Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

I'd like to make it a lot more difficulty/impossible to find firearms the first 10 levels or so. You could find broken ones and salvage the parts to craft one early game.

Make low quality guns do low quality damage , misfire , blow up in your face , jam or shoot yourself in the leg putting it away or drawing it out. make them non repairable if they're below yellow. Much better option than making them impossible to find while also Making finding a good one harder and worth it.

Same could be done with everything else low quality. Cheap tools break all the time right? head breaks off your cheap stone tools. Handle breaks off your hammer etc.

Things to think about.

-IPWT-

Now just wait a minute. Your argument changing all tool repairs to repair kits was that repairs were over complicated, and we shouldn't have to lug iron and steel with us to repair them.

But now we'll have that same old repair system you hated for tools but in the vehicles instead, and have to lug all of those parts around with us in the vehicles.

I'm not understanding how this makes sense to you but tool repair using thier base forged material did not.

Imho for consistency tools should either need the old repair materials requirements back, or vehicles should just need repair kits. (The former old tool repair system is more in line what you have in mind for player and vehicle repairs.) Repair kits could just be removed, and everything that needs repairs could just require base materials like pistol parts for pistols, or mechanical parts for wrenches.

That would also create a value in finding a low level gun to scrap for fixing your higher level gun, and encourage scavenging for repair parts.

Btw, sounds good to me, as long as everything has consistent systems in place.

Hey now! Let's not discourage any complex system designs. Chances are they might eventually end up streamlined but lets start with something interesting at least...

The main thing is that a broken arm is a significant event and should require a significant action (cast). A vehicle breakdown everyone can relate to and will need something specific for the major events, like nose diving off a skyscraper, such as a new engine or radiator. Those are big events designed to throw the player for a loop. Needing 5 ingredients to repair a basic item isn't good, but once in a while have to find a radiator after I drove wrecklessly non stop? That feels interesting and helps balance vehicles. So we will continue to streamline repair of most things but we want vehicles and criticals to be significant for players.

This feels like trolling the player, rather than adding interesting survival elements to the game. To be on the safe side now, you'll need to carry full set of car parts in case the game glitches out and your vehicle gets wrecked.

Make low quality guns do low quality damage , misfire , blow up in your face , jam or shoot yourself in the leg putting it away or drawing it out. make them non repairable if they're below yellow. Much better option than making them impossible to find while also Making finding a good one harder and worth it.

Same could be done with everything else low quality. Cheap tools break all the time right? head breaks off your cheap stone tools. Handle breaks off your hammer etc.

Things to think about.

-IPWT-

I really like the idea of early game finds being low quality or broken and that guns and tools become broken if they are tan or orange and can't be repaired.

I'd like to make it a lot more difficulty/impossible to find firearms the first 10 levels or so. You could find broken ones and salvage the parts to craft one early game.

If you implement the caveman firearms that you were talking about then this would be perfect. I just made the blunderbuss in my Insane - always sprint game out of necessity; something I would never do on default settings. Feels good.

Screenshot-120.png

I really like the idea of early game finds being low quality or broken and that guns and tools become broken if they are tan or orange and can't be repaired.

I’d rather it be completely random instead of each playthrough be similar. Okay I’m level 20, time to find my level 2 pistol....

Zombie dogs were just added to the burnt biome, but could the team please add a new model for the burnt zombie dogs? Hell hounds with a fiery texture would be nice. The zombie dogs' black texture will make them difficult to see from far away. The occasional zombie bears in the burnt biome are already terrifying to deal with.

Hey now! Let's not discourage any complex system designs. Chances are they might eventually end up streamlined but lets start with something interesting at least...

I can't argue with this reply! ;)

Next thing we know we'll get better at repairing vehicles by doing it often.... ;)

This feels like trolling the player, rather than adding interesting survival elements to the game. To be on the safe side now, you'll need to carry full set of car parts in case the game glitches out and your vehicle gets wrecked.

That is assuming we're going to be harsh and stupid. Right now you can nose dive your gyro to the roof top of shamway and grab all the loot. Bust out two railings and launch off of there and get all that loot for 0 player risk, maybe 30 damage to your gyro. This system solves that, smashing into metal going full speed should give your vehicle a critical injury. Driving over a few things at 100 heath? No, minor damage. You will need probably several heavy impacts to get a critical injury on a player or vehicle, so we'll be fair about it, and yes it will be interesting.

People who want to lug around all those parts can, but it should be perfectly safe to drive on roads with caution. Unless we change things, just keep a spare vehicle in your pocket, that takes less slots that car parts.

Making repair not possible on brown and orange would help with early game scrounging for sure. It would be like that one zombie game criminal something years ago monolith made where every weapon was throw away. The problem is consistency. Not spawning guns until higher levels will help. Sure they would be a chance, but low. Most the time finding broken guns or parts on low gs loot boxes will promote crafting.

If you implement the caveman firearms that you were talking about then this would be perfect. I just made the blunderbuss in my Insane - always sprint game out of necessity; something I would never do on default settings. Feels good.

Screenshot-120.png

I'm not sure caveman firearms are necessary. We can build a bow and the ultimate caveman firearm called blunderbuss already. It worked well that way for many many alphas. The only problem was that the blunderbuss was too obscure so new players often didn't notice it existed and older players forgot about it again.

I see Zombie dogs have been added to the burnt forest in 18.2...

How about "Hell Hounds" that are essentially a mix between Burn Victims and Zombie Dogs... Fast, and can set you on fire.

Yes please! More zombie varieties (even "special" versions of existing zombies) would be great.

MM

I think that maximum stamina should be tied not to food - but to health.

That would be terrible. If you get in a pinch and go low health you won't be able to survive just because on top of being low health your stamina is reduced to nothing. Imagine bleeding too. It's already deadly and annoying enough, if on top of that every point you bleed also bled stamina...

That would be terrible. If you get in a pinch and go low health you won't be able to survive just because on top of being low health your stamina is reduced to nothing. Imagine bleeding too. It's already deadly and annoying enough, if on top of that every point you bleed also bled stamina...

Was just about to post that very same thought. Not good.

There should be another experimental starting in a week or two.

Thank you so much! Looks like I have plenty of time to dump into 18.2. Thank you for actually clarifying 'soon' because that could really mean anything; days? Weeks? End of the month? Everything is soon compared to forever...

You have now almost the same, only from food. It's terrible for me.

This could be solved by some buffs, such as painkillers (how do they work in reality).

You have now almost the same, only from food. It's terrible for me.

This could be solved by some buffs, such as painkillers (how do they work in reality).

Well, I don't know about you, but I lose stamina in real life if I'm even just a little hungry. The working world learned of this, and the lunch break was born.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived