process!

Archived