Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

I'm hoping we can push firearm spawning out a bit so that people actually use it early game.

It is usefull in many ways, I feel a bit ashamed that finally started using it recently. In insane, where we have not much, but few gunpowder and papers, this is more than good to have around. Good plan about making it more usefull.

Now say something more about random biomes :p

Good job, guys.

Any plans to buff or replace the .44 magnum? Most people I meet that have tried a pistols build consider it to be the worst firearm due to the low ammo count and most mods being incompatible with it.

It was pretty good when I did my agility play through in A18.

Any plans to buff or replace the .44 magnum? Most people I meet that have tried a pistols build consider it to be the worst firearm due to the low ammo count and most mods being incompatible with it.

Interesting. I have never heard this. Most people love the Magnum due to its stopping power.

Hey MM, any additional news you can shed on zombies. You mentioned a few pages back the rads would be getting some new art. Any new abilities with it?

Also a LOONG time ago you mentioned in one of your videos that there was a chance you guys were designing a "boss zed" that raised the dead around them. So if this zed was in your vicinity and you killed a normal zed this boss could bring it back to life.

Is this still something that may be planned? Or is that idea the way of the Behemoth.

Right now it is always the same configuration just flipped and/or rotated for a bit of variety. For A19 the configuration is randomized but the biomes are still large so there is no patchwork quilt of tiny biomes.

Sounds like a more fluent map generation, look and feel. You already know that we can`t wait to see more of it, do you ? Don`t smile :D

Interesting. I have never heard this. Most people love the Magnum due to its stopping power.

Maybe it's just myself and the people I've encountered, but a lot of the people I've talked to say it "feels" good to kill the big guys in 1 or 2 shots with the magnum, but it's more much effective to use an SMG with a 40+ mag (and sweet jesus the drum mag) with high hip accuracy and barrel mods and take out entire hordes much quicker.

And I think it's not so much that the magnum is bad, just that there are other high powered clip-fed guns that could fill the same role but better. The Desert Eagle comes to mind if we're talking hand cannons, and they look badass with barrel attachments and could fit mods like extended mag and Rod & Spring

It was pretty good when I did my agility play through in A18.

The magnum is good but it desperately needs a reload time buff. 9 times out of 10 you use the pistol anyway because of its versatility, ability to get you out of a jam (6 shots from a magnum isn't gonna save you from late game sleepers), and it can accept a silencer (stealth character loves this for obvious reasons). Plus, the ammo is a lot cheaper to make.

It was exciting to get my hands on a magnum during my AGI build, but I quickly realized it was just a worse pistol for all the reasons above and more. In particular, you spend more time reloading than shooting, and the firerate seems rather low most of the time. I pretty much only used it for trader discounts from that point on.

It would be greatly improved and actually see some use with a reduction to reload time (mainly cut out the spinning part, that's half the problem) and an increased fire rate (if it could fire as fast as you pull the trigger that would be pretty fun). Yes it would turn into a burst spam gun but it would have a more distinct role from the pistol, while still requiring discipline due to the ammo cost.

Maybe it's just myself and the people I've encountered, but a lot of the people I've talked to say it "feels" good to kill the big guys in 1 or 2 shots with the magnum, but it's more much effective to use an SMG with a 40+ mag (and sweet jesus the drum mag) with high hip accuracy and barrel mods and take out entire hordes much quicker.

And I think it's not so much that the magnum is bad, just that there are other high powered clip-fed guns that could fill the same role but better. The Desert Eagle comes to mind if we're talking hand cannons, and they look badass with barrel attachments and could fit mods like extended mag and Rod & Spring

You should manage the resources you use on weapons.

.44 is right on the spot

You should manage the resources you use on weapons.

.44 is right on the spot

Not sure what you even mean by this. Find it hard to "manage" 6 strong bullets to outweigh 60 medium strength bullets. Especially when you can silence the 60 bullets to one-shot every irradiated sleeper in a treasure room.

well, revolvers arent very common today, automatics and semi automatics have seriously taken the lead. now, MM said this is set decades into the future... with revolvers in the decline today, just how common would revolvers really be? wouldnt a 45 cal semi auto be a better fit? they are alot more common.

Now I was apprenticed as a gunsmith here in south texas in my youth. I did some work on revolvers. In my experience, they just arent as popular or common.

Not sure what you even mean by this. Find it hard to "manage" 6 strong bullets to outweigh 60 medium strength bullets. Especially when you can silence the 60 bullets to one-shot every irradiated sleeper in a treasure room.

No matter how loud and powerfull a gun could act and behave, it have it`s limits. On the other way, we have zeds that have their own limits. Two big things meet each other, there can`t be always only one winner.

Serious base damage and with the books/perks you get double damage on the 3rd and triple damage on the 6th round.

Hence why I see the magnum as the sledgehammer of the guns. If you miss with it or if there's too many zombies in your path, you're in a bit of a pickle, but if you time your shots and can get enough time to recover, the magnum can be a pretty formidable gun.

I still prefer the pistol though. :p

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived