Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

sounds really Cool!

im wishing you and your company luck when making other games!

Thank you for your well wishes, but let me say something about luck.

Luck is for people who are out of touch with reality and think success is a roll of the dice. Executing a plan with predictable results is just plain hard work and grinding. Let me phrase it like this: Do you feel lucky if you work your ass off on the track and work up to a 5 minute mile? Was McDonalds lucky for inventing the best tasting burger in the world called a big mac? No it wasn't, and it wasn't a great burger at all. What they did was streamline the process of opening a restaurant and getting food out as fast as possible and then duplicate. There was a NEED for faster food, half an hour wait at the drive through was unacceptable.

At the end of the day you simply have to see an opportunity and put the work in before someone else does. Luck is for losers hoping to win the lottery because they aren't investing in themselves on a daily basis, which leads to success. Get really good at something by practicing and grinding and make money at it, simple. Winners don't care about luck because they already dealt with hard times and persevered, and no matter what happens they have the right attitude to handle the difficulties that eventually come.

I was devastated when my first studio went under. It was like my 2nd family. But it was so awesome, the best years of my life at that time, that I just couldn't see my life any other way, so I reforged it, and something 1000x better, knowing that one day it would pay off, and if it didn't? So what, I loved it. It would be my passionate hobby the rest of my life and I was ok with that.

I read a life changing story about luck one time. A miner in the 1800's sold everything and bought a small mine in California. He didn't hire a professional miner though to help him. He dug and dug and never found anything finally all his money was gone and he gave up. He sold it for next to nothing so he could get back to Canada where he came from. The guy who bought the mine from him hired a professional. He came in surveyed it, and said dig here a couple feet. They dug in a few feet and found a huge deposit of gold and the guy made millions in the 1800's. Was the new owner lucky? No. He hired a professional to tell him the most probable place to find the gold and it paid off. So the moral of the story is, don't give up, surround yourself with professionals and you might be just inches away from huge success.

You're both wrong. The best fast food burger is the Baconator and the best fast food sandwich is the Wendy's Spicy Chicken.

Wrong. Every tried Vera's Burgers? They're as thick as your wrist. (Adult size comparison here.) Their double doubles are exquisite.

Edit: Had to edit the comparison a few times. I didn't even bother checking. :p

Wrong. Every tried Vera's Burgers? They're as thick as your wrist. (Adult size comparison here.) Their double doubles are exquisite.

Edit: Had to edit the comparison a few times. I didn't even bother checking. :p

Look up culvers hamburgers. Great smash burgers. 😂

While I LOVE McD and the Big Mac is da bomb, they are not the best burgers, what they are is consistent. If I go to BFE and everyplace is a crap shoot as far as quality and such, I know that the Big Mac in BFE will taste the same way as it does in Tulsa. kinda the Devil you know.

Thank you for your well wishes, but let me say something about luck.

Luck is for people who are out of touch with reality and think success is a roll of the dice. Executing a plan with predictable results is just plain hard work and grinding.

You want to say that if I can repeat everything that you did, I will become like you?

I think random events also play a big role, and the probability that they will happen is determined by "luck", no matter what different people put into this concept)

"Luck" governs that area of events that we cannot take into account in our plans.

Especially when it comes to game development. You could choose the theme of the game, which could become unpopular after a couple of years of development, but this did not happen. So you're lucky)

You want to say that if I can repeat everything that you did, I will become like you?

I think random events also play a big role, and the probability that they will happen is determined by "luck", no matter what different people put into this concept)

"Luck" governs that area of events that we cannot take into account in our plans.

Especially when it comes to game development. You could choose the theme of the game, which could become unpopular after a couple of years of development, but this did not happen. So you're lucky)

No we made the right moves with our plans to keep the game fun. Its a skill to visualize or predict what would be fun and then having the design sense to break that down and execute it in a way that speaks to players and then meshes well with the current game. Luck has nothing to do with it.

We'd be lucky if we just released alpha 1 and then people just kept buying it with no updates, but no, we work hard and update the game, listen to customers, and improve the product, so that is a predictable outcome and why the game is still popular. Our focus has been to make a game that people can play for 1000's of hours and it becomes a big hobby and memorable game for most fans. You could maybe say we're lucky that a big studio with deep pockets didn't run with our idea in 2013, but its so crazy noone would try.

No we made the right moves with our plans to keep the game fun. Its a skill to visualize or predict what would be fun and then having the design sense to break that down and execute it in a way that speaks to players and then meshes well with the current game. Luck has nothing to do with it.

We'd be lucky if we just released alpha 1 and then people just kept buying it with no updates, but no, we work hard and update the game, listen to customers, and improve the product, so that is a predictable outcome and why the game is still popular. Our focus has been to make a game that people can play for 1000's of hours and it becomes a big hobby and memorable game for most fans. You could maybe say we're lucky that a big studio with deep pockets didn't run with our idea in 2013, but its so crazy noone would try.

Making the game moddable right from the start was also one of the better decisions made and kept people playing in between the alpha releases.

@madmole

this is the best explanation i ever heard so far, yes you really have shown you listen to your fans and loyal players.

I may not have been here since the start but i can say the game 7 days to die has actually changed my life in a number of ways.

It gave me a community which i now host for everyday 365, 24/7 for the past 5 years.

My community taught me to listen and never give up.

I failed so many times made so many mistakes and i learned from each one.

After 5 years I have matured in alot of way thanks to this game.

I consider myself a good leader with many things to learn yet.

But your right luck has nothing to do with success, you listen to your players you adept as needed and you plan and then produce with results you worked and planned for.

Thank You Joel for giving a Plains Cree Native American From Canada, a different way to see life. this game and my group inspired me to become better and 5 years later here i am. living off the rez and building a completely player supported volunteer community for 7 days to die.

7 days to die was the start in a positive turn in my life.

It's almost like you take someone saying good luck as an insult. It's not. Someone can work just as hard as you have and still not make it. Things completely out of your control DID happen that also helped. They could have just as easily happened in a way that hurt. That doesn't take away from the fact you worked your a$$ off and are really good at what you do. But it is a fact of life in a universe ruled by chaotic influences.

You're both wrong. The best fast food burger is the Baconator and the best fast food sandwich is the Wendy's Spicy Chicken.

You guys are all insane. Bunz took the crown from Pharo's took the crown from Lucky Boy. If I ever eat a burger better than a Bunz burger, I will seriously question whether I've died and gone to heaven.

You guys are all insane. Bunz took the crown from Pharo's took the crown from Lucky Boy. If I ever eat a burger better than a Bunz burger, I will seriously question whether I've died and gone to heaven.

Does it really count as a "fast food burger" if there is no drive-thru? My vote (drive-thru requirement) is In N' Out; specifically the 4x4 animal style.

I hope Roland gives this eventual thread a good name...

@madmole

this is the best explanation i ever heard so far, yes you really have shown you listen to your fans and loyal players.

I may not have been here since the start but i can say the game 7 days to die has actually changed my life in a number of ways.

It gave me a community which i now host for everyday 365, 24/7 for the past 5 years.

My community taught me to listen and never give up.

I failed so many times made so many mistakes and i learned from each one.

After 5 years I have matured in alot of way thanks to this game.

I consider myself a good leader with many things to learn yet.

But your right luck has nothing to do with success, you listen to your players you adept as needed and you plan and then produce with results you worked and planned for.

Thank You Joel for giving a Plains Cree Native American From Canada, a different way to see life. this game and my group inspired me to become better and 5 years later here i am. living off the rez and building a completely player supported volunteer community for 7 days to die.

7 days to die was the start in a positive turn in my life.

That is great to hear!

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived