madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

HOLD UP!

when did you become a Moderator?

im gone for 2 days and this happens! i

they Grow up so fast *wipes tears*

Yeah, they told me I had to pay my account rent now or they would throw me out.

That could be the basis of a great bug report. Hint hint :cocksure:

It's not a bug, it's just the player would be destroying the wooden plank upgrades on the door and the door itself simultaneously, so the game doesn't detect that you destroyed the door (first) thus you don't get the knob. :p

ok i will pop. i am sure i will get flamed for this but i feel it needs to be said. so...

<SNIP>

AND TIDY YOUR ROOM!!!!! ha ha ha

giphy.gif?cid=790b76116673f3a2344857d8265321b20c47e2bcddd1d443&rid=giphy.gif

It's not a bug, it's just the player would be destroying the wooden plank upgrades on the door and the door itself simultaneously, so the game doesn't detect that you destroyed the door (first) thus you don't get the knob. :p

That is a good explanation why the bug probably happens. But to me this definitely falls under the definition of a bug, i.e. something in the game doesn't work like it should according to in game description.

That is a good explanation why the bug probably happens. But to me this definitely falls under the definition of a bug, i.e. something in the game doesn't work like it should according to in game description.

I'll report it, but it seems more like a side-effect of having a really good axe.

Any normal zombie you see that has a glowing green variant will be deleted and some new radiated ones made from the ground up to look mutated will be made to replace them. Probably about 3-4 unique ones, plus cops and wights off the top of my head.

1413819400_Ohyeah.thumb.jpg.805a190f7fe494a71488484bf0e60428.jpg

i will do what i must! im sorry MM.

Madmole, are you working on a book series for the junk turrets and stun baton in A19?

Yes.

Question.

Do you plan to add all kinds of buffs to all the food the player cooks? For example, a different duration of the "metabolism" buff or other useful buffs. Especially if these recipes require some rare ingredients such as eggs.

Reasoning (can be ignored)

Now food is mainly different in how much it reduces thirst or hunger. Exceptions are special recipes.

In the end, it turns out that I just choose one or two simple recipes for the whole game and use the other extremely rarely or not at all, since their advantages are not enough motivation to find the ingredients for their creation.

An example of such recipes is pumpkin pie and blueberry pie. To create them, you need eggs that cannot be grown in the garden.

And the effects of these recipes are the same as those of others, which require more affordable products, such as meat, fat, potatoes, corn, mushrooms, etc.

I'll be looking at adding more benefits to the recipes with more hard to acquire ingredients. For A19, the new super foods we added have 0% food poisoning because they are using 2 canned ingredients.

Some cool stuff happening in the modding world right now!

And this is NOT the thread to share that info.

It's debatable.

However, the fix would be that excess damage does NOT carry over to the next door stage so you would "lose damage". /shrug

That is literally the definition of a bug. You could use that as an example in a programming class.

It's debatable.

However, the fix would be that excess damage does NOT carry over to the next door stage so you would "lose damage". /shrug

I wouldn't mind that fix anyway. I don't recall exactly what the other issue was but I know this wasn't the first time a small bug/inconvenience was caused by the damage bleeding over to the next stage.

And why would that be the only fix? The bleed over HAS to be being applied to the new "object" or the new object wouldn't get destroyed from it. So it should/may be possible to trigger the door knob "harvest" and still have the excess damage. Though, like I said, I wouldn't mind the damage not carrying over.

Though I would imagine this is such an edge case it can't be considered high priority. It's a minor inconvenience at worst.

Edited by Gnomaana (see edit history)

Though I would imagine this is such an edge case it can't be considered high priority. It's a minor inconvenience at worst.

My thoughts exactly. Just a small issue I happened upon, just thought I'd share it in case anyone is hellbent on acquiring and salvaging every bit of brass there is in the game and cannot take this tiny sacrifice.

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

That is, if we get back food and water bars - we should Thank You for this? :)

....soooo what else don't we know about You? :)

I've been wanting to know - which of You guys developed graphics for the old GUI that was before A13?

Uhhh, what do you want to know?

Raner did them, he's the guy who does all the icons. He's been mocking up a functionally same (nearly) new GUI.

Uhhh, what do you want to know?

Raner did them, he's the guy who does all the icons. He's been mocking up a functionally same (nearly) new GUI.

Well, if I may pipe in, how did you get into the video game development business? (Not sure if that term is technically correct.) I'm quite curious. :)

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

Well, if I may pipe in, how did you get into the video game development business? (Not sure if that term is technically correct.) I'm quite curious. :)

It's pronounced: "Stripping."

@Madmole, sorry big guy, I get excited sometimes.

Will the nightvision goggles be usefull when the fog hits? Perhaps we can see way further with them like 30-40 blocks.

Maybe a fog light mod for vehicles in future. 😂

@Madmole, sorry big guy, I get excited sometimes.

So do I, but I dont go posting pictures of it in the forum. Send me a P.M. if anyone is interested tho.

I'll be looking at adding more benefits to the recipes with more hard to acquire ingredients. For A19, the new super foods we added have 0% food poisoning because they are using 2 canned ingredients.

That sounds promising.

I started making mods for doom 2, then duke3d and people liked them so I made a partial conversion for Doom2 that added new enemies, behaviors, sounds, several levels. I recruited some help but and it took a year, but it covered all the major aspects of making a game at the time. It won some awards and I loved doing it, so I risked the family business and borrowed millions of dollars to make Gore in 98.

Gore took 5 years, and sold a decent amount of copies, but the publisher didn't want to invest in a sequel and took the money and ran. We were out of credit at the bank and the royalty advance they gave us wasn't enough to keep going. We scored a crappy deal with Activision that kept us going until 2004 when we went out of business and I went back to fixing cars for a year. (insert sad meme here) Rick moved and got work in the industry. In 2005 I got a small deal to make Patriots and gave up car repair for good. After Patriots was finished I worked for NC Soft on Dungeon Runners a goofy MMO that got cancelled in 2008. At that time I got into real estate and invested all my cash into it.

For the next several years I acquired more rental properties and built up sweat equity. By day I fixed up old foreclosed houses and rented them out, at night I worked on Oblivion mods and improved my game design chops. Those got a lot of attention and downloads and pacified my creative desires and iterating live (like the EA model we have now) on my mods allowed me to take a decent idea and hone into a masterpiece. It was also good networking, one of the guys I worked with ended up investing into my real estate business allowing me to expand faster. The other guy went on to work at Obsidian, and probably worked on Outer Worlds.

Come late 2012 I became a paper millionaire and had enough cash flow to live on and wanted to get back into the game industry making my own games, and that famous Thanksgiving transpired that gave birth to the idea of 7 days to die, a survival horror game that would blend elements of Minecraft, Fallout, and The Walking Dead tv show.

So in a nutshell, start making mods, network with people and believe in yourself. Its 1000x easier today with early access and people willing to put their credit card into a computer and download digital games. Back in the day you were at the mercy of publishers to get your product out there and you built 80-90% of the game on your own, then got some funding and got robbed to bring your game to the market. Now you can build a small demo, go to EA, and make a fortune if your game is fun and it stands out in the crowd.

There are also game schools where you can learn and they have pretty good job placement. So its easier to get in now too. Either way its work and learn during your spare time and build a resume.

• Like 1

PdvGnud.jpg

Some cool stuff happening in the modding world right now!

Ronald McDonald turned into a zombie? 😂

I started making mods for doom 2, then duke3d and people liked them so I made a partial conversion for Doom2 that added new enemies, behaviors, sounds, several levels. I recruited some help but and it took a year, but it covered all the major aspects of making a game at the time. It won some awards and I loved doing it, so I risked the family business and borrowed millions of dollars to make Gore in 98.

Gore took 5 years, and sold a decent amount of copies, but the publisher didn't want to invest in a sequel and took the money and ran. We were out of credit at the bank and the royalty advance they gave us wasn't enough to keep going. We scored a crappy deal with Activision that kept us going until 2004 when we went out of business and I went back to fixing cars for a year. (insert sad meme here) Rick moved and got work in the industry. In 2005 I got a small deal to make Patriots and gave up car repair for good. After Patriots was finished I worked for NC Soft on Dungeon Runners a goofy MMO that got cancelled in 2008. At that time I got into real estate and invested all my cash into it.

For the next several years I acquired more rental properties and built up sweat equity. By day I fixed up old foreclosed houses and rented them out, at night I worked on Oblivion mods and improved my game design chops. Those got a lot of attention and downloads and pacified my creative desires and iterating live (like the EA model we have now) on my mods allowed me to take a decent idea and hone into a masterpiece. It was also good networking, one of the guys I worked with ended up investing into my real estate business allowing me to expand faster. The other guy went on to work at Obsidian, and probably worked on Outer Worlds.

Come late 2012 I became a paper millionaire and had enough cash flow to live on and wanted to get back into the game industry making my own games, and that famous Thanksgiving transpired that gave birth to the idea of 7 days to die, a survival horror game that would blend elements of Minecraft, Fallout, and The Walking Dead tv show.

So in a nutshell, start making mods, network with people and believe in yourself. Its 1000x easier today with early access and people willing to put their credit card into a computer and download digital games. Back in the day you were at the mercy of publishers to get your product out there and you built 80-90% of the game on your own, then got some funding and got robbed to bring your game to the market. Now you can build a small demo, go to EA, and make a fortune if your game is fun and it stands out in the crowd.

There are also game schools where you can learn and they have pretty good job placement. So its easier to get in now too. Either way its work and learn during your spare time and build a resume.

Thanks for sharing MM. When going to college, I really wanted to go to school for game dev but back them there were very little programs compared to today. Hopefully your story inspires and encourages many. 😎👍

Sounds like quite an adventure, eventually leading to where you are now. Thanks for sharing MM, it was a good and interesting read. It definitely goes to show that good work, dedication, heart, vision, and a little bit of luck can go a long way. (Or a lot of luck, depending on individual circumstances.)