Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Well, I don't know about you, but I lose stamina in real life if I'm even just a little hungry. The working world learned of this, and the lunch break was born.

I on the contrary - it is heavy to me work/running on a full stomach. I like to lie down after a meal.

Perhaps that's why i have a misunderstanding of current system.

Me easier run on an empty stomach, and it is difficult - if i have that the aching.

Hmm....strange, i not such as all?

It can make the loot system a friend, now we need to click to loot something, but I think it would be better if we hold the button and not press, it would be convenient if you started loot and somewhere from the back came a zombie.

Making repair not possible on brown and orange would help with early game scrounging for sure. It would be like that one zombie game criminal something years ago monolith made where every weapon was throw away. The problem is consistency. Not spawning guns until higher levels will help. Sure they would be a chance, but low. Most the time finding broken guns or parts on low gs loot boxes will promote crafting.

Perhaps weapons should have a "Repairs left" stat. Brown and orange weapons have only 5-10, but getting past that gets up to 50 or just infinite.

Could make it "Breaks left", so that you can keep a brown gun going as long as you keep it well maintained, but this will cost more repair kits.

Perhaps weapons should have a "Repairs left" stat. Brown and orange weapons have only 5-10, but getting past that gets up to 50 or just infinite.

Could make it "Breaks left", so that you can keep a brown gun going as long as you keep it well maintained, but this will cost more repair kits.

Or have the weapons and items a larger range of quality, say from 1-600 and they degrade a bit permanently from repairing? (with added perks to reduce that penalty) :D

Hey now! Let's not discourage any complex system designs. Chances are they might eventually end up streamlined but lets start with something interesting at least...

I'll give anything a shot.

That said, I think repairs of this nature are only going to lead to players carrying the items with them anyway. I know I do in games that can have engine/whatever part failure. I just carry an extra and swap it out. The 'value' of the repair depends on the reliability of obtaining that needed item and/or the inventory space needed to carry it. Personally, I will lineface (gently) more inventory slots being relegated to 'must haves'.

Yet, I will carry the hope of being pleasantly surprised and not linefacing.

Making repair not possible on brown and orange would help with early game scrounging for sure. It would be like that one zombie game criminal something years ago monolith made where every weapon was throw away. The problem is consistency. Not spawning guns until higher levels will help. Sure they would be a chance, but low. Most the time finding broken guns or parts on low gs loot boxes will promote crafting.

Any thoughts on decreasing the rate in which gamestage increases in the future? This isn't a request but just me speaking out of curiousity. Maybe it's because I am aggressive in leveling and thus my gamestage is usually higher than most, but imo it would be an "unnerving situation" to typically be fighting against ferals without a "decent weapon", since you're all proposing that the early game be stretched out. (My opinion of that? Yes please. :D) Again, I have zero concerns and this post will probably have no weight, this is just one random thought that popped in my mind (finding decent weapons at later gamestages = possibly being unprepared until then, unless gamestage was tweaked slightly?).

(Also, just my opinion, and maybe I'm wrong, but the transition between ferals to radiateds is a bit... sudden, anyway? *Shrugs* Again, no complaints nonetheless. :) )

Any thoughts on decreasing the rate in which gamestage increases in the future? This isn't a request but just me speaking out of curiousity. Maybe it's because I am aggressive in leveling and thus my gamestage is usually higher than most, but imo it would be an "unnerving situation" to typically be fighting against ferals without a "decent weapon", since you're all proposing that the early game be stretched out. (My opinion of that? Yes please. :D) Again, I have zero concerns and this post will probably have no weight, this is just one random thought that popped in my mind (finding decent weapons at later gamestages = possibly being unprepared until then, unless gamestage was tweaked slightly?).

(Also, just my opinion, and maybe I'm wrong, but the transition between ferals to radiateds is a bit... sudden, anyway? *Shrugs* Again, no complaints nonetheless. :) )

+1

A friend and I were just talking about this last night. I agree.

Could this be the Alpha that we get to see bandits and other NPC's in the game? :)

Did you see them mentioned in the first post? I thought not. Its not supposed to be a long wait a year for the next update thing.. its supposed to be a smaller regular trickle feed type thing.

+1

A friend and I were just talking about this last night. I agree.

And yet I turned the XP gain down to 50% (and installed a modlet that gave me 2 perk points per level, of course), but it felt much too slow to me, to the point that I got bored and just deleted the save. Then again, I'm used to charging head-first into the levels, so maybe that's just me. :p

But yeah, the transition between ferals and irradiateds... Is a bit sudden, imo? Then again, gotta make sure the new players see everything. :)

And yet I turned the XP gain down to 50% (and installed a modlet that gave me 2 perk points per level, of course), but it felt much too slow to me, to the point that I got bored and just deleted the save. Then again, I'm used to charging head-first into the levels, so maybe that's just me. :p

But yeah, the transition between ferals and irradiateds... Is a bit sudden, imo? Then again, gotta make sure the new players see everything. :)

Yeah. At the very least a slider so we can choose the rate at which gamestage increases, I would be happy with that. This has been something I have wanted since the first few weeks of playing A17.

We decided to go with more late game super weapons since America is chock full of hunting rifles, shotties and pistols.

well what about weapons that were specially made for the wasteland like the junk turret

granted i would rather uses a pistol then make a gun that has a high chance of blowing my hands off but some weapons that were made for different purposes

like a Dart rifle that gives other uses for darts but would also be a nice stealth weapon with nice penetration

a special shotgun that can uses both blunderbuss rounds and shotgun shells

heck even some mods for the junker/junk turret

like one to shoot arrow heads , bullet tips , glass , nails etc. one that has a chance to set enemies a blaze , a railgun like mod that has a slow firing rate but wrecks zombies! with a charged shot (much like a bow). and a air compressor that allows it to shoot faster?

idk just a idea

RWG changes always force a restart which is not something TFP will do for point releases. Anything that would require people to abandon their current save will be kept back until the next major release.

Are we not supposed to restart for each build update anyways ?

Only way we can report bugs appropriately isn’t it and progress the game. Who cares if we restart with every build. It’s a choice to update yes ? You can stop it in steam.

Throw those RWG updates in pleeeaaassseeeee. :)

Sounds very nice. I love the Book System as it is right now.

But I really wished you would consider going back to the Learning-by-Doing Perk Tree, because it feels very unnatural the way it is right now. The way it is built you can specialize the way it is designed, but not the way you'd like to. For example: I am specializing in roaming around. I hunt, gather, do quests and trade. My weapons are bow and knife. So far so good. You can specialize in that with the same perk tree. But what about the looking for animals? Its in Perception. What about the better use of knife? I skill strength for the Sexual Tyrannosaurus only. And trading is in the Intellect tree. I can't put a good skill set together. The way it was before you had to use certain tools/ weopons/ skills to further enhance them. I could barter and get the chance to get better at it. I could fight with knife and got better at that. I COULD hunt animals that way and maybe get better at finding and gutting them?!

The way it is now, you just decide which Attribute you want, which suites you best. And then go nuts within the specific perk tree. It's like every ARPG ever created. Come with me to the learning-by-doing side! We don't have cookies yet, but if I try and make them, they WILL eventually be veeery tasty!

I have to agree, but for me I handicap myself by choosing to play a on an mp server that is 5/6 difficulty.

well what about weapons that were specially made for the wasteland like the junk turret

granted i would rather uses a pistol then make a gun that has a high chance of blowing my hands off but some weapons that were made for different purposes

like a Dart rifle that gives other uses for darts but would also be a nice stealth weapon with nice penetration

a special shotgun that can uses both blunderbuss rounds and shotgun shells

heck even some mods for the junker/junk turret

like one to shoot arrow heads , bullet tips , glass , nails etc. one that has a chance to set enemies a blaze , a railgun like mod that has a slow firing rate but wrecks zombies! with a charged shot (much like a bow). and a air compressor that allows it to shoot faster?

idk just a idea

Yeah, the guns (except for hunting rifle and double barrel) in 7dtd have been developed for fighting humans, and a lot of the same logic that informed their design wouldn't apply to fighting zombies.

Since zombies are tougher, raw stopping power and ammo efficiency is a lot more important. On the other hand they can't engage at long range, so stuff like weapon handling, long-range accuracy, and suppressing fire ability could be sacrificed. Portability is of no concern as long as I have the ability to fit a car in my backpack.

I'm thinking once bandits come into play, the two weapon types could be balanced: modern weapons are good against bandits, and post-war weapons are good against zombies.

Yeah, the guns (except for hunting rifle and double barrel) in 7dtd have been developed for fighting humans, and a lot of the same logic that informed their design wouldn't apply to fighting zombies.

Since zombies are tougher, raw stopping power and ammo efficiency is a lot more important. On the other hand they can't engage at long range, so stuff like weapon handling, long-range accuracy, and suppressing fire ability could be sacrificed. Portability is of no concern as long as I have the ability to fit a car in my backpack.

I'm thinking once bandits come into play, the two weapon types could be balanced: modern weapons are good against bandits, and post-war weapons are good against zombies.

well i think the weapons should be both!

maybe some mods for weapons like Strip clips: gives 4 extra shoots for the hunting rifle (no more no less)

quad barrel and hunting barrel for double barrel and more i could come up with!

but each weapon can have a specially like double barrel dose more raw damage but less range!

Or have the weapons and items a larger range of quality, say from 1-600 and they degrade a bit permanently from repairing? (with added perks to reduce that penalty) :D

Well: They deserve that sarcasm by every inch. "They" refers to both the user community as well as the funpimps.

We had a perk system that was fun until A15/A16, and there was a good amount of people complaining about it being too grindy and too complicated. Then the funpimps scrapped it and replaced it with the current one. And for sure, you now have a good amount of players complaining about the current system being too easy, and while thinking about how to make it more difficult for the advanced players, landing at the exact same type we had in the good old times.

They all deserve it.

I need more popcorn!

Fight!

I on the contrary - it is heavy to me work/running on a full stomach. I like to lie down after a meal.

Me easier run on an empty stomach, and it is difficult - if i have that the aching.

Stop thinking of it as a literal food bar representing how much food is in your belly and instead think of it as energy from the calories. So you aren't running around full and bloated. You are running around totally energized by what you ate and you can eat enough to just barely give you the energy for full stamina or you can eat enough to remain highly energized for awhile before your stamina starts falling.

The bar doesn't represent your stomach capacity. The bar represents your energy gained from eating.

That would be terrible. If you get in a pinch and go low health you won't be able to survive just because on top of being low health your stamina is reduced to nothing. Imagine bleeding too. It's already deadly and annoying enough, if on top of that every point you bleed also bled stamina...

You are hurt bad and can't run or mine or work... that would be horrible.

Could this be the Alpha that we get to see bandits and other NPC's in the game? :)

Not unless 19 has multiple updates. I'd like 19 to drop late Q1 of 2020, and 20 in summer of 2020, which could have melee bandits if things go well. Ranged ones might be harder and come Q3 or something. This is what I'd like, not what I'm promising, for those who love to misquote "promises I made".

That sounds like you are over eating. Of course you don't want to go for a jog right after a meal but it shouldn't be so heavy that you feel like a nap. Also high carb diets have this effect, you might consider eating less carbs and more fat and a moderate protien diet. I eat carbs for breakfast and the rest of the day hardly any. I have way more stable energy using protein and fat for energy. With carbs my energy is all over the place and cause sweating, hungry or energy crash 2 hours after a big meal etc.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived