Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Well ISS is confusing to new players, most of the team didn't even understand it when they got to play A18. Why is my max health damaged? No clue. Then things like broken legs were fun and communicated well and created lots of interesting stories. So the idea was get rid of the confusing part, add more of the fun and interesting parts and it should be a nice system then.

We'll have stun which leads to concussions, cuts, deep lacerations (requires a first aid kit which has a sewing kit as part of the recipe) that causes periodic bleeding until treated, abrasions, broken legs, broken arms (slow reload, power attacks hurt the player 1hp, slower aim, etc) and a few other surprises. But the entire system is governed by a crit manager that decides if you get a crit or not. We'll have some protection in there for cheap crits too, so generally it will be like infection, if your armored up and high health you will be unlikely to get a crit (aside from broken legs). But the more beat up you get, and if you take a flurry of hits, then the likeliness of getting one goes up.

I'm really excited about it. It will communicate just like infection, with a debuff telling you exactly why your max health is damaged, and the amount with a number, and full description in the active effects.

Then for A20 we'll have the same setup for vehicle criticals, flat tires, punctured radiator, etc and specific parts to fix those problems.

Finally... Getting away from simplification. Now, let's talk lbd.

/Runs away

A slider would be useless because the AA post processing algorithms don't work that way. FXAA has one choice fast mode or not. SMAA has low/medium/high, but low/medium look like FXAA, so those will not be a choice.

I would not put features on the list until they seem releasable. Putting prototype features on the list and then having to remove them if there is an issue for A19 would disappoint people and looks bad.

Bandits using LBD flying mounts with light sabers and futuristic algorithms about AI prototypes confirmed!

@Madmole In what year "7 Days To Die" sets in? Missing a modern look (furniture, paint textures, clothing, etc.) but I guess It was intentional to look that way. :02.47-tranquillity:

By the way I'm very happy that all the bars (food, thirst) are getting back into the main screen! GUI definitelly needs some more love...

In the original brainstorm 2034 was when the bombs dropped. Might be 2040 now. For you guys running persistent servers its probably 2080 lol..

oh thank Goodness!

I can't wait to see the new zombies!

in fact that's the thing in A19 i Really want!! everything else is Good but new zombie looks! :D

New zombies will take quite a while, you might see 1-3 new (replacing an old) zombies in A19. We're still staffing up to tackle this task, we hired one new artist (5 now) and are getting some sub contractors to assist. Joey is working on bandits, Justin is working on converting everything to pbr linear, Yongha is working on weapons/drones, Raner is on special effects/HUD mockups and Hung is working on new env art for the designers to be able to do the commercial overhaul, so as you can see noone is available to work on zombies or other characters. Once 19 is done they can gang up on it probably.

It would require changes to spawn some boss first and ensure he gets there first, probably not worth the effort.

i think he was talking about just a Big zombie with a Horde! not leading it?

maybe later on when we get new special zombies we could get on that like a Super Obese Zombie , zombie that can charge at walls and stuff (maybe he could uses the old behemoth model?) screamer could lead go with zombies on horde night but if they scream! blood shoots up in the air and hits the ground like a Artillery bombardment!

- - - Updated - - -

New zombies will take quite a while, you might see 1-3 new (replacing an old) zombies in A19. We're still staffing up to tackle this task, we hired one new artist (5 now) and are getting some sub contractors to assist. Joey is working on bandits, Justin is working on converting everything to pbr linear, Yongha is working on weapons/drones, Raner is on special effects/HUD mockups and Hung is working on new env art for the designers to be able to do the commercial overhaul, so as you can see noone is available to work on zombies or other characters. Once 19 is done they can gang up on it probably.

well still from what i saw with zombie Joe. i think i like were it will be going

i can only imagine for now how it would look if all of them! (crap now i have to draw some up)

You will get a hungry white pop up at 75% with no stamina penalty yet. At 50% your popout turns amber and you lose 25% of your stamina. From there down it degrades all the way to 25% at 0 food.

Yeah, one thing to add. You don't want it dropping below 33% or far worse things start to happen.

That goes for water to.

which of the 1-3 old zombies are being replaced?

You will get a hungry white pop up at 75% with no stamina penalty yet. At 50% your popout turns amber and you lose 25% of your stamina. From there down it degrades all the way to 25% at 0 food.

I was always embarrassed that the character at the beginning of the journey at level 1 loses 25% of endurance with 50 units of food, and at level 50 this happens already at 75 units of food, at level 100, we lose 25% of endurance already at 100 units of food, and at level 200 it occurs on 150 units of food, etc.

That is, it turns out that the more levels we get, the more food we ultimately need, so as not to get a stamina penalty.

That is, in this way you are trying to replace food spoilage in the game? The chance of food poisoning also exists for these purposes, if I remember correctly?

What happens if the trigger does not work with percentages, but with real units of food and water? Will it ruin the balance?

which of the 1-3 old zombies are being replaced?

i kinda asked the same thing and i got this. but it was mostly about if any zeds would be removed!

Its determined on a case by case basis. What you said and probably basic stuff, like "what can we do to get more miles out of this zombie" such as the lumberjack? Simple, defrost him and he works in the forests too.

so what i think what madmole said was that the Lumberjack could be turned into that later on, now the only zombie we Know 100% is going to be updated is "Zombie joe" or "Infected Survivor"

But i hope that they turn some of the zombies into something different. let me explain

Say the Biker! how many biker looking areas are there in game? not many so i think turning him into a Undead Weightlifter would be cool, give it the sound of the demolisher and almost the same body look but different cloths and Bomb Undead Bodybuilder!

Football players and Cheerleaders should be scraped and be replaced with maybe a few new zombies later on (what that is idk but if i gave a list of ideas here we will be here all day)

Stripers im Mixed on but i would just make them a Super decomposed woman that the only thing left is her Painies! (snowdog ;) )

Cowboys could have a Demi Jacket, a Belt , cowboy boots and hat! some denim pants. but their face is Almost Mummified and they lost all their facial hair! due to the heat!

Worker could have brown jeans, a Rotten shirt, their vest , Some brown gloves , their hard hat, army boots that are covered in Mud , Blood and god knows what!

nurses could look almost the same by no face mask!, covered up shirt , a Rotten Skirt and has no shoes!

and Scientist could be in Lab coats but their Face is So rotten that you couldnt tell who they we're

but for the Normal zombies like the "rotten Corpse" they just look like a Rotten CORPSE!

but Special zombies on the other hand should look as Mutated and Nasty as Possible! examples are!

Screamers just look like Small Zombies with a hole in their chest showing lungs and they were kids but the elements changed them!

Spitters/cops should just remove the Cop part and stick to some Super fat zombie with Acid reflux! they could have a Armored Gut and their nose and Lips are gone due to them melting off!

Ferals would look like Super zombies! with Bones growing out of their back! sharp claws, a Extended jaw! and they look scary!

Spiders would Look Wild and Crazy! they would have a Large jaw with long teeth, long claws, a Thick Skull, and Almost "Digitigrade" Leg structure!

Burn Victims would just Look fully Burned! no cloths!

Dogs i would kinda keep the same look but also kinda make them Look like a Wolf!

bears would look kinda the same but, their face is more Skeletal Face and the spin would kinda show!

Vulture would look the same, same with the Demolisher!

I was always embarrassed that the character at the beginning of the journey at level 1 loses 25% of endurance with 50 units of food, and at level 50 this happens already at 75 units of food, at level 100, we lose 25% of endurance already at 100 units of food, and at level 200 it occurs on 150 units of food, etc.

That is, it turns out that the more levels we get, the more food we ultimately need, so as not to get a stamina penalty.

That is, in this way you are trying to replace food spoilage in the game? The chance of food poisoning also exists for these purposes, if I remember correctly?

What happens if the trigger does not work with percentages, but with real units of food and water? Will it ruin the balance?

It won't be a percentage, but a flat number like 75 food. Its not cool to need 150 food or whatever at a high level to have 100% stamina. Stamina will scale as you level, but your food bar will probably be the same, and go to 100.

It was never cool to micromanage food and be 99% full to be losing performance so we're aiming to correct that with these changes.

What about attaching an "iced" over Unity prefab to zombies in the snow biome, triggered by a buff at below freezing temps?

Would make the whole batch dynamic and proper for each biome..

Sounds cool in theory but implementing a generic effect like that doesn't look good usually or you end up making custom snow clods to attach to every zombie, then your running code to attach stuff, eating up CPU, etc. Better to use a shader trick IMO than a prefab or just not worry about it at all. Maybe Faatal can do something cool with a shader we'll see. But its kind of why we got rid of the dynamic snow shader, it had too many bugs and where do you stop? "My car doesn't have snow piled up on it" bug reports come in. Its better to just focus on game play and not get buried in the weeds of immersion, let the AAA companies do that.

Archived