Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

@MM

not posting much anymore. But you said back when A18 released that you are just now taking a look at electricity.

Sooo... anything that you noticed?

Just a quick reminder:

-Electric current can not be interconnected (so no 2 powersources and no massive grid and electric fences can't form a square)

-On that point: if you have a solar panel (50 watt) powering a solar bank (300 watt), at night, it will switch to the batterybank, but in daylight you only have the 50 watt, even if the batterybank could output more (cameras, some traps for roaming Z's and whatnot)

-connecting doors with motion cameras works, but is a pain and super confusing to newer people, even if they read the tooltip

-Generators can not hold enough fuel for multiplayer, but it would be comfortable for singleplayer as well to have like a huge oildrum that could fuel it.

And while I got your attention:

I know you dislike foodspoilage. So a working fridge is out of the question. But maybe add more electrical applyances for better quality of life.

examples include:

-working oven for all baking recipes (better cooking and less ressource management)

-frying pan for some hp regen foods

-electric furnace (maybe for steel, but also so that you do not need to refuel every 20 minutes)

-acclimation (heater and ventilation) with enourmous radius

-wood fuel generator

I don't want to say it because it sounds uninspired, but maybe take inspiration from Tekkit. You do not go overboard with it, but since 7d2d lacks an endgame, giving us more goals to "automate" our base is an awesome way to prelong the gametime.

Thank you for your attention.

Smile new. Support. Support. Support.

: Улыбка новые:: Поддержка:: Поддержка:: Поддержка:

Digging quests for food are an essential part of co-op multiplayer diets at the start of a game. If players lost that just because their trader was not Rekt, it would greatly imbalance the game IMHO. Rewards of other quests seem uncritical though and could be specialized.

Really now? Food is so abundant in the game you really do not need this quest to come by. And if it is, its more a problem that this particular quest drops so much in comparison to other activities. Food is only an issue in co-op if there are leechers in the group not pulling their weight :)

Really now? Food is so abundant in the game you really do not need this quest to come by. And if it is, its more a problem that this particular quest drops so much in comparison to other activities. Food is only an issue in co-op if there are leechers in the group not pulling their weight :)

I think canned food should be less common in cabinets, vending machines in random POIS don't work (like in stores), water could be the same but drinking Dirty water has a higher chance of getting you sick, heck it could give you a infection (due to water being contaminated with zombie blood and flesh).

cuz for the wasteland, food and water is kinda easy to find, it shouldn't be Super hard to the point were you would eat any person you see, but it shouldn't be no Cake walk ether.

I have started playing with 50% loot and 2 buried treasure chests from the trader had only the "cache" inside, without any other items. This pained me twice as i ate a Corn at Day 1 and my food went down to 24 instantly, without any provisions around.

Tough luck i suppose, but it depends on the game you choose.

BTW: Yeah, it's really annoying to not be able to see all those texts, that are now black on the forums... :/

Eeehhhh I'm not really a fan of this. I know they still sell everything but now you're gonna have players going "Ah ♥♥♥♥ I got the one with the seeds". I mean Rekt is only really going to be useful early game in that regard. I think alternatively you keep the specialization but generate a couple extra traders per location so this doesn't happen.

That is your problem, you are spoiled getting used to one guy giving you everything you need. Now you have to wonder, hmmm maybe I need to find the other ones. There is still a chance they have what you are looking for, its just less likely. Do you go to a convenience store for antibiotics or a pharmacy? I mean sure if one is on the way look quick, but plan on needing to diversify your search. Needs are good.

That is your problem, you are spoiled getting used to one guy giving you everything you need. Now you have to wonder, hmmm maybe I need to find the other ones. There is still a chance they have what you are looking for, its just less likely. Do you go to a convenience store for antibiotics or a pharmacy? I mean sure if one is on the way look quick, but plan on needing to diversify your search. Needs are good.

That is true, it is really nice having everything in one place so to speak. But this game doesn't take place in a suburban area, it's a sprawling wasteland with traders kilometers apart. Getting the "bad" traders would be less annoying if they were more common across the wasteland, but you could potentially be half a day's travel from the next one in this game, and I think there's enough time spent traveling as it is. I mean, if they all sell the same stuff at different rates anyway, why would I do that? It kind of seems like a huge waste of gas/time.

I like the idea but they're too far away from each other for it to be fun for me, I don't want to spend 10 minutes straight driving/flying to the next trader, especially with the risk of him having nothing interesting for me to purchase when I get there. Honestly I think the best way to fix this would be to reduce the gas intake when "sprinting" with vehicles, or just up their base speed. Or maybe have them all have the same pool with the same rates of inventory, but each one has a unique secret vault based around their specialty instead?

That is true, it is really nice having everything in one place so to speak. But this game doesn't take place in a suburban area, it's a sprawling wasteland with traders kilometers apart. Getting the "bad" traders would be less annoying if they were more common across the wasteland, but you could potentially be half a day's travel from the next one in this game, and I think there's enough time spent traveling as it is. I mean, if they all sell the same stuff at different rates anyway, why would I do that? It kind of seems like a huge waste of gas/time.

I like the idea but they're too far away from each other for it to be fun for me, I don't want to spend 10 minutes straight driving/flying to the next trader, especially with the risk of him having nothing interesting for me to purchase when I get there. Honestly I think the best way to fix this would be to reduce the gas intake when "sprinting" with vehicles, or just up their base speed. Or maybe have them all have the same pool with the same rates of inventory, but each one has a unique secret vault based around their specialty instead?

maybe later on there could be small enclaves of survivors in POIS or that just roam around that can sell some ok goods?

they would have a Limit of how much dukes they have, say 1,000. you buy something that's 200, they have 1,200

and they can sell almost anything but a small amount, like 20 or 15 items in total.

while other enclaves may attack you, scavenge, roam or just hold the fort. others offer as small traders, some work for while river some don't!

Not bad, will they also specialize in what kind of quests they offer. Like digging for Rekt gets you food/seed items and digging for Jen meds etc? Will they send you for specific items they seek or POIs that match their specialization?

We've talked about that, but there might not be enough specific POIs to do that effectively. I'd rather maybe do a specific quest for that trader that is hand groomed, but we probably don't have the man power or time to do those kind of quests.

Not yet, but I am going to look at that when I'm done with the first pass.

Hi MM. I have potato minimum and I found that some a17/18 stuff does not have the proper texture size scaling, meaning eight size is not as sluggish as it should be resulting in 10-35fps performance drops near and inside relatively new buildings with textures like: wood ceiling trims, red bricks, stone bricks, dry walls.... etc. Is it a known issue or are textures being addressed? May I consider it a bug?

MM, so we will have several merchants in one place? Or will we only have one seller per location? (move your ass and look for the others?)

- - - Updated - - -

MM, will we have the industrial oven in A19? And what happened to the alchemy table to make special potions?

Is the .50 a confirmed weapon for A19?

Only one per location, unless you get a very lucky random gen I would think.

Not sure where you got those ideas, none of that is on the roadmap. You can already make drugs at a chem station.

@MM

not posting much anymore. But you said back when A18 released that you are just now taking a look at electricity.

Sooo... anything that you noticed?

Just a quick reminder:

-Electric current can not be interconnected (so no 2 powersources and no massive grid and electric fences can't form a square)

-On that point: if you have a solar panel (50 watt) powering a solar bank (300 watt), at night, it will switch to the batterybank, but in daylight you only have the 50 watt, even if the batterybank could output more (cameras, some traps for roaming Z's and whatnot)

-connecting doors with motion cameras works, but is a pain and super confusing to newer people, even if they read the tooltip

-Generators can not hold enough fuel for multiplayer, but it would be comfortable for singleplayer as well to have like a huge oildrum that could fuel it.

And while I got your attention:

I know you dislike foodspoilage. So a working fridge is out of the question. But maybe add more electrical applyances for better quality of life.

examples include:

-working oven for all baking recipes (better cooking and less ressource management)

-frying pan for some hp regen foods

-electric furnace (maybe for steel, but also so that you do not need to refuel every 20 minutes)

-acclimation (heater and ventilation) with enourmous radius

-wood fuel generator

I don't want to say it because it sounds uninspired, but maybe take inspiration from Tekkit. You do not go overboard with it, but since 7d2d lacks an endgame, giving us more goals to "automate" our base is an awesome way to prelong the gametime.

Thank you for your attention.

I gave electricity a bit of love in 18, the rest is fine. If you think something is a bug report it in the bug forum.

I'd like to see a late game industrial cooker/stove yet, and an industrial forge.

When do we get a good update.

Top tier shotgun sounds nice but everything else in this post is crap.

If you think junk drones, sledges, new books, specialized goods at traders, several new weapons, amazing new graphics are all crap, then I'd say probably never since you are too hard to please.

Its perfectly fine. It is a tactical choice to spend the time traveling there, or wait it out for the restock at your current trader. I always spent a full day hitting every trader with my gryo on my late games. I'd take different routes to uncover more POIs and mark them for sweep and retrieval. This game is all about optimizing your time for maximum productivity, so when traveling I mark POIs that look interesting, look for nodes I don't have, and keep an eye out for other resources. When I go to trader Bob who was in the desert, I set up an oil mine near by, and I'd hit trader bob at dusk, mine a bunch of shale and be back by morning at my base, load the chem station and forges and then go about my business.

It can be fun if you make it fun. We're not going to make things convenient just because one guy doesn't like that travel time, when over 10 million probably do enjoy it, and its supposed to be hard/time consuming to do things. If there was a trader at every corner with everything you needed, the game would be boring and vehicles would not be even needed.

...y'all must be trying to kill the forums... what's up with this new color scheme on subforums? =)

css.php has some broken color-styles: "color:ffefbb;" is missing a "#" ;)

body {
width:1050px;
min-width:650px;
max-width:auto;
margin: 0px auto 0px auto;
font-size:13px;
color:[b][u][color="#FF0000"]#[/color][/u][/b]ffefbb;
line-height:1.230;
}

Hi MM. I have potato minimum and I found that some a17/18 stuff does not have the proper texture size scaling, meaning eight size is not as sluggish as it should be resulting in 10-35fps performance drops near and inside relatively new buildings with textures like: wood ceiling trims, red bricks, stone bricks, dry walls.... etc. Is it a known issue or are textures being addressed? May I consider it a bug?

Being near or in a building probably is loading up all the coffee pots and stuff that was culled and putting additional load on your computer. Not a bug, you just need to upgrade, turn settings down even further or wait for further optimizations.

We do have a dynamic resolution feature coming that will keep fps in a certain range, but that only works if you have headroom to lower the settings. It basically down samples your resolution on the fly to keep things running smooth, when the frames are there it goes back to normal.

As long as I can creative menu myself the starting quest to find new traders it's a non-issue for me. Let TFPs go crazy :)

We've talked about that, but there might not be enough specific POIs to do that effectively. I'd rather maybe do a specific quest for that trader that is hand groomed, but we probably don't have the man power or time to do those kind of quests.

You are probably right, need to spend the time as effective as possible, I guess one such quest per trader that would like unlock after doing x missions only for that trader could be more than enough. Though you would need some handle to send the player to a specific POI though, a function that broke after A16 (currently it can only send a player to a nearby trader sadly).

You are probably right, need to spend the time as effective as possible, I guess one such quest per trader that would like unlock after doing x missions only for that trader could be more than enough. Though you would need some handle to send the player to a specific POI though, a function that broke after A16 (currently it can only send a player to a nearby trader sadly).

After X missions it opens up the opportunity to do work for The Duke or Noah.

the Grip is still on the gun but the leather or cloth is probably just for Comfort.

and i really like the Combat shotgun. there are many parts that are normal but the rest were homemade and im a sucker for that! (Bias i know)

No, the grip is NOT still on the gun. If you look at the picture you see the bare frame under the leather, no grip.

Archived